Gloworm X2 2018 Review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Gloworm X2 2018 Review

I posted a shorter initial review in another thread after just receiving my lights, but I figured I'd do a more detailed review on my own so I don't threadjack theirs. I typically ride a couple times a week at night during the darker months, weather permitting. So I'll keep posting back now and then as I spend more time using the lights. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Here's where I bought the lights: Gloworm 2018 X2 on Action-Led-Lights.com
    And here's a link to the full image album: https://imgur.com/a/UNpJB

I've been night riding for about 6 years now, starting with the first generation of the Magicshine 900 lumen. MTB lights sure have come a long way since then, but it was nice to see a light that was really bright that didn't cost $400. My latest setup is an Ituo XP2 on the helmet and a Gemini Duo 1300 on the bars. Both great lights, but leaving a little bit to be desired. The Ituo has a pretty bright spot and an annoying sequence to turn it off. And the Gemini is starting to show it's age...I've had it for about 3 years now. And what really got me about the Gloworm was the upgrade in light output (1700 actual lumens) and the wireless remote (including the ability to control more than one light). I figured why not be the guinea pig this time around and have some fun trying out new lights.

So here's my initial review:
    I ordered the X2 kit with 5800mah 4-cell, and then another X2 light head only. I already have quite a few spare batteries that I'll pair with the extra light head. At first look, I'm very impressed with the X2: fully featured kit, solid feel to the light and battery, two different mounting options for the light head (side and bottom), and lots of extras in the box. It comes with a side mount (for the bars), plus a GoPro style helmet mount, and the screws/plate necessary for attaching the GoPro mount to the light head. Also included are a couple of velcro bands, a pack of zip ties, two hex wrenches, the wireless remote, two spare optics (spot and diffused), and of course the battery. It even comes with a nice case for storing the battery and light. Each of the light heads came with one spot and one diffused optic.

Pairing the lights with the wireless remote was simple: plug the light into the battery, hold down the button on the remote you want to pair. The light flashes which indicates it has been paired, and now you can use the light via the remote. Repeat with the other light on the same button, or a different one. I chose to have my helmet light controlled by the top button and the bar light controlled by the bottom button. That way I can adjust the brightness independently for each light. I think it's going to be a great setup, and I can't wait to try it out on the trail.

Speaking of trying it out, I did go for a quick spin around the neighborhood and WOW are these lights bright. The one on the bars throws so much light on the high setting it's actually too much! I think 60-75% power on the bars is plenty. I even swapped out one of the spot optics to run both diffused and it's still a ton of light...just now a little better spread and more evenly lit. That power is really great up on the helmet though; great throw and spread. It reminds me of the Gemini Duo beam pattern but brighter. It throws light just as far as the Ituo XP2 but has better spread and no noticeable spot.

The only negative I'd say at this point is the helmet mount. It's the only part that I feel isn't quite up to par compared to most lights I've used. The plastic base is fairly small, and comes with just zip ties to attach to your helmet. If you have velcro straps, you could use those...but the kit only comes with one strap that will fit. Would love to see two of the thinner straps that would fit the mount. But even with those straps, the plastic base is too small to support the light well, at least on my helmet. I'd like to see a wider mount with included velcro straps, something like the Ituo XP2 mount. It's the most stable and easy to set up that I've ever used. But all in all, it's an OK mount and you can purchase other mounts for <$15.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    And now for some pictures:

The complete package:

The light head and battery come in a nice case:

Some of the accessories (bar clamp only fits up to 31.8mm though):

Spare optics included (oddly enough, one kit came with a frosted and clear. The other came with a clear and wide angle):

Mounted on the helmet:

Remote and light on the bars:

mtbr member
    Here's a comparison to the Gemini Duo. The X2 is bigger and heavier, but still quite a small light.