A good light for $60 or less?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    122

    A good light for $60 or less?

    Alright so I attempted to delve into the world of night riding lights and quickly figured out I am way out of my league here. I can't believe how much information there is! So I am hoping the resident experts can help me out here. The type of riding I am planning on is technical trails that have quite a few rocks and roots everywhere that I will be bouncing on a lot.

    If you had to recommend a cheap light that has good battery life, what would it be?

    So far I started with the updated version of the bright eyes:
    Amazon.com : Bright Eyes Rechargeable Mountain Bike Headlight - NEW SQUARE MODEL With New 6400mAh Battery - POWERFUL 1200 Lumens - FREE TAILLIGHT AND DIFFUSER LENS Included, Limited Time - WATERPROOF - No Tools required - LIFETIME WARRANTY : Sports &

    3.5 hours of battery life on high, a wide angle lens, and a lifetime warranty. Seems good to me!

    Is there anything that's able to beat this value? I was reading about other lights that are apparently $20 from old forum posts that are just as good as this one, but I haven't been able to find any such lights.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: huckleberry hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    914
    Those are Chinese lumens. The exchange rate for Chinese limens to actual lumens is about the same as the Mexican peso to the US dollar. For a good quality light that will have an actual 1200+ lumens that is shipped from the US I would get this one http://www.amazon.com/XECCON-SPIKER-...ds=spiker+1210 . It is $9.00 over your $60.00 budget but it is worth it. I have two of these and they are great lights. The battery pack that comes with this is smaller than mine but you can always upgrade that later. Xeccon is a good quality brand that you can trust.
    Here is the MTBR review on this light. Review: Xeccon Spiker 1210 - Mtbr.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,462
    +1^^

    To add to huckleberry hound,,, not only are the lumens way over rated but in many cases so are the run times as these are cheap Chinese battery's and in some cases have fake dummy cells within the battery pack. On top of that sketchy chargers. A potential fire hazard.

    Also based on your post CCR, it sounds like your planning on running just one light? I cringe when I hear that as lights do fail and the really cheap ones do a lot more often than proven brand names. If your sure night riding is for you please try to find the budget for two set ups. Two of those Xeccon spikers will cost you $138. You will have a set up with proven reliability that will be much closer to advertised output and run times. If one light fails during your ride the second one will save your a$$. Cheers!!

  4. #4
    Deadrise & Derailleurs
    Reputation: curtiseddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    Those are Chinese lumens. The exchange rate for Chinese limens to actual lumens is about the same as the Mexican peso to the US dollar. For a good quality light that will have an actual 1200+ lumens that is shipped from the US I would get this one http://www.amazon.com/XECCON-SPIKER-...ds=spiker+1210 . It is $9.00 over your $60.00 budget but it is worth it. I have two of these and they are great lights. The battery pack that comes with this is smaller than mine but you can always upgrade that later. Xeccon is a good quality brand that you can trust.
    Here is the MTBR review on this light. Review: Xeccon Spiker 1210 - Mtbr.com
    Do you have any issues with light jiggle? I'm just hesitant to use an o-ring mount. If you're experience is solid (pun halfway intended), I may be sold on the light.
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    122
    Thank you for the responses! The Xeccon sounds like a great deal. You mentioned that you are using a different battery pack though, if you don't mind me asking which one are you using?

    Two lights is going to be slightly difficult for me in my budget but I'll try. Is there possibly a really cheap secondary light I could get? Or is it just worth it to have the output from two good lights?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,462
    It's more than an output concern with really cheap lights,, it's the (battery's) Their not only crap but dangerous. The Xeccon is the best value in a proven brand IMO,, next step up from there also IMO is the Gemini products.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,043
    If you don't have anything I would get a Yinding from Gearbest and battery/charger from action led.

    If the Nitefighter BT21 group buys works out then I would jump on that. Also consider a refurbished Glowworm X2 or XS from action led. That's the best value right now.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    Do you have any issues with light jiggle? I'm just hesitant to use an o-ring mount.
    Easy to convert to a GoPro mount. It's rock solid then.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Cal Rider View Post
    .......Two lights is going to be slightly difficult for me in my budget but I'll try. Is there possibly a really cheap secondary light I could get? Or is it just worth it to have the output from two good lights?
    It's really nice to have two good lights. If you are on a tight budget and can not afford a second light, bring a decent LED flashlight and some way to mount it to your helmet or bars.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    22
    I picked up a Fenix BC21R for $70. 880 lumens for 1 hour 20 min, 380 lumens (more than enough to see with, brightly) for 4 hours 30 min on a single 18650 battery. I run mine in flash mode (a slow 'strobe' mode) which probably gets 6ish hours of runtime (educated guess as they don't runtime numbers for the strobe mode).

    An extra 18650 battery is a mere 1.56 ounces, and the ladder-style o-ring mount holds it secure to my bike.

    Fenix is a trusted flashlight brand, with real world integrated sphere lumen numbers (I forget if they measure them OTF or directly from the LED itself), and their runtime is pretty close to real world results. I've only dealt with brands like Surefire, Nitecore, Fenix, 4Sevens, Quark, Eagle, etc. (which the "flashaholics" over on CandlePowerForums.com love those brands) but was a little lost when picking out a flashlight for biking since Fenix was the only one of those companies to make a bike version of their lights I liked - so that's why I went with Fenix: it's the only trusted flashlight brand I knew of (after several THOUSAND hours of being active on the flashlight forums) to make a bike light.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: huckleberry hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Cal Rider View Post
    Thank you for the responses! The Xeccon sounds like a great deal. You mentioned that you are using a different battery pack though, if you don't mind me asking which one are you using?

    Two lights is going to be slightly difficult for me in my budget but I'll try. Is there possibly a really cheap secondary light I could get? Or is it just worth it to have the output from two good lights?
    Mine came with a 7800ma Samsung battery pack but it was $99.99

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: huckleberry hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    Do you have any issues with light jiggle? I'm just hesitant to use an o-ring mount. If you're experience is solid (pun halfway intended), I may be sold on the light.
    The one that is mount on the bars does creep up. It doesn't jiggle though. The one that is on my helmet I use a old Night Rider mount. As Vancbiker said it is easy to change mounts.

  13. #13
    Deadrise & Derailleurs
    Reputation: curtiseddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Easy to convert to a GoPro mount. It's rock solid then.
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    The one that is mount on the bars does creep up. It doesn't jiggle though. The one that is on my helmet I use a old Night Rider mount. As Vancbiker said it is easy to change mounts.
    Do tell. Could you expand on these statments, please. I have a GoPro and a variety of mounts.
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: huckleberry hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    Do tell. Could you expand on these statments, please. I have a GoPro and a variety of mounts.
    Vancbiker makes GoPro adapters. GoPro adapters for bike lights
    While I don't have a GoPro the ones on his website for the Magicshine 880 clones should work. It has the channel necessary for the power cord. I would get the ABS plastic as it will be easier to finish the grove for the power cord.

  15. #15
    Action LED Lights
    Reputation: Action LED Lights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    626
    You could also go with the old reliable Magicshine MJ-808. We have the latest version for $69.95. Add a wide angle lens or upgrade the battery for a little bit more.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    Do tell. Could you expand on these statments, please. I have a GoPro and a variety of mounts.
    My site as huckleberry linked in his post or in my signature line will give some basic info. I'm pretty bad about keeping it updated so send me a PM or e-mail with if you don't see what you are looking for or if you have other questions.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    Vancbiker makes GoPro adapters. GoPro adapters for bike lights
    While I don't have a GoPro the ones on his website for the Magicshine 880 clones should work. It has the channel necessary for the power cord. I would get the ABS plastic as it will be easier to finish the grove for the power cord.
    Thanks for the plug! The adapter for the Magicshine MJ808 series and 808 clones is what usually works best for many Chinese lights. The adapter for the Magicshine MJ880 is very unique and only fits the genuine MJ880. A couple years ago some MJ880 clones were sold on Amazon and ebay as Magicshine MJ880s. It has caused some confusion when someone has ordered an adapter for an MJ880 and they then complain that it does not fit. In every case, when they send me a picture of their light, it turns out to be an MJ880 clone.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Similar Threads

  1. Good Helmet light to pair with my bar light?
    By walkman in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2014, 06:36 PM
  2. Another use for a good bike light
    By Ofroad'bent in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 10:20 PM
  3. Good light weight GXP bb?
    By Jonnybravo in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 04:03 PM
  4. Good light setup? MJ-880 + helmet mounted light?
    By Muffinhead in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM
  5. What else is this Bike Light good for?
    By Action LED Lights in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.