Gloworm XS or Trail LED XXX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Gloworm XS or Trail LED XXX?

I'm on the hunt again and surprisingly couldn't find a direct comparison. Both lights are priced at $350. Alternatively is there a better option regarding the GW XS as a head unit only getting 3rd party batteries or is it better to get the whole XS kit using their battery?

The Dog.
    Not exactly apples to apples. The XS is really meant as a bar based light, clearly all of the trailLED lights are meant for helmet mounting.

I cannot speak for the trailLED, but I can speak for the XS.

Very, very bright light. Wish it had a little more flood, but with two flood optics, it is damn near perfect. Incredible, beautiful form factor. One of the most beautiful, cool-looking lights I have ever seen. The remote button is an awesome idea and is awesome in practice, however I think could have been executed better in terms of where the wires split. Battery life is as advertised, however the indicator on the battery is grossly inaccurate with the XS, as the battery was designed for the draw of the X2. The battery pack is very light, but the mounting method is not as secure or easy as some battery packs with a neoprene cover. I ended up buying a magicshine neoprene cover and putting my battery in it. I also think that the battery cord should be slightly longer. Bottom line: I do NOT feel that there is a compelling reason to get the gloworm battery, so long as you get a similar high quality 4 cell that is as light and powerful. If you were to build or find a 4 cell from four panasonic 3400 mAh, then you could probably exceed the capacity of the gloworm.

All those gripes being said, the XS is an incredible light. Being behind it gives you a feeling of power. I do not ride on the road with it on high, as cars simply cannot tolerate it, they flash and flash their brights despite proper aiming. I have ridden by people on the road and trail who have yelled out, "Damn! Nice light!" I have had some pretty powerful lights before, but never, EVER received comments on them, mostly just jaw-dropped, bugcatcher looks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Gloworm XS or Trail LED XXX?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    I ended up buying a magicshine neoprene cover and putting my battery in it.
    Which one did you buy? Google isn't being very helpful.

I'm buying a hunk Lee battery for my X2. I was thinking of getting these to mount it. http://www.action-led-lights.com/col...j-6038-battery

The Dog.
    This one. I like it. Came on my MJ-856 and fits the gloworm perfectly.

Action-LED-Lights ? Neoprene battery bag

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think I'm going with the Gloworm XS light only and batteries from hunk lee. Thinking about
    Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 13600mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S4PHM | eBay
    For long rides. How long should the light last on high? Overkill?
    And
    Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 6800mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S2PM | eBay
    for short rides.

I have this charger from my R/C planes.
    TowerHobbies.com | Great Planes ElectriFly Triton EQ AC/DC Charger
    This will work right? What plug will I need and is the batteries plug the same as the GLoworm?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
    I think I'm going with the Gloworm XS light only and batteries from hunk lee. Thinking about
    Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 13600mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S4PHM | eBay
    For long rides. How long should the light last on high? Overkill?
    And
    Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 6800mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S2PM | eBay
    for short rides.
    He also sells a 6 cell if you think the 8 cell is overkill.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-NC...item338744d486

The theory is double the capacity (mah), double the runtime. Ie the 6 cell would last 3 hours, the 8 cell for 4 hours. I'm not sure how that plays out in practice though.

I'm debating between the 4 and 6 cell versions. I will likely never go on a 2 hour ride and need high the whole time. But I'm thinking battery life always shortens sooner than I would have liked, I could get lost or get a flat while trying to get back.. Or both.

mtbr member
    Ghostchili,

Get the 13.6. Look at Rojo's set up. It's killer!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...834295-31.html

I run my XS on the hunk Lee 6200mah and 10200mah.
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Ghostchili,

Get the 13.6. Look at Rojo's set up. It's killer!

I run my XS on the hunk Lee 6200mah and 10200mah.
    How long do your batteries run on high? Are the Hunk Lee connectors the same as the Gloworms? Plasti-dip should work just fine thanks.

mtbr member
    I agree with everything Dogdude222 said.

On the battery issue the only reason I can see not to go with the Gloworm battery would be if you wanted a higher capacity battery, namely a Samsung or Panasonic 6-cell. That said if you buy a Hunk Lee battery the connectors supplied by HL are not exact matches to the connectors that are provided on the Gloworm lamps. While they still will work they will likely not be as weather worthy or as secure as the standard magicshine type connectors supplied with the Gloworms. Further, add to this you still need a battery bag for the 6-cell battery if you ever want to mount the battery to the bike frame.

Of course you could buy the HL battery of your choice and supply your own MS type connector. That wouldn't be too hard to do, just remove the shrink wrap, desolder the cable/connector and solder in a standard MS type connector and wire. To get the MS connector/wire you just buy a MS extension cable ( ~ $4 ) generally used for helmet lamps and cut off the length needed for your battery.

I hate repeating myself but IMO I'd rather buy a battery that is set and ready to go without a lot of DIY'ing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Dogdude and Cat. I'm comfortable with soldering. I used to build R/C car batteries with matched cells. Cat I'm just trying to save $ and increase runtime a tad. The XS with everything is $350, with everything minus battery/charger is $200. I'm sure that Triton charger will work and the 6 cell battery is $60 from Hunk Lee plus the accessories to get the connectors to work. So I'll save about $90.
    Cat where do you get the heat shrink from? I'll need it after soldering the new connectors on.
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Which one did you buy? Google isn't being very helpful.

I'm buying a hunk Lee battery for my X2. I was thinking of getting these to mount it. Action-LED-Lights ? Mounting Straps for Magicshine Hardshell Batterys
    Matto, looks like we've been going through the same circles. We both just returned out NR lights for GW.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I hate repeating myself but IMO I'd rather buy a battery that is set and ready to go without a lot of DIY'ing.
    I'm willing to pay for convenience if it's within reason. But when he same money gets you over 4x the capacity, it's too good to pass up. And for something that will probably only last a year or maybe 2 before it needs to be replaced it makes even more sense.

Has anyone actually plasti-dipped one of these yet? Did you use the spray or the dip?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm willing to pay for convenience if it's within reason. But when he same money gets you over 4x the capacity, it's too good to pass up. And for something that will probably only last a year or maybe 2 before it needs to be replaced it makes even more sense.

Has anyone actually plasti-dipped one of these yet? Did you use the spray or the dip?
    Gharddog posted this
    Dojo' setup. I'm guessing spray.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Gharddog posted this
    Dojo' setup. I'm guessing spray.
    Nice! Weight down low and out if way of knees sounds great. But it also means more wires to be run and connected to the bike. Hmmm.

Btw, I just sent hunk Lee email asking if he takes requests for custom wire lengths, and if he offers a more weatherproof cable. His page mentions that if he doesn't have what you want to contact him and he'll make it, so this might be a much simpler solution than soldering!

I'll let you know what he replies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I'll let you know what he replies.
    Hunk Lee replied immediately, saying

"We can use waterproof cable with DC5.5/2.1 connector for bike battery. We can extend the cable If you need more than 20cm. Any longer."

So yay on the waterproof cable! And I'm not entry sure what he's saying about the length but I'm going to figure out the length I want and request the waterproof version! He might make a custom auction with a slightly higher price but that's fine and I'm guessing it will be minimal.

mtbr member
    How long do your batteries run on high? Are the Hunk Lee connectors the same as the Gloworms? Plasti-dip should work just fine thanks.
    Longer than my rides. Plus I'm not usually hammering down on 100% setting. MS, Gloworm, Gemini, and HL battery connectors all work. What kind of run time are you looking for?

Just plasti-dip the battery for better waterproofing....
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

The Dog.
    I did a formal run test with a fan on my XS after the indicator was showing low levels after only 30 minutes. Ran for just over 2 hours, as advertised.

Unless I was doing more expedition riding, I cannot see the need for an 8 cell pack. If you run this light on high while climbing, you'll just blind yourself. If you run this light on high while riding on the road, someone will eventually swerve off of the road. We are getting to a point now with light output that allows us to run on low or medium most of the time and have ample light. Remember that only a few short years ago, 150-300 lumens from a halogen light was standard. Is it nice jamming down the trail balls out with 2200 lumens? Yes! Is it necessary all of the time? Hell no!

Like I said, the primary advantage of the gloworm battery pack is how damn light the thing is...pretty dramatic difference between it and my samsung magicshine four cell. I like the gloworm connectors too. Solid connection, but I do not have to manhandle them and explode the tendons in my hands to undo them like my magicshine. That ultimately led to a wire failure in the connector. I would go for the gloworm pack with neoprene bag. If you decided you need more capacity down the road, you have great options that are cheap.

mtbr member
    Hunk Lee replied immediately, saying

"We can use waterproof cable with DC5.5/2.1 connector for bike battery. We can extend the cable If you need more than 20cm. Any longer."

So yay on the waterproof cable! And I'm not entry sure what he's saying about the length but I'm going to figure out the length I want and request the waterproof version! He might make a custom auction with a slightly higher price but that's fine and I'm guessing it will be minimal.
    I think what he's saying is that he can provide the cable with waterproof connector like the MagicShine connectors and yes please do specify how long you want the cable wire. Most of my batteries have wire/connectors that vary from 28-34cm. Look at your set-up and decide how much you need.

To be sure something doesn't get lost in the translation process include a picture of the type of ( female ) connector you want. If I buy from him again that is what I will do. Otherwise I'll just buy a good Samsung or Panasonic battery from mtbrevolution ( at a great price ) and get a waterproof sealed battery, extra MS adapter and great battery bag for just a little more money. Of course since I already have a number of battery bags I might try out another HL battery, assuming he can provide MS type connectors...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I think what he's saying is that he can provide the cable with waterproof connector like the MagicShine connectors and yes please do specify how long you want the cable wire. Most of my batteries have wire/connectors that vary from 28-34cm. Look at your set-up and decide how much you need.
    I told him I want a 20-cm weather proof cable and he said there's no extra charge, just order and add a remark stating what I want.

Given that he mentioned 20-cm, I think longer than that might be an upcharge? But I'm not really sure.

I'm starting to think I should have ordered longer than 20 but it's too late. I'm not changing it on him now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I was going to do the same thing Matt but I'm thinking about mounting the battery like Rojoracing53 did and keep and extension cable attached to the bike. With the 20cm off the battery it will be easy to remove to charge. I will also be plasti-dipping the battery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for all the help/advice everyone. I called up Jim from Action-LED-Lights and ordered the XS for the bars and the X2 for the helmet. Getting the batteries from Hunk Lee and he is putting a "waterproof magicshine" type cord/plug on both packs for no extra charge.
    I went with the Panasonic-NCR18650B-7-4V-6800mAh-Protected-Li-ion 4-cell for the X2 and the Panasonic-NCR18650B-7-4V-10200mAh-Protected-Li-ion 6-cell for the XS. That should give me identical run times. Total price for everything was $450.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for all the help/advice everyone. I called up Jim from Action-LED-Lights and ordered the XS for the bars and the X2 for the helmet. Getting the batteries from Hunk Lee and he is putting a "waterproof magicshine" type cord/plug on both packs for no extra charge.
    I went with the Panasonic-NCR18650B-7-4V-6800mAh-Protected-Li-ion 4-cell for the X2 and the Panasonic-NCR18650B-7-4V-10200mAh-Protected-Li-ion 6-cell for the XS. That should give me identical run times. Total price for everything was $450.
    Too funny. I just did the EXACT SAME THING. All of it.

Jim was great. Hunk Lee was great. Can't wait for it all to arrive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Maybe I should have gotten this!
    Luxeon Star LED's, capable of producing a whopping 36 to 40 lumens of light!!
    Luxeon 'DoubleStar'

I love reading stuff from over a decade ago Man I used to do adventure races back then....in the dark...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ordered a XXX but haven't had the chance to use it on the trail yet
    I've played with it though...does that count? lol

What sold me on the XXX.
    •It's bright enough
    •USA Company
    •Quick support from the company
    •quick charge times
    •long run times.
    •simple design