Gloworm X2 vs Light & Motion Seca 2200 race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

New question here. Gloworm X2 vs Light & Motion Seca 2200 race

Which one would be the best between a Gloworm X2 (2017 or 2018) and a Light & Motion Seca 2200 race? I can get them for about the same price.
    The beam pattern seems very nice on the Seca. Is it possible to have such a beam pattern on the X2 using one spot and one wide lens?
    I also think the light tint is warmer on the Seca.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSA rider View Post
    Which one would be the best between a Gloworm X2 (2017 or 2018) and a Light & Motion Seca 2200 race? I can get them for about the same price.
    The beam pattern seems very nice on the Seca. Is it possible to have such a beam pattern on the X2 using one spot and one wide lens?
    I also think the light tint is warmer on the Seca.

Thanks!
    Normally the number one consideration comparing these two lights would be the almost double retail price of the Seca (in the US). Since you've managed to equalize that diference I'm just going to point what I see as advantages of each light starting with the Seca.

L&M Seca 2200 Race: 500 extra lumens (both mfg. usually have accurate claims) with a beam pattern that you like. That's it but beam pattern and reliable output are major considerations for personal satisfaction of a lights performance.

Gloworm X2: Double claimed runtime using max power. Smaller and lighter package (Light + battery). Far superior mounts - mostly for the bar since I see L&M now provides Gopro adapters with their lights. Most important bar mount feature is the centering of the light in front of the stem and ability to place the light head out of harms way in case of a crash. Remote switch allowing mode level changes without removing hands from bars. Adjustability (programmable mode light levels + switchable optics to adjust beam pattern). Can adjust from a super wide flood beam to long reaching spot beam or the combo you mentioned which I would guess would most closely approximate the Seca beam pattern (I own a 2017 X2 and a L&M Taz 1500 but no Seca so this is only a guess).

Both lights company's have excellent customer service. If you purchase from the US distributor (Action-LED-Lights) for a small upcharge they will equip the GW X2 with neutral white emitters). Can't go wrong with either light, just have to decide what advantages/features make it the best fit for you.
    Mole

mtbr member
    MRM, you forgot to mention that the newer X2's will come with "wireless" remote controls. That by itself is a major selling point, particularly if you want to mount the lamp to a helmet. Helmet control without taking your hands off the bars is one sweet option to have.

I wish I could comment on the beam pattern of the Seca's but I've never seen one in person myself. I've only heard others comment that they really like the beam pattern. That said I've been using a Gloworm X2 on the bars for years and have no regrets. With one optic using a medium-spot and the other a spot optic I feel the beam pattern wide enough and still with excellent throw. I did buy one that also is fitted with the NW emitters. Likely the output probably dropped about 100 lumen from what the CW emitters can do but the trade-off to neutral white emitter tint means that the trail surface has less reflective glare, so in the long run you actually end up being able to see trail features better.

When it comes to MTB lights, it's not always about the total output but about how well you can see while using the lamps. Beam pattern ( total width and total throw ) coupled with programmable mode outputs and the right beam tint is where the decisions lie. If you can get remote or wireless remotes those are the icing on the cake.

I did check out the the L&M Seca Race 2500 on the website. If it's a true 2500 lumen on high that might be be quite interesting to see in person but, that said I don't think I'd ever need that much light coming off the bars ( in most situations ). Off the helmet, I can always use more output or added throw. Off the bars, if you have too much light ( in a given situation) it can actually be a detriment.

Also needs to be said that the replacement batteries for the L&M's come at a premium price. Likely the voltage setup and connectors are proprietary. I'd like to know what size/type of cells they are using. Not to mention I'd like to see how these mount on a typical MTB. The L&M website I was looking at didn't show what the lamp would look like mounted on a MTB, nor did they even show the complete mounting system.