Gloworm lights for combo road and trail use- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Gloworm lights for combo road and trail use

Considering a multi use light system for road riding and trail use. Considering the Gloworm brand.
    Bars- XSV or XS
    Helmet-X2 or alpha

1) Does Gloworm have a cut off beam optic available to help not blind oncoming traffic?
    2) Any examples of the daytime flash pattern? (Not found in videos on YT)
    3) I like a wider beam on the bars.(Like O.B. Road edition or Magic Monteer 6500, Gemini Titan 4000). Will the ww optics of gloworm give a similar look?

I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations you might have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hi, as far as I know there are no cut-off optics available, best match might be wide. Probably you have seen this: https://www.glowormlites.co.nz/produ...cs-all-lights/.
    My personal experience: the more light, the better. Especially if you widen the beam pattern. So I would go definitly with the X2 for the helmet. If you prefer the Alpha I would go with plus due to longer runtime.
    XSV uses xhp35.2 led and should be a little more efficient at maximum power and produce less heat than the XS. But I have no personal experience with these lights, just some theroretical thoughts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail1416 View Post
    1) Does Gloworm have a cut off beam optic available to help not blind oncoming traffic?
    3) I like a wider beam on the bars.[...] Will the ww optics of gloworm give a similar look?
    [...]
    Q 1: as said before, no cut-off optics available. maybe a wide optic will do the best, but it will be still blinding. Maybe consider buying a cheap but mostly glarefree Lumintop B01 (banggood, aliexpress) and reduce the output of your gloworms to the lowest possible when you encounter oncoming traffic.

Q3: A wide or a flood will do the job, the question is just how many optics you have to replace

I suspect MRMOLE to have played with all types of GW optics, so let's wait for his input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thank you both for your replies!

A bit about my background. I just purchased my first hardtail Mtn Bike and these will be my first lights. I currently live in the midwest but plan on spending time in the mountain west of the United States. This winter I'll spend some time road riding in my town to help keep in shape.

I first saw the Bontrager Flare RT tail lamp and the 200 RT front light and they seem very appealing for daytime road cycling. Nice and bright tail lamp and nice non annoying cadence on flash of headlamp.

I then started watching all types of YT videos of other brands and the options just opened up.

Somehow the flexibility of the Gloworm just appealed to me with the multiple optics available,the power, and wireless remote. Was hoping the system could work as a combo road and trail use.

Feel free to chime in with your own experiences.
    Last edited by hardtail1416; 11-03-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add. info.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I sold one of my old bar lights to a buddy who exclusively road rides. I added a "hood" over the top of the light extending a bit more than an inch from the face of the optic. That limited the amount of light going up and made it a better road light. It was permanently attached, but possibly a removable hood for your lights for road use would work.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 11-03-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail1416 View Post
    Considering a multi use light system for road riding and trail use. Considering the Gloworm brand.
    Bars- XSV or XS
    Helmet-X2 or alpha

2) Any examples of the daytime flash pattern? (Not found in videos on YT)
    3) I like a wider beam on the bars.(Like O.B. Road edition or Magic Monteer 6500, Gemini Titan 4000). Will the ww optics of gloworm give a similar look?

I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations you might have.
    No true cut-off beam options with Gloworm. Staying with that brand the best road friendly beam will be with the Alpha/CX and the W/W optic. The X2/XS with the individual wide angle optics has a different beam pattern with more top spill. Using 3 of the wide angle optics in an XS will give you a nice wide beam but IMO not quite as wide as the Outbound road, potentially about equal to the Gemini 4000 (same emitters and compatible optics so beam width should be no wider than the difference in lighthead width). I'm not familiar with the MS light or the XSV. XSV is supposed to have a wider beam than the XS with similar optics (not interchangeable) but that means it's probably wider vertically too which would give the XSV the most top spill and make it the least road friendly of the GW lights. A couple of other things that might be important to you is the Alpha has no remote option and all Gloworm lights have an alternate "road" program with only 2 adjustable presets so hi/low which is great for dimming your light for oncoming traffic.

A bit about my background. I just purchased my first hardtail Mtn Bike and these will be my first lights. I currently live in the midwest but plan on spending time in the mountain west of the United States. This winter I'll spend some time road riding in my town to help keep in shape.
    Somehow the flexibility of the Gloworm just appealed to me with the multiple optics available,the power, and wireless remote. Was hoping the system could work as a combo road and trail use.
    Having the option of switching optics to adjust you beam pattern is great but I think it's a PITA if you plan on doing it all the time. Leaving your off-road lights set up for trail use and having another light or lighthead (Alpha with W/W optics and using the battery from one of your off-road lights?) as was already suggested is definitely worth thinking about. If you don't like that flashlight setup I saw a Ravemen PR900 on ebay for $56 recently. True cut-off and 900 lumens should be enough for most road riding (unless you regularly ride in heavy rush hour traffic). Hope this helps!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    No true cut-off beam options with Gloworm. Staying with that brand the best road friendly beam will be with the Alpha/CX and the W/W optic. The X2/XS with the individual wide angle optics has a different beam pattern with more top spill. Using 3 of the wide angle optics in an XS will give you a nice wide beam but IMO not quite as wide as the Outbound road, potentially about equal to the Gemini 4000 (same emitters and compatible optics so beam width should be no wider than the difference in lighthead width). I'm not familiar with the MS light or the XSV. XSV is supposed to have a wider beam than the XS with similar optics (not interchangeable) but that means it's probably wider vertically too which would give the XSV the most top spill and make it the least road friendly of the GW lights. A couple of other things that might be important to you is the Alpha has no remote option and all Gloworm lights have an alternate "road" program with only 2 adjustable presets so hi/low which is great for dimming your light for oncoming traffic.

Having the option of switching optics to adjust you beam pattern is great but I think it's a PITA if you plan on doing all the time. Leaving your off-road lights set up for trail use and having another light or lighthead (Alpha with W/W optics and using the battery from one of your off-road lights?) as was already suggested is definitely worth thinking about. If you don't like that flashlight setup I saw a Ravemen PR900 on ebay for $56 recently. True cut-off and 900 lumens should be enough for most road riding (unless you regularly ride in heavy rush hour traffic). Hope this helps!
    Mole
    I am using the XSV on the bar and the XS with spot lenses on the helmet. I am riding mostly country and back roads - some with quite some traffic. From my experience I need every lumen and also the spill - cars do see me coming - even around corners and I do get attention and some respect and great comments. Might be overkill in the city but the more the better. Helps me also to spot dears and other animals before they become a problem. I also use the Dinotte daytime red light - works also great at night and cars slow down. Probably the best rear light on the market.

The XSV is a great light - standard optic comes with a great spill - definitely more powerful than the XS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juergenor View Post
    I am using the XSV on the bar and the XS with spot lenses on the helmet. I am riding mostly country and back roads - some with quite some traffic. From my experience I need every lumen and also the spill - cars do see me coming - even around corners and I do get attention and some respect and great comments. Might be overkill in the city but the more the better. Helps me also to spot dears and other animals before they become a problem. I also use the Dinotte daytime red light - works also great at night and cars slow down. Probably the best rear light on the market.

The XSV is a great light - standard optic comes with a great spill - definitely more powerful than the XS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the input on the XSV. I can understand how that would be a great setup for spotting animals in rural areas. Hope your dimming your lights for oncoming traffic!
    Mole