have you had any quality issues with the exposure toro mtb light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

have you had any quality issues with the exposure toro mtb light?

I recently received an Exposure Toro mtb light. The instructions say to fully charge it before first use and then charge it for an additional hour after it displays a 100% charge. That seemed a bit weird considering no other piece of modern electronics has that in the instructions.

So yesterday I charged the light to 100% and then an additional hour after that. This afternoon, < 24 hours later, the power indicator on the light read 83% without any use. Has this been your experience with Exposure lights as well? Any chargeable device that loses almost 20% of its power in < 24 hours without any use seems to be below the bar on quality.

The instructions have a "maintenance" section which states:

"For extended periods when your light is not in use fully recharge the light once a month, as a long duration with no charge is detrimental to the cells."

I'm not aware of any other modern electronics which suffer "detrimental" consequences if not fully recharged once/month and if I don't night ride over the winter, I don't want to perform monthly maintenance on something that I'm not using.

These weird little things in the instructions make me wonder if there are other weird little things about the light that I'm not yet aware of that others here may have experienced and may be able to share?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Your light simple have a very high parasitic drain!!!!

Flashlights with a mechanc Clicky have no drain.
    Flashlights with elektronik switches hae still a Parasitic drain"like stand bye mode"

Good flashlights have a Parasiric drain below <0,1ma, and last many Years before your battery will be drain to empty.

Your Flashlight drains ~10ma or somethink like this range.

I simple remove the Li-ion batterys from Flashlights if i will not use it for long time or every use.
    Befor you want use your light put in Fully charged batterys an the Problem is solved.

It also will help to check the batterys.
    remove the 3x 2900mah 18650 Batterys and put it in into a External charger with Voltage reading.
    make it full to 4,2 Volt and let them rest some days , check voltage again.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    ... < 24 hours later, the power indicator on the light read 83% without any use. ..Any chargeable device that loses almost 20% of its power in < 24 hours without any use seems to be below the bar on quality...
    Has it lost 17% of it's charge or is the charge indicator wrong? It could be either but if it were mine, I'd use it and monitor what the indicator says. Before charging it again, I'd turn it on and let it run until it switches off, fully charge it again, and see how the charge indicator behaves after that. Some of these charge indicators are adaptive and need to learn the battery discharge curve. The curve will change over time so the indicator needs to be periodically retrained. IDK for a fact that that is how the Exposure indicator works.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    After I posted my initial thread, I charged the Exposure Toro back to 100% and then charged it for an additional hour. After 24 hours, the battery display reads 98%. So it looks like the 17% original drop after 1 day may have been an initial charging quirk.

mbr.co.uk gave a rating of 10/10 to a few different Exposure mtb lights so the overall and relative quality must be good. There may have been some bias considering that MBR is based in UK and so is Exposure lights. But even all the reviews I've read online have been enthusiastic about Exposure lights, even given the high price tag. So I guess I'll keep the Exposure Toro and give it a try.

Shef Skurt
    Nov 2018
    The cell in my Exposure Diablo died after not doing the periodcally recharge, I did miss that part in the users guide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Ive got a toro and have the same issues.

its been back to exposure a few times. The answer is to leave it on overnight.

turtles make me hot
    Wow. I have a Toro and a Diablo for eight years and haven't ever had a problem with either of them. I keep thinking I should send them in for fresh batteries.
    I like turtles