Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!

Hello!

Let me begin by saying that I'm a mountain biker. And I've tried and tested over 20 different bike lights (Handlebar & helmet lights). Nothing beats the value "bang for your buck" that ITUO lights bring.
    I've used everything from $5 dollar lights from Aliexpress to $400+ lights from top manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, those lights are outstanding... but also come with a HEFTY price tag. If I just think about breaking, losing, or having one stolen, it makes my stomach churn.
    The first time I bought an ITUO light, I must admit, I was quite impressed. (A Wiz20). The build quality is phenomenal for the price, and they're also incredibly bright - I've not had a chance to test the actual lumen output, but It's definitely near the advertised range.
    My only complaint was that the clamps were made out of plastic. Though when I wrote them about this about a year ago, they told me that they had already started manufacturing aluminum clamps, and in fact, all lights I've bought since come with a very nice and sturdy aluminum clamp.

I can't stress enough how amazing their products are, and you should definitely give them a shot!

Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated in any way to ITUO - Just a very happy customer!
    Wiz20 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/mpc/A1IXL214K3EBVR
    Wiz-XP2 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/mpc/A39WKGHCEJMFEK
    Wiz-XP3 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/mpc/A8ZEIM87SEUII

EDIT - In case the coupon does not get added automatically - you can add it manually with : 15PRHKMS

ITUO Wiz-XP3 - #$138.95 - $15 coupon: $123.95
    ITUO Wiz-XP2 - $109.95 - $10 coupon: $99.95
    ITUO Wiz20 - $89-95 - $10 coupon: $89.95
    ITUO Wiz1 - $ 59.95 - $8 coupon: $51.95
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MizzrBear; 01-10-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added Discount Code

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MizzrBear View Post
    Hello!

Let me begin by saying that I'm a mountain biker. And I've tried and tested over 20 different bike lights (Handlebar & helmet lights). Nothing beats the value "bang for your buck" that ITUO lights bring.
    I've used everything from $5 dollar lights from Aliexpress to $400+ lights from top manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, those lights are outstanding... but also come with a HEFTY price tag. If I just think about breaking, losing, or having one stolen, it makes my stomach churn.
    The first time I bought an ITUO light, I must admit, I was quite impressed. (A Wiz20). The build quality is phenomenal for the price, and they're also incredibly bright - I've not had a chance to test the actual lumen output, but It's definitely near the advertised range.
    My only complaint was that the clamps were made out of plastic. Though when I wrote them about this about a year ago, they told me that they had already started manufacturing aluminum clamps, and in fact, all lights I've bought since come with a very nice and sturdy aluminum clamp.

I can't stress enough how amazing their products are, and you should definitely give them a shot!
    Thanks, those are great prices for great lights!!! Like you I've owned a lot of lights (about 40 currently) and can't think of any I've been more satisfied with than my Ituo's (Wiz20, XP2, XP3). Unless your only looking for cool white tinted lights these are the best current deal I can think of for "high performance lights".
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Mole

Is the XP3 pretty accurate as far as run time and lumens?

Thx

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Hey Mole

Is the XP3 pretty accurate as far as run time and lumens?

Thx

MB
    Yes and yes! I've had excellent luck with these lights. Here's a link to some sphere tests that RAKC did over the years (includes XP3 of course). Only real draw back to these lights is there is no support network anymore so while I've seen very few problems (except the original plastic mounts) reported, any warranty issues would require dealing with Ituo directly.
    Mole

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=2&pli=1#gid=0

mtbr member
    I have the XP3 and rate it almost as high as my Gloworm XS, nice light.

Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated in any way to ITUO - Just a very happy customer!
    Wiz-XP3 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/mpc/A8ZEIM87SEUII

EDIT - In case the coupon does not get added automatically - you can add it manually with : [FONT="]15PRHKMS [/FONT]

mtbr member
    just don't buy the Wiz 1 as a handlebar light for mountain biking, it's just too heavy. I broke the plastic mount almost immediately, they sent me the updated aluminum one and that one broke as well, this time at the mount point.

I have the Wiz-XP2 and it's awesome as a helmet mount and I CAN use the Wiz 1 as a handlebar mount on my road bike, although it looks a bit silly because its bigger then most handle bar lights and basically looks like I just strapped a flash light onto by bars, for mountain biking the repeated bouncing puts too much stress on any mount I have used, I had to stop using it on my mountain bike.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    interesting discussion but OP saying their not affiliated is false. Did enough reviews in my time for companies that they did this post because they got free stuff, but are trying to hide it.

Ituo made good lights, just a few issues with mounts and wiz20 self discharge issues in the original ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Mole

Is the battery still as efficient or close as when it was new and do you know what cells are used. Also, is there a noticeable drop in lumens after like 10 minutes or 30 min run time. Any graphs showing lumen output during it's run time?

Looks like a real good light for the money. Most 2300 lumen lights are around a hundred more or so. I'd only be using it on the bars and understand I can get a mount from Vanc if I don't like the supplied one.

Thx

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    ......and understand I can get a mount from Vanc if I don't like the supplied one.
    The XP series are GoPro compatible so if the factory bar mount is unsatisfactory there are countless options for third party bar mounts. I do make a replacement GoPro adapter for the XP series lights. Adds some extra heatsink area and 2 options for a lower profile mounting. For many users, lower profile mounting on the helmet is a plus.

The Wiz20 mounts were terrible. I'd have to go look at the numbers, but know for sure I sold well over 100 Wiz20 GoPro adapters to folks with broken mounts that Ituo would/could/did not replace.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Yes and yes! I've had excellent luck with these lights. Here's a link to some sphere tests that RAKC did over the years (includes XP3 of course). Only real draw back to these lights is there is no support network anymore so while I've seen very few problems (except the original plastic mounts) reported, any warranty issues would require dealing with Ituo directly.
    Mole

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=2&pli=1#gid=0

That's correct. However, the people at ITUO have been nothing but great. One of my old plastic brackets broke last year. I talked to them about it, they told me they were already producing new aluminum brackets. They got back to me when they were ready, asked for my address and sent me a couple of them at no charge - I call that outstanding customer service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-49741323_335699693942012_3876070738960056320_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    interesting discussion but OP saying their not affiliated is false. Did enough reviews in my time for companies that they did this post because they got free stuff, but are trying to hide it.

Ituo made good lights, just a few issues with mounts and wiz20 self discharge issues in the original ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RACK, I'm not sure what you'd consider an 'affiliation'. I purchased my first Wiz20 back in 2016, I actually wrote them a not-so-happy review (also had the self-discharge issue), bought another light in 2017, and another Wiz20 in 2018. They sent me a couple of free mounts to make up for for the one that had broken, and they replaced my one Wiz20 with a brand new one a bit over a year after I had purchased it.
    So if you want to call that 'getting free stuff' definitely, I just call it good customer support. I'm sure that they'd treat anybody else just as well. They let me know that they'll be releasing a new line of lights this (probably why they're running such a good sale, emptying their stock).

And again. as far as 'getting free stuff', yes, I've written a bit over 1000 Amazon reviews, and I used to get flooded with offers to write reviews in exchange for free stuff or money - those good'ol days are over due to Amazon's new policies. And even though I do have an amazon affiliate account, if you look at the links that I posted, they're not affiliate links . I make a very decent living with my everyday job, I wrote this post because I like their company and their products, and hopefully it'd help other people here to get a good bang for their buck.

Also, even though I would agree with you from the standpoint that there are people out there with no integrity or morals and will do anything for an extra dollar *Cough*youtubers*Cough*, I am not the kind of person to go through the trouble of helping promote a product just for money. Giving away 'free stuff' is a great way for ANY company to promote their brand and get people to use it. Or have you never been at a party where there's people throwing around T-Shirts, Red-bull, Bacardi, etc?

Believe me, I am all about diminishing returns... I've bought both those $25 chinese lights from aliexpress that claim "ZOMG 5000+ Lumens! CLICK HERE BUY NOW" things, and the $400+ NIterider Piko light. I'd much rather buy 4x ITUO lights than one ~$400 light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hey Vanc, - I'd love to buy a couple of your adapters, however, I can't find the ordering information on your page! (Looking at it from my phone).

mtbr member
    That's correct. However, the people at ITUO have been nothing but great. One of my old plastic brackets broke last year. I talked to them about it, they told me they were already producing new aluminum brackets. They got back to me when they were ready, asked for my address and sent me a couple of them at no charge - I call that outstanding customer service.
    Thanks for sharing your experience dealing with Ituo . From my experience the risk factor of having any problems with their products is pretty low now that the mounts are made of aluminum but nice to know the new owners seem to care about taking care of any issues. Do you have a link or email address they can be contacted at?
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Vanc, - I'd love to buy a couple of your adapters, however, I can't find the ordering information on your page! (Looking at it from my phone).
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Hey Mole

Is the battery still as efficient or close as when it was new and do you know what cells are used. Also, is there a noticeable drop in lumens after like 10 minutes or 30 min run time. Any graphs showing lumen output during it's run time?

Looks like a real good light for the money. Most 2300 lumen lights are around a hundred more or so. I'd only be using it on the bars and understand I can get a mount from Vanc if I don't like the supplied one.

Thx
    I'm sure the batteries have lost some of their capacity as they are approaching 3 yrs old but that's normal for any battery. All my Ituo lights came with Panasonic batteries so they are definitely premium quality cells but I really don't know what Ituo is using for cells in their newest lights so will try to find out. All emitters will lose a little efficiency as they heat up and dim some but would not be noticeable with the XP3 unless the battery charge was almost used up or the the light got hot enough to activate the thermal protection. One of the main reasons I like my Ituo lights so much is they handle the 100 degree ride temps I see in the summer better than the other high powered lights I own. Sorry I don't have any output curve charts for these lights. If you get a XP3 I'd appreciate hearing your opinion on the new mount. Vanc mounts work excellent or Gloworm mounts too in case your not happy with the stock ones.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Glad to see they are moving away from the cheap plastic mounts. I have two XP3ís and I broke one of the handlebar mounts within the first few rides.
    My only other complaint about the light was the double click to get into programming mode. Any time I try to change the brightness while riding I would accidentally click it twice due to bumps and such. So now I only change brightness while staying still, but even then I still accidentally get into that mode fairly frequently. Maybe both of mine are just extra sensitive or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I recently got 2 more lights form Ituo. I picked up a WIZ1 and a WIZ2 to use not only as helmet lights but also as flash lights. So far I am happy! I was worried the Wiz1 would be a little heavy as a helmet light, havent tried it yet but the Wiz2 seems to works well and have plenty of run time for my 10-20mile night rides. I also used the Wiz2 while exploring some mines over near years, didnt get any pic but its pretty amazing what that little light will do in a pitch black mine.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-thumbnail_img_9804.jpg

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-thumbnail_img_9805.jpg

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-thumbnail_img_9806.jpg

You can see the light easily hitting that tree about 75' away and that isnt in that dark of an area as it has a lot of street lights.

Another cool feature....the helmet mount that came with my XP4 makes a great helmet go-pro mount when im not running a helmet light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks for sharing your experience dealing with Ituo . From my experience the risk factor of having any problems with their products is pretty low now that the mounts are made of aluminum but nice to know the new owners seem to care about taking care of any issues. Do you have a link or email address they can be contacted at?
    Mole
    Sure, it's: info (at) ituoworld . com

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadcmpr View Post
    Glad to see they are moving away from the cheap plastic mounts. I have two XP3ís and I broke one of the handlebar mounts within the first few rides.
    My only other complaint about the light was the double click to get into programming mode. Any time I try to change the brightness while riding I would accidentally click it twice due to bumps and such. So now I only change brightness while staying still, but even then I still accidentally get into that mode fairly frequently. Maybe both of mine are just extra sensitive or something.
    I hear you, I struggled with that too, particularly when wearing gloves... I just started to give it a really hard quick push - works about 90% of the time. But yeah, I agree, a small annoyance.

mtbr member
    Looks like they dropped the price a little more on the Wiz 1 to $49.95 (as of 1/16) so $41.95 once you take the $8 coupon off. Pretty tempting at that price!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Also, ITUO is always looking for new advocates. People that are passionate about riding, involved in their local communities / social media that are wanting to test their products, write reviews and help promote their brand. If you are interested, I'd be happy to get you in touch if you give me some details about yourself. I'm sure they'd be happy to hook you up with some equipment for you to try out

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Also, ITUO is always looking for new advocates. People that are passionate about riding, involved in their local communities / social media that are wanting to test their products, write reviews and help promote their brand. If you are interested, I'd be happy to get you in touch if you give me some details about yourself. I'm sure they'd be happy to hook you up with some equipment for you to try out
    My shill alert is starting to get pretty loud......

Despite your claims in earlier posts, your enthusiasm for the product and your promotion of it seems a bit much for supposedly not having any connection to the company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    You are definitely entitled to your opinion. I respect that. I understand it's hard to believe that someone will do something nice without expecting anything in return.

However, if you feel so strongly about it, why don't you try it out yourself? I'd be happy to get you in touch with them and you can convince yourself about their products and service and you'll see that there's no 'funny business' involved. If you are an involved member in a community, and would be interested in trying one of their products, I'm pretty confident that they'll happily hook you up.

From what I understand, they used to have offices and reps in the US, but that didn't turn out very well (for whatever reason) so they eliminated that and now they're trying to do direct sales via amazon, but they're having difficulties promoting their brand from overseas. They can't post adds in popular pages like slickdeals because they don't have enough reviews on amazon to be taken "seriously".

Yes, I am doing them a favor promoting their brand - Happy to do so for free for a great product - I've done the same for 661 protective gear, Five Ten shoes, Osprey backpacks etc... and believe me, I don't get even a 'thank you' for that

mtbr member
    You are definitely entitled to your opinion. I respect that. I understand it's hard to believe that someone will do something nice without expecting anything in return.
    Don't get the wrong impression here. I'm sure it's just the circumstance of you being new here and all your posts promoting the Ituo lights (which I support too). Fact is Vanc makes some very nice accessories for Ituo lights + other brands too which might interest you. Here's a pic. of one of the finned/heatsink Gopro mounts he made for me.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-032.jpg

Yes, I am doing them a favor promoting their brand - Happy to do so for free for a great product - I've done the same for 661 protective gear, Five Ten shoes, Osprey backpacks etc... and believe me, I don't get even a 'thank you' for that
    Awesome attitude! Sharing product experiences is what this forum is all about (IMO) so welcome! Being a fellow Ituo fan I wish I could help by product testing something but since my Wiz1 arrived yesterday I pretty much already own everything they make. With the exception of Gloworm I can't say I've ever gotten a thank you from any manufacturer either but certainly have from people seeking information on products I've commented on and that's good enough for me!
    Mole

mtbr member
    From what I understand, they used to have offices and reps in the US, but that didn't turn out very well (for whatever reason) so they eliminated that and now they're trying to do direct sales via amazon,
    The rep was promoting their brand here much like you are doing, without disclosing he was the distributor. Supposedly they left him high and dry when the warranty claims started coming in.

mtbr member
    $42 with all it's features (750+ lumens, 3 hr. high mode runtime, programmable presets, Gopro mount compatible, new aluminum mount) ended up being too good a deal for me to pass up as a backup light upgrade. New aluminum mount had a lot to do with justifying the purchase since I recommend Ituo lights frequently. New mount looks good and should eliminate the problem that accounted for the majority of warranty issues with the pre 2018 models. Off the bike currently with some medical issues but hope to get to try the Wiz1 soon.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-001.jpg

Lucky surprise I found the Wiz1 will fit older Gemini Xera lens cover and optics so should be able to widen the beam a bit.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-007.jpg

Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I understand it's hard to believe that someone will do something nice without expecting anything in return.
    We have had folks post reviews here with ties to the manufacturer that were not disclosed. The posts usually exhibited strong bias and "over the top" raves. That was the reason for my post earlier. The moderator of the forum has had to clean up some of that and it is the reason he placed the sticky at the forum top.....

https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...r-1059282.html

I've seen the Ituo XP2 when it first came out. MRMOLE needed a heatsink GoPro adapter to help deal with the hot riding temps he deals with in the summer so he sent me his to measure up to design the adapter. It appeared to be a nice product. I've even recommended them a time or two on this forum.

.......However, if you feel so strongly about it, why don't you try it out yourself? I'd be happy to get you in touch with them and you can convince yourself about their products and service and you'll see that there's no 'funny business' involved. If you are an involved member in a community, and would be interested in trying one of their products, I'm pretty confident that they'll happily hook you up......
    I'm not interested in testing or reviewing anyone's products and have declined the couple times I have been approached. I don't care to invest the time required to do a thorough review on a product that I would end up never using beyond the testing.

Light freak
    ....Yes, I am doing them a favor promoting their brand - Happy to do so for free for a great product - I've done the same for 661 protective gear, Five Ten shoes, Osprey backpacks etc... and believe me, I don't get even a 'thank you' for that
    I am curious why you are not talking bikes and spreading the "good word" about 661 protective gear, Five Ten shoes, Osprey backpacks etc on any of the other forums on MTBR and all of your 9 posts are in this forum/thread? Do you have any coupon codes for 661, Five Ten or Osprey?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks like some real nice bike lights. Amazon.com also ships to Canada. I'm thinking of running them as a helmet light. Or are they to heavy. Anyone have the weight of the Wiz1 and Wiz2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Mole will you be doing a run time / lumen test to see how fast the lumens drop or if they do. 42 bucks is a bargain for this. I thought the 1 was 800 lumens. I might buy one just b/c it's such a good deal.

mtbr member
    Hey Mole will you be doing a run time / lumen test to see how fast the lumens drop or if they do. 42 bucks is a bargain for this. I thought the 1 was 800 lumens. I might buy one just b/c it's such a good deal.
    Doctor says 3 more weeks off the bike (or any exercise) so should have plenty of time to get that done.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caRpetbomBer View Post
    Looks like some real nice bike lights. Amazon.com also ships to Canada. I'm thinking of running them as a helmet light. Or are they to heavy. Anyone have the weight of the Wiz1 and Wiz2.
    Nice light - yes. Light weight light - No! My Wiz1 weighs about 200 grams with its Gopro adapter which is on the heavy side for this type of light. Wiz2 is supposed to be about 50 grams lighter which would still make it slightly heavier than a regular Lumina. Doable but too heavy for my taste.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Here you go. The Wiz1 easily ran past its claimed 3 hr. runtime. I finally shut it off @ 3:25 where it was fading fast but still right @ 150 lumens.
    Mole

Wiz1 = Red line.
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-l8-v-lm8-v-wiz2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thx Mole

Do you have one for the XP-3?

mtbr member
    Thx Mole

Sorry I don't have anything on the XP3. I don't normally do this type of test on lights with seperate batteries. I wouldn't even mind doing one but my Ituo batteries are coming up on 3 yrs. old so results would understate performance you would get with new batteries.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    For the record here...when my Wiz20 mounts broke...I eventually received a replacement one for FREE that was of the new style. And top it off...a few weeks later Ituo actually sent me a brand new Wiz20 for FREE for my troubles.

So I now own two Wiz20's both with the upgraded mount and I purchased some extra mounts so I don't have to keep swapping mounts between bikes.

MizzrBear is spot on. Ease up on the guy will ya.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thinking of the Xp3 on the bars, and a Wiz1 or 2 on the head. The code still works on the XP3 so it's $20 so around $120.

The coupon doesn't work on Wiz1/2 though. But they're pretty cheap at $40 and $35. It's going on my head so I figure I'll roll with the Wiz2 and can carry an extra battery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
    Thinking of the Xp3 on the bars, and a Wiz1 or 2 on the head. The code still works on the XP3 so it's $20 so around $120.

The coupon doesn't work on Wiz1/2 though. But they're pretty cheap at $40 and $35. It's going on my head so I figure I'll roll with the Wiz2 and can carry an extra battery.
    Interesting light combo. I own a XP3 and a Wiz1 and though I havn't tried them together my guess would be the beam of the Wiz1 would be lost in the beam of the approx. 3x more powerful XP3 even if it were run on med. settings. I don't know how your planning on using these lights other than XP3/bar and Wiz2/helmet and am not dissing your setup, I just don't understand it. Let us know how it works for you if you end up ordering it. I checked the Amazon website and didn't see the discount listed for the XP3 so if you can still get it to work you might want to take advantage before it's discontinued like on the other lights.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Interesting light combo. I own a XP3 and a Wiz1 and though I havn't tried them together my guess would be the beam of the Wiz1 would be lost in the beam of the approx. 3x more powerful XP3 even if it were run on med. settings. I don't know how your planning on using these lights other than XP3/bar and Wiz2/helmet and am not dissing your setup, I just don't understand it. Let us know how it works for you if you end up ordering it. I checked the Amazon website and didn't see the discount listed for the XP3 so if you can still get it to work you might want to take advantage before it's discontinued like on the other lights.
    Mole
    Diss away please!!!!

Hey that's why I posted, these will be my first lights ever. I always thought that the big lights go on the bars, and a smaller unit can go on the head, that way the big light illuminates where the bars are pointed, but the helmet one will help illuminate where your head turns, which isn't always the same.

I already bought the Xp3, but haven't bought the Wiz2 yet. I don't want to run an external battery on the helmet. What is the suggest attributes of helmet vs bar?

I was going to go with Outbound mtb on bars and road on the head, but this would save a lot of money, and I don't want to run an external battery on my helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .....I always thought that the big lights go on the bars, and a smaller unit can go on the head, that way the big light illuminates where the bars are pointed, but the helmet one will help illuminate where your head turns, which isn't always the same.
    It all depends on the trails you ride and your personal preferences. Since these are your first lights, you may not know what works best for you. Give it a try and if you find you dig night riding, they will probably not be your last lights.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I always thought that the big lights go on the bars, and a smaller unit can go on the head, that way the big light illuminates where the bars are pointed, but the helmet one will help illuminate where your head turns, which isn't always the same.
    Yes this is the way it is done. Otherwise the big light is too heavy and uncomfortable to be lugging around on top of the helmet.

I have the Wiz20 mounted on my bars (way too heavy for the helmet) and a Cateye Volt 300 (lightweight) on the helmet.

Both units are self contained batteris so I don't have to deal with battery packs, wires and routing wires around bike and through clothing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I am with Mole on this one but I also donít want wires going down my back from my helmet. I use a Gloworm X2 or Alpha with their 2 cell battery on my helmet. This setup is technically called the X2 adventure. More Lumens than the lighter self contained lights while still providing decent run times.
    You can also buy the wide optics for the X2 from Gloworm and put them in the Ituo XP3 to widen the beam on your bar I believe.Gloworm lights are not what Iíd consider cheap but you can ask nicely for a discount code and Iím guessing theyíd help you out. I donít like any of Ituo options for my head because Iím not a fan of wires down my back and the Wiz2 is not powerful enough to compete with my bar lights. Your options are somewhat limited IMO because the Ituo are neutral LED so Iím guessing youíll want neutral LED on your head as well. Buying Gloworm from Action LED allows for neutral LED configuration.

mtbr member
    Diss away please!!!!

Hey that's why I posted, these will be my first lights ever. I always thought that the big lights go on the bars, and a smaller unit can go on the head, that way the big light illuminates where the bars are pointed, but the helmet one will help illuminate where your head turns, which isn't always the same.

I already bought the Xp3, but haven't bought the Wiz2 yet. I don't want to run an external battery on the helmet. What is the suggest attributes of helmet vs bar?

I was going to go with Outbound mtb on bars and road on the head, but this would save a lot of money, and I don't want to run an external battery on my helmet.
    Where to start!

Advantages to running self-contained for a helmet light: Convenience. Disadvantages to running self-contained for a helmet light: Extra weight and limited mounting options (high mounting on top of helmet which makes the weight seem even greater and increases chances of snagging on low limbs) all of which make this the most uncomfortable option, lower power output which also fades with use and shorter runtimes. If you have a LBS that has loner/rental lights or a friend you can borrow one from I would encourage you to try a self-contained light helmet mounted and then your XP3 to see which you like best. Self-contained is doable but other than for testing I would always choose a front mounted lighthead and either a small 2 cell battery mounted to the back of the helmet or a larger battery in my pack.

As far as the bigger light on the bars and the smaller on the helmet I consider wider beam on the bars and more throw on the helmet a better way to look at it. In the past when 1500 lumens was only Lupine territory and there were far less choices in lights the higher output lights were generally floods and the smaller ones had less power but more focused beams that provided more throw. Now lots of lights produce more power than I can effectively use bar mountrd (because of reflective glare) and smaller far more powerful spot lights are available for the helmet where I've not found a lumen limit yet. My current favorite off road setup is an XP3/helmet and XP2/bar (w/wide angle Gloworm optics). That setup works best for the wide open desert trails I usually ride and the high summer temperatures I expose the lights to. There are lots of differing opinions on setup though and while forum advice will help start you in the right direction experimentation on your part is the best way for you to find what you like the best. I definitely suggest trying a self-contained light out on your helmet before you spend money on something you won't end up using. Try out the XP3 on you helmet and the bars too. Your XP3 will come with all spot optics which I like for helmet use and you may want to widen the beam (wide angle optics) for bar use but you should try it out as delivered and if you want a wider beam I'll be happy to help you choosing different optics. Hope this helps!
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 01-30-2019 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey what's the discount code. Man I thought it was a pretty good deal at 138 or so but w/ another 20 off I'm in. Thx.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My current favorite off road setup is an XP3/helmet and XP2/bar (w/wide angle Gloworm optics). That setup works best for the wide open desert trails I usually ride and the high summer temperatures I expose the lights to.
    Mole
    Mr. Mole, got a question if you don't mind. I bought an XP3 because it was such a good price I just couldn't help myself. I have a glow worm Alpha that I predominantly use for my helmet, it has the neutral white option from action-led.

The XP3 seems to have a greenish tint compared to the gloworm. The tint isn't horrible, but I much prefer the color of the glowowrm. I guess what I'm wondering is if you had the choice of the gloworm color or higher output of the ITUO which would you pick?

I'm thinking of either getting an XP2 to go with the XP3 or getting a gloworm xs to go with the alpha..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
    Mr. Mole, got a question if you don't mind. I bought an XP3 because it was such a good price I just couldn't help myself. I have a glow worm Alpha that I predominantly use for my helmet, it has the neutral white option from action-led.

The XP3 seems to have a greenish tint compared to the gloworm. The tint isn't horrible, but I much prefer the color of the glowowrm. I guess what I'm wondering is if you had the choice of the gloworm color or higher output of the ITUO which would you pick?

I'm thinking of either getting an XP2 to go with the XP3 or getting a gloworm xs to go with the alpha..
    I have the XS, X2 and the Alpha.
    If I was making the choice youíre making Iíd get the XS. I love mine. It is really difficult to beat the customer service from Jim at Action LED. I had a battery that was outside of warranty with a missing LED on the gauge, he sent me one of his backup batteries no questions asked.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks everyone. I think i'll just wait until they come in and see. I'm in San Diego so definitely no wide open riding except flat fire roads in some sections.

mtbr member

Ituo setup would work best for me but mainly because they perform better in very high temperatures that you would never see in Seattle. Other than that performance of Alpha/XS and XP2/XP3 setups is going to be similar in regards to output, adjustibility of beam pattern (optics). I'd think the main thing for you would be deciding whether your tint preference and better customer service of Action-LED-Lights was worth the extra cost for the Gloworm combo.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Disadvantages to running self-contained for a helmet light: Extra weight and limited mounting options (high mounting on top of helmet which makes the weight seem even greater and increases chances of snagging on low limbs) all of which make this the most uncomfortable option, lower power output which also fades with use and shorter runtimes. If you have a LBS that has loner/rental lights or a friend you can borrow one from I would encourage you to try a self-contained light helmet mounted and then your XP3 to see which you like best. Self-contained is doable but other than for testing I would always choose a front mounted lighthead and either a small 2 cell battery mounted to the back of the helmet or a larger battery in my pack.
    I disagree with this. This what I use on my helmet. Low profile mount. Light weight (120 grams). And long enough battery life for an evening night ride.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...ts/HL-EL461RC/

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/parts/5341831N/

The mount comes with the light when you buy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ituo setup would work best for me but mainly because they perform better in very high temperatures that you would never see in Seattle. Other than that performance of Alpha/XS and XP2/XP3 setups is going to be similar in regards to output, adjustibility of beam pattern (optics). I'd think the main thing for you would be deciding whether your tint preference and better customer service of Action-LED-Lights was worth the extra cost for the Gloworm combo.
    Mole
    Thanks!

Jim has been awesome so I'm happy to support him again and the neutral white works so much better with all the green around here. What about an XS on the helmet and X2 on the bars? Would an XS on the bars and helmet be overkill?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I donít think itís overkill. Mole says that higher lumen lights are more efficient when run on lower settings. Besides, you never know how much light youíll need at higher speeds on tech trails. Go big or go home lol!

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Jim has been awesome so I'm happy to support him again and the neutral white works so much better with all the green around here. What about an XS on the helmet and X2 on the bars? Would an XS on the bars and helmet be overkill?
    While for me an XS bar mounted might be overkill that may not be the case for you. If your sure you want at least one XS just buy it and try the XP3 bar mounted with the XS on the helmet and see what you think. You can also try your Alpha (W/W optic) on the bars with the XS/helmet by just ordering the W/W optic (if you don't already have one) along with the XS and try that setup. That way if the Alpha/XS setup is not enough and the dual triple setup is too much you'll have some first hand experience to help you decide whether you should get a X2 and save some money or order another XS and run it at a lower setting. Worst case you'll waste $8 on the Alpha optic but also have additional motivation to go out and ride more. Best case you may save the cost of an additional lighthead. Whatever way you end up going you'll have a better chance of getting the perfect setup for you.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 01-31-2019 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I disagree with this. This what I use on my helmet. Low profile mount. Light weight (120 grams). And long enough battery life for an evening night ride.
    Hard to understand what you are disagreeing with about what MRMOLE said. The Cateye you linked is low power (400 lumen rating) so it can be sort of lightweight and it sits about as high as all other self-contained lights. Pretty much a match with what he wrote.

If a self-contained light is high output(900 lumen +), it either weighs a lot, typically 200+ grams so it can have enough battery to last a while at high output, or if it is less than 150 grams, it does not have enough battery to stay on high for long.

Most torch style lights like the Cateye can do away with the mount and be strapped directly to the helmet. That gets one a pretty low profile setup but may take a bit of fiddling around to get a good aim established. Periscope type lights can be mounted in a very nice low profile position.

I won't ride with a light on top of my helmet any more. Got one caught on a branch years ago and it nearly took me off the bike. Had a sore and strained neck for quite some time afterwards. If one lived where trails were very open and no overhanging trees or brush it would be OK.

As with so many things in MTB, what works in some places or for some users, is no good in other places or for other users.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I have to say, I was excited when the price dropped to $39.95 on the Wiz1 and ordered two. One of them was DOA. No matter what I tired, it just would not turn on (yes, I removed the little piece of paper inside between the battery and the light head). The light would flicker a bit when I was screwing the battery body onto the light head and that was it. Oh, there was also a large nick on the light. That went back to Amazon earlier this week.

On to the second Wiz1. It seemed to work okay, kind of. The charging indicator seems somewhat whacked out. I charged the light after unboxing and making sure it worked, an the light went from red to blue in about half an hour. I then played around with the light for 15 minutes or so, plugged it back in to be charged and this time it took near an hour and a half to turn blue - with a charger that can put out 4.8A to multiple ports (only the light was plugged in). Not what I was expecting.

Now, today, I run the light for five minutes on high on a helmet, and it shuts off. I turn it back on, lightly touch the power button after a minute (and I mean lightly, like you would touch skin with a feather), and it switches modes from high to low. I lightly touch the switch again (not click, not press, etc) and the light powers off.

At this point I have zero confidence in Ituo products and this light is also going back to Amazon. Bummer because I like the spot beam and tint. Ituo must have a bad batch of lights/switches out there - perhaps that is why they have dropped the price so much?

Oh, and what's with the light sliding back and forth a quarter inch in the mount even when "locked" in place?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill View Post
    I have to say, I was excited when the price dropped to $39.95 on the Wiz1 and ordered two. One of them was DOA. No matter what I tired, it just would not turn on (yes, I removed the little piece of paper inside between the battery and the light head). The light would flicker a bit when I was screwing the battery body onto the light head and that was it. Oh, there was also a large nick on the light. That went back to Amazon earlier this week.

On to the second Wiz1. It seemed to work okay, kind of. The charging indicator seems somewhat whacked out. I charged the light after unboxing and making sure it worked, an the light went from red to blue in about half an hour. I then played around with the light for 15 minutes or so, plugged it back in to be charged and this time it took near an hour and a half to turn blue - with a charger that can put out 4.8A to multiple ports (only the light was plugged in). Not what I was expecting.

Now, today, I run the light for five minutes on high on a helmet, and it shuts off. I turn it back on, lightly touch the power button after a minute (and I mean lightly, like you would touch skin with a feather), and it switches modes from high to low. I lightly touch the switch again (not click, not press, etc) and the light powers off.

At this point I have zero confidence in Ituo products and this light is also going back to Amazon. Bummer because I like the spot beam and tint. Ituo must have a bad batch of lights/switches out there - perhaps that is why they have dropped the price so much?

Oh, and what's with the light sliding back and forth a quarter inch in the mount even when "locked" in place?
    The sale is because they are still in the research phase of releasing new products. I am certain they need people that frequent this forum more than ever. I suspect they will not be happy with your experience and hopefully will make it right with you. Before you write them a bad review on Amazon, which nobody would blame you if you did, send them an email at [email protected] and tell them your experience. Iím guessing they will send you new ones but having checked them for full functionality first. My friend has Ituo lights and has had zero issues. That stinks that you did, Iíd be ticked myself. All of the above is just my opinion as I donít own any of their lights. Mr. Mole loves Ituo and Iím hoping he would support my advice.

mtbr member

Sorry to hear that. I got a Wiz1 right before you ordered yours (the $49.95 - $8 rebate deal) and luckily haven't had any problems with it but I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better or restore your confidence in Ituo. I know things happen but 100% failure on multiple lights and I'd be a little bitter too . Glad you are able to send the lights back to Amazon and thanks for posting about this. I'm going to keep an eye on the Amazon reviews to see if anyone else has had similar problems. If rotating around the thumb screw a little is what you mean when you say sliding back and forth in the mount this is a common trait I've experienced with all my metal Gopro mounts. The tighter the tolerance between the male and female interface is the less pronounced it is and the solution is to tighten very snugly which can be hard to do with a thumb screw. Solid alunimum mounts just don't have enough flex unless their really torqued down hard and an allen bolt is a better retention choice but less convenient. Better luck with your next light purchase.
    Mole

***I agree with MrGT about sending Ituo an email (if you want to). They seem very motivated to re-establish themselves here on MTBR with a good reputation and I'm confident they'll do what they can to make you satisfied. With properly functioning lights and some time I'm sure your confidence in their products will improve.***

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Thank you MrGT and MRMOLE for your thoughts on my post. At your recommendations, I have sent Ituo an email regarding the problems I encountered. The lights have been returned to Amazon but I would be happy to give Ituo another chance if they directly sell me a ďtested for operationĒ Wiz1 at the same Amazon price.

Regarding the light sliding a quarter inch, it is not the gopro mount that moves. It is the light sliding back and forth in the quick release mount ďtrayĒ that has the small lever on the underside.
    Last edited by KingOfTheHill; 02-03-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Additional information

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Please let us know how Ituo responds. Maybe they will comp you one for free based on your troubles!

mtbr member
    Thank you MrGT and MRMOLE for your thoughts on my post. At your recommendations, I have sent Ituo an email regarding the problems I encountered. The lights have been returned to Amazon but I would be happy to give Ituo another chance if they directly sell me a ďtested for operationĒ Wiz1 at the same Amazon price.
    Glad to see you decided to follow MrGT's suggestion. I think in the long run you're going to be happy you did.

Regarding the light sliding a quarter inch, it is not the gopro mount that moves. It is the light sliding back and forth in the quick release mount ďtrayĒ that has the small lever on the underside
    OK, I see what your talking about now. The light and mount interface on my light is very tight and the only time I was putting enough force to make the light slide in the mount was when it was being mounted or removed from the slide mount. I've been dealing with some medical issues that have kept me off the bike since I got my Wiz1 and just handling the light and mount the fit was tight enough I didn't notice the mount play. Think I have a simple solution but will have to play with it and will post what I come up with.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The Cateye you linked is low power (400 lumen rating) so it can be sort of lightweight and it sits about as high as all other self-contained lights. Pretty much a match with what he wrote.
    It's 120 grams with battery and lasts for 3 hours on high. Plenty of time for a night ride. And it's a lot lower profile than headlights that mount on the helmet and use a battery pack and wires that you carry on your body.

If a self-contained light is high output(900 lumen +), it either weighs a lot, typically 200+ grams so it can have enough battery to last a while at high output, or if it is less than 150 grams, it does not have enough battery to stay on high for long.
    Don't need for a 900+ lumen on the helmet. Overkill.

Most torch style lights like the Cateye can do away with the mount and be strapped directly to the helmet. That gets one a pretty low profile setup but may take a bit of fiddling around to get a good aim established. Periscope type lights can be mounted in a very nice low profile position.
    Not a problem on my cateye. It rotates and locks in the mount.

I won't ride with a light on top of my helmet any more. Got one caught on a branch years ago and it nearly took me off the bike. Had a sore and strained neck for quite some time afterwards. If one lived where trails were very open and no overhanging trees or brush it would be OK.
    Duck!!! I won't ride without one. Just because the light on the bars is never pointed where you are looking and you miss trail features and crash!!

mtbr member
    The Cateye you linked is low power (400 lumen rating) so it can be sort of lightweight and it sits about as high as all other self-contained lights. Pretty much a match with what he wrote.
    It's 120 grams with battery and lasts for 3 hours on high. Plenty of time for a night ride. And it's a lot lower profile than headlights that mount on the helmet and use a battery pack and wires that you carry on your body.
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-volt-400.jpg

Will take your word on the weight and the runtime seems to match but it's 200 to 300 lumen output for most of its runtime also matches Vanc's low power description (IMO). The last part of your comment here just isn't true.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-volt-499x.jpgName:  Poc%202.gif
Views: 1542
Size:  89.3 KB
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-006.jpg

Don't need for a 900+ lumen on the helmet. Overkill.
    Of course your entitled to your opinion but you have to remember that the individual I was responding to in my post you disagreed with was looking for a helmet light to compliment a 2300 lumen XP3. Doubtful the beam from you 200-300 lumen light would even be visible used with a light with that kind of power.

Not a problem on my cateye. It rotates and locks in the mount.
    Please refer back to the helmet mounting shots I posted earlier. Pretty sure Vanc was just trying to share a way for you to be able to mount your light lower.

Duck!!! I won't ride without one. Just because the light on the bars is never pointed where you are looking and you miss trail features and crash!!
    I think you've misunderstood what Vanc is saying. He rides with a helmet light, just not one mounted on the very top of his helmet.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 02-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is what I mean when I say low profile.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-dscn1065.jpg

Not self contained though. I use a battery pack in my jacket or jersey pocket. I don't like extra weight on my head since I'm old and my neck gets tired even without a light. At ~65 grams it is very tolerable. Dropping a battery in my jacket or jersey pocket does not bother me as much as putting more weight on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Keep in mind that it's the chinese spring festival right now, so most of China is out celebrating for the next week - so they might be slow replying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volt 400.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	1236630

Will take your word on the weight and the runtime seems to match but it's 200 to 300 lumen output for most of its runtime also matches Vanc's low power description (IMO). The last part of your comment here just isn't true.

Name:	volt 499x.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	344.7 KB 
ID:	1236631Name:  Poc%202.gif
Views: 1542
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	1236633

Of course your entitled to your opinion but you have to remember that the individual I was responding to in my post you disagreed with was looking for a helmet light to compliment a 2300 lumen XP3. Doubtful the beam from you 200-300 lumen light would even be visible used with a light with that kind of power.

Please refer back to the helmet mounting shots I posted earlier. Pretty sure Vanc was just trying to share a way for you to be able to mount your light lower.

I think you've misunderstood what Vanc is saying. He rides with a helmet light, just not one mounted on the top of his helmet.
    Mole
    What 2S battery is that for your helmet...and where can i get one!?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
    What light head are you matching it with?

mtbr member
    That's just a shot I keep on file to show a clean battery on helmet setup. I believe it belonged to a member named Scar. Look in the sticky (night riding photos) at the top of the Lights and Night riding page, post 21 and you can PM him. He makes lights so it's quite possible that battery is a custom setup.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgt View Post
    what light head are you matching it with?
    ituo wiz xp3

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ituo wiz xp3
    Canít offer any advice here, donít own the Wiz XP3. Iím not aware of any 2 cell batteries with enough power to provide much runtime for a 3 LED light. Perhaps someone more versed in such specs could pipe in here..

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    As an update to my below post, Ituo has been amazingly responsive and has sent out new lights which should arrive in about a week. I would rate Ituo's customer service to be on par with what I have experienced with NiteRider and Light & Motion (fantastic every time).

I'm really looking forward to the lights and I will update in a couple of weeks after they arrive and I have had a chance to get a few rides in. For now, Ituo gets a big thumbs up and thank you from me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    As an update to my below post, Ituo has been amazingly responsive and has sent out new lights which should arrive in about a week. I would rate Ituo's customer service to be on par with what I have experienced with NiteRider and Light & Motion (fantastic every time).

I'm really looking forward to the lights and I will update in a couple of weeks after they arrive and I have had a chance to get a few rides in. For now, Ituo gets a big thumbs up and thank you from me.
    Glad to hear King. This is the result I hoped youíd get. This is what they need to do to get and keep customers. A company can have a great product but without support they lose value for me. I am getting a couple of the lights to try myself and expect a similar experience to yours. Let us know how this round works out for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGT View Post
    Canít offer any advice here, donít own the Wiz XP3. Iím not aware of any 2 cell batteries with enough power to provide much runtime for a 3 LED light. Perhaps someone more versed in such specs could pipe in here..
    Like you, I'm not much of a battery expert but I do own a XP3. Current draw in the highest mode is 3.5A so I would expect no more than an hour out of the best 18650 2 cell batteries. Of course the XP3 makes enough power you really seldom need to run it that hard and is actually pretty efficient when run at lower settings which would increase runtime.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Discount code expired 😥

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I received lights from Ituo a couple of days ago (a Wiz1 and an XP2) - played around with them on Monday, rode some with them yesterday evening (only an hour). These work properly so far and I'm quite pleased with the performance. Am looking forward to more rides with them. I'll post up a detailed opinion after more use.

Ituo came through and I thank them for it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have recently purchased the Wiz20 on Amazon and I have received the Wiz XP2/3 and Wiz1 for demo and review at no charge from Ituo.
    I was given a discount code for Ituo lights on Amazon and upon checking with a mod have permission to post it here.
    I am not a sales person and will make no money. I am just a bicycle light geek that was generously given a few free lights to try and I am fully disclosing that information here.
    The code is for 10% off and will be active for 30 days starting February 15th.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/mpc/A3FMZY1EI1YTU6

mtbr member
    Thx Mole

Ituo contacted me a couple of weeks ago about reviewing some of their lights and sent me a new Wiz20 & XP2 kit. Wiz20 is a slight upgrade from my version 1 light and the XP2 is just an exact duplicate of my XP2 with a aluminum mount but did provide me with a new battery so I could do this test for you. Output is nice and flat to 1:45 where it just shut off.
    Mole

Black line = XP3
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-xp-.jpg

mtbr member

Good job!

Nice, XP2 $98.95 after discount, free 2day shipping & no tax in California.

I was given a discount code for Ituo lights on Amazon and upon checking with a mod have permission to post it here. I am not a sales person and will make no money. The code is for 10% off and will be active for 30 days starting February 15th.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-ves9alz.png

mtbr member
    For the most part, true. However, no reason a two cell wouldn't work with an XP3 as long as you aren't using the maximum setting for too long ( no more than a couple minutes here or there ) and are using the programmable feature to custom set the modes you use the most so they give you the run time you need. That said I don't think I'd use a two cell with mine unless I had a custom two / 20700 cell set-up. Personally though I don't like mounting any batteries to my helmet due to the added weight / "sway effect", at least with the helmet I am using at the moment.

@derek1387....this is what you are looking for. Notice the end of the cable uses a threaded connector, perfect for the XP3. AFAIK, the Panasonics are the best that Hunk Lee has. He might have 20700 cells by now but you need to contact him to find out. I asked him about 20700's a year or so ago but he didn't carry those at the time. If he has them he should be able to build you what you want. Just remember to ask for threaded connector with the length of wire you need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post

@derek1387....this is what you are looking for. Notice the end of the cable uses a threaded connector, perfect for the XP3.
    I ordered that battery and tracking shows the 20th for delivery. Will confirm compatibility when it arrives.
    Mole

Light freak
    Here are size comparisons of some Li-Ion packages -

18650 18mm diameter, 65.0mm height
    26650 26mm diameter, 65.0mm height
    20700 20mm diameter, 70.0mm height
    21700 21mm diameter, 70.0mm height

I used the 20700 format before is some packs. Seems that the vape "modders" prefer the 21700's as they currently more available. Not much increase in size from a 18650 vs 21700 but the capacity is noticeable. I have some Samsung INR21700-48G cells on order that are going to make a really nice 2 cell 4800mAh pack.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-img-1827.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Here are size comparisons of some Li-Ion packages -

18650 18mm diameter, 65.0mm height
    26650 26mm diameter, 65.0mm height
    20700 20mm diameter, 70.0mm height
    21700 21mm diameter, 70.0mm height

I used the 20700 format before is some packs. Seems that the vape "modders" prefer the 21700's as they currently more available. Not much increase in size from a 18650 vs 21700 but the capacity is noticeable. I have some Samsung INR21700-48G cells on order that are going to make a really nice 2 cell 4800mAh pack.

Name:	IMG-1827.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	1238562

Scar,
    Can you make and sell these 4800 two cell batteries that will fit Ituo XP2 with threaded end?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Has anyone tried to see if a 20700 or 21700 battery fits into the wiz2. Looks like there might be some room for it to fit. I picked up a Wiz2. The price is just to good.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried to see if a 20700 or 21700 battery fits into the wiz2. Looks like there might be some room for it to fit. I picked up a Wiz2. The price is just to good.
    Safe to say it won't fit. First 2 numbers are the battery's diameter and last 3 are the length. For the battery to have proper contact at each end the length would have to be the same as the original battery (650 vs. 700).
    Mole

mtbr member
    The newer batteries are likely too wide to fit inside the Wiz-2. If you had bought a Wiz-1 you might have been able to use the 20-21700 type cells. You would however have to make a shim out of some thin cardboard or foam so the cell wouldn't move around inside the casing. I've done this myself so I could use a 18650 cell if I felt the need to use a smaller cell. The 20-21700 cells would likely be longer that typical 18650 so in all likely-hood you wouldn't be able to screw the battery tube all the way. That said I don't think I'd try using one of those because one, the 18650 cells I own have near 3400mAh capacity ( and they work and fit fine when used with a shim inside the Wiz-1 ) and secondly the 26650 cells I own have near 5000mAh capacity.

Now what I'd like to see being sold is a replacement battery tube for some of the Convoy torches I own that would accommodate the larger 20-21700 type cells.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    There is a $15 off coupon on Amazon for the XP2 and XP3 lights going on right now, and you can combine it with the discount listed by MrGT below - makes the XP2 $83.95 and the XP3 $110.05

$10 coupon on the Wiz20 No coupons on the Wiz1 and Wiz2

I have recently purchased the Wiz20 on Amazon and I have received the Wiz XP2/3 and Wiz1 for demo and review at no charge from Ituo.
    I was given a discount code for Ituo lights on Amazon and upon checking with a mod have permission to post it here.
    I am not a sales person and will make no money. I am just a bicycle light geek that was generously given a few free lights to try and I am fully disclosing that information here.
    The code is for 10% off and will be active for 30 days starting February 15th.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sweet, where do we find the $15 off coupon?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    The coupon comes up right from the link. You just need to check the box. Just ordered the XP2 to complement the XP3 I picked up (and love!) the XP3 I bought a couple weeks back.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    The coupon shows up on the product page on Amazon. Just make sure you check the box to apply the coupon. Looks like you can use the coupon once per item per order, so if you want two XP3 lights with the discounts, you have to place two separate orders. If you want an XP2, an XP3 and a WIZ20, you could do it all in one order an all discounts would apply.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sweet!
    If you are willing to take the time to do a review on Amazon Iím sure Ituo would be thrilled, if you havenít already done so.

mtbr member
    I ordered that battery and tracking shows the 20th for delivery. Will confirm compatibility when it arrives.
    Mole
    As far as that Hunk Lee ebay battery goes it wasn't a perfect fit but with a little extra effort will screw together.
    Mole

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-004.jpg

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-005.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just noticed that the Wiz1, Wiz2, and Wiz20 all went down in price. The Wiz1 and 2 went down $1 and the Wiz20 went down $10. Wiz20 when combined with the 10% is now around $80. Great deal for that light!

mtbr member

Upgrades

Since this is a relative new thread and has attracted new owners and people interested in Ituo lights that may not have seen all the older threads I thought I'd post some of the more useful accessories/upgrades I've run across.

1) Vancbiker Gopro and bar mounts. Pictured are the new adapters I received today for my newest XP2 and Wiz20 + examples of his bar mounts. Larger finned mount does a good job of lowering the lights operating temperature and the lopro design also allows for a lower profile helmet mounting. Wiz20 doesn't really need any help staying cool and I'm sure most would prefer to retain the slide mount release system for this type of light but for those who choose to run the relative heavy Wiz20 off-roading frequently the simple adapter + bar mount will provide a more rugged bomb proof system. Added bonus to the bar mounts is horizontal adjustability.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-001.jpg
    GoPro adapters and Gopro mounts for bike lights

2) Gloworm optics. Stock optics (top of picture) on all the Ituo lights are a spot beam which is fine if your needs require a narrow far reaching beam pattern. Gloworm wide angle (fluted elliptical) only widen the beam and are the best/most efficient option (IMO) to increase beam width since they don't waste output by shooting light upward out of the useful field of view like a traditional symetrical wide angle optic would. Gloworm spots do provide a slight increase in beam width and (initially) intensity over the stock optics but also retain most of their optical efficiency faaaaar longer than the cheaper stock optics do.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-005-2-.jpg
    https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...-gloworm-x2-xs
    https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...-x2-spot-optic

3) My recently posted Hunk Lee 2 cell battery pack for those who don't want to run a long cable from their helmet to a remote battery in their pack or jersey pocket.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-005.jpg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pana-sonic-....c100005.m1851

Mole

mtbr member
    There is a $15 off coupon on Amazon for the XP2 and XP3 lights going on right now, and you can combine it with the discount listed by MrGT below
    Down to 10% but still a great deal, ITUO Wiz-XP3 Cycling Headlight, 2300 Lumen

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Couldn't resist, XP2 for $80 delivered, and no tax?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Going to order two of those action gloworm optics. Xp2 on the bars with them at first, with XP3 on the helmet. Then XP3 on the bars, with the two wide beams on the outside, and XP2 spots on top.

May spring for that hunk lee battery too.

Are the upgraded mounts necessary? Are the new mounts included on the XP3 and XP2 still pretty fragile? Shouldn't have an issue with heat here in San Diego. When it's that hot I don't even ride.

mtbr member
    Going to order two of those action gloworm optics. Xp2 on the bars with them at first, with XP3 on the helmet. Then XP3 on the bars, with the two wide beams on the outside, and XP2 spots on top.

Are the upgraded mounts necessary? Are the new mounts included on the XP3 and XP2 still pretty fragile? Shouldn't have an issue with heat here in San Diego. When it's that hot I don't even ride.
    New mounts are aluminum now so should be fine. Have fun playing around with the optics. Let us know how those setups work for you.
    Mole

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    The new mounts are included and are metal. The small piece that the light slides into is still plastic - I don't see that breaking anytime soon though when used with an XP2 or 3. With a Wiz1 or 2, possibly because of the considerable extra weight.

I'm not crazy about the Ituo bar clamp, primarily because it's a bit large and busy for my taste. I understand why it is made the way it is, being quick release and multi bar size compatible, and it works well and feels like quality. I just like small and clean. I've been using my XP2 attached to a K-Edge mount.

Really like the XP2.

mtbr member
    Here's some different options I have and while one won't work with our Ituo's it's a nice solution for multiple bar sizes

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-002.jpg Gloworm mount. Best at centering light in front of stem. vertically adjustable too
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-015.jpg Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-018.jpg

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-003.jpg Vancbiker mount. Strongest mount, horizontally adjustable, vertical adjustability (but negates horizontal adjustability)
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-020.jpg Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-021.jpg

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-005.jpg Ituo mount
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-012.jpg Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-013.jpg

Bontrager Ion 1300 bar mount. Multiple clamp pivot positions, outboard for 35mm bars, inboard for 25.4 - 31.8 bars
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-007.jpg Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-008.jpg

All the mount together. Similar size but bar
    clamping method and use of thumbscrews
    affect area of space taken up................................................ .............................My Helper
    Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-010.jpg Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-001.jpg
    mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Doing what cats do best!

mtbr member
    Latest Amazon XP3 price with all the discounts applied is $92.95.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow, is there a better deal on a good light out there? Prolly not. That's a smokin deal for a powerful light.

mtbr member
    Wow, is there a better deal on a good light out there? Prolly not. That's a smokin deal for a powerful light.
    When I looked earlier today there were only 4 left so that great deal may be coming to an end soon. If anyone's interested I wouldn't waste any time before ordering, no telling if they will restock these.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    When I looked earlier today there were only 4 left so that great deal may be coming to an end soon. If anyone's interested I wouldn't waste any time before ordering, no telling if they will restock these.
    Mole
    Last I looked there were 3 left!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Only one now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    One more sale till the new model comes out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Now theyíre back in stock, huh.

Anybody know anything about the new models coming in May?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Now theyíre back in stock, huh.

Anybody know anything about the new models coming in May?
    I sent Ituo an email a couple of hours ago asking about both those things. Happy to share whatever I find out if/when they email me back.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Do you have Ituos email address?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Do you have Ituos email address?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I asked the same question. See post #18 of this thread.
    Mole

mtbr member

Amazon sale update

1) Congratulations to anyone who got a XP3 for less than $100 but they are now listed as unavailable.

2) For the XP2 no more Amazon $10 off promotion but Ituo's 10% @ checkout is still in effect for a couple of days.

3) Wiz20 still shows $20 off Amazon promotion still active + 10% @ checkout so still very good deal on this light!

I did get a reply to the email I sent Ituo but unfortunately it was one of those (Chinese to English) where something got lost in the translation (in this case everything).
    Mole

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Mr. M,

Question on the Gloworm optics for you - I purchased the ones you linked to from Action LED (the wide angle one) and while they fit in the white optic holder, I noticed a few things:

1. There is no channel around the optic for the o-ring that is used with the stock optic so I question how water resistant the light will be without the o-ring.

2. The wide angle gloworm optic fits more snug in the holder than the ituo one.

3. I can't get the optic holder to sit flush with the other optic holders when I have the Gloworm optic installed. I've tried every which way but it rests about .5 - .75 mm higher than the others so the light's faceplate won't go on correctly. I'm afraid to tighten it for fear of damaging the LED.

Any thoughts on how to get the optic to fit correctly?

Thanks!

Since this is a relative new thread and has attracted new owners and people interested in Ituo lights that may not have seen all the older threads I thought I'd post some of the more useful accessories/upgrades I've run across....

2) Gloworm optics. Stock optics (top of picture) on all the Ituo lights are a spot beam which is fine if your needs require a narrow far reaching beam pattern. Gloworm wide angle (fluted elliptical) only widen the beam and are the best/most efficient option (IMO) to increase beam width since they don't waste output by shooting light upward out of the useful field of view like a traditional symetrical wide angle optic would. Gloworm spots do provide a slight increase in beam width and (initially) intensity over the stock optics but also retain most of their optical efficiency faaaaar longer than the cheaper stock optics do.

Name:	005 (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	1238992
    https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...-gloworm-x2-xs

Mole

mtbr member
    correctly. I'm afraid to tighten it for fear of damaging the LED.

Any thoughts on how to get the optic to fit correctly?

Thanks!
    The emitter side of the white optic holder has a square hole that fits over the base of the emitter. If it's not aligned correctly the holder and optic will sit higher which is probably what is happening with your light. You need to spin the holder till it pops down into the lighthead (or over the emitter). This means the wide angle optic will have to be positioned so the ribs on the face of the optic are vertical so you may have to readjust the optic in the holder a couple of times. GW optics are slightly taller than the stock ones but should still be slightly recessed from the output end of the white holder and the o-ring should rest on the optic and be held in place by the top of the white holder. You shouldn't have to or try to force the bezel to go back together. If you do something is not right with the assembly.
    Mole

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-001.jpgGreat sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-005.jpg

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-010.jpg Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-011.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Copy/paste what they wrote in Chinese and I'll have my girl translate for us. (As long as it's Mandarin or Cantonese)

mtbr member
    Copy/paste what they wrote in Chinese and I'll have my girl translate for us. (As long as it's Mandarin or Cantonese)
    The email reply was in English but didn't make total sense and information in one sentence would be contradicted in the next. Usually it's pretty clear what they mean but not that message.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Wiz-XP3 and Wiz-20 I ordered Sunday just shipped and are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, woo hoo!

Taking your advice MOLE and will mount the XP3 on the lid as a high beam.* Wiz-20 will go on the bars as a mid range; will keep my BT40S on the One Armed Bandit attached to the deraileur post of my SWB recumbent as a stationary low beam.

Hoping not to get caught in any more drainage ditches, grr.

*Also ordered the 2S2P flat pack from KD: http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...n-Battery-Pack (Thanks ledoman.) Will see how that works out if it ever gets here.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Thanks Mole.

KOTH

mtbr member
    The Wiz-XP3 and Wiz-20 I ordered Sunday just shipped and are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, woo hoo!

Taking your advice MOLE and will mount the XP3 on the lid as a high beam.* Wiz-20 will go on the bars as a mid range; will keep my BT40S on the One Armed Bandit attached to the deraileur post of my SWB recumbent as a stationary low beam.

Hoping not to get caught in any more drainage ditches, grr.

*Also ordered the 2S2P flat pack from KD: http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...n-Battery-Pack (Thanks ledoman.) Will see how that works out if it ever gets here.
    Well it looks like you picked the perfect time to buy! Price jumped $20 on the Wiz20 and $30 on the XP2 this morning and of course XP3 is not currently available.
    Would appreciate if you'd let us know when you get your KD battery. Very nice battery but actual receipt times have varied a lot so it's good to get an update every once in a while.
    Mole

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    If anyone is on the fence about buying a Wiz1 or Wiz2, I'd jump on it today while the 10% discount through the link MrGT previously posted is still active. $31.45 for a Wiz1 and $35.95 for a Wiz2 is a heck of a deal. Yes, the Wiz1 was $1 less last week but still a heck of a good price.

When you take the price of the battery and mount alone into consideration (which can be used for other purposes), you're getting the light itself for not much money.

mtbr member
    Lol, I just had to check this out.
    Wiz2 about 34.xx$ + shipping 54.xx$ hahahah, hers a finger for amazon and its not thumb

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Shows free shipping for me. Two day delivery too (USA). What country are you asking it to be shipped to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius9 View Post
    Lol, I just had to check this out.
    Wiz2 about 34.xx$ + shipping 54.xx$ hahahah, hers a finger for amazon and its not thumb

mtbr member
    Shows free shipping for me. Two day delivery too (USA). What country are you asking it to be shipped to?
    Europe > Serbia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Jeepers, was this a close out sale on all the rejects Amazon had left in stock of Ituo bike lights or what!?

Because not only did the Wiz XP3 I received come with a bad battery cable, but the power button on the lamp doesnít glow green as it properly should when connected to a fully charged, working battery pack.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-5af74369-0a11-461f-a215-56b6ad6a4e78.jpg

Bar mount QR lever on my new Wiz20 is made of ABS plastic rather than the CNC aluminum it is supposed to be like the rest of the clamp. (Can see the difference with lever on XP3.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-5292eb64-8a7e-4b1a-a92f-2e9ec61dac52.jpg

While Ituo is graciously sending me an XP2 to replace the bad battery pack on my XP3, am now waiting to hear back from them regarding these two other issues.

Otherwise, gotta admit these are the brightest bike lights Iíve ever had, each can easily compete with automotive headlights on Medium alone. When I turn them both up to High they outshine oncoming traffic. And on the trails they make the forest floor come alive with color - bleached dry grass swirled with fallen oak leaves, thin patches of new green shoots amid smatterings of crinkly red ginseng berries all took on rich warm tones as if bathed in sunshine. Used only to ride at night because I had too, now actually look forward to it.

Still am pretty miffed at receiving factory seconds regardless of sale price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Jeepers, was this a close out sale on all the rejects Amazon had left in stock of Ituo bike lights or what!?

Because not only did the Wiz XP3 I received come with a bad battery cable, but the power button on the lamp doesnít glow green as it properly should when connected to a fully charged, working battery pack.

Name:	5AF74369-0A11-461F-A215-56B6AD6A4E78.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	1242883

Bar mount QR lever on my new Wiz20 is made of ABS plastic rather than the CNC aluminum it is supposed to be like the rest of the clamp. (Can see the difference with lever on XP3.

Name:	5292EB64-8A7E-4B1A-A92F-2E9EC61DAC52.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	322.9 KB 
ID:	1242885

While Ituo is graciously sending me an XP2 to replace the bad battery pack on my XP3, am now waiting to hear back from them regarding these two other issues.

Otherwise, gotta admit these are the brightest bike lights Iíve ever had, each can easily compete with automotive headlights on Medium alone. When I turn them both up to High they outshine oncoming traffic. And on the trails they make the forest floor come alive with color - bleached dry grass swirled with fallen oak leaves, thin patches of new green shoots amid smatterings of crinkly red ginseng berries all took on rich warm tones as if bathed in sunshine. Used only to ride at night because I had too, now actually look forward to it.

Still am pretty miffed at receiving factory seconds regardless of sale price.
    Wow, that is pretty lame for sure. Hopefully they will make it right for you and also hopefully they will use your feedback to make a better product going forward. There were several shortcomings in these lights to go along with the really nice qualities they possess. Their quality control seems nearly non existent based on how many issues people have had. Itís up to Ituo to step up their game if they want to attract and keep customers.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I think Ituo is going through some growing pains. I posted a while back about the problems I had with two Wiz1 lights (my first Ituo lights) and emailed Ituo at the recommendation of two fellow MTBR members. They were awesome and sent me a Wiz1 and an XP2 at no charge and those lights have worked fantastic so far.

I subsequently bought two XP2 lights through amazon and the gasket/o-ring where the cable exits the light head came damaged on one light. I donít know if it was missed at the factory or if the clamp or something else in the box damaged it while in transit but it couldnít be repaired. I did notify Ituo of the issue and they responded quickly. Unfortunately I had to return that light.

I then bought two XP3 lights (wife and kids also ride) and one battery would only last an hour on high, and again Ituo responded quickly and has sent out a replacement XP2 kit as the XP3 is no longer available. Also, two Wiz2 lights I recently bought are working properly without problems. Would be good for Ituoís bottom line if they had replacement parts available in USA instead of shipping out complete light kits when only one thing needs to be replaced, but Iím not complaining

With all the above said, I have had four problems, one of which I can not say was a QC problem (the gasket/o-ring). Every time I have had a problem, Ituo has had stellar customer service, but that doesnít excuse the problems the lights have had. While I donít know how many lights have been sold to come up with an accurate failure/defect percentage, based on my experience it needs to improve for Ituo to succeed, and I really hope they do.

About the lighthead button not illuminating green, all of mine only illuminate for a few seconds upon initially connecting the head and battery, and then only remain constantly on while the light is on. In the pictures andychrist provided, the light is off so I wouldn't expect to see the button glowing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    About the lighthead button not illuminating green, all of mine only illuminate for a few seconds upon initially connecting the head and battery, and then only remain constantly on while the light is on. In the pictures andychrist provided, the light is off so I wouldn't expect to see the button glowing.
    No the green charge indicator on mine is totally dead, doesnít light up for even a split second when I power on the lamp. Didnít snap a pic of that because even on Low the beams from the TIRs are too bright for my camera to concurrently capture the status of the buttonís LED.

And my messages to Ituo have been returned undeliverable, even though they explicitly told me I could contact them through the email address printed in the instruction manual.

mtbr member
    -And my messages to Ituo have been returned undeliverable, even though they explicitly told me I could contact them through the email address printed in the instruction manual.
    Definitely seems to be more problems with the Amazon Ituo lights than what I've experienced in the past. Considering the highly discounted prices the fact that they have quickly taken care of the problems to this point has seemed acceptable to me as long as the quality control problems of the current lights is improved upon in the future. Undeliverable messages is pretty scary though considering their brief exit from the market a couple of years ago. I currently have 6 of their lights with no problems so easy for me to be more optimistic but we'll have to see how this all plays out.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well the XP2 package as replacement for the XP3 bad battery cable arrived today and it all seems to be basically okay, maybe still a bit fiddley connection with the charger but I can deal with that. So now Iíve got Ituoís XP3 on the lid, their XP2 and Wiz20 on the bars, and the original NiteRider BT40S mounted to the frame of my all-terrain recumbent cargo bike (with mountain gearing.) Waiting for my Double Clamp Handlebar Extender to come in so as to have greater clearance for my knees, but the setup is still pretty good as is.

Five Front Lights by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Still havenít heard back from Ituo regarding the plastic QR on the Wiz20. A shame because I really wanted to buy another but if replacement parts are unavailable then no dice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Was in the mid 40ļs tonight so went for a 45 minute spin and just as I turned in to my driveway the new replacement battery from the XP2 pack Ituo sent me and that I was using with my XP3 on the bars went dead (had charged it all the way before going out). Wiz20 which Iíd run on High most of the ride still lit blue at the switch although it had obviously powered down some, because at that point it was little brighter than on Medium. New KD 4-cell flat pack in my Dockers flap pocket powering the XP2 on the lid was still in the green zone too but then Iíd only been running that lamp on Low because I couldnít take the glare in the cockpit.

Fortunately the lamps all still work (save for the non-functioning charge indicator on the XP3) and I purchased enough spare batteries to get by so figure am still pretty much ahead. But I certainly wont be buying any more external setups from Ituo, thatís for sure.

mtbr member
    Well the XP2 package as replacement for the XP3 bad battery cable arrived today and it all seems to be basically okay, maybe still a bit fiddley connection with the charger but I can deal with that.
    Received my XP3 yesterday evening and the lamp itself seems to be top notch so far. Unfortunately the battery pack that came with it has a faulty cable ó when flexed around its female connector the circuit gets interrupted so have to fiddle with it to charge and thereís no guarantee it will even go/stay on during a ride.
    Any possibility the charger might be the problem? I know someone else had a weak battery too so likely the battery is the problem but wouldn't hurt to try charging with a different charger. If the battery is bad it might be possible to splice the connector from the new weak battery onto the first one hoping the cells from that one are in better condition.

Still havenít heard back from Ituo regarding the plastic QR on the Wiz20. A shame because I really wanted to buy another but if replacement parts are unavailable then no dice
    To the best of my knowledge the Wiz20 doesn't come with an aluminum mount (listed as machined POV material) + my recently acquired Wiz20 has the shiny QR lever like yours so I'm thinking that's the way there supposed to come.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I tried different chargers with both battery packs and that didnít seem to make any difference, Mole. When I recharged the pack with my MJ-6012 after I got home the indicator turned green after just a couple hours (full charging time is like what, 5hr?) Reconnected it and the indicator lit red again for only a brief while. So maybe the cable on this one is weak too, either where it connects to the socket or the battery. But in any case the replacement pack is just as unreliable and the fact that the charge indicator on my XP3 power button doesnít work at all leaves me in the dark.

Fortuanately I do have a number of TrustFire 4 and 6 cell cases with the built-in charge status LEDs and like two dozen spare Pannies that I can use in place of the Ituo pack. Just that the TF is kind of a PITA the way the Velcro bands work and of course no soft neoprene cover like on the Ituo. Oh and also possess three XTAR VC4s plus just ordered a couple 2.5A MS chargers from Action-LED Lights, theyíre specifically designed for 6-cell. Am also lucky in that Iíve no desire to reprogram the brightness levels in my XP3 ó from what I understand to do that you kinda need feedback from the LEDs in the power button which again, on mine were DOA.

Yeah the QR lever on the Wiz20 is clearly different from the rest of the clamp, appears to be molded plastic rather than machined. Guess they could both be the same POM, can see why the lever would have been injected as it is more curvatious than the rest of the mount, which is flat on the sides. At least once my dual handlebar extenders and shims come in this weekend I can replace the plastic Wiz20 clamp with an aluminum Go Pro from the XP that Iím currently using on the lid. So that valuable part wonít be wasted and I neednít worry about fiddling with the plastic QR on the Wiz20ís clamp all the time, can just use the GP thumbscrew to adjust its angle on the bars of which ever bike I have it on. Whew!

Thanks for the help Mole.
    Last edited by andychrist; 03-21-2019 at 04:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    And my messages to Ituo have been returned undeliverable, even though they explicitly told me I could contact them through the email address printed in the instruction manual. [/QUOTE]

[email protected]?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just sent a message and it went through fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just sent a message and it went through fine.
    Did you get a reply from them?

Because I emailed Ituo twice at that address and both messages got returned later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Did you get a reply from them?

Because I emailed Ituo twice at that address and both messages got returned later.
    Not yet, being in China I typically wake up to a reply.

mtbr member
    $42 with all it's features (750+ lumens, 3 hr. high mode runtime, programmable presets, Gopro mount compatible, new aluminum mount) ended up being too good a deal for me to pass up as a backup light upgrade. New aluminum mount had a lot to do with justifying the purchase since I recommend Ituo lights frequently. New mount looks good and should eliminate the problem that accounted for the majority of warranty issues with the pre 2018 models. Off the bike currently with some medical issues but hope to get to try the Wiz1 soon.

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	1234727

Lucky surprise I found the Wiz1 will fit older Gemini Xera lens cover and optics so should be able to widen the beam a bit.

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	1234729

Mole
    Finally getting a chance to get a couple of rides in with this light (Wiz1). Shining the light on walls around the house didn't leave me expecting much. Narrow round hot spot with pretty wide but dim spill that I didn't think would even show up much when in actual use. Impressions were spot on for light trails and faster speeds on paved surfaces but at slower cruising around speeds the spill proved pretty effective at illuminating what was around the front of the bike. Not the best characteristics for a performance light but for the "very well equipped utility light" that this is, adequate power and usable beam pattern are more than acceptable since this light is all about usefulness and long runtimes. Adding the elliptical lens cover pictured eliminates the spill and horizontally widens the hot spot considerably making the Wiz1 a much better off road bar light but I've not yet decided if I like it better than the stock glass cover for street/MUP use since it cuts down throw a bit. So maybe not the most exciting light but if your looking for a commuter/MUP light and need long runtimes I can't think of a better suited light and a better bargain at it's current $40 price.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm an owner of two Wiz20 lights. One of them (purchased in 2017) drains the batteries when it's just sitting there and not turned on.

I contacted Ituo about it, using the e-mail listed above, and a free replacement is on the way.

Good work Ituo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well my email to Ituo was returned for the third time.

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-c03a10c3-33e3-407a-9430-5cbdd320a34a.jpg

Nor have I received a reply via Amazon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well my email to Ituo was returned for the third time.

Name:	C03A10C3-33E3-407A-9430-5CBDD320A34A.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	1244039

Nor have I received a reply via Amazon.
    I havenít heard of anyone else this has happened to. What email client are you sending through? I sent through gmail just fine. Try a different email server maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I havenít heard of anyone else this has happened to. What email client are you sending through? I sent through gmail just fine. Try a different email server maybe?
    I donít think it has anything to do with my mail server (Iím on iCloud), it looks to me like the message has been returned manually, that is an option on some mail clients. When I have gotten mail legitimately returned before it came from mailer daemon with an entirely different text. Other reason I am so suspicious is that Ituo has not responded to my inquiries through Amazon either, although it stated that seller had two days to respond and itís been well past that.

Anyway I think I can repair the XP3 battery pack that had the defective cable, ordered some leads from Hunk Lee and a bunch of additional soldering equipment and repair tape through Amazon. Have no idea what I can do to salvage the XP2 pack with the short run time other than to cannibalize it for the individual cells and maybe transfer the nice silicone/neoprene case to the BAK pack that came with my BT40S which is looking kinda shabby.

Also jerry-rigged an admittedly cumbersome fix for the dead battery level indicator. First, took a a TrustFire 6 cell battery back with the built-in charge status LEDs and secured it to the stem where I can keep an eye on the readout. Next attached a Y cable between the TF and XP3, added in my spare BT40S with the four stage indicator LEDs mounted to a handle bar extender so it sits right above the stem. That way I have two options for monitoring the battery level as well as a supplemental soft spot for the bars, which both rounds out/bolsters the overall beam and allows me to run the XPs lower and cooler (though havenít found overheating to be a problem with them yet, while it is still so cold here at night.)

Should also note that when I went to switch out the optics on the replacement XP2 Ituo sent me, found that the silicone rings were not uniformly seated inside their bezels but stretched out irregularly beyond their boundaries. Have no idea how that could have happened during assembly at the factory as once I released them from where they had been caught under the plate they contracted right into their proper position. (And replacement elliptical lenses work a charm, thanks for asking.)

No problems to report with my Wiz20, keeping my fingers crossed. Though have to say am not a fan of the optics and emitter bin in all of my Ituo lights, too noticeable of a hot spot and sorta sickly greenish tinge when compared with any of the NW lights Iíve from Kaidomain and GearBest (though perhaps a match with the original BT40S from NiteFighter). Not that big of a deal out on the road, where the incredible output of all the Ituo lights makes up for such minor shortcomings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Send from a different e-mail address. It's definitely something on your end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Still doesnít explain why my repeated enquiries through Amazon have not gotten any response from the seller either.

Anyway I tried sending from another email address and through cellular rather than fiber, will see what happens.

At least Iíve come up with working (if convoluted) solutions for my XPs little snafus and am enjoying night riding again so am not gonna work myself into a lather over this. Oh and managed to solder a new lead from the female end of an extension cable onto the XP3 pack, just waiting now for delivery on some amber tail light repair tape to patch the original yellow shrink wrap where I had to cut it open to access the contacts on the protection circuit. Donít know what I can do to fix the XP2 battery pack with the 45 minute run time, guessing that either one pair of cells is disconnected/imbalanced, or else there is a flaw in the board. Any ideas, guys?
    Last edited by andychrist; 03-29-2019 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    If you can get in contact with Ituo ask them to send you a new one. I contacted them at the e-mail address above and told them that one of my Wiz20 lights was draining the battery when it's not even turned on. They responded the next day and said the would send me a new light. No questions asked. And it arrived a week after I received the email from them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well they already sent me a free XP2 to replace the bad battery cable on my XP3. But that had a wonky battery too and they are still OOS on the XP3, so no way to get one with a working ďBattery level indication.Ē Again, pairing the XP3 with any other working lamp on a Y-cable sorta solves that problem, as well as running it from a TrustFire battery case with those status LEDs. Just that I shouldnít have to do that. Not to mention Iíve spent over $40 so far on supplies to repair the battery ó though Iíll certainly have enough left over to fix up all my old spare packs as well.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Andychrist, you could always just return the XP3 if you are within the Amazon return period.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Andychrist, you could always just return the XP3 if you are within the Amazon return period.
    I donít want to return it, I love the XP3. Problem right now is really only that the charge indicator doesnít work, which Iíve kinda taken care of and have already replaced the battery pack. Would have originally returned for exchange but they were and still are completely out of stock on this model.

Anyway my recent email to [email protected] from a different server and ISP was just returned again so am pretty sure now they are doing this manually (my former email client had such a feature, Return to Sender.)

mtbr member
    I donít want to return it, I love the XP3. Problem right now is really only that the charge indicator doesnít work, which Iíve kinda taken care of and have already replaced the battery pack. Would have originally returned for exchange but they were and still are completely out of stock on this model.
    I don't blame you, I would rather have the setup you ended up with than 1 perfect XP3 kit. At this point there's no indication Ituo even plans on restocking the XP3's.
    Mole

mtbr member

Better Opics?

I pretty much always change to Gloworm optics in all my lights if possible (XP3 is only exception) so thought I'd go through the benefits and cost in case some of you new Ituo owners are interested. I tested my new Wiz20 with both the stock (leddna) optics and Gloworm spots on my lux meter whcih showed a 3% advantage in estimated lumens and 6% for max lux by changing to the Gloworms. Not much difference but along with the higher readings the GW optics also widened the beam slightly and from my experience the stock optics will loose about 10% efficiency over the first few rides where as the GW's will remain as new for about 2 yrs (because of better quality materials) making the difference greater. Still 13% output increase is not going to be all that noticeable but if you look at it like you can run the light set 1 or 2 settings down and get the same amount of light that would give you 13 to 26 minutes of extra runtime which probably makes the extra $15 more justifiable for most of us. Certainly not needed but an inexpensive and easy to do way of increasing the efficiency of your light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    (XP3 is only exception)
    Why didnít you swap out the optics in your XP3 for the Gloworms, Mole?

mtbr member
    Why didnít you swap out the optics in your XP3 for the Gloworms, Mole?
    Beam quality! I like the sharp cutoff of the stock optics better for viewing areas at distance but on the lower output lights like the XP2/Wiz20 not enough to offset the advantage of a wider beam/more throw/more overall power of the GW spots. Extra power and throw of the stock XP3 is beyond the useful limit (for me) so sharper cutoff at edge of beam is more to my liking. Personal preference affected by my eyes and the trails I typically ride.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mole, by any chance have you checked your new Wiz20 for battery drain?

Because although Ituo swears theyíve corrected the problem, mine self discharges pretty quickly if I keep the cells inside with the back cover in place.

That makes all three Ituo lamps Iíve received defective in some way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Indicator pink after two days from full charge

Also Wiz20 doesnít seem to be charging properly over Micro USB either, after a few hours case felt warm but cells were still only around 3.7V. Dunno where they started at but indicator was pink so below 20% and again, had been fully charged just a couple days ago. Know someone else had reported similar problem, his Wiz20 would not charge cells at all after a while.
    Last edited by andychrist; 04-03-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Update with charge indicator status

mtbr member
    Mole, by any chance have you checked your new Wiz20 for battery drain?

Because although Ituo swears theyíve corrected the problem, mine self discharges pretty quickly if I keep the cells inside with the back cover in place.

That makes all three Ituo lamps Iíve received defective in some way.
    Also Wiz20 doesnít seem to be charging properly over Micro USB either, after a few hours case felt warm but cells were still only around 3.7V. Dunno where they started at but again, had been fully charged just a couple days ago. Know someone else had reported similar problem, his Wiz20 would not charge cells at all after a while.
    I just checked my newest Wiz20 and after sitting several days it still shows blue when turned on. I always top the charge off before using my self-contained lights so possible it is discharging some. That's a known problem that Ituo (or amazon) should warranty. Hopefully since they still have stock on the Wiz20's you'll be able to get a replacement. Also I'll keep an eye on my light to see if it continues to hold a charge.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah well my Wiz20 seemed to be working fine and holding its charge the first two weeks or so Mole, only today did I notice it had gone all kerflooey. Would really like to get a working unit but with the luck Iíve had with Ituo seems there is just no quality control there, and if I exchange this one itís all too likely the replacement will fail as well. So guess Iíll just have to return it for refund.

mtbr member
    Yeah well my Wiz20 seemed to be working fine and holding its charge the first two weeks or so Mole, only today did I notice it had gone all kerflooey. Would really like to get a working unit but with the luck Iíve had with Ituo seems there is just no quality control there, and if I exchange this one itís all too likely the replacement will fail as well. So guess Iíll just have to return it for refund.
    If I had all the problems you've had with these lights I'm sure I'd feel the same way.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just got a refund from the 2 ITUO Wiz 2 lights. Oh well thanks lol
    Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Import Fee Deposit Refund: CAD6.44

mtbr member

Final Close Out?

I got and email from Ituo with some new prices that are low enough that may make these lights worth taking a risk on (considering the problems some had with the "old stock" Amazon items they had left).

Ituo International will hold a final clear out for all ituo lights on Amazon.

The price will be listed as below:

Wiz1/Wiz2 : $19.95

XP2 (Battery pack included): $59.95

Wiz20: $49.95
    Problems I know of were only battery related with the XP2's and $30 will get you a great "Hunk Lee" 6800 4 cell with Panasonic cells so very nice 1500 lumen light with an OK bar mount and super nice very low profile helmet mount that are both Gopro style for $90 total ($80 if you go with Lee's 3400 2 cell for helmet use).

Wiz20 main problem has been parasitic battery drain when stored. Doesn't effect lights performance but will always need to be charged before use or have batteries removed after charging.

Since it sounds like Ituo may be getting out of the light business I wouldn't trust they will honor any warranty issues so it's probably worth reading this whole thread before deciding whether it's worth taking the risk on these lights.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 06-03-2019 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mole, I know from experience that the Wiz20 cant be run while charging from an external USB power bank but forget, does it work from USB when its batteries are removed? TIA.

P.S. I was able to resolder one of the bad battery packs from the Wiz20 with a threaded lead from Hunk Lee, perfectly compatible with Ituoís screw connector and it works fine now. The other pack with the 90 minute run time, guess Iíll cannibalize for which ever cells test okay.

P.P.S: Looks like thereís a coupon for an additional $10 off each of those lights right now.

Shame about Ituo, great lights but terrible quality control.

mtbr member
    Mole, I know from experience that the Wiz20 cant be run while charging from an external USB power bank but forget, does it work from USB when its batteries are removed? TIA.
    I never tried, don't believe they ever claimed the usb port was for anything other than charging the batteries while not in use.

P.S. I was able to resolder one of the bad battery packs from the Wiz20 with a lead from Hunk Lee and it works fine now. The other one, with the 90 minute run time, guess Iíll cannibalize for which ever cells test okay.

P.P.S: Looks like thereís a coupon for an additional $10 off each of those lights right now.

Shame about Ituo, great lights but terrible quality control.
    Glad to hear you were able to salvage one of those batteries. I've had excellent luck with reliability on the Ituo lights but it's pretty clear the QC on those Amazon lights slipped quite a bit from the ones I got 3 yrs. ago. I got another email from Ituo later this morning that said there was still a chance they may bring out some new lights in the near future but not going to hold my breath. If they do come out with something new hopefully OC/performance will more closely match what they had with the original release lights.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I never tried, don't believe they ever claimed the usb port was for anything other than charging the batteries while not in use.

Mole
    Yeah well when I inquired with Ituo whether the Wiz20 could run while charging over USB they said yes but that turned out not to be the case. Do remember though that I tried it with the batteries removed and the light did come on but forget whether that was only in programming/flashing mode. Because if I knew that the Wiz could function normally when powered over USB Iíd buy one again and run it from a TrustFire 6-cell case/power-bank while simultaneously connecting my XP2 (swapped out with dual ellipticals) to the Magicshine style cable. Reason being that I really preferred the beam pattern on the Wiz20 over that of the XP2/3 for road riding on my commuter, cut-off throws more light downward.

Thanks again Mole.

mtbr member
    . Reason being that I really preferred the beam pattern on the Wiz20 over that of the XP2/3 for road riding on my commuter, cut-off throws more light downward.

Thanks again Mole.
    Difference in beam shape is caused by the shape of each lights bezel which are interchangeable. Wish I knew more about 3D image reproductions, it's probably possible to get something workable made to attach to your XP2.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Difference in beam shape is caused by the shape of each lights bezel which are interchangeable.
    Mole
    Yeah I know that but Ituo doesnít sell the bezels separately. I jerry-rigged something for my Yinding to mimic that function but it was kinda crude and now one of the screws from the faceplate has gone missing, grr.

Yinding with Reflector Shield by andyXchrist, on Flickr

it's probably possible to get something workable made to attach to your XP2.
    Mole
    Well with the ellipticals Iíve got installed in my XP2, I donít think the Wiz20 bezel would provide much if any additional value as the beam is already shortened. But Iíd willingly replace or at least supplement the unmodified XP3 with a working Wiz20 on my commuter just for the cutoff beam, it seems to be most efficient for road riding. On the trail of course itís good to have some light pointing upwards as well but Iíve got a stash of like a dozen lamps that do that anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So just a quick chime in here. I've also had an issue w/ the program mode but Ituo sent a new light. However, after 3 uses of the light the cord is split at the light and starting to come out. And I've been ultra gentle w/ the light. 3 uses. I haven't sent an email to Ituo as at this point I'm just gonna chalk this off to a great light that I really like but cheap quality as per the other inexpensive Chinese lights. I guess there's a reason a DiNotte or Glowworm, etc etc all cost more. You get what you pay for. I still like the light and the beam and brightness but it is what it is.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I'm really tempted by these prices - if a light didn't work correctly, it could be returned to Amazon during the first 30 days. After that, I really do think you're on your own.

I've grown to love the XP-2 on my early morning commute - run it near max brightness for the first half hour (darkest roads) and then knock it down to half power for the next half hour and then switch it to flashing. I really don't think I need more than three XP-2 and two XP-3 lights though - even with the family also riding.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Update to the prices Mr. Mole posted.

If you select the Ituo XP2, check the $10 coupon and scroll down to see an option to add a Wiz1, Wiz2 or Wiz20 with a 20% discount. If you select to add a Wiz20 to your XP2 order, make sure you also click on the Wiz20 $10 coupon. Looks like these extra discounts are one time use per light type.

So, you can buy an XP2 and a Wiz1 or Wiz2 for $65.91 after discounts or an XP2 and a Wiz20 for $79.91 after all discounts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    To all those concerned about Ituo honoring the warranty, I was told from the company that they have stock in China and not to worry, warranties will be honored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So just a quick chime in here. I've also had an issue w/ the program mode but Ituo sent a new light. However, after 3 uses of the light the cord is split at the light and starting to come out. And I've been ultra gentle w/ the light. 3 uses. I haven't sent an email to Ituo as at this point I'm just gonna chalk this off to a great light that I really like but cheap quality as per the other inexpensive Chinese lights. I guess there's a reason a DiNotte or Glowworm, etc etc all cost more. You get what you pay for. I still like the light and the beam and brightness but it is what it is.
    I love Gloworm lights myself but they are also made in China! And I have had to send back my lights to Action LED for a broken internal wire and a completely bent plug. Seems as though quality control is an issue regardless of how much you spend. Hopefully whatever company it is will at least back up their warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I think I tried to install the mount backwards and now it won't release. Did I read somewhere that this was an issue? Damn manual wasn't very clear. XP2

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I think I tried to install the mount backwards and now it won't release. Did I read somewhere that this was an issue? Damn manual wasn't very clear. XP2
    Iím glad Iím not the only one! Both my XP2 and XP3 are now permanently mounted....at least until I can figure it out. On the upside, itís the only flaw Iíve personally experienced with these lights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just take a paper clip and push out the metal pin, taking care not to let the little spring eject out of sight.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    To all those concerned about Ituo honoring the warranty, I was told from the company that they have stock in China and not to worry, warranties will be honored.
    Will be interesting to see if they do. I've helped a large number of folks convert their Ituo lights to GoPro mounting because they could not get their broken OEM bar mounts replaced under warranty.

Shame they can't get their act together. When they first hit the market, I had an opportunity to have a close look at one to measure for the design of a GoPro adapter. It seemed a really nice product and most that got in on the early production versions found them to be really good lights for the money.

mtbr member
    Will be interesting to see if they do. I've helped a large number of folks convert their Ituo lights to GoPro mounting because they could not get their broken OEM bar mounts replaced under warranty.

Shame they can't get their act together. When they first hit the market, I had an opportunity to have a close look at one to measure for the design of a GoPro adapter. It seemed a really nice product and most that got in on the early production versions found them to be really good lights for the money.
    I guess I've been lucky not to have had any issues other than the original brittle plastic mounts (XP2/XP3) with the 6 Ituo lights I currently have. I'm also lucky enough to have one of the Amazon XP2's from a couple of months ago along with my original that I've had for over 3 yrs. now (the one you saw). Comparing the two lights side by side it's impossible for me to tell any difference as far as performance and quality of the build components. Assembly quality between production runs can vary considerably but is easily fixed and hopefully what's responsible for the Amazon Ituo's poorer reliability record. Higher risk of having problems definitely exists but is far less likely than ending up with a great light for dirt cheap prices with worst case of being able to send the light back through Amazon. My Ituo experience has earned them enough good karma points that I still hope they end up bring out some new lights in the future. Till then my best option for hot summer rides (when the doctors let me ride again) is still my XP2 & XP3 with Vancbiker finned gopro mounts.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    By far the Wiz20 was the light with users switching to GoPro mounting due to broken OEM mounts. Combining the ones I sold while trying to help RAKC weather the ITUO blowup and ones sold to folks seeing the various forum threads regarding Ituo, it is well over a hundred Wiz20 to GoPro conversions.

Since the XP series are GoPro compatible anyway, if someone had a bar mount break they could just buy any good GoPro mount and be back riding. Most folks buying an adapter for XP series were looking for improved heat management or lower mounting profile.

I sometime wonder about the wild fluctuations in QC on the Chinese bike stuff. When I was modding the "out front" clone GoPro mounts I never got the same thing twice. One order would be great with all parts nice. Another order would have a mix of good, OK, and bad. Twice I got orders where 75% were bad.

mtbr member
    Since the XP series are GoPro compatible anyway, if someone had a bar mount break they could just buy any good GoPro mount and be back riding. Most folks buying an adapter for XP series were looking for improved heat management or lower mounting profile.
    That would be me. The main reason I prefer these lights over my Gloworms is that they work better with your Gopro mounts and while the Gloworms my have some nicer features and actually output a bit more light when its hot out the situation is reversed with the GW's continuously operating in their linear thermal protection mode and visually making noticeably less output.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Still running

Since it sounds like Ituo is getting out of the light business I wouldn't trust they will honor any warranty issues so it's probably worth reading this whole thread before deciding whether it's worth taking the risk on these lights.
    Mole
    I emailed and asked Ituo if they're closing operations. They said no, just clearing out amazon stock, they're still in business and developing new products!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just take a paper clip and push out the metal pin, taking care not to let the little spring eject out of sight.
    Sweet. Thanks. So frustrating but then, a mountain lion just took a swipe at a few people so no night riding for a little while for me. Unless I ride with someone faster and slower .

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    This clearance was too much to resist. I bought an XP2 and Wiz1 to complement my XP3, purchased when that one initially came out.

The Wiz1 arrived today. Seems like a nice light. Good build, programmable, removable 26650 battery, 800 lumens claimed. Smaller and heavier than I expected. The beam is quite narrow with limited spill. Ideal for my fast road bikes and maybe a helmet spot, but definitely not as a bar light off-road. It's brighter and warmer in color than my Cygolight Metro Plus 800 and illuminates perhaps 30% less area.

A few details detract. The charging micro-USB cable, while of good quality, is too big to fit snug against the light body. The light charges anyway. The small attachment that allows the light to be GoPro-compatible is still plastic. I haven't had any issues with this part on my XP3.

The GoPro bar mount is another story. It looks like a metal replica of my XP3's plastic mount (which broke shortly after purchase). Heavy, strong, but unfortunately not any good. The latch has so little friction that, once affixed to the bar, it springs open at the slightest touch. Perhaps some DIY abrasion can fix this. The plastic was so sticky (when it worked) that this wasn't a problem.

For a $15 or whatever impulse buy, I'm happy, if not thrilled. TBD on the XP2.

mtbr member
    I emailed and asked Ituo if they're closing operations. They said no, just clearing out amazon stock, they're still in business and developing new products!
    To be fair I edited the post you quoted to read "Ituo may be getting out of the light business". Correct meaning can sometimes get lost in the translation when communication by email with China but statements like "other business plans" and "we may not be selling lights for the next half a year" leave me a bit skeptical, especially considering the way they exited the market a few yrs. ago. I love these lights and am happy to recommend them so hope they do release the new versions but if not I see no reason to expect things won't go down like they did the last time.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    The Wiz1 arrived today. Seems like a nice light. Good build, programmable, removable 26650 battery, 800 lumens claimed. Smaller and heavier than I expected. The beam is quite narrow with limited spill. Ideal for my fast road bikes and maybe a helmet spot, but definitely not as a bar light off-road. It's brighter and warmer in color than my Cygolight Metro Plus 800 and illuminates perhaps 30% less area.
    Have you actually got to ride with the Wia1? I thought the same thing about the beam being pretty narrow but found the spill to be wider than expected when riding. Spill worked pretty good on paths but still too dim for trails.

The GoPro bar mount is another story. It looks like a metal replica of my XP3's plastic mount (which broke shortly after purchase). Heavy, strong, but unfortunately not any good. The latch has so little friction that, once affixed to the bar, it springs open at the slightest touch. Perhaps some DIY abrasion can fix this. The plastic was so sticky (when it worked) that this wasn't a problem.
    I've got a metal mount that does this too. Try rotating the lever 90 degrees. Allows more rotation and rests lower on the cam profile. May solve your problem.
    Mole

Great sale on ITUO lights! - Lowest prices ever, and additional coupons!-014.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Try rotating the lever 90 degrees. Allows more rotation and rests lower on the cam profile. May solve your problem.
    Mole
    Indeed, I'll fiddle with it more when I take it for a proper ride. Just some garage tests for the moment.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Picked up two of these lights for $112. 4 are left. I'm willing to gamble at that price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Changing the mount release orientation worked, thanks.

I do notice they shipped the same plastic Gopro mounting screw with both lights. The plastic portion of my XP3 screw broke after a crash. EBay has alloy replacements for a couple bucks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Are the negatives on the Wiz20 so high that it would not be worth picking it up for $35 mostly for road rides?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well the problems with the Wiz20 are twofold; one is the parasitic battery drain, so if you leave the two cells in the case they will run down below 20% rather quickly. Other is that it loses the ability to charge over USB, so you would need an external charger.

But if you can get it to work for you with the above caveats, it really is a very efficient lamp and the cut off beam pattern is ideal for road riding or wide open trails with no overhead.

Only thing that keeps me from ordering another this low price is the outdated Cree XM L2 U2 emitters with their ever so slightly greenish tint. Kaidomain sells a $16 helmet/bar lamp BL2S with a lousy UI and which relies on an external battery pack (user supplied) but it comes with XM L2 U3 emitters in your choice of color temps. I found the 4000K to be astonishing and am so spoiled with it now that I just cant bring myself to purchase another lamp in a U2 bin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    Are the negatives on the Wiz20 so high that it would not be worth picking it up for $35 mostly for road rides?
    Wiz20 is one of my all time favorite lights. My original has seen over 3 yrs. of service and the usb port connection is getting a little iffy but my plan has always been just to charge the batteries externally if the connection ever gives up so IMO worth the inconvenience if your light has the parasitic drain/charging problem. Other than the usb port wear issue my original has been trouble free as have been the 2 new lights I got this yr. but those have seen very little use (coronary symptoms and a triple bi-pass 6 weeks ago have pretty much kept me off the bike since the beginning of the yr.). Parasitic drain seem a pretty common problem but if you anticipate you may end up with this issue on the front end of the deal I'm sure you'll end uup being very happy with your Wiz20.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the feedback on the Wiz20. I'm leaning toward getting it, though.

@MRMOLE, hope you're getting well and back in the saddle soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    @MRMOLE, hope you're getting well and back in the saddle soon.
    Thanks! 49 days and counting. I actually start a structured rehab program (3 days a week) next week and hope that will make the time go faster.
    Mole

Rod
    mtbr member
    Thanks! 49 days and counting. I actually start a structured rehab program (3 days a week) next week and hope that will make the time go faster.
    Mole
    Heal fast Mole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Heal fast Mole.
    I'm working on it. The one thing they encouraged me to do from the beginning was walk and have been getting my moneys worth out of the Wiz1 I picked up earlier this yr. since it's over 100 degrees now here and early morning or evening hrs. are the best times to be out! Wiz1 makes a great walking light.
    Mole

Rod
    mtbr member
    I'm working on it. The one thing they encouraged me to do from the beginning was walk and have been getting my moneys worth out of the Wiz1 I picked up earlier this yr. since it's over 100 degrees now here and early morning or evening hrs. are the best times to be out! Wiz1 makes a great walking light.
    Mole
    Fantastic! You'll be back to night riding and testing more lights in no time!

My two sets of xp2 came in yesterday. Blown away by the size of this little light. I can't wait to use it. You recommendations sold another light for ITUO.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Wiz1 is down to $13 on Amazon - four left. The battetry alone is worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wiz1 is down to $13 on Amazon - four left. The battetry alone is worth it.
    There were 3 left and I just ordered 2 of them, one left now 

mtbr member
    There were 3 left and I just ordered 2 of them, one left now 
    What's your plan for these lights? I've gotten quite a bit of use lately with mine on my nightly cardiac rehab walks. Only a couple of actual rides but 46 more days and will be cleared to ride again. It's been a long year!
    Mole

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Wiz2 down to $13 now - 8 left

Wiz20 down to $27 - 11 left

Great deal on both lights, especially the Wiz20. Something to consider with the Wiz20 is the parasitic battery drain - it is real (hopefully not on all lights though). One of the ones I recently bought has it bad - if you can deal with it or are okay with removing the batteries when you store the light (I would do that if you won't use the light for a day or two) it's a great light at a smoking price.

mtbr member
    Wiz2 down to $13 now - 8 left

Wiz20 down to $27 - 11 left

Great deal on both lights, especially the Wiz20. Something to consider with the Wiz20 is the parasitic battery drain - it is real (hopefully not on all lights though). One of the ones I recently bought has it bad - if you can deal with it or are okay with removing the batteries when you store the light (I would do that if you won't use the light for a day or two) it's a great light at a smoking price.
    When packaged for shipping the Wiz20 has a small piece of paper covering the back of the batteries to insulate them from the contacts on the back cover. Was wondering if that would stop the parasitic drain? Seems like a better solution to dealing with the problem (if it works) than having to remove the batteries. I'd check this myself but none of my (3) Wiz20's have the problem (yet) so if anyone with the problem tries this would love to know if it works.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah Mole it works, as well as just leaving off the rear cover. But that still doesnít solve the problem that once the parasitic drain kicks in, the light wonít charge over USB anymore so that it will also require an external battery charger.

mtbr member
    Yeah Mole it works, as well as just leaving off the rear cover. But that still doesnít solve the problem that once the parasitic drain kicks in, the light wonít charge over USB anymore so that it will also require an external battery charger.
    Thanks! I didn't realize the two problems were connected. Still allows batteries to be stored in light for those who would keep it in a pack till needed. Your light is actually the only one I've heard that has the charging problem, will have to contact Fancy @ Ituo to see if all the problem lights share both issues.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mole there was someone else either in this thread or the one on the Wiz20 who mentioned the problem with charging only IIRC he just stated that the charge light would stay pink no matter how long left connected over USB. So Iím assuming itís one defect in the circuit board thatís causing the two issues, seeing as that they arose simultaneously. Bigger question is if itís a short, how long before the whole lamp goes south?

mtbr member
    Mole there was someone else either in this thread or the one on the Wiz20 who mentioned the problem with charging only IIRC he just stated that the charge light would stay pink no matter how long left connected over USB.
    Actually my original Wiz20 will occasionally stay pink even though fully charged but always charges and has no parasitic drain? If it seems like it's taking too long to charge I just loosen the back cover and the light changes to blue.

So Iím assuming itís one defect in the circuit board thatís causing the two issues, seeing as that they arose simultaneously. Bigger question is if itís a short, how long before the whole lamp goes south?
    Hopefully that won't happen. I already sent the email to Ituo so will be interesting to see what they have to say.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Actually my original Wiz20 will occasionally stay pink even though fully charged but always charges and has no parasitic drain? If it seems like it's taking too long to charge I just loosen the back cover and the light changes to blue.
    Mole
    Weird! But the Wiz20 belonging to the poster I mentioned definitely wasnít charging because the indicator stayed pink no matter what he did.

KotH also mentioned that he has one Wiz20 with a really bad parasitic drain so maybe he can verify whether it can still charge over USB.

Also maybe you can test your own unit to see whether it can run from a USB power source (even a wall charger would suffice here) when it is empty of cells. Because then a USB power bank would be an option for running the Wiz20 without an external charger for the two cells and the hassle of keeping them disconnected when not in service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast