Gloworm strain relief?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Gloworm strain relief?

How stong is the strain relief on the gloworm lights? Can you yank on it without harm?

RAKC
    Depends on what you mean by yank on them? No light is going to deal with being pulled on with too much force. And intentionally yanking on them (like pulling on the light to disconnect the battery) no matter the light is eventually going to destroy the wire.

That said, were not talking cheap Chinese lights that take little effort to rip the wires out. Gloworm like any decent lights will handle a bit without taking damage.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by lighty View Post
    How stong is the strain relief on the gloworm lights? Can you yank on it without harm?
    The strain relief is a gland that tightens around the cable. This also create a waterproof seal.

As mentioned if yanked really hard you will be able to pull it out, but if you keep an eye on the gland an ensure it remains tight you should have no issues.

Cheers!

Bruce ad Vag
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    It was always a weak spot on wired lights. I know some headphones actually have a steel cable in them to prevent this issue. But it isn't just a seal with a wire in it?

RAKC
    A wire hanging off of anything has been a "weak point" if it's not an appliance that sits in one place. I have had to replace/repair plug wires for high end power tools.

But IMHO, you way over thinking something that doesn't matter on quality lights. It's something companies like gloworm know, understand, and use one of the best methods there is. Maybe the best.

I haven't even managed to rip a wire out of a cheap light with practically no strain relief.

And the "steel cable" thing is because they needed to protect headphone wires because their so tiny. They fatigue and break extremely easy.

Doesn't matter the light you buy, if your worried about that (which I can't even find a reason to justify unless you have a habit of crashing that involves tumbling down a hill through thick brush) just go with self contained units.

Ituo and gloworm both make awesome self contained lights that perform just as good as lights with packs except less run time per charge. They run on 2 cells vs a 4 cell pack. Not a good plan for a helmet light (due to weight which may not bother you) but beyond that you can't go wrong that way either.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Both my Gloworm X2 battery strain reliefs failed on my lights I ended up having to use silicone glue and tape to fix it. To be fair though. my lights were the very early 1st and 2nd versions and I believe they may have made changes since then to make it more secure. I don't yank the wires to unplug, I grab the plug ends like you are supposed to. The plug (Gland) where the wire enters the battery case both worked their way out and seemed loose fitting.