Gloworm X2 repair issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Gloworm X2 repair issue

Good evening,
    The cord going into the light seemed to have been tugged hard in a crash and now the light is not turning on. The cord is still in the lamp but there is some play where it goes in. Anyone know the turn around time on getting it repaired in US through a dealer? Is it worth taking it into a local electronics repair shop? I have a 24 hr race coming up in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Anbtucson View Post
    Good evening,
    The cord going into the light seemed to have been tugged hard in a crash and now the light is not turning on. The cord is still in the lamp but there is some play where it goes in. Anyone know the turn around time on getting it repaired in US through a dealer? Is it worth taking it into a local electronics repair shop? I have a 24 hr race coming up in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey

Get hold of Jim at Action LED Lights. He can turn them round pretty fast and has all the spare parts required.

Cheers!
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

Yeah!
    Don't wait for any other answers, that was the only answer.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had a similar issue very recently and I sent it to Jim at Action LED. He performed the repair very quickly (2 day turnaround) the whole process shouldnt take longer than a week.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    That is good to know! Is there any available or plans for a longer wiring harness? Button could use a few more inches..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    That is good to know! Is there any available or plans for a longer wiring harness? Button could use a few more inches..
    I think Jim @ Action-LED-Lights can do that for you. Also the word from Gloworm is that a few months down the road a retro-fit wireless remote for all Gloworm lights will be available.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Just had a convo with Jim yesterday about the wireless Gemini lights, and he said Gloworm should have a retro ready by fall. The remote would control the light via radio signal, and if it is like the Gemini up to 3 lights could be controlled at once. That would be killer for a handlebar/helmet light combo.

Jim said a new harness would be required for the retrofit, along with the remote. I plan on having the retrofit done!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Wireless huh?

I was actually thinking I'd prefer to just have a button on the damn lights themselves. No wires, no bar mounts (one for each bike) , no batteries... just simple-but-works. Am I the only one?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Wireless huh?

I was actually thinking I'd prefer to just have a button on the damn lights themselves. No wires, no bar mounts (one for each bike) , no batteries... just simple-but-works. Am I the only one?
    No wires, no bar mounts, no batteries. You must be talking about one of those new lights that just hover above the bar, points were ever your looking and runs off air. ;-)
    The new CX should arrive today. It has batteries but they're internal. And it does have to mount some were but it has a quick release mount for the bar and helmet. It also doubles as a nice hand held flashlight or a powerbank to charge your Garmin or phone. Switch on the light or via a plugin remote switch.

Gloworm X2 repair issue-_bix6199.jpgGloworm X2 repair issue-_bix6263.jpg
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    No wires, no bar mounts, no batteries. You must be talking about one of those new lights that just hover above the bar, points were ever your looking and runs off air. ;-)
    The new CX should arrive today. It has batteries but they're internal. And it does have to mount some were but it has a quick release mount for the bar and helmet. It also doubles as a nice hand held flashlight or a powerbank to charge your Garmin or phone. Switch on the light or via a plugin remote switch.
    Pretty excited about the wireless option I have to say. How will that work for upgrading existing lights? Any indicator of light level as well on the button?

I think Matto6 meant no batteries in the wireless switch to deal with.....

Action LED Lights
    Existing lights can be upgraded but it will require sending the light in to us.
    The design is not complete but as I understand it there will be a button cell in the remote but it should last at least a year since it only uses power when you press the button. No indicator on the remote button since that would use power all the time for the light and the signal.

The CX has arrived!!!
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Hah, but no. The light still needs a mount and a battery.

I mean the extra junk required for the remote button. I have the X2 and XS and love the lights. But not the remote button. First you need a mount on each bike. And it's one more thing to move when you change bars. And the remote pops off the velcro every once in a while when riding. It's just one more thing to deal with that provides no value for me. I turn on the light and leave it for the ride.

And on the helmet, I the sticky tape didn't hold so I had to glue the velcro on. And I can't feel the button through my thick winter gloves gloves so I'm always pressing all over the place trying to turn on/off the light. If it were on the back of the light itself I'd know right where to press!

And now that someone said "wireless" I assume it will need a battery too. And it'll go dead. And I'll lose it.

Is there an option to get a button installed on the back of the light? It's possible I'm on the minority, but that would make the lights perfect for my usage.

Yeah!
    If you go to Lowe's, you will find some heavy duty Velcro that the buttons will never pull loose from. In fact, you have to pull pretty hard to get them off. The glue on the back of the Velcro is wicked good, doesn't get loose when hot at 104F, and doesn't shrink and pop off at 8F. It's 3M product, probably rated for saltwater use.

I think remote wireless is the way to go. I know many commuters are fine with a button on the light, but a remote is a must for riding the trail.

As a commuter, I would not want a button on the light. Being able to change brightness in a heartbeat when a car pulls onto the street is a must. Blinding drivers is not good business for cyclists. Having a remote than can be stuck to the bars, a helmet, or the light is a good compromise for everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post

I mean the extra junk required for the remote button. I have the X2 and XS and love the lights. But not the remote button. First you need a mount on each bike. And it's one more thing to move when you change bars. And the remote pops off the velcro every once in a while when riding. It's just one more thing to deal with that provides no value for me. I turn on the light and leave it for the ride.

Can't help you with the helmet issue but this will make the remote easier to use on the bars. It's a Magicshine light-head mount (Action sell them cheap). Makes the button more stable too.

Gloworm X2 repair issue-004.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1044797[/ATTA]
    Mole
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gloworm X2 repair issue-006.jpg  

RAKC
    Those remote buttons are the same as the things I buy off eBay (ptt remote buttons) that I adapter to lights I have. Im surprised you have issues on the helmet. I never have a single problem regardless of gloves im using finding and pressing the remote button. But I have it down low on the right side using good adhesive Velcro. On the bars, I can see those mounts being an issue for holding the switch but mr. Mole has the right idea to make the switch more stable. Not sure I understand the other complaints of "changing it when changing the bars" and all that. Guess I dont understand repeatedly changing handlebars around.

But easy fix, stick a piece of adhesive Velcro to the back of the light and stick the switch to it. Ya you'll have the extra wire but its a fix for the lights you already have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I love the lights and would buy them again in a second.

I just would prefer a simple and elegant design over extra wires and mounts and stuff.

And I do ride trail btw, but it's usually in winter and there's no one else out there. No reason to be dimming lights in situations where I can't take my hands off the bar.

Yeah!
    It's not dimming that most of us need while riding the trail at night. Running the XS at full output on the trail can blow out your vision when your in thick brush, so you set a pleasant level, but then you make that turn and BLAM! right into a rock garden. Good Lord, where the hell is the footbreaker...