Gopro mount for single 18650 headlamps (ArmyTek, Zebralight, etc)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Gopro mount for single 18650 headlamps (ArmyTek, Zebralight, etc)?

I've got an ArmyTek Wizard, which I love for general use. I also just got a new Bell Super DH helmet, which comes with a nice GoPro mount.

I've been looking for (and unable to find) a gopro mount/adapter for a standard 18650 style headlamp to use if I want to try my hand at twighlight/night riding at some point, and before I spend a greater amount on new lights (before I determine that I even like it).

Does anyone know where I can find such a device?

The backup plan is to just use the standard headlamp mount/strap, and wrap it around the helmet just like I'd do with a pair of goggles. But I'd rather have something a bit more secure/etc to use for the light if I could.

I was just amazed that I couldn't find anything available for lights so common, so I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knew of anything. I searched around for a while, but didn't see any topics/threads that seemed similar.

Thanks .

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    There is one thing I've seen but not sure how it would do for helmet use. Ones that use band mounts meant for hanging the light. Actually as I'm typing this I know or 2 (Ravemen makes one that's very similar). But I dont recall anyone else even asking about this option.

There are ones here that have or do use an 18650 light on a helmet that have good ways of mounting them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've been making GoPro adapters for bike lights for about 5 years now. I have made some for folks using regular 18650 flashlights, but never had anyone ask for one to use with one of the "periscope" type flashlights. Either there are not very many folks using those for riding or the current range of mounting options is working very well.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I've been making GoPro adapters for bike lights for about 5 years now. I have made some for folks using regular 18650 flashlights, but never had anyone ask for one to use with one of the "periscope" type flashlights. Either there are not very many folks using those for riding or the current range of mounting options is working very well.
    Problem with the current periscope style lights is inadequate heatsink mass and runtimes for the higher powered lights that would be useful to cyclists + beam patterns not designed for cycling use. If you took the Ion 1300 I've been testing and turned the output section sideways (periscope style), made the battery housing section round, used something similar to your bar mount to clamp on the round section with a male Gopro interface you'd be able to mount the light sideways and forward and more importantly lower for helmet use. Same setup with any bar mounted Gopro mount you could slide the light horizontally in the mount and end up with the output section centered in front of the stem or lower to keep it protected. That design would work for me! I survived a 50 mi. ride with the Ion 1300 mounted high on top of the helmet with only minimal discomfort at the rides end so at least this would be a big improvement with the lower CG.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Sounds like without realizing it, I've been looking for something of a unicorn then.

I know they may not be the most ideal light for helmet use (wider than ideal beam I'd assume), but with how common they are, I'm still surprised that no adapter appears to exist for them.

Guess I'll be sticking to using them under the visor and around the back like I would with a pair of goggles for now. Maybe if that doesn't work, I'll goof around with the 3d printer I know we have at work somewhere, and print out something of my own.

Thanks for the help everyone .

mtbr member
    This light is a bit like one of the right-angle lights.
    It rotates in plastic bushings. Maybe there would be some way to adapt it to a helmet if you're really keen.

https://www.rakclighting.com/collect...n-led-headlamp

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    ....I know they may not be the most ideal light for helmet use (wider than ideal beam I'd assume), but with how common they are, I'm still surprised that no adapter appears to exist for them.
    I suspect that while they may be a common flashlight, not many are using that style light on bikes. There is one MTBR user that really likes the Zebralight model. Recently one of the regular posters here tried a Zebralight and was pretty unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    ..... I'll goof around with the 3d printer I know we have at work somewhere, and print out something of my own.
    If you do print one, try to avoid using PLA material. It is a very common 3D print material, but based on input from some of my customers, typically does hold up well for bike use. I have had folks tell me that ABS is much better and Nylon is really good.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    There are GoPro torch mounts that are designed to hold an 18650 style torch. I know because I have one. The thing is it is designed to be use with a conventional straight 18650 torch.

With that said you should be able to find a helmet GPro mount that will pivot 90 and allow the holder to mount in the off-set direction if you are using a periscope type torch.

I do own a Zebralight P-style torch. What I did to use the torch on a helmet is just buy another Z-light mount, cut off the straps and then mount to the front of the helmet using Velcro strapping. This works very well for me but in order to get the rubber mount to be stable I found that I had to used the straps in a vertical fashion ( up-down between two vents ) rather than side to side. To do this you need some vent holes in your helmet to line up right in order to make this work. No problem with the helmet I own. I tried using the straps side to side but the rubber mount just wiggled too much which I didn't like.

Look around on Amazon doing a search for helmet Go-Pro mounts. Some of those mounts designed for cameras should be able to pivot 180-360.
    Find that and then you can use one of these
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 10-31-2018 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    The silicone mounts that the armytek wizards and Zebralights come with are the best option for helmet mount. Buy an extra mount and use Velcro straps through vents. Not sure about the armytek, but you can remove the Zebralight straps without having to cut them or run the strap around the helmet like ski goggles, and just use a few velcro around the helmet to hold things down.