Gloworm Wireless Remote- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Gloworm Wireless Remote - What do you want?

Voters
16. This poll is closed
  • One button control

9 56.25%
  • Two button control

7 43.75%
  • Control many lights simultaneously

10 62.50%
  • Control 2 lights independently

4 25.00%
  • Bar mount

14 87.50%
  • Wrist/Other mount options (non bike activities)

3 18.75%
  • Integrated to brake clamp

0 0%
  • Velcro strap mounted

3 18.75%
  • Mechanically mounted

3 18.75%
  • Dual lock mounted

3 18.75%
  • Cable tie mounted

2 12.50%
  • Scroll up and down modes

7 43.75%
  • Range of control up to 15ft

13 81.25%
  • Range of control in excess of 15ft

0 0%
  • Plastic/Rubber construction

7 43.75%
  • Aluminum/Rubber construction

3 18.75%
  • Replaceable batteries

7 43.75%
  • Rechargeable batteries

3 18.75%
  • LED indication on remote when paired with light

8 50.00%
  • All light functions controllable by remote

7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Gloworm Lights

Gloworm Wireless Remote

Hey All

Just in the throws of designing the wireless remote for our lights and wanted to get some input from some of our most important customers.

I have my thoughts about what best suits me but from experience that is sometimes not the most favoured option.

So we have a few options, please select any of the options you would like to see. This could be one or many. The if you feel the need you can amplify your selection in the comments.

Feel free to provide a one word comment or even an exploratory answer. I cannot make any promises that the final product will be exactly as you want but it will be a good compromise based on popular opinion.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

RAKC
    Can control more than one light with the same remote and the lights stay synced no problem.

Kit available to update previous light versions.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Easily movable between multiple bikes but no zip-ties or Velcro. Use band mount similar to this but integrated with switch.

Gloworm Wireless Remote-006-2-.jpg

Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    A good mounting system that can easily be moved between bikes.

RAKC
    I should take a pic of the Gemini remote, it's exactly what I want for a mounting system. Band mount like Moles pic but rest is one solid, molded piece with a screw on cover to access batteries.

mtbr member
    My thoughts on a model for "wireless remote". The Gemini model for a wireless remote is a good place to start. Gemini's have two buttons though. I'm not sure I'd like two buttons. On the Gemini's the second button is just for momentary high. That might work for people who ride the road but for mountain biking I think one button should do it. I don't want to worry about hitting the wrong button while juking over rough terrain.

Like the Gemini's, I don't want the remote to be able to control the programming features, just the on/off and modes. This means of course that the lamp will need a base switch set into the lamp head for programming and menu choice ( assuming typical GW user interface )

About the battery source...hmmm...USB rechargeable would be interesting but not if it makes the remote itself bigger than it has to be. Standard coin cells seem to be what most are using.

About the remote being able to sync with one or more lamps: I think it should be able to operate/control with one or more lamps, depending on the users wish. The Gemini's can be duel synced to control more than one lamp with a single remote. I like that idea even though I currently use separate remotes for my lamps.

The mounting options: Once again l like the Gemini model with rubber O-rings. Still it would be nice to have two options. A Velcro style mount might work where an O-ring mount won't...assuming we are talking about bar mount options. How versatile a remote mount can be all depends on what you have on your handlebars that might be in the way. When it comes to remote mounts, there is no perfect solution that is going to work on every bike ( that will please everyone ).

Gloworm Lights
    Cheers Cat

We can always rely on you for your honest opinion.

I like the idea of restricting the programming function to the light based button, keeping it simple!

Also with two buttons one could have the choice of controlling two lights independently of each or simultaneously.

But once again, simple nearly always trumps options.

We'll close off the poll this Friday and see what we have before completing the design.

The circuitry is already completed - now for the finer details!

Cheers as always.

Bruce and Vag

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    My thoughts on a model for "wireless remote". The Gemini model for a wireless remote is a good place to start. Gemini's have two buttons though. I'm not sure I'd like two buttons. On the Gemini's the second button is just for momentary high. That might work for people who ride the road but for mountain biking I think one button should do it. I don't want to worry about hitting the wrong button while juking over rough terrain.

Like the Gemini's, I don't want the remote to be able to control the programming features, just the on/off and modes. This means of course that the lamp will need a base switch set into the lamp head for programming and menu choice ( assuming typical GW user interface )

About the battery source...hmmm...USB rechargeable would be interesting but not if it makes the remote itself bigger than it has to be. Standard coin cells seem to be what most are using.

About the remote being able to sync with one or more lamps: I think it should be able to operate/control with one or more lamps, depending on the users wish. The Gemini's can be duel synced to control more than one lamp with a single remote. I like that idea even though I currently use separate remotes for my lamps.

The mounting options: Once again l like the Gemini model with rubber O-rings. Still it would be nice to have two options. A Velcro style mount can work where an O-ring mount won't...assuming we are talking about bar mount options. How versatile a remote mount can be all depends on what you have on your handlebars that might be in the way. When it comes to remote mounts, there is no perfect solution that is going to work on every bike ( that will please everyone ).

smartass
    I agree with Cat-man-do's comments. Simple is good.

* edit to add: I want the wireless remote in place of, not in addition to, the wired remote. And I don't need access to the complicated programming on the trail, I want something that prevents it.

RAKC
    Thanks for mentioning the programming. I forgot to mention that. It's the one thing that drives me nuts using gloworm lights.

Way to easy to access programming mode while riding. That needs to go like Cat said. It's a huge frustration when you try to cycle modes and end up in programming mode.

And flash button definitely isn't needed, single button is more than enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Thanks for mentioning the programming. I forgot to mention that. It's the one thing that drives me nuts using gloworm lights.

Way to easy to access programming mode while riding.
    I agree. Having to stop and reset the light when I accidently enter the programming mode is annoying.

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    "Integrated to brake clamp" - I would like to see a picture of this

Gloworm Lights
    Hey Guys

Keep it coming - the feedback is awesome.

We were going to make programming accessible from the remote, but after this feedback and some thought, its definitely off the table.

The X2, XS and new light (optional add on) will all feature wireless remote capability and a button on the light itself. So making programming only available from the 'master' button will work a treat.

Also, we're definitely doing away with the wired remote for these models.

Cheers!

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey Guys

Keep it coming - the feedback is awesome.

We were going to make programming accessible from the remote, but after this feedback and some thought, its definitely off the table.

The X2, XS and new light (optional add on) will all feature wireless remote capability and a button on the light itself. So making programming only available from the 'master' button will work a treat.

Also, we're definitely doing away with the wired remote for these models.

Cheers!

Bruce and Vag
    So I guess this means no retrofit to the older models?
    Mole

Gloworm Lights
    You read between the lines.......Unfortunately you are correct. It will not be backward compatible.

We looked at various options but they were bulky and not as professional as we wanted.

This solution is seamless and involves less solder joints, additionally everything will be housed internally with only a 2 core power cable going between battery and light.

mtbr member
    You read between the lines.......Unfortunately you are correct. It will not be backward compatible.
    That's OK, thanks for considering making this retro-fitable but too bad it didn't work out. Would rather have the availability of a new better performing product. That's what you guys are all about, consistently improving your lights so we know when we buy one it will be the latest/greatest tech. available.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I like where y'all are going with the new lights. Optional light is a tail light? Suxx no retrofit!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'll pipe in. I ride regularly off-road at night. I use three lights. - two on my bar and one on my helmet. My dream would be a remote that cycles all three off, high, and low. That's it.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

RAKC
    I don't foresee the need for dual lights on the bars with gloworm though. Need that much light, use an XS (or if they release something bigger). But as I have tested for others so far, the wireless system will bind as many lights as you want together. They bind to any lights meant to work with them. I could bind 10 lights to one remote if I wanted.

To Gloworm: A retrofit is possible!

If the main light body is the same, only difference in the on light button (guessing in the rear of the light) then the driver/remote assembly, battery cable, remote, and rear light housing plate could be replaced. Not that I see it as much of a price savings over buying a light head only, but could still be very possible.

smartass
    ... making programming only available from the 'master' button will work a treat.
    That's exactly what I had in mind. Awesome.

... new light (optional add on)...
    What's the new light?

Gloworm Lights
    Hey Tigris - you are correct, by changing out the driver and adding a remote assembly plus the changing of the backplate to accommodate a switch. Yes, it can be done but at what cost.

Also the cable would need to be changed.

Cost would be roughly half that of a new light head.

Gloworm Lights
    The new light......well I cannot say much yet but I can say it will be up-gradable to Wireless Remote capability, it will use a 2 cell battery and the latest XPG LEDs.

I'll leave it at that......

Yeah!
    I'll echo the need to stay out of programming modes. On, off, and brightness is all we need. Maybe enable the buttons for easier control while in programming mode, but cannot get into or out of programming mode with the remote.

I voted for two buttons because I'd like to be able to cycle up and down through more brightness presets than two.

I'd also like four presets. The ten preset mode is novel, but too cumbersome when the environment changes a lot and you are trying to conserve battery on longer rides. Better yet, as ten brightness levels are already programmed, enable the selection of which of the ten presets are available in BOTH modes. Or enable the selection of the number of available presets and permit brightness programming like we currently use.

Coin cells are pricey for what you get. I'll take most any other battery. Prefer usb rechargeable, and enough juice for a low glow from the switch for a location aid, in red. Don't kill cockpit vision, and don't require battery swaps every week or so.

I think a three position momentary switch would be ideal. The current buttons have a combination of small size and flush surface that don't prevent use, but do make use more difficult when the cold weather sets in. I'm thinking a taller lever, like with a toggle, would be easy to control by pushing towards and away from the stem with the thumb. If the mount can adapt to sit on top of the lever clamps... awesome.

I feel it's time to up the output, or bring out a four LED model. Who's in for a 3000lm Gloworm?
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    The new light......well I cannot say much yet but I can say it will be up-gradable to Wireless Remote capability, it will use a 2 cell battery and the latest XPG LEDs.

I'll leave it at that......
    Okay, I won't ask about the new light.........( 5 sec. ).......( adjusts tie )...... ( coughs a couple times )......( fingers tap keyboard without pushing )......Ah, if only this were the old days. Deep-throat, where are you when we need you.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Gloworm Manufacture: Do you have a guesstimated ETA on the new wireless systems for the X2 and XS. Im looking to replace my current helmet and bar lights?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Still waiting