Have a broken Gemini Olympia I want to mod, anyone done this?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Have a broken Gemini Olympia I want to mod, anyone done this?

So a ways back I took the front off my Olympia to check out the guts. I was shocked to see that the pcb was unevenly cut and the screw holes didn't match up perfectly. In fact there were 3 screw holes with only one screw in it.

Thought nothing of it until today when I decided to screw the bezel back on and the pins that align the optics snapped and ripped all the domes of the emitters off in the process. I'm cool with this cause I have a lot of other lights and I wasn't happy with the pcb on it anyway as it looked like a child built it (probably did, actually)

I got to thinking though... Since it's an older xm-l version, should I just try swapping in a board with neutral white l2's, get new optic and call it a day, or is there anything else more interesting? It's a 35mm housing? Maybe xp-l would work well for a flooder? Looks like it's a pretty common size so there are a decent amount of options

BTW - if considering one of these lights, the gloworm is built rock solid with perfect fitment all around. I probably won't bother with Gemini anymore, the gloworm is just a much better light

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    So a ways back I took the front off my Olympia to check out the guts. I was shocked to see that the pcb was unevenly cut and the screw holes didn't match up perfectly. In fact there were 3 screw holes with only one screw in it.

Thought nothing of it until today when I decided to screw the bezel back on and the pins that align the optics snapped and ripped all the domes of the emitters off in the process. I'm cool with this cause I have a lot of other lights and I wasn't happy with the pcb on it anyway as it looked like a child built it (probably did, actually)

I got to thinking though... Since it's an older xm-l version, should I just try swapping in a board with neutral white l2's, get new optic and call it a day, or is there anything else more interesting? It's a 35mm housing? Maybe xp-l would work well for a flooder? Looks like it's a pretty common size so there are a decent amount of options
    Do you have an pictures of the existing board? If its using the somewhat standard 32 mm 3 XML type board with Cute optics then perhaps this would be a good replacement: Noctigon XP32 MCPCB & CREE XP-L V6 3D LEDs [Noctigon XP32 XP-L V6 3D LEDs] - $23.98 : Led Flashlight-International Outdoor Store

Only thing to note about this board is it comes by default configured with the 3 LEDs in parallel and you need to have the ability to reflow one of the LEDs to make it series. I'm guessing the Gemini used a series configuration so if you email them before ordering they can supply this board configured in series for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Oddly enough it looks like it's coming in around 36 mm on my caliper which I think is off. I know that Mr mole used a wide angle lens from an mj808 and said it fit perfectly so wondering if it's the same diameter as an 808? 35mm maybe?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    Oddly enough it looks like it's coming in around 36 mm on my caliper which I think is off. I know that Mr mole used a wide angle lens from an mj808 and said it fit perfectly so wondering if it's the same diameter as an 808? 35mm maybe?
    The optics, which look like Ledil Cute 3, are 35mm but the LED boards that go with them are often 32mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Going to break out my other caliper tomorrow and try to match it up. Thinking a triple xp-l could make for a nice flood

Action LED Lights
    I've got a few XM-L Olympia boards. If you'd like to buy one let me know.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the offer, I think I'm going to do something unique with it... Maybe triple xp-l could make it even more of a flooder. At bare minimum a neutral white upgrade. I was originally going to just reflow emitters on to that board but the screw holes aren't aligned right so only one screw was holding it in. I guess they figured that was all it needed and sealed it up but it bothers me that it is kind of drilled for three screws but they just don't quite work. Either way, can make something awesome with a programmable driver and triple neutral white xp-l or xm-l2

Action LED Lights
    The one screw is just to hold it in place while it is assembled. The post on the optic press it down when the bezel is installed so that it has good thermal contact with the body.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com