Headlamp only?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Headlamp only?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Headlamp only?

Does anyone ride with a helmet light only? That's my plan, but I've never done night riding before.

mtbr member
    I am currently riding with only a headlamp.
    Amazon.com : Bright Eyes Rechargeable POWERFUL 1200 LUMENS Bike Headlight - 4 NEWLY UPGRADED FEATURES and ADDITIONS (See 2nd image) - FREE TAILLIGHT For Limited Time - WATERPROOF - No Tools - LIFETIME WARRANTY : Bike Headlights : Sports & Outdoors
    It works fairly well, and far better helmet mounted than on the bars. I am riding pretty tight and twisty singletrack. This light has a pretty bright spot which causes me to focus too much on just what is inside the spot. I am riding with it on high for about 2 hours. When I am on wider sections with gentle bends rather than tight turns, this light is prefect.
    I have ordered a Nitefighter BT21 to have two lights with the idea that lighting up a larger area will be an improvement.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's probably better to have both, but you can do headlamp only. The bar lights casts shadows that help you identify and judge objects such as roots and rocks. But it's also important to keep a spare light in case your main light breaks. So you might as well put that on your handlebar!

I would also recommend a light that's newer and more capable than the one Smiley linked too. At least get one of the dual emitter lights such as the Yinding, Solarstorm X3, or Nitefighter BT21. They are still pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    +1^^
    I know several riders using just a headlamp, and each to their own, but considering I have had a lamp go dead mid ride I was glad to have been riding with two. Going pitch black down some black diamond isn't something I want to experience. Two lamps IMO is the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    Does anyone ride with a helmet light only? That's my plan, but I've never done night riding before.
    You can ride with a helmet light only but considering that as inexpensive as some bike lights are you will quickly find out that a "bar / helmet" set-up is way better ( for riding single track ) and WAY safer.

psycho cyclo addict
    Somehow I got used to a single light- most of my riding cronies have two lights. I generally run with a 500 lumen cordless niterider. It went dead during a ride once because I forgot to charge it.

For longer rides I use a CygoLite 600 wide beam (helmet mounted) with big battery in my pocket.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

achiever
    No. Run two in case one fails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I run one on the bars (where am I now) and a bit of a brighter one on my helmet (where do I want to be next). 3rd light in my pack just in case.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    I carry a basic flashlight in my pack just in case, better some light than nothing, should my light go out on me. One light and no backup does not seem like a good plan to me.

I have no idea how many lumens my light actually is, it is rated at 1200, I am sure it is much less than that. It works, I can ride pretty tight technical singletrack with it but I am looking forward to adding a second light.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" Greg LeMond

RAKC
    You can ride only one rolling in a group but never go out with only one if ur riding solo. Even if its a cheap one on the bars that is just there for an emergency. Always have a back up to get you out of the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Even the best lights can fail, it is just less probabilty this would happen. So don't be "smart" and run two lights on descends (at least). This is most important safety rule. Period!

Of course anyone can do what he wants, it's their life and their body.

local trails rider
    Another vote for two lights, both for quality of lighting and backup.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

I like turtles
    It will not be ideal as the light will only point where the bike is pointing. If you have to do one, put it on the helmet so you can look around. Two lights is really the best setup for a number of reasons.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

EAT MORE GRIME
    headlamp only kills depth perception

and everything looks flatter than it really is,

making it too easy to stuff yourself into rocks

imho if only one light, should be on bars