Gloworm Lights back on MTBR- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gloworm Lights

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR

Well it's been a while but we're back! Back on the forum that is

We've been concentrating on fine tuning our products and making plans for new and improved products - with your help of course.

We managed to meet a few of you face to face at Interbike, which was certainly valuable, as you let us know what you really wanted to see from your products.

So to start off I thought we better let you know of a couple of upgrades that have already occurred and what we're looking at for the near future.

New Carbon reinforced Nylon QR Bar Mount This was fashioned around the same design as our CNC version but with modifications made to suit the material we are using. The Carbon Nylon mix is super strong and is much sturdier than the outdated 'o-ring' style mount. These are now standard on our X1, X2 and soon to be released CX (Self Contained) lights.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102952.jpg

QR Helmet Mount with CNC Arm This is the 2nd version of our QR helmet mount. Still made to be used with GoPro, it now features a different bolt and arm system, providing a rock solid interface with the mount.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-12144962_1043860785638616_4096981773784626627_n.jpg

Battery Fuel Gauge We admit there were some accuracy issues with the previous indicator. It was just that - an indication. Our new gauge features similar tech to a cell phone in regards to power indication. Its very accurate and not so bright.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102702_001.jpg

X2 Housing We decided to give the old faithful X2 a bit of touch up with some aggressive machining to the fin area. We think it looks great and really matches up with the XS.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102234.jpg

Wide Angle Optic for XS and X2 The new optic that is included in all XS and X2 sets throws a wide rectangular beam of even light. Combined with a spot optic it creates a unique yet very usable light pattern.

Name:  X2-XS_lens_small_large.jpg
Views: 6141
Size:  16.0 KB

Well I think that's about it for now. So remember if you have any questions about your products or simply want to know more let us know.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Gloworm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102952.jpg  

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102702_001.jpg  

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-20151106_102234.jpg  

Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Will the new QR fit a 35mm bar? Really in need of one that will as I seem to be rather proficient at losing the rubber bands, which are unfortunately the only way to mount the XS to my bar currently.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Can you add an adapter to allow O-ring mount ?

some of us like the o-ring mounting, it holds the light just fine and allows
    quick tilt when hitting road segments between trails so we don't blind cagers
    on the short connector trips. hate to stop just to adjust a light, o-rings work fine
    when the light is centered [drops don't make mine droop ]

anyhow good work on the improvements
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 11-06-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Gloworm Lights
    We have developed the 35mm version and this will be available soon. We worked on releaseing the 31.8 first as it is now standard with our lights. Moving away from the o-ring style mount.

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Can you add an adapter to allow O-ring mount ?

some of us like the o-ring mounting, it holds the light just fine and allows
    quick tilt when hitting road segments between trails so we don't blind cagers
    on the short connector trips. hate to stop just to adjust a light, o-rings work fine
    when the light is centered [drops don't make mine droop ]

anyhow good work on the improvements
    The QR will not have an adapter for o-rings, however noting your point above, Gloworm lights can be pivoted easily at the light head with need for rotating the mount itself.

Cheers!

Ride More - Suffer Less
    any updates on the availability of 35mm mount?

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    any updates on the availability of 35mm mount?
    We just had the first product from the injection mold and it looks great. You'll be seeing it very soon.

Action LED Lights

Neutral White X1's

We ordered a limited number of 2016 X1's with a Neutral White led so it is now an option in the listing 2016 Gloworm X1. The price of the upgrade for a new 2016 X2 or XS has been reduced to $15 for the X2 and $20 for the XS.

35mm mounts are ready but the factory forgot to pack them with the order we received Monday so it will be a couple of more weeks before we have them listed.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    We ordered a limited number of 2016 X1's with a Neutral White led so it is now an option in the listing 2016 Gloworm X1. The price of the upgrade for a new 2016 X2 or XS has been reduced to $15 for the X2 and $20 for the XS.

35mm mounts are ready but the factory forgot to pack them with the order we received Monday so it will be a couple of more weeks before we have them listed.
    Yeah that was a bit of an error! They'll be on there way soon.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the new QR handlebar mount and it is pretty sweet! Much much much better than the O-ring mount by far.

Now send me some of the that wireless tech you are working on please!

mtbr member
    I'll second that...( ^^^ )....waiting on the wireless remote upgrades. That said I can't help but wonder how wireless remotes are going to work in a race or group ride environment. It would be real screwy if you had a lamp going and suddenly the lamp changed modes because someone else with a remote changed theirs and you just happened to be within range of their remote. Hopefully there is a dedicated process where the lamp "Must" be in a certain ( press/hold ) mode before an outside remote can sync to another lamp head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I recently got the new aluminum arm version of the QR helmet mount for my Gloworm X2. I think it'll hold up much better than the plastic one.

Jim at Action LED is still offering some of the best customer service you could hope to find. Very happy that I bought through him.

Action LED Lights
    I've decided to include the new aluminum helmet mount with all the remaining 2015 lights.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Action LED Lights
    The new 35mm quick release handlebar mount has arrived.
    Gloworm Composite Quick Release Handlebar Mount ? Action-LED-Lights
    Also, the X1 is now available in Neutral White.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Battery Fuel Gauge We admit there were some accuracy issues with the previous indicator. It was just that - an indication. Our new gauge features similar tech to a cell phone in regards to power indication. Its very accurate and not so bright.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151106_102702_001.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1026779
    This may sound dumb but I'm not sure how to read the fuel gauge. It shows 0-50 on top and 50-100 on the bottom. I understand that the more lit LED's means greater percentage of charge remaining. How do I know if the lit LED's represent 0-50 or 50-100? Thanks in advance!

PS - Just bought an X2 with the 4 cell HC 50 Wh battery. Sweet light setup! Used it for the 1st time last night and was truly impressed! Love how easy it is to switch between modes with the remote.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    This may sound dumb but I'm not sure how to read the fuel gauge. It shows 0-50 on top and 50-100 on the bottom. I understand that the more lit LED's means greater percentage of charge remaining. How do I know if the lit LED's represent 0-50 or 50-100? Thanks in advance!

PS - Just bought an X2 with the 4 cell HC 50 Wh battery. Sweet light setup! Used it for the 1st time last night and was truly impressed! Love how easy it is to switch between modes with the remote.
    There is a good reason for some to be confused. Gloworm switched vendors for the sticker that goes over the fuel gauge and missed the fact that they printed the numbers backwards.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-stickers.jpeg

The one on the right is the new (backwards) one.
    The way the gauge functions there are 2 rows of leds. The top row is green. The bottom row has one green, two amber and 2 red.
    During discharge it will start with 5 green lights for 100%. It will then drop to 4 for 90%, 3 for 80% etc. At 50% it will drop to the bottom row with all 5 lit. They will then drop off one at a time. At 10% the last red light will flash.
    The gauge measures the voltage coming out of the pack. If your running an XS at 100% power the voltage will be pulled down and give you a low reading. If you switch to a lower setting you may see the fuel gauge go up a notch or two.
    During charge the gauge is animated. The led indicating the charge level stays lit and the ones below it light and go out in sequence. It starts with the 0 - 50% row and then goes to the 50 - 100% row.
    Hope that makes things clear.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    The way the gauge functions there are 2 rows of leds. The top row is green. The bottom row has one green, two amber and 2 red.
    During discharge it will start with 5 green lights for 100%. It will then drop to 4 for 90%, 3 for 80% etc. At 50% it will drop to the bottom row with all 5 lit. They will then drop off one at a time. At 10% the last red light will flash.
    The gauge measures the voltage coming out of the pack. If your running an XS at 100% power the voltage will be pulled down and give you a low reading. If you switch to a lower setting you may see the fuel gauge go up a notch or two.
    During charge the gauge is animated. The led indicating the charge level stays lit and the ones below it light and go out in sequence. It starts with the 0 - 50% row and then goes to the 50 - 100% row.
    Hope that makes things clear.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. So on my ride last night, I ended up with 2 green LED's, which means I was still at 70%?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. So on my ride last night, I ended up with 2 green LED's, which means I was still at 70%?
    Correct.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Action, ya got any teaser info/pics of the new gloworm xs? Thx Jim!

Gloworm Lights

Wireless Remote Update

Hey All

Sorry for the silence from our end, things have been super busy as we have been assessing the direction of the bicycle lighting industry and the progress the electronic tech.

We've also been looking at our current products and what small improvements need to be made to make them even better.

With all this going on, our small team has been pushed to its limits and as such we have not been able to make the progress we wished to on the wireless remote. Although this is a very important part of our development it is not the only thing we have been developing recently.

Subsequently, we are giving this a little more time and planning a launch at the start of the next season in August 2017. Not only does this ensure our products are up to standard, it also allow us to consolidate our upgrade/changes/improvements into one launch.

Sorry to the be the bearer of not so good news, but believe us when we say the outcome will be worth the wait.

As always feel free to ask any questions you may have.......

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    I noticed the Gloworm XS light's lumen rating has been increased from 2200 to 2500. Any particular reason for the increased lumens from this light?
    Mole

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I noticed the Gloworm XS light's lumen rating has been increased from 2200 to 2500. Any particular reason for the increased lumens from this light?
    Mole
    @MRMOLE - thanks for the question. THe XS has always been about 2300 lumens measured. This was using the XML2 U2 LEDs. We upgraded our systems to U3 LEDs and also bumped up the current by a small amount. This current change did not have a significant affect on the actual run time.

Cheers

mtbr member
    People who buy top of the line lights like the XS do care about little upgrades like this. Extra lumens are great but along with lumens the latest emitters are more efficient and longer runtimes @ a given output plus a cooler running light are also a benefit. Thanks for the information and keeping your products current!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Got a email from Action-LED-Lights showing some IMO important upgrades to the 2017 Gloworm line. Nice improvements!
    Mole

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g1.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g2.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g3.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g4.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-g5.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .... Nice improvements!
    I agree. I can see a heatsink version of my GoPro adapter for GloWorm in the future.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I agree. I can see a heatsink version of my GoPro adapter for GloWorm in the future.
    That will be a huge improvement for me living in the southwest desert. These lights activate their thermal protection far more than most people realize, it's just harder to detect because of the gradual step down. The main reason I got my XS was because the X2 wasn't bright enough in the warmer months here. New remote button also has the potential to be a big improvement as the old one had little "feel" when used with gloves. So good job Gloworm!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Hey All

Sorry for the silence from our end, things have been super busy as we have been assessing the direction of the bicycle lighting industry and the progress the electronic tech.

We've also been looking at our current products and what small improvements need to be made to make them even better.

With all this going on, our small team has been pushed to its limits and as such we have not been able to make the progress we wished to on the wireless remote. Although this is a very important part of our development it is not the only thing we have been developing recently.

Subsequently, we are giving this a little more time and planning a launch at the start of the next season in August 2017. Not only does this ensure our products are up to standard, it also allow us to consolidate our upgrade/changes/improvements into one launch.

Sorry to the be the bearer of not so good news, but believe us when we say the outcome will be worth the wait.

Bruce and Vag
    Well, I'm a bit disappointed to read that, "No Wireless remote" is going to be offered this year. Okay, I guess that gets put on a back burner but what is even more disappointing is the fact that nothing is going to be done about the "accidental entering into programming mode" issue. I like the new ( physical ) changes to the lamp and the upgrades to the emitter and such but without the issue of , "inadvertent programming mode activation" being addressed", I'm afraid I have to pass on a newer upgraded version until that issue is addressed. To me, function of the UI is of highest priority. I've got to be able to "rapid-fire" the remote without worry or it just isn't going to be worth it to change my current set-up.

I also see no mention of a NW version ( U3 ) being offered on the newer lights. Are the newer (2017 ) versions all cool white? Is NW going to be offered in an XM-L2 U3?

mtbr member
    Continued from last post:

Sorry, I missed the fact that the quoted, "next season" was not the "next year" as I was thinking when I last posted. I wish the wireless stuff was coming out now and not in August. I'm figuring "Wireless" means a whole new series of electronics. I sincerely hope this means the problem with "inadvertent activation of the programming mode" of the user interface gets addressed once all the changes are made. I've always loved my Gloworm lamps. If the UI once again becomes as "flawless" as the earlier editions, I can see a new XS ( with wireless remote ) sitting on top of my helmet by September of this year. ( provided they offer a choice using neutral white emitters ).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That will be a huge improvement for me living in the southwest desert. These lights activate their thermal protection far more than most people realize, it's just harder to detect because of the gradual step down.
    I just need someone to buy one and send it to me for measuring/test fitting.

BTW, 35mm swivel mounts should be running in the CNC middle of next week if all goes as planned.

mtbr member
    Can someone from GW tell me when the new Gopro mount and adapters are going to be available. (?) This mount looks promising even if not used with a GW lamp.

I'm a bit worried about the design though. The photo shows the GP piece "locking" into the side of the bar mount. With the back of the Gopro piece being "squared off" I'm a bit worried if there is a limitation on how far the lamp will be able to be adjusted backward. (?)

Name:  1129510d1490978009t-gloworm-lights-back-mtbr-g2.jpg
Views: 4762
Size:  23.6 KB

Gloworm Lights
    Hey All - great to see some awesome feedback coming through. I'll try to get an answer to most of it for you.

Most of all we have been trying to make the current systems more robust and versatile - before looking at advancing the designs. i.e. Wireless remote, new lights.

This means looking at areas where issues may arise. We addressed the cables first. As with any electronic device with cables this is a weak point. As is where the cables enter the body of the product. We wanted to make these changes retro-fittable to previous light systems so older units could be upgraded.

Next up was mounting systems. There are so many variations on mounting out there thatr we wanted to make our products as versatile as possible without going over board. We incorporated the new Universal Mounting System to all light systems and mounts to be interchangeable without too much hassle. We also looked at areas of potential improvement and made some subtle changes to improve already great mounting systems.

@Cat-man-do

Wireless Remote - we put the remote on the secondary list while we were working on the other improvments. Although it was a priority, we needed to ensure our product was as robust as possible. The good news is the wireless remote has been tested and works well. The remote itself has great aesthetics and ergonomics - but most importantly function. We are aiming to launch at the beginning of the northern hemisphere fall/winter season.

NW LEDs - we will be offering this in the future direct from our site. However our lights will continue to come standard with Cool White, but at the warmer end of the spectrum. In the meantime you can get the upgrade service through Jim at Action LED Lights.

Mount - We see your point about the mount, however due to the width of the light in relation to the mount, the light will actually strike the mount before the interaction point on the mount. I've attached some images below to illustrate this. The benefit of the QR mount is that it too can be rotated and mounted in any direction to achieve the ideal mount. It does not need to be mounted in the manner pictured. e.g. I mount mine under the bars of my road bike, keeping it out of the way.

UI - With the introduction of the wireless remote the UI will also be affected. To ensure maximum redundancy, all lights will also have a button mounted to the back of the light. The wireless remote will not allow programming - just operation in the mode that the light has been set. Programming can only occur using the button on the back of the light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-bar-mount-range-motion1.jpg  

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-bar-mount-range-motion2.jpg  

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-bar-mount-range-motion3.jpg  

Last edited by Gloworm Manufacture; 04-03-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add images

mtbr member
    @Cat-man-do

Wireless Remote - we put the remote on the secondary list while we were working on the other improvements. Although it was a priority, we needed to ensure our product was as robust as possible. The good news is the wireless remote has been tested and works well. The remote itself has great aesthetics and ergonomics - but most importantly function. We are aiming to launch at the beginning of the northern hemisphere fall/winter season.

NW LEDs - we will be offering this in the future direct from our site. However our lights will continue to come standard with Cool White, but at the warmer end of the spectrum. In the meantime you can get the upgrade service through Jim at Action LED Lights.

Mount - We see your point about the mount, however due to the width of the light in relation to the mount, the light will actually strike the mount before the interaction point on the mount. I've attached some images below to illustrate this. The benefit of the QR mount is that it too can be rotated and mounted in any direction to achieve the ideal mount. It does not need to be mounted in the manner pictured. e.g. I mount mine under the bars of my road bike, keeping it out of the way.

UI - With the introduction of the wireless remote the UI will also be affected. To ensure maximum redundancy, all lights will also have a button mounted to the back of the light. The wireless remote will not allow programming - just operation in the mode that the light has been set. Programming can only occur using the button on the back of the light.
    Excellent feedback, thanks
    About the mount ( see below )

Name:  1129972d1491271796t-gloworm-lights-back-mtbr-bar-mount-range-motion3.jpg
Views: 4725
Size:  33.8 KB

My concern was that I might not be able to use this mount and still be able to get the lamp head to sit directly in front of the stem. From the photo you provide this could be a problem depending on whether or not you insist on the lamp sitting below the stem. Of course if you flip the bar mount upside down this could or might solve the issue but that remains to be seen. It wasn't mentioned though, "When" the newer mount would be made available ( unless I missed that somewhere ). I'd like to buy one of the mounts now just to use with one of my other Gopro compatible lamps.

I'm really glad to read that when the wireless remote does become available that only the button on the lamp itself will program the lamp...Good show. Going forward; It would of been a great idea to have the wireless stuff available NOW......while all us Yanks have the tax refund money burning a hole in our pockets. No problem for me. If I have no money come fall I'll just have to let the plastic do the paying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey All

Bruce and Vag
    Is the wireless remote going to be something that can be added to a current X2 or will it only work with a new light?

mtbr member
    Will the mount be 35mm bar compatible?

"Superior button feel when using gloves", does this mean there will be noticeable click when depressing the new remote button? Hope so since that would go a long way towards making the "accidental entry to intensity adjustment mode" UI issue a lot easier to live with IMO.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I think it's pretty safe to say that the wireless remotes aren't going to work with any of the older lamps. "Wireless" requires a newer UI and new electronics inside the lamp.

Gloworm Lights
    @cat-man-do: the mounts will be available in the next few weeks.

@artnshel: Unfortunately not. We have a new light called the Alpha coming out in the next few months. It will be up-gradable.

@MRMOLE: You will need to specify what size mount you want. New lights will come with 31.8mm, but the adapter will fit both size bar mounts.

Regards the button click, it is a definite click that can be heard and the new rubber button surround helps with the feel and usability.Here's a quick vid

https://goo.gl/VxLOa3

mtbr member
    Regards the button click, it is a definite click that can be heard and the new rubber button surround helps with the feel and usability.Here's a quick vid https://goo.gl/VxLOa3

You have to be a facebook member to view your video? For shame....

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-faxepjq.png

mtbr member
    Oh..I almost forgot to ask; "Is there going to be a pre-order discount for the wireless remote version"? If so I'll be on that as soon as you say.

edit; Almost forgot to ask this as well; "What's this new Alpha lamp all about"? Preview please!

smartass
    Any updates on the wireless remote or Alpha light?

mtbr member
    We are still developing the cutoff style optic, however there is an after market hood that helps with the dispersion of light. We are aiming to have the new optic ready in a few months and will be retro fittable.

Cheers

Bruce
    Curious if you guys are still working on the cutoff optic for the CX? Seems like there's more consumer interest and a few new products but nobody's got it quite right yet.
    Mole

Gloworm Lights

Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    Any updates on the wireless remote or Alpha light?
    Hey guys, here is a little bit about the Alpha and Wireless.

We're just working throught final production manufacturing of both products - and they're looking sweet.

Exact dates of release to be confirmed within 3-4 weeks.

We'll have some images up soon but for now here are some specifications (prices to be confirmed!):

Alpha
    • 1200 Lumens
    • 2 x XPG3 LEDs
    • Same Optics as CX
    • No Remote BUT upgradable to Wireless
    • Button on back of housing with LED illumination
    • 2 cell battery with no fuel guage (but charge indication)
    • Bar Mount, Helmet Mount
    • Runtime appx 2.5hrs

Wireless
    • Intially available with the X2, XS will be changed next
    • 2 button design
    • Can control two lights from the same remote - independently or together.
    • Good range
    • Simple pairing
    • Scroll up and down through light levels OR cyclical similar to current user interface
    • Button backup on rear of light

smartass
    Nice, thanks.

Is the Alpha intended to be a budget X2?

Action LED Lights

Gloworm Update

I just got off a call with Bruce at Gloworm and have some updates on the coming X2 wireless and Alpha. They are both about to enter production with stock reaching us hopefully by mid October.
    The specs are unchanged from what's listed above.
    They have update the programing to eliminate the biggest complaint many of us have had. No more accidentally entering programing mode. The programing options will still be there but you'll be able to basically lock-in your choices for normal use. The two buttons on the remote will let you control 2 lights or 2 groups of lights. Details to come.
    The helmet mount will now be the GoPro adapter that comes with the current 2017 lights. A quick release will be included and can be used if needed. Bar mounting is unchanged using the side mounted quick release clamp. Of course you'll have the option to use the GoPro mount if you have a GoPro handlebar mount you like.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-x2wireless-2.jpg
    X2 Wireless
    Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-x2wireless-1.jpg

Name:  Alpha-1.png
Views: 4375
Size:  88.5 KB
    Alpha
    Name:  Alpha-2.png
Views: 4366
Size:  67.5 KB

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-x2helmetmount.jpg
    GoPro Style Helmet Mount
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    All this looks nice but I'd like to see what the XS is going to look like. Sadly though it sounds like it won't be available here ( in the States ) until winter begins to poke it's ugly head at us.

About the Alpha; I'm somewhat confused about this lamp. Is this lamp intended for road use? If so is that all-in-one optic designed to provide more of a cut-off beam pattern in mind (?), just wondering.

Once again, I'm assuming that you are still going to be offering the new lamps ( when they arrive ) in a NW white tint as well as the standard cool white..(?) If so can you tell us what emitter is going to be used to retrofit the XS?...( Yeah, I know, I ask the tough questions )

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    All this looks nice but I'd like to see what the XS is going to look like. Sadly though it sounds like it won't be available here ( in the States ) until winter begins to poke it's ugly head at us.

About the Alpha; I'm somewhat confused about this lamp. Is this lamp intended for road use? If so is that all-in-one optic designed to provide more of a cut-off beam pattern in mind (?), just wondering.

Once again, I'm assuming that you are still going to be offering the new lamps ( when they arrive ) in a NW white tint as well as the standard cool white..(?) If so can you tell us what emitter is going to be used to retrofit the XS?...( Yeah, I know, I ask the tough questions )
    There are some interesting changes coming to the XS but I'm not at liberty to say what for now. It will unfortunately be the end of the year before we see them. With a limited staff and budget there's only so much that can happen in one year.
    I can order NW led's in pretty much what ever bin you'd like. What do you consider most desirable?
    The Alpha is intended as a replacement for the X1 and as a lower priced entry level light for any use. There are currently 2 options for the optic. A spot/spot and a spot/wide. It can be helmet or bar mounted.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    They have update the programing to eliminate the biggest complaint many of us have had. No more accidentally entering programing mode.
    Hi Jim,
    Have you got any feed back from people using the new wiring harness upgrade? I ordered a 2017 X2 lighthead and have been very happy with how much better it works. Has a much more positive feel. I've never entered the programming mode accidently with the new lighthead since I can feel what the button is doing all the time. Can't say that with my older GW lights. Liking the extra power the new lighthead has also. Any plans on updating your beam pattern charts to reflect the extra output?
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 09-03-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Action LED Lights
    [QUOTE=MRMOLE;13320222]

Hi Jim,
    Have you got any feed back from people using the new wiring harness upgrade? I ordered a 2017 X2 lighthead and have been very happy with how much better it works. Has a much more positive feel. I've never entered the programming mode accidently with the new lighthead since I can feel what the button is doing all the time. Can't say that with my older GW lights. Liking the extra power the new lighthead has also. Any plans on updating your beam pattern charts to reflect th extra output?
    Mole
    Not much feedback but it's all been good. I consider no news good news.
    If you want me to upgrade your older lights to the new harness send them in.
    I lost the space were I was doing beam testing but I think I've got another lined up so hopefully I can get caught up with testing soon.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    There are some interesting changes coming to the XS but I'm not at liberty to say what for now. It will unfortunately be the end of the year before we see them. With a limited staff and budget there's only so much that can happen in one year.
    I can order NW led's in pretty much what ever bin you'd like. What do you consider most desirable?
    The Alpha is intended as a replacement for the X1 and as a lower priced entry level light for any use. There are currently 2 options for the optic. A spot/spot and a spot/wide. It can be helmet or bar mounted.
    I ask a tough question and you answer with one back. lol...Before I try to answer, when you buy LED's are you buying just the bare emitters and reflowing them in or are you using a star or other platform? Once again, I don't know if you are using XP-L or XM-L2. I would kind of like a NW version of XP-L but I don't want a dedomed XPL HI. Then again if the optic on the lamps are designed for Xm-L2 than I'd rather stay with that and find a good NW version in the 4C tint range. ( If you'd rather answer this in a PM I'm good with that )

Okay, a new question about the new wireless remotes UI. First, I'm really glad to hear that there will be no more accidental program mode issues. Very good. Now, with the new UI when you turn the lamp off how long does it take to turn off. Does it go through the lower modes and then flash off like my current lamps do or does it now just "press hold and instant off". Not a big issue but I'm curious.

Gloworm Lights
    I ask a tough question and you answer with one back. lol...Before I try to answer, when you buy LED's are you buying just the bare emitters and reflowing them in or are you using a star or other platform? Once again, I don't know if you are using XP-L or XM-L2. I would kind of like a NW version of XP-L but I don't want a dedomed XPL HI. Then again if the optic on the lamps are designed for Xm-L2 than I'd rather stay with that and find a good NW version in the 4C tint range. ( If you'd rather answer this in a PM I'm good with that )

Okay, a new question about the new wireless remotes UI. First, I'm really glad to hear that there will be no more accidental program mode issues. Very good. Now, with the new UI when you turn the lamp off how long does it take to turn off. Does it go through the lower modes and then flash off like my current lamps do or does it now just "press hold and instant off". Not a big issue but I'm curious.
    Hey Cat!

We use XML2 and they come already mounted to an aluminum PCB. Our optics are designed for XML2, so we'll keep it that way for now.

Regards the UI, It will be the same without the programming options, unless you choose to turn these options on.

Basically, the user will click to run on the light then click to cycle through the 3 light levels. The user will remain in this cycle until they choose to select the flashing mode (special mode) by holding down the button for appx 2 sec. Or if thy wish to turn the light off, which will require a longer press of abou 4 seconds - the light will move into the special mode, then turn off.

Feel free to ask further questions - we love it!

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]

Feel free to ask further questions - we love it!

Bruce and Vag
    1) How do you turn on the programming mode?

2) Does the UI still have the special mode that is just high/low?

3) How does that wireless remote mount?

4) Curious why you still rate the X2 @ 1500 lumens when the actual output is at least a couple of hundred lumens above that on the 2017 model? I'm assuming it's not production variances since the current draw off the battery is considerably higher than previous models.

Also, "Good Job" on the new remote button! Much better, works great!! Hope the new wireless has the same feel.

Mole

Gloworm Lights
    [QUOTE=MRMOLE;13321275]

1) How do you turn on the programming mode?

2) Does the UI still have the special mode that is just high/low?

3) How does that wireless remote mount?

4) Curious why you still rate the X2 @ 1500 lumens when the actual output is at least a couple of hundred lumens above that on the 2017 model? I'm assuming it's not production variances since the current draw off the battery is considerably higher than previous models.

Also, "Good Job" on the new remote button! Much better, works great!! Hope the new wireless has the same feel.

Mole
    1. From any light level, hold the button down for 15 seconds, the light will turn off, then flash, then turn on again. You have now restarted your light with programming enabled. Now simply go to the light level you want change, then proceed to change the light level like you do with the current UI. When you disconnect the battery and restart the light, it will resatart without programming enabled.

2. Yes it will still have what we call commute mode - 2 light levels and is started using a double click when the light is off.

3. Oring on the bar.

4. Its difficult from a packaging and marketing point of view to just change. The new X2 with wireless will be increased

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi Bruce,
    Will the new X2 be released in NZ at the same time as the US ?
    or will we have to wait till 2018.
    I have had a X1 since they first came out and a 2015 model X2
    both Fantastic lights. My X1 is now used on a headstrap and the X2 as my helmet light with a 2 cell battery. Wireless will be a great added feature.
    Always great to see Kiwi innovation around the world

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Would you recommend pairing the ituo wiz20 on bars with the alpha on helmet. I already have the wiz 20 and am looking for a helmet light.
    Also, What comes with the alpha? Any mounts or batteries. New to this. Sorry if this question has been answered. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Kiwi View Post
    Hi Bruce,
    Will the new X2 be released in NZ at the same time as the US ?
    or will we have to wait till 2018.
    I have had a X1 since they first came out and a 2015 model X2
    both Fantastic lights. My X1 is now used on a headstrap and the X2 as my helmet light with a 2 cell battery. Wireless will be a great added feature.
    Always great to see Kiwi innovation around the world
    Yes the new wireless X2 will be released around the same time Thanks for your support!

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Would you recommend pairing the ituo wiz20 on bars with the alpha on helmet. I already have the wiz 20 and am looking for a helmet light.
    Also, What comes with the alpha? Any mounts or batteries. New to this. Sorry if this question has been answered. Thanks!

Yes the Alpha would make an awesome helmet light as it comes with a 2 cell battery which is ideal for helmet mounting. Full description and list of whats included can be found here: 2018 Gloworm Alpha (1200 Lumens) | Glowormlites

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yes the new wireless X2 will be released around the same time Thanks for your support!
    Hi Bruce,
    I have already preordered my 2018 Adventure X2, Looking forward to receiving it next month. Thanks

mtbr member
    any ETA to when the 2018 XS changes will be announced?

Gloworm Lights
    mfa81 - No info yet. We are not planning any changes to the XS at this stage, but we are definitely looking at some options for Feb 2018 and beyond.

Gloworm Lights

New Products

So the new products are rolling out soon and we're excited to say the new lights and updates are looking great.

Some of the main updates are as follows:

New Gloworm Alpha 1200 Lumen - This light has been introduced as a pricepoint model. It will replace the X1 which was a similar size. The Alpha uses the same optic as the CX units. It can also be upgraded to accept a wireless remote.

It is manufactured using cast aluminium instead of CNC machining and the battery has no indication (except that for charging). It will use XPG3 S4 6000K (but can be purchased with 4500k NW LEDs).

User Interface - We have listened to all the feedback on our current UI and made a substatial change. In normal operation the light cannot be programmed. It operates like most lights - a click to turn on then clicks to cycle through light levels. It maintains the two light level mode by starting the light with a double click. The new UI is far more 'snappy' and responsive.

To programme the light, you hold down the button for 15 seconds when the light is on. The light will trun off then turn on again. When it has turned on the user can programme the light in the same way as was done with the older UI. Double click at the light level you want to change, then adjust the light level, then double clcik to save. The light can still be used in this 'programme area'. However, if the user wants to return to the more repsonsive UI they simply need to turn off the light then turn it on again.

A light can only be programmed using the local button (button on the light) not the remote button.

TX Wireless Remote - The wireless remote features some functions that will transform the way you ride using lights. It features 2 buttons. In its most simple form, 1 light can be paired to 1 button.

You can also pair 2 lights to one remote - 1 light per button. Alternatively, you can pair 2 or more lights to 1 button and syncornise the lights. Lastly, if you wish, you can use the buttons to scroll through the light levels (as opposed to cycle). Meaning using the up button to increase light levels and the down to decrease light levels.

A light cannot be programmed using the TX.

NW LEDs - we are in the process of making available an NW LED upgrade option to all our products. The upgrade will cost about $10 and will feature 4500K NW LEDs. This upgrade will be available on new lights via Gloworm or Action LED Lights. An upgrade to current Lights is only avaialble through Action LED Lights.

If there are any questions, as usual, we will answer as swiftly and as accurately as possible.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    QUOTE=Gloworm Manufacture;13379256New Products

So the new products are rolling out soon and we're excited to say the new lights and updates are looking great.

Some of the main updates are as follows:

New Gloworm Alpha 1200 Lumen - This light has been introduced as a pricepoint model. It will replace the X1 which was a similar size. The Alpha uses the same optic as the CX units. It can also be upgraded to accept a wireless remote.

It is manufactured using cast aluminium instead of CNC machining and the battery has no indication (except that for charging). It will use XPG3 S4 6000K (but can be purchased with 4500k NW LEDs).]
    Thanks for the 2018 info. A few more questions so I can educate myself on this light.

1) Standard optic clarification: I've seen the standard optic combo listed as spot/spot and spot/flood and am wondering which is correct?

2) Beam pattern: Since the Alpha uses CX optics and XPG emitters should we expect a similar beam pattern as the CX Urban (just more powerful)?

3) Beam throw: Considering emitter differences how does the lower powered Alpha's beam throw compare to the new X2 (narrowest focused optics in each)?

4) Wireless remote option: Are the lights prewired for this and you only need to purchase the remote button or do some internal modifications have to be made? Is this option available currently for the Alpha and what's the estimated cost of the upgrade?

Mole

Gloworm Lights
    Mey MRMOLE

I've endeavoured to answer your questions below.....If you have any more just fire away!

B

Thanks for the 2018 info. A few more questions so I can educate myself on this light.

1) Standard optic clarification: I've seen the standard optic combo listed as spot/spot and spot/flood and am wondering which is correct?

The light will come with both, but will be fitted with Spot/Flood. We're also looking at introducing the flood/flood soon (a true eliptical style combo)

2) Beam pattern: Since the Alpha uses CX optics and XPG emitters should we expect a similar beam pattern as the CX Urban (just more powerful)?

Thats correct, the CX Urban has a very nice beam and we have seen similar but more powerful with the Alpha. The XPG3 provide a slightly wider beam but doesn't lose out on throw.

3) Beam throw: Considering emitter differences how does the lower powered Alpha's beam throw compare to the new X2 (narrowest focused optics in each)?

The Alpha is definitely not as powerful as the X2, the optics are essentially the same, however the Alpha uses the combined optic and less power. As you are probably aware an XML will always produce a wider beam and XPGs a narrower beam, but with the XPG3 it allows us to get close to the nice beam width of the X2. It probably throws about 75% of the distance of the X2 (roughly)

4) Wireless remote option: Are the lights prewired for this and you only need to purchase the remote button or do some internal modifications have to be made? Is this option available currently for the Alpha and what's the estimated cost of the upgrade?

The Alpha has the same internals as the X2. They are upgradable to wireless without too much trouble. The Upgrade kit is $49 for DIY or you can send your light to Action LED Lights for the upgrade. The kit consists of a Recevier Board and TX Wireless Remote. To replace is as simple as opening the light to get the backplate off, replacing the board on the backplate from the basic 'button' board to the 'receiver board', then closing the light back up.

Mole

mtbr member

Any changes to the CX line?

Curious if any changes were made on the two CX lights?

1) Do the UI programming changes include the CX lights?

2) Does the new CX Urban now have XPG3 emitters and is the "neutral white" option available on both CX lights?

3) Is there a wireless remote option for the CX lights?

If there are other changes I didn't ask about please include them in your reply.

Mole

Gloworm Lights
    Hey MRMOLE

Keep the questions coming!

Curious if any changes were made on the two CX lights?

1) Do the UI programming changes include the CX lights?

Yes, the UI has changed on the new run of CX lights also.

2) Does the new CX Urban now have XPG3 emitters and is the "neutral white" option available on both CX lights?

Yes, XPG3 will be featured on the CX Urban. At this stage we are planning to havea NW upgrade, but that is not 100% confirmed.

3) Is there a wireless remote option for the CX lights?

The CX in its current state is pretty packed full of electronics an batteries, so no room for wireless components too. We do have an option for a wired remote on the CX but not wireless. Although we coudl create a micro USB dongle to allow wireless operation - Now there's an idea!

If there are other changes I didn't ask about please include them in your reply.

Mole
    Here is a link to our instructions page on the website - here you will find new instructions for our lights etc. They have been arranged by Action rather than Lightset - as a lot of our mounts etc are common to all lights.

Gloworm Instructions Web Page

We will be adding more instrcutions every day as shipping of the new lights approaches.

Current Instructions Feature:

Programming
    Basic Instructions
    Transmitter Operation

Following soon are:

Battery Status Indication, Charging and Care
    Mounting Options
    Runtimes Matrix
    Changing Optics

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Will the remote upgrade be available for the XS also?

Gloworm Lights
    We are looking at upgrading the XS to wireless in a similar fashion to the XS, however, this change will not be until the start of next year.

Cheers

mtbr member
    OK, I've jumped in with both feet. I ordered up two of your X2 lightheads: one kit and one standalone light which I'll pair with an existing battery. I really wanted to see more reviews first, but I guess I'll be the "early adopter" on this one. It would help sales of new models if there were some pre-production samples available to reviewers and testers.

The most exciting feature on the 2018 X2 is the wireless remote that can control multiple units. Much more convenient to have one button, and also having it wireless so it can be placed in the most convenient spot. Any idea what the battery life will be like on the remote? And is there any indicator of battery life on the remote?
    "Got everything you need?"

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    OK, I've jumped in with both feet. I ordered up two of your X2 lightheads: one kit and one standalone light which I'll pair with an existing battery. I really wanted to see more reviews first, but I guess I'll be the "early adopter" on this one. It would help sales of new models if there were some pre-production samples available to reviewers and testers.

The most exciting feature on the 2018 X2 is the wireless remote that can control multiple units. Much more convenient to have one button, and also having it wireless so it can be placed in the most convenient spot. Any idea what the battery life will be like on the remote? And is there any indicator of battery life on the remote?
    TwoHeadsBrewing,

First, your order will go out today!!!

As far as battery life for the remote. Maybe Bruce can give a definitive answer, but I expect years. It only draws power from the battery when the button is pressed. So if your bike computer can go a couple of seasons on the same type battery and it's on all the time. I expect long life from the remote.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    I have a battery pack question/idea.

For those of us who use a small pack or just jersey and pocket what are the thoughts to a 'flat' type battery pack instead of the traditional 2x2 pack? I've looked around online for anything that might work but have not had much luck. I'd rather not attempt to build my own pack as i'm pretty sure i'd mess something up.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I have the KD one, works great.

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024761.K...n-Battery-Pack

Looks like HunkLee has one also. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Li-ion-7-4V...S/320920802301

Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    For those of us who use a small pack or just jersey and pocket what are the thoughts to a 'flat' type battery pack instead of the traditional 2x2 pack? I've looked around online for anything that might work but have not had much luck.

mtbr member
    Well hell that was quick - thanks!! I guess my kung-fu search isn't what it should be......

What lights do you use that pack with?

mtbr member
    What lights do you use that pack with?
    XS/X2 Combo from Action LED. The 6th picture on their website front page is me.

mtbr member
    Great - I've been running the X2's since they first came out but have upgraded to dual XS and the X2's are for my daughter

mtbr member
    TwoHeadsBrewing,

First, your order will go out today!!!

As far as battery life for the remote. Maybe Bruce can give a definitive answer, but I expect years. It only draws power from the battery when the button is pressed. So if your bike computer can go a couple of seasons on the same type battery and it's on all the time. I expect long life from the remote.
    Thanks, excited to test them out! And that's good news about the battery too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone knows why the gloworm nz website isn't reachable?
    https://www.glowormlites.co.nz

And why product pages on the us website can't be looked at without login?
    https://www.glowormlites.us/collecti...et-2200-lumens

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by angerdan View Post
    Anyone knows why the gloworm nz website isn't reachable?
    https://www.glowormlites.co.nz

And why product pages on the us website can't be looked at without login?
    https://www.glowormlites.us/collecti...et-2200-lumens
    Angerdan,

The NZ site sometimes times out while trying to load. Just try again later.

The glowormlites.us site is a B2B wholesale only site selling to bike shops. Action LED Lights is your retail source. In most cases we offer or honor the same sales and discounts as the NZ site with free shipping to US addresses for orders over $75
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ...... Action LED Lights is your retail source. In most cases we offer or honor the same sales and discounts as the NZ site with free shipping to US addresses for orders over $75
    Plus, as many on this site can attest to, Action has stellar customer service.

Free shipping to US addresses may not help angerdan as his profile says Germany.

Gloworm Lights
    Any idea what the battery life will be like on the remote? And is there any indicator of battery life on the remote?
    Conservatively we've calculated it to about 15000 clicks. Based on draw of the circuit, battery type and types of button presses - longer presses draw more power.

Example - If you were to night ride twice per week, every week of the year, then you'd be riding 104 rides. If you were to click the button 150 times per ride (not likely) then the remote would only last 1 year.

Realistically, you'll get about 2 years out of one button battery.

We'd also suggest changing the battery after this time to ensure the performance of the remote is maintained.

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for the info! Sounds like plenty of time for each battery, and a 2032 is common and easy to find.

mtbr member
    Very quick shipping, thanks Jim! Received my lights on Friday afternoon...nice surprise for the weekend. I haven't taken them out on the trail yet, but I will on Tuesday night if the weather cooperates. Once I do, I'll post up a more complete review with some pictures and maybe some video from the ride. For now, here are my initial thoughts:

I ordered the X2 kit with 5800mah 4-cell, and then another X2 light head only. I already have quite a few spare batteries that I'll pair with the extra light head. At first look, I'm very impressed with the X2: fully featured kit, solid feel to the light and battery, two different mounting options for the light head (side and bottom), and lots of extras in the box. It comes with a side mount (for the bars), plus a GoPro style helmet mount, and the screws/plate necessary for attaching the GoPro mount to the light head. Also included are a couple of velcro bands, a pack of zip ties, two hex wrenches, the wireless remote, two spare optics (spot and diffused), and of course the battery. It even comes with a nice case for storing the battery and light. Each of the light heads came with one spot and one diffused optic.

Pairing the lights with the wireless remote was simple: plug the light into the battery, hold down the button on the remote you want to pair. The light flashes which indicates it has been paired, and now you can use the light via the remote. Repeat with the other light on the same button, or a different one. I chose to have my helmet light controlled by the top button and the bar light controlled by the bottom button. That way I can adjust the brightness independently for each light. I think it's going to be a great setup, and I can't wait to try it out on the trail.

Speaking of trying it out, I did go for a quick spin around the neighborhood and WOW are these lights bright. The one on the bars throws so much light on the high setting it's actually too much! I think 60-75% power on the bars is plenty. I even swapped out one of the spot optics to run both diffused and it's still a ton of light...just now a little better spread and more evenly lit. That power is really great up on the helmet though; great throw and spread. It reminds me of the Gemini Duo beam pattern but brighter. It throws light just as far as the Ituo XP2 but has better spread and no noticeable spot.

The only negative I'd say at this point is the helmet mount. It's the only part that I feel isn't quite up to par compared to most lights I've used. The plastic base is fairly small, and comes with just zip ties to attach to your helmet. If you have velcro straps, you could use those...but the kit only comes with one strap that will fit. Would love to see two of the thinner straps that would fit the mount. But even with those straps, the plastic base is too small to support the light well, at least on my helmet. I'd like to see a wider mount with included velcro straps, something like the Ituo XP2 mount. It's the most stable and easy to set up that I've ever used. But all in all, it's an OK mount and you can purchase other mounts for <$15.

Instead of this:

Something like this (wider, more stable, velcro included):

mtbr member
    I ditched the velcro/ziptie option and went for the GoPro 3m sticky mount option on my helmets and it works very well and doesn't move.

Sorry - only picture i had handy.

Name:  light mount.JPG
Views: 3384
Size:  27.3 KB

Gloworm Lights
    Very quick shipping, thanks Jim! Received my lights on Friday afternoon...nice surprise for the weekend. I haven't taken them out on the trail yet, but I will on Tuesday night if the weather cooperates. Once I do, I'll post up a more complete review with some pictures and maybe some video from the ride. For now, here are my initial thoughts:

I ordered the X2 kit with 5800mah 4-cell, and then another X2 light head only. I already have quite a few spare batteries that I'll pair with the extra light head. At first look I'm very impressed..........
    Hey TwoTwoHeadsBrewing

Thanks for the quick review on the kit. It's awesome to see some new products already out there!

We understand what you mean regards the helmet mount. It's one of the most difficult things to design as every helmet is different. Some have a centre channel and others a centre ridge, some none at all. But its definitely something we'll look at making some adjustments to. Also, you should have received 2 velcro elastic straps, one for the helmet and one for the battery?

Looking forward to the next part of your feedback - we love this stuff!!

Bruce and Vag!

mtbr member
    @Gloworm: I totally get what you mean about designing for every helmet. Mine actually does have a slight center channel, and I think that's why it's not very secure. I think I'll try NitroRCEd's suggestion with the 3M sticky mount. And yes, I did receive two straps, but again I think with my specific helmet the strap isn't quite long enough. I'll take a look when I do a more thorough review and take some pictures.

mtbr member
    they have those mounts that are flat and some with a slight curve to them - i find for the helmets we have the one with the slight curve works the best. I've put these mounts on about 6 helmets between mine and my two girls and so far so good.

On my setup i'm running the XS on the helmet and no problems.

Enjoy the lights!

Action LED Lights
    they have those mounts that are flat and some with a slight curve to them - i find for the helmets we have the one with the slight curve works the best. I've put these mounts on about 6 helmets between mine and my two girls and so far so good.

On my setup i'm running the XS on the helmet and no problems.

Enjoy the lights!
    NitroRC Ed,

I assume you mean these.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...iant=964628676
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    NitroRC Ed,

I assume you mean these.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...iant=964628676
    Roger that

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If the helmet has a spot for it, the GoPro adhesive mount is excellent. I'd advise finding one that uses genuine 3M VHB adhesive pad like shown in the linked mount in post 84. I've had a couple customers report failures with no-name adhesives after use in wet and cold conditions. Cleanliness is important in getting the best adhesion regardless of the brand of adhesive.

Gloworm Lights
    Hi All

We've just noticed a very small error in our instructions that are shipped with the new lights.

When pairing a light to a remote, you have 15 seconds from the time a battery is connected to make the pair. If this time is exceeded, the pairing function will be turned off. To reestablsh the pair function, the battery must be disconnected then reconnected.

A quick sorry to everyone who has already experienced this.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Are you guys matching the gloworm europe 20% off presale offer?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/gloworme...=page_internal

Angerdan,

The NZ site sometimes times out while trying to load. Just try again later.

The glowormlites.us site is a B2B wholesale only site selling to bike shops. Action LED Lights is your retail source. In most cases we offer or honor the same sales and discounts as the NZ site with free shipping to US addresses for orders over $75

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Gloworm Question

Hi All

We've just noticed a very small error in our instructions that are shipped with the new lights.

When pairing a light to a remote, you have 15 seconds from the time a battery is connected to make the pair. If this time is exceeded, the pairing function will be turned off. To reestablsh the pair function, the battery must be disconnected then reconnected.

A quick sorry to everyone who has already experienced this.....
    Hi Gloworm- I just received the 2018 X2. Really like the light, remote, and battery. According to your literature the set should have Spare optics (Wide Angle/Spot) What comes with the set is a spare Spot and Flood. The light has a Spot and Flood also installed. Is that a packaging error? As I am using this for a bar mount now it looks like I will have to order and pay shipping for a Wide Angle optic that should have been included based upon the literature. Could you please comment?

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_MTB_22 View Post
    Hi Gloworm- I just received the 2018 X2. Really like the light, remote, and battery. According to your literature the set should have Spare optics (Wide Angle/Spot) What comes with the set is a spare Spot and Flood. The light has a Spot and Flood also installed. Is that a packaging error? As I am using this for a bar mount now it looks like I will have to order and pay shipping for a Wide Angle optic that should have been included based upon the literature. Could you please comment?

Hey Steve

You won't be paying for anything extra -

We'll get the wide angle out to you as soon as we can.

Please email [email protected] and we'll get it out to you right away.

Apologies for the small error.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    [QUOTE=Gloworm Manufacture;13409221]Hey Steve

You won't be paying for anything extra

Wow that was easy. Will do and thank you. Looking forward to when the 2018 XS comes out to go with this X2!

mtbr member

can anyone educate me on flood vs wide angle for handlebar? Seems from the description the flood is not much different than the spot

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    can anyone educate me on flood vs wide angle for handlebar? Seems from the description the flood is not much different than the spot
    Hey mfa81

The flood could also be described as a diffuser optic, its face is frosted. This takes the light and softens it somewhat, it also helps to spread the light more evenly across the light beam. It also lesssens the intensity by appx 30%.

The wide angle is a semi elliptical optic. The beam pattern when used alone is rectangular, but not a long skinny rectangle. More like a 1:2.5 ratio. When used with a spot optic it really helps with peripheral light without wasting light up and down.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    Hey mfa81

The flood could also be described as a diffuser optic, its face is frosted. This takes the light and softens it somewhat, it also helps to spread the light more evenly across the light beam. It also lesssens the intensity by appx 30%.
    Does the flood optic widen the beam any? I've definitely noticed the approx. 30% drop in intensity but always replace the floods with a spot or a wide angle if a wider beam is desired.

The wide angle is a semi elliptical optic. The beam pattern when used alone is rectangular, but not a long skinny rectangle. More like a 1:2.5 ratio. When used with a spot optic it really helps with peripheral light without wasting light up and down.
    Love this optic!!! Age and retina surgeries have increased my glare sensitivity and this optic allows me to widen my lights beam when desired without flooding the foreground with light like a traditional symmetrical wide angle would. Also retains more intensity compared to a symmetrical wide angle optic because it only widens the beam where needed. Good job on this one guys (your spot is awesome too).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    [QUOTE=Steve_MTB_22;13409574]
    Hey Steve

You won't be paying for anything extra

Wow that was easy. Will do and thank you. Looking forward to when the 2018 XS comes out to go with this X2!
    Got it yesterday and will run it tonight. Will comment back. Thanks

mtbr member
    Hey mfa81

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Very interesting. Since I've had the Raveman PR-1200 I've come to appreciate a lamp that can provide a wide spread of light without losing too much throw. I have one of the older GW X2's on the bars that I use with one of the GW standard frosted floods and one spot optic. I've been using that for years and have been happy but if I can dial-up the beam pattern to get some more side light up close that would certainly be something I'd be interested in. Extra side light comes in handy when riding twisty/wide/technical trails, especially in the fall/winter when there tends to be less trail side foliage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dumb question time! Is there another thread that discusses the Alpha or is this the best place? I think the price on the Alpha is great. Now the X2 seems like too much light and too much money to me. Anyone have any real world feedback on the Alpha? Any downsides to a 2 x Alpha setup?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Dumb question time! Is there another thread that discusses the Alpha or is this the best place? I think the price on the Alpha is great. Now the X2 seems like too much light and too much money to me. Anyone have any real world feedback on the Alpha? Any downsides to a 2 x Alpha setup?
    Since the Alpha won't be shipping for about another week there are no reviews yet. I'm sure there will be as soon as it's in the hands of some users.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Magically Delicious
    I understand the "too much money" part, but can you really have "too much light"?

I want all the light my budget can afford, then some more.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by str8dum View Post
    Are you guys matching the gloworm europe 20% off presale offer?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/gloworme...=page_internal
    Since the 2018 X2 is now shipping there is no longer a Pre-sale offer for us or them.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    I never regret having dual XS lights. I started with lower lumen lights and have worked my way up and am pleased so much that if they come up with a more output XS i may have to get a couple more.....

One think i especially like is that if i need to go out for a very long night ride I can run the XS at a low or mid level and have hours more run time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I think the Alpha would be fine on the bars, and maybe enough on the helmet depending on how you ride. Hell, I used to ride with a couple "800 lumen" original Magicshine lights that were more like 650 lumen on a good day. It wasn't a great pattern for riding the trail, but it was enough to ride conservatively at night. After a couple more rides with the X2 I think it's my new benchmark for a helmet light. Great beam pattern, long throw, and high quality. On the bars you don't need as much light, but I wouldn't skimp on the helmet light.

mtbr member
    Will be interesting to see how the Alpha ends up working for a helmet light. The Alpha's XPG3 emitters are more throw oriented than the XML2 emitters used in the X2 and considering the 900 lumen XPG equipped CX urban out throws the 1300 lumen XML equipped CX Trail the Alpha may out throw the more powerful X2. I've been told to expect a similar reduction in throw as in lumen output compared to the X2 but remain skeptical this is fact.
    Mole

*** Alpha "Lighthead only" option now available @ Action-LED-Lights!!***
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 11-16-2017 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member

Appreciate the discount!!!

Thanks Gloworm/Action-LED-Lights for the "BLACKFRIDAY" deal. Have been very curious about the new Alpha but already have lots of more powerful lights and Alpha was a bit out of my price range for review lights till today. Looking forward to testing the least expensive way to get Gloworm performance and quality. Too good of a deal to pass up.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I had an x2 wireless lighthead in my cart, somehow I showed some self-control, lol. Resistance is futile when the XS wireless shows up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    I had an x2 wireless lighthead in my cart, somehow I showed some self-control, lol. Resistance is futile when the XS wireless shows up!
    Well done. Quieting the trigger finger is sometimes hard to do. Like you said though, when the XS wireless shows up we'll all be laying down the Benjamin's.

That said Gloworm won't make as much money off of the wireless stuff as they could have. They simply took too long to bring the stuff to market and now there's more competition.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Can someone tell me the kelvin temp of daylight and neutral light on the XS?

And out of curiosity, are there any coupon codes available?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I think the Alpha would be fine on the bars, and maybe enough on the helmet depending on how you ride. Hell, I used to ride with a couple "800 lumen" original Magicshine lights that were more like 650 lumen on a good day. It wasn't a great pattern for riding the trail, but it was enough to ride conservatively at night. After a couple more rides with the X2 I think it's my new benchmark for a helmet light. Great beam pattern, long throw, and high quality. On the bars you don't need as much light, but I wouldn't skimp on the helmet light.
    Don't most riders use a stronger wide pattern light on hadlebars and a weaker narrow beam on helmet?

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/best-mount...-lights-335433

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

"A light on the*bar*is essential; running well below your eyeline it creates shadows in the trail ahead, generating texture to read and facilitate line choice. For fast riding you will need around 2000 lumens plus, less for more straightforward, less technical riding.

A*helmet*mount on its own is positively dangerous, beaming out virtually in line with the eye to flatten any shadows, rendering the view virtually two dimensional and impossible to judge.

The best setup has a bit of both – a powerful bar light for trail reading, backed up by a helmet light that allows tight corners to be negotiated, obstacles to be peered over and, of course, it lets you turn to see what the hell that rustling was in the bushes just off to your right a minute ago. Around 600-1000 lumens for a helmet mount will allow you to see far enough without overpowering those all important shadows created by your bar mount."

Read more at http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/best-mount...H3UIbFeaDIg.99

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by RRsRRs View Post
    Can someone tell me the kelvin temp of daylight and neutral light on the XS?

And out of curiosity, are there any coupon codes available?

Thanks.
    The Daylight led's are 6000K - 6500K
    The Neutral Whites are 4500K - 5000K
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Don't most riders use a stronger wide pattern light on hadlebars and a weaker narrow beam on helmet?

The best mountain bike lights for 2017/2018 - MBR

"A light on the*bar*is essential; running well below your eyeline it creates shadows in the trail ahead, generating texture to read and facilitate line choice. For fast riding you will need around 2000 lumens plus, less for more straightforward, less technical riding.

A*helmet*mount on its own is positively dangerous, beaming out virtually in line with the eye to flatten any shadows, rendering the view virtually two dimensional and impossible to judge.

The best setup has a bit of both – a powerful bar light for trail reading, backed up by a helmet light that allows tight corners to be negotiated, obstacles to be peered over and, of course, it lets you turn to see what the hell that rustling was in the bushes just off to your right a minute ago. Around 600-1000 lumens for a helmet mount will allow you to see far enough without overpowering those all important shadows created by your bar mount."

Read more at The best mountain bike lights for 2017/2018 - MBR
    This is such a contentious issue and IMHO it really depends on the individual and how they like the light in relation to the trail.

In discussion, the main points I try to get across is: Wider beam on the bar than on the helmet and a helmet light that can throw down the trail so the rider can see whats coming - how far the rider needs to see depends on personal preference/speed etc.

To say someone needs 2000 lumens on the bar to ride fast is like saying someone needs a 5litre V8 car to go fast - its just not the case. Its about what you want/need and how the light is used - remember lumens is just about how much light is emmitted from the light and lux points to the intensity at any one point. The combination of these two creates the beam.

When riding with a wider beam on the bar, it facilitates shadows, enhances peripheral vision and provides light from close in to a moderate distance down the trail, if it is too far down the trail you lose the advantage of light closer in and therefore peripheral speed judgement (trees moving past your eye). The helmet light, allows you to scope out whats going on down the trail a distance usually just past the beam of the bar light and also allows the rider to look through a corner and spot the exit, whilst the bar light will usually point into the corner.

Additionally, we sell plenty of lights to indivudals just wanting a helmet light to use. This is also a valid method as we don't all have access to the funds to purchase a pair of high powered lights. If the beam on the helmet is relatively powerful with good width, then running only the helmet light is fine. The rider will not get the advantage of as much peripheral light or maximum ground shadow, but they still will be able to ride relatively fast, safely and most of all have fun!

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    This is such a contentious issue and IMHO it really depends on the individual and how they like the light in relation to the trail.

In discussion, the main points I try to get across is: Wider beam on the bar than on the helmet and a helmet light that can throw down the trail so the rider can see whats coming - how far the rider needs to see depends on personal preference/speed etc.

To say someone needs 2000 lumens on the bar to ride fast is like saying someone needs a 5litre V8 car to go fast - its just not the case. Its about what you want/need and how the light is used - remember lumens is just about how much light is emmitted from the light and lux points to the intensity at any one point. The combination of these two creates the beam.

When riding with a wider beam on the bar, it facilitates shadows, enhances peripheral vision and provides light from close in to a moderate distance down the trail, if it is too far down the trail you lose the advantage of light closer in and therefore peripheral speed judgement (trees moving past your eye). The helmet light, allows you to scope out whats going on down the trail a distance usually just past the beam of the bar light and also allows the rider to look through a corner and spot the exit, whilst the bar light will usually point into the corner.

Additionally, we sell plenty of lights to indivudals just wanting a helmet light to use. This is also a valid method as we don't all have access to the funds to purchase a pair of high powered lights. If the beam on the helmet is relatively powerful with good width, then running only the helmet light is fine. The rider will not get the advantage of as much peripheral light or maximum ground shadow, but they still will be able to ride relatively fast, safely and most of all have fun!

Cheers

Bruce
    Thanks!
    For fast, twisty, few rock gardens, should a x2 (bars) & alpha (helmet) be enough? Riding in SoCal/OC. Most rides in 1.5-2h range.
    Climbing with no or minimum light.
    I am leaning towards XS (bars) & X2 (helmet)
    Any idea when a wireless XS will be available?

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    For fast, twisty, few rock gardens, should a x2 (bars) & alpha (helmet) be enough? Riding in SoCal/OC. Most rides in 1.5-2h range.
    Climbing with no or minimum light.
    I am leaning towards XS (bars) & X2 (helmet)
    Any idea when a wireless XS will be available?

I think that's plenty of light. Everybody is different it seems, but too much light on the bars washes things out on the trail close to me. With my X2 on the bars I don't run it on high; either low for climbing/slow technical, or medium for descending. The helmet light is on low for climbing and max output for descending. I think even an Alpha on the bars would be plenty if you wanted to save some cash. But it sure is nice with the X2 running on low and medium because it will last over 4 hours easy.

And like I said, everyone is different and you should try it both ways. What works is what works!

mtbr member
    I am getting a x2 2018 wireless light and will need another loght for my hadlebars. Should I wait for wireless xs or should I just get the current one?

Anpther option would be to use the x2 on hadlebars and get a alpha for helmet. Or another x2...

Action LED Lights
    I am getting a x2 2018 wireless light and will need another loght for my hadlebars. Should I wait for wireless xs or should I just get the current one?

Anpther option would be to use the x2 on hadlebars and get a alpha for helmet. Or another x2...

It will likely be summer before we see a wireless XS. However, a bar mounted light is not a problem with the wired remote since you can put the switch right next to your grip and hit it with your thumb. You would more than likely put the wireless switch in the same place.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Thank you.
    I am trying to figure out if I will miss the option to controll all lights with 1 remote...

mtbr member
    Thank you.
    I am trying to figure out if I will miss the option to controll all lights with 1 remote...

One remote would be ideal for a clean and simple control arrangement and sounds like what you want if you can stand to wait. If you need 2 lights now but think you will eventually pick up a wireless XS you might even consider a CX trail for an interim bar light to go with the X2. I've really enjoyed having a similar Ituo Wiz20 that works great for road or mountain use and is frequently my first choice (I own a ton of lights) for neighborhood/MUP/road rides. This option would leave you with a light that would probably still get used after you upgrade to the XS. Just a different Idea to consider (if it sounds appropriate for you).
    Mole

Gloworm Lights
    One remote would be ideal for a clean and simple control arrangement and sounds like what you want if you can stand to wait. If you need 2 lights now but think you will eventually pick up a wireless XS you might even consider a CX trail for an interim bar light to go with the X2. I've really enjoyed having a similar Ituo Wiz20 that works great for road or mountain use and is frequently my first choice (I own a ton of lights) for neighborhood/MUP/road rides. This option would leave you with a light that would probably still get used after you upgrade to the XS. Just a different Idea to consider (if it sounds appropriate for you).
    Mole
    Good idea MRMOLE.

An alternative to that is the Alpha. Use the Alpha on the helmet for now and the X2 on the bar.

The Alpha is upgradable to wireless (yet to be released) so when/if you feel the need you could buy the upgrade and you'll have 2 wirelessly controlled lights - operated form the same remote.

The Alpha throws a little better than the X2, however the beam width is noticeably more narrow.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Good idea MRMOLE.

An alternative to that is the Alpha. Use the Alpha on the helmet for now and the X2 on the bar.

The Alpha is upgradable to wireless (yet to be released) so when/if you feel the need you could buy the upgrade and you'll have 2 wirelessly controlled lights - operated form the same remote.

The Alpha throws a little better than the X2, however the beam width is noticeably more narrow.

Cheers

Bruce
    Curious to see how XPG3's will work Gloworm style + extra large bike light budget this year + Black Friday Sale = tracking info. indicating as of Saturday I should have an Alpha to evaluate and recommend to those who's needs it will fit (IMO). Guessing I'm getting another great light!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Bruce I'm looking for an XS to go with my X2 also. Will there be an early release of an XS that can be upgraded to wireless remote?

Gloworm Lights
    Bruce I'm looking for an XS to go with my X2 also. Will there be an early release of an XS that can be upgraded to wireless remote?
    Hey

Not as yet sorry - the redesign of the XS to become wireless required a little more than the X2. So, unfortunately there won't be any early release.

Cheers

Bruce

smartass
    Anybody having trouble with losing the BT connection on the new wireless lights? My X2 (bar mounted) stopped responding to remote inputs three times on my ride last night.

A disconnect/reconnect would re-pair the lighthead to the remote, but would drop the connection again.

The last re-pairing remained stable for the reminder of the ride.

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    Anybody having trouble with losing the BT connection on the new wireless lights? My X2 (bar mounted) stopped responding to remote inputs three times on my ride last night.

A disconnect/reconnect would re-pair the lighthead to the remote, but would drop the connection again.

The last re-pairing remained stable for the reminder of the ride.
    Hey Amish_matt

Cannot say we're happy to hear your experience was less than ideal, but very happy you have let us know.

First of all, drop us a line at [email protected] and we will sort this for you pronto.

Regards to dropping off of the signal, it could be due to a low battery in the remote. We have had a couple of instances where the remote button has been pressed in transit to the customer and therefore has lost a lot of capacity. In this case we have reimbursed the customer the cost of the button cell. By the way the packaging situation has now been resolved.

Either way, drop us an email and we'll solve this situation as fast as we can.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have some feedback and a question I can't find an answer to.

First, the X2 with two spot optics is ideal for road riding. I replaced a self modded 3 XML with triple reflector light with it for weight and it is a good replacement. My computer and light are stem mounted on an arm out front and my original light would cause it to bounce around a bit and I don't have that with the X2. I had more spill with my original, but the X2 gives a steady cone of light out the front with no hot-spots and I would say it has more throw. Intensity is about the same.

I thought I would not use the wireless transmitter but it is convenient to dim for oncoming riders on the path.

The question - I noticed attaching my own battery the button on the back changes color during a startup test I assume. While riding toward the end of a ride the other night I saw the button change to orange from green. Can you tell me what that indicates and if there are other changes? I assume it's some sort of battery indicator since it was the end of a second ride between charges.

Thanks, and Jim's customer service is top notch on a great product!

Gloworm Lights
    Hey Captain Obvious

The start up sequence will also happen with Gloworm battery. It indicates all is good with the wireless receiver and connections internally. If something is wrong the button will stay red.

The button going from green to orange is a basic battery voltage/runtime indicator. More info can be found at www.glowormlites.co.nz/support.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    It's my understanding that the optics for the Alpha and the CX series are interchangeable. Stock optic options listed on Action-LED-Lights website are spot/flood and spot/wide vs. spot/spot and spot/wide for the CX. Is that correct that there are 3 different optic combinations or is it a misprint and the spot/flood and spot/spot are really the same and if they are which is correct? I'd prefer to run a spot/spot for helmet with the Alpha if available.
    Mole

Action LED Lights
    It's my understanding that the optics for the Alpha and the CX series are interchangeable. Stock optic options listed on Action-LED-Lights website are spot/flood and spot/wide vs. spot/spot and spot/wide for the CX. Is that correct that there are 3 different optic combinations or is it a misprint and the spot/flood and spot/spot are really the same and if they are which is correct? I'd prefer to run a spot/spot for helmet with the Alpha if available.
    Mole
    Mole,

I'm not seeing were you picked up a spot/flood option. The options for both are spot/spot and spot/wide.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Mole,

I'm not seeing were you picked up a spot/flood option. The options for both are spot/spot and spot/wide.
    In the Alpha's specifications section the last entry says: 2 optic systems (spot/flood) and (spot/wide). Sounds like spot/spot is correct, YA! Thanks Jim.
    Mole

smartass
    Hey Amish_matt

Cannot say we're happy to hear your experience was less than ideal, but very happy you have let us know.

First of all, drop us a line at [email protected] and we will sort this for you pronto.

Regards to dropping off of the signal, it could be due to a low battery in the remote. We have had a couple of instances where the remote button has been pressed in transit to the customer and therefore has lost a lot of capacity. In this case we have reimbursed the customer the cost of the button cell. By the way the packaging situation has now been resolved.

Either way, drop us an email and we'll solve this situation as fast as we can.

Cheers

Bruce
    Thanks for the follow up, I emailed you.

It was colder, right around freezing, on the last ride than on my prior rides (had no issues on the first two rides). Maybe the colder temps affected the battery?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Lithium batteries don't like the cold. Its something that everyone deals with. My wireless computers hate the cold, I have to rely on phone app only without sensor data once it gets near and below freezing. Wireless remotes use the same type of batteries and react the same way. Only option is to put the remote very near the light head and even then it can be a little glitchy.

Nothing to worry about, its normal for anything that uses those little lithium watch batteries in the cold. Once you warm it back up all will be good again.
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Nothing to worry about, its normal for anything that uses those little lithium watch batteries in the cold. Once you warm it back up all will be good again.
    Just attach it to the light head so it'll warm up- problem solved!

mtbr member
    How long is the cable for the remote on XS? I remember it used to be too short for wider bars. Did it get longer?

mtbr member
    How long is the cable for the remote on XS? I remember it used to be too short for wider bars. Did it get longer?

@jazznova; The length question should no longer be an issue. If in doubt give Jim at ActionLED and he will give you the exact length you need.

@Amish...I've never tried using one of my wireless remotes in the cold but it wouldn't surprise me if there were problems. Small batteries just don't like cold. The smaller the battery ( like button or coin cells ) the more the problem. Hard to say at what temperature you can start to expect problems. If I were to guess I'd guess somewhere in the 45-50°F range...depending on wind, length of exposure and just how new your battery is in the remote. Below 40°F I would definitely expect wireless problems at some point.

If I'm using a lamp for a bar light I'll always prefer a wired remote. For the helmet wireless is nice but if the remote acts up I have no problems using the switch on the lamp. Going forward; If you're going to use a wireless remote on a very cold ride probably a good idea to not mount the remote on the bars until you are at the trail head.

mtbr member
    Alpha came in the mail today. Initial impression no different than the more expensive Gloworm models, nice tiny light with well thought out accessories. Strange to see a Gloworm without a remote mode button but the lighthead mounted mode button functions as good as any I've tried. No ride time tonight but I did run it by my light meter with my 2015 and 2017 X2's for comparison. For the bounce test I had to alter the meter sensor placement from where I normally put it because of the optic/faceplate setup on the Alpha so readings are slightly lower than they would normally be but 2 meter center-beam readings will not be affected. Bounce test Alpha/2015 X2/2017 X2 = 156/186/221 lux and center-beam = 6800/6300/7900 lux. Bounce test results position the lights in order of their claimed lumen amounts but Alpha's longer throwing XPG emitters did allow the less powerful light to out throw (according to light intensity) the 2015 X2. Small size and good throw should make this a good helmet light. Anxious to ride with the Alpha to evaluate beam width + try out the spot/wide optic to see how it will perform on the bars. Looks like this is going to be a nice light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey MrMole, I'll be looking forward to your findings. Since I joined the KS'er for the Outbound lights, I think I'll still need a good helmet light. So your findings will be interesting to me for sure.

mtbr member
    Alpha came in the mail today. Initial impression no different than the more expensive Gloworm models, nice tiny light with well thought out accessories. Strange to see a Gloworm without a remote mode button but the lighthead mounted mode button functions as good as any I've tried. No ride time tonight but I did run it by my light meter with my 2015 and 2017 X2's for comparison. For the bounce test I had to alter the meter sensor placement from where I normally put it because of the optic/faceplate setup on the Alpha so readings are slightly lower than they would normally be but 2 meter center-beam readings will not be affected. Bounce test Alpha/2015 X2/2017 X2 = 156/186/221 lux and center-beam = 6800/6300/7900 lux. Bounce test results position the lights in order of their claimed lumen amounts but Alpha's longer throwing XPG emitters did allow the less powerful light to out throw (according to light intensity) the 2015 X2. Small size and good throw should make this a good helmet light. Anxious to ride with the Alpha to evaluate beam width + try out the spot/wide optic to see how it will perform on the bars. Looks like this is going to be a nice light.
    Mole
    If what you're saying is true than it's possible a 3 or 4-up Alpha version would be even better as a helmet lamp. Still, you haven't tried it on the helmet yet but my CAt gut is telling me that likely the beam pattern ( using spot/spot ) won't be as wide as the new X2's using spot/spot. A 3-up Alpha though would probably give the X2's a run for the money, especially if GW decided to make it compatible with a wireless remote.

mtbr member
    If what you're saying is true than it's possible a 3 or 4-up Alpha version would be even better as a helmet lamp. Still, you haven't tried it on the helmet yet but my CAt gut is telling me that likely the beam pattern ( using spot/spot ) won't be as wide as the new X2's using spot/spot. A 3-up Alpha though would probably give the X2's a run for the money, especially if GW decided to make it compatible with a wireless remote.
    My expectations for beam width are that it will be narrower. May not be ideal depending on your helmet beam preference but using XPG emitters allow the manufacturer to increase throw vs. XML's at a given lumen output. Road test required for both optic setups at this point. This is also my first neutral white tint Gloworm so excited to try this out too.

Don't think we'll be seeing any 3 or 4 emitter Alpha's since this was designed as a lower priced option for Gloworm customers but if they were to make them I'm sure the retrofitable wireless remote upgrade option for the current alpha would work for that too.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Received my Alpha Thursday night and very impressed with the beam/output/formfactor. I may get an off chance to use this, but this will be my daughter’s helmet light replacing an original MS.

Does anyone have instructions or photos of the routing for the GoPro mount using the Velcro strap? In order to be long enough my solution has the strap passing between the foam pad on the base and the helmet. Doesn’t seem right like that. Alternatively, routing it twice under the helmet body doesn’t leave enough length.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Received my Alpha Thursday night and very impressed with the beam/output/formfactor. I may get an off chance to use this, but this will be my daughter’s helmet light replacing an original MS.

Does anyone have instructions or photos of the routing for the GoPro mount using the Velcro strap? In order to be long enough my solution has the strap passing between the foam pad on the base and the helmet. Doesn’t seem right like that. Alternatively, routing it twice under the helmet body doesn’t leave enough length.

What type of helmet will be used? Every helmet is a little different with vent spacing so a picture would help.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .....Does anyone have instructions or photos of the routing for the GoPro mount using the Velcro strap? In order to be long enough my solution has the strap passing between the foam pad on the base and the helmet. Doesn’t seem right like that. Alternatively, routing it twice under the helmet body doesn’t leave enough length.
    If the helmet has an appropriate center rib, then IMO, the cleanest GoPro compatible mounting is the adhesive type.

https://www.glowormlites.co.nz/produ...dhesive-mount/

Be sure to clean the area the pad is to be attached at with some alcohol. Then wait a day or so after mounting the adhesive pad before use for the best bond. Even though it is a peel and stick adhesive, it is acrylic based and the bond strength increases over a few days time. A little pressure(<2 lbs) during this time will add holding power too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR

I’m asking more so about the strap routing pattern and mount rather than anything about the helmet. I understand every helmet is different so I want to know how it was intended. Appears to work best for narrow center rib configuration.

3 of the most used helmets out of 7 in the house have a center vent so wrapping the adjacent ribs requires lots of strap. I may need to find a longer strap and something to plug the vent so the mount sits flat.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ An opportunity to exercise that creativity you know that you have,

mtbr member
    I’m asking more so about the strap routing pattern and mount rather than anything about the helmet. I understand every helmet is different so I want to know how it was intended. Appears to work best for narrow center rib configuration.

3 of the most used helmets out of 7 in the house have a center vent so wrapping the adjacent ribs requires lots of strap. I may need to find a longer strap and something to plug the vent so the mount sits flat.

First you keep mentioning the strap length, there should be a strap for each side (would be a big deal if you were trying to use just one). Not sure if my way was the intended way but worked on 3 center vent helmets for me. Thread the strap from the top down with the velcro towards the inside of the mount. Skipping over the center and next vent out run the strap through the following vent and around the pillar separating it from the next vent out. Pull the strap back to and through the buckle, pull out to tighten and press to attach. Repeat for other side. Was a little different for each helmet depending on the number of vents and placement so you may have to improvise a little but same basic threading.
    Mole

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-004.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-003.jpg

mtbr member
    This is also my first neutral white tint Gloworm so excited to try this out too. Mole
    I've found that I'm running one power level down since I switched my X2/XS combo to neutral white, really extends the battery life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I've found that I'm running one power level down since I switched my X2/XS combo to neutral white, really extends the battery life.
    Since you brought up battery life it's worth mentioning the Alpha only draws 1.45a at its maximum setting. Pretty good for its 1200 lumens but outstanding when you consider its higher center-beam lux numbers than any 1500 lumen light I've tested and those typically require 2.0 - 2.5a to almost equal the alphas throw. Those running 2 cell batteries are going to get a useful bump in runtime. Beam is a little narrower than the X2/XP2/Duo but I never considered it a problem on last nights ride. It's also tiny like the duo and not noticeable weight wise in use. Helmet use/first ride, very positive impression so far.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    First you keep mentioning the strap length, there should be a strap for each side (would be a big deal if you were trying to use just one). Not sure if my way was the intended way but worked on 3 center vent helmets for me. Thread the strap from the top down with the velcro towards the inside of the mount. Skipping over the center and next vent out run the strap through the following vent and around the pillar separating it from the next vent out. Pull the strap back to and through the buckle, pull out to tighten and press to attach. Repeat for other side. Was a little different for each helmet depending on the number of vents and placement so you may have to improvise a little but same basic threading.
    Mole

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	1171469

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1171470
    This was extremely helpful!

I received 2 straps, both approximately the same length, one noticeably wider than the other. Eyeballing it, the wider one appeared to be used with the 2-cell pack for attachment to the helmet. This leaves me with just one strap for the GoPro mount, and where I was having trouble. As you can imagine wrestling one strap where essentially two lengths were required was near impossible. That's why I was thinking that there is some unique routing of the strap with regards to Velcro direction and feed sequence.

I was going Velcro inwards down through the mount, around a single rib of the helmet, up through the other side of the mount, doubling back through the helmet and up through the buckle on the 1st side, back down one more time to cinch it tight and engage the Velcro. Needed 3 hands to do this around even the smallest of ribs and it ended up off center. Figure this couldn't be the proper way.

Seems my options are A) to get a longer strap and use my routing sequence or B) use the 2nd provided strap and get another strap for the battery.

Gloworm Lights
    This was extremely helpful!

I received 2 straps, both approximately the same length, one noticeably wider than the other. Eyeballing it, the wider one appeared to be used with the 2-cell pack for attachment to the helmet. This leaves me with just one strap for the GoPro mount, and where I was having trouble. As you can imagine wrestling one strap where essentially two lengths were required was near impossible. That's why I was thinking that there is some unique routing of the strap with regards to Velcro direction and feed sequence.

I was going Velcro inwards down through the mount, around a single rib of the helmet, up through the other side of the mount, doubling back through the helmet and up through the buckle on the 1st side, back down one more time to cinch it tight and engage the Velcro. Needed 3 hands to do this around even the smallest of ribs and it ended up off center. Figure this couldn't be the proper way.

Seems my options are A) to get a longer strap and use my routing sequence or B) use the 2nd provided strap and get another strap for the battery.
    Sorry team, have been away and have just seen this convo now.

The way it was designed is to thread under the mount, so that the velcro sits between the mount and helmet. This way you only need one strap. The foam on the back of the mount helps with grip, not through the texture of the foam but the soft surface pressing down.

Alternatively as previously mentioned you can also use an adhesive aftermarket mount if you dont mind leavin gthe mount on the helmet.

Cheers!

Bruce

Gloworm Lights
    You're right MRMOLE - it is only 1.45 AMP (at the battery). But 1.79A at the LED. This allows for the difference in voltage between the LEDs and the battery.

mtbr member
    X2 vs Alpha.
    Trying to decide which one would be beter as a helmet light.
    Is there a significant diference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The way it was designed is to thread under the mount, so that the velcro sits between the mount and helmet. This way you only need one strap. The foam on the back of the mount helps with grip, not through the texture of the foam but the soft surface pressing down.
    Cheers!

Bruce
    Thank you too. Validated that I was not going crazy.
    Seems we've got options we didn't even know should/could work.

mtbr member
    Mole
    Since you brought up battery life it's worth mentioning the Alpha only draws 1.45a at its maximum setting. Pretty good for its 1200 lumens but outstanding when you consider its higher center-beam lux numbers than any 1500 lumen light I've tested and those typically require 2.0 - 2.5a to almost equal the alphas throw. Those running 2 cell batteries are going to get a useful bump in runtime. Beam is a little narrower than the X2/XP2/Duo but I never considered it a problem on last nights ride. It's also tiny like the duo and not noticeable weight wise in use. Helmet use/first ride, very positive impression so far.
    Mole
    Alpha on the bars (spot/wide optic): Tried this out a couple of nights ago. Nicely widened the beam without killing the throw (about 75% max lux. of S/S optic) + retained most of it's beam intensity (approx. 90% - bounce test). Made for excellent road beam and adequately for mtn. use too. Compared to my 2017 X2 and similar lights (XP2, Duo) I prefer the wider beam pattern of their XML emitters for bar use so your giving up something here for the Alpha's reduced price. Also rear positioned mode button worked great for helmet use but limited placement options on the bars. I usually mount my Gloworm lights centered in front of the stem but so mounted the stem blocked access to the button requiring the light to be positioned above stem height (and less protected) to switch modes and minimized the usefulness of Gloworm's excellent mounting system. Lopro Vancbiker mount should move the light forward enough to allow adequate clearance (at least with light weight gloves).

Overall I've been impressed with this light. You do give up some features (quality not being one of them) and performance for bar use in consideration for the lower price. For helmet use you loose almost no perceived performance compared to the X2 and considering the low battery current draw to throw ratio the Alpha might be a better performance pick for endurance racers, bikepackers, or anyone looking to get more runtime without having to go with a heavier/more expensive higher capacity battery.

Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 12-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Gloworm Lights
    Alpha on the bars (spot/wide optic): Tried this out a couple of nights ago. Nicely widened the beam without killing the throw (about 75% max lux. of S/S optic) + retained most of it's beam intensity (approx. 90% - bounce test). Made for excellent road beam and adequately for mtn. use too. Compared to my 2017 X2 and similar lights (XP2, Duo) I prefer the wider beam pattern of their XML emitters for bar use so your giving up something here for the Alpha's reduced price. Also rear positioned mode button worked great for helmet use but limited placement options on the bars. I usually mount my Gloworm lights centered in front of the stem but so mounted the stem blocked access to the button requiring the light to be positioned above stem height (and less protected) to switch modes and minimized the usefulness of Gloworm's excellent mounting system. Lopro Vancbiker mount should move the light forward enough to allow adequate clearance (at least with light weight gloves).

Overall I've been impressed with this light. You do give up some features (quality not being one of them) and performance for bar use in consideration for the lower price. For helmet use you loose almost no perceived performance compared to the X2 and considering the low battery current draw to throw ratio the Alpha might be a better performance pick for endurance racers, bikepackers, or anyone looking to get more runtime without having to go with a heavier/more expensive higher capacity battery.

Mole
    Hey Mole

Thanks for these mini reviews/opinion pieces. Its been very interesting to see how the general public perceive this apporach to light design.

Everything you have pointed out are aspects that we thought may have been raised in reviews - this ispositive as it tells us we have a reasonable grip on design! haha

Keep firing stuff through as it will help us with future projects and design tweeks.

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Hey Mole
    Keep firing stuff through as it will help us with future projects and design tweeks.

Cheers

Bruce
    FYI Mode button placement on top of lighthead always preferable to rear/back placement IMO.

My Alpha is a neutral white version. Is there any actual lux loss vs. the cool white ones? Always wondered about this.
    Mole

mtbr member
    FYI Mode button placement on top of lighthead always preferable to rear/back placement IMO.Mole
    esp for helmet mount, only thing holding me back... and I'm an XS/X2 owner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I was all set to bite the bullet and order two X2 with neutral white emitters. Now I'm not so sure. I'm new to night riding, started riding with a group that has weekly night rides after work (gets dark at 4PM in the winter here!). So, I need some lights. Pretty much all my night rides will be on snow, well below freezing. So, the remote doesn't make sense if it doesn't work. Will the Alpha be a better choice? Get an Alpha for the bars and X2 for the helmet?

Bummed I missed out on the Action LED black friday sale...

Thanks for any input!

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I was all set to bite the bullet and order two X2 with neutral white emitters. Now I'm not so sure.
    Snap out of it PRIVATE! Do the right thing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was all set to bite the bullet and order two X2 with neutral white emitters. Now I'm not so sure. I'm new to night riding, started riding with a group that has weekly night rides after work (gets dark at 4PM in the winter here!). So, I need some lights. Pretty much all my night rides will be on snow, well below freezing. So, the remote doesn't make sense if it doesn't work. Will the Alpha be a better choice? Get an Alpha for the bars and X2 for the helmet?

Thanks for any input!
    Neutral white will really help reduce some of the glare off the snow. If the button location is a concern, I have the X2 and actually like the button on the back. It's also much easier to actuate than other buttons I have tried. Even if the remote doesn't work well in the cold, for me it's worth it the rest of the year for ease of use.

mtbr member

Thanks for any input!
    One thing to remember is that the Alpha's advertised price only includes a 2 cell battery. If a good portion of your ride time is in sub-freezing temps. runtimes will be considerably shortened and the larger capacity 4 cell (that comes stock with the X2) would be preferable and minimize price difference somewhat. Also IMO the X2 makes a much better bar light than the Alpha (I own both). Alpha's XPG emitters allow almost equal throw from the less powerful light but also work against it for bar use because of their narrower beam pattern + optic options limit the Alpha to spot/wide where you can run wide/wide with the X2 if desired. Not that the Alpha makes a bad bar light it's just it's not as good as an X2 for this and if I were to run a Alpha/X2 combo I would definitely run the Alpha (S/S optic) on the helmet and the X2 on the bars (S/W or W/W optics).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    One thing to remember is that the Alpha's advertised price only includes a 2 cell battery. If a good portion of your ride time is in sub-freezing temps. runtimes will be considerably shortened and the larger capacity 4 cell (that comes stock with the X2) would be preferable and minimize price difference somewhat. Also IMO the X2 makes a much better bar light than the Alpha (I own both). Alpha's XPG emitters allow almost equal throw from the less powerful light but also work against it for bar use because of their narrower beam pattern + optic options limit the Alpha to spot/wide where you can run wide/wide with the X2 if desired. Not that the Alpha makes a bad bar light it's just it's not as good as an X2 for this and if I were to run a Alpha/X2 combo I would definitely run the Alpha (S/S optic) on the helmet and the X2 on the bars (S/W or W/W optics).
    Mole
    I was planning on getting 4-cell batteries in either case. I wasn't aware the Alpha can be set up S/S. I see the option for S/F and S/W on Action LED's website.

mtbr member
    I wasn't aware the Alpha can be set up S/S. I see the option for S/F and S/W on Action LED's website.
    I asked about that before I ordered my Alpha as only S/S and S/W were offered as replacement optics on the Gloworm website. Alpha comes with S/S installed and extra S/W optic, S/F not available (not sure why it hasn't been changed on the Action site yet). Gloworm mentioned the possibility of W/W being available in the future too.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I asked about that before I ordered my Alpha as only S/S and S/W were offered as replacement optics on the Gloworm website. Alpha comes with S/S installed and extra S/W optic, S/F not available (not sure why it hasn't been changed on the Action site yet). Gloworm mentioned the possibility of W/W being available in the future too.
    Mole

New comer here but just wondering when you talked with actionLED about the wide/wide optic selection for the GL Alpha? I am interested in picking up that exact light after xmas but i am a little unsure now. It was going to be my bar mounted light and use a small led for my head like mj900 or something. But if it's a wide enough angle then all's well. How much of an angle does the spot optics light up? Thanks
    Last edited by Sketch804; 12-21-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot quote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch804 View Post
    New comer here but just wondering when you talked with actionLED about the wide/wide optic selection for the GL Alpha? I am interested in picking up that exact light after xmas but i am a little unsure now. It was going to be my bar mounted light and use a small led for my head like mj900 or something. But if it's a wide enough angle then all's well. How much of an angle does the spot optics light up? Thanks
    Actually Gloworm posted the information about the W/W optic as a possible future option. Alpha comes with both the S/S and S/W optics in both the kit and lighthead only. Not sure how your going to use the light (road or mountain or both?) but with the S/W optic the beam is wide enough for mountain use though I wouldn't call it a flood in that configuration. For bike path or road use the S/W optic is excellent and the S/S works best for helmet use (Alpha's forte). MJ900 you mentioned is a very floody light with little throw, characteristics that favor bar use and generally would be considered a poor choice for helmet use. Better to run the MJ900 on the bars and the Alpha on the helmet. S/S with the alpha I would consider too narrow a beam for bar use.
    Mole

mtbr member
    for those using the lights on your helmet, does it make a big difference to carry the 2-cell instead of 4-cell on your bib pocket, seems like it would make some difference if it's attached to the helmet but if you carry in your pocket using the extension cable, does it make sense to save $30 bucks or so and get the 2 cell instead of the higher capacity battery? weight is almost irrelevant for regular trail riding jra, the size difference seems to be more important and might end up being a hassle to carry in your bib pocket the bigger battery.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    If its not on a helmet it doesnt matter. But at the same time its a matter of run time, 2 cell is only good for shorter rides if you use high modes a lot. Just a fact with any light, doesnt matter which one. 2 cell packs are good if your rides are short, helmet weight reduction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    I've been very impressed with the New Alpha's throw and low battery current draw vs. my 2017 X2 but had only tested the X2 @ 100% where it had a little more max lux @ 2 meters but required a lot more battery current. Playing around in the programming mode I was able to get almost identical max lux reading between the two lights with the X2 set @ 90%. Since more emitters driven less hard are considered more efficient I tested my 2015 XS also.

.................................................. ...............Max. LUX @ 2 Meters...........................Battery current draw

Alpha (100%)............................................ ...........68100.................................. ..............1.46A

2017 X2 (90%)............................................. ........68200..................................... ...........1.94A

2015 XS (70%)............................................. ........72000..................................... ...........1.54A

So for throw vs. battery capacity economy Alpha appears to be considerably better than the 2017/18 X2 and should give a noticeable increase in runtime for the price of a little narrower beam. This (XS data) also seems to support that more emitters driven less hard are more efficient. Pretty nerdy stuff but practical information to consider when choosing a helmet light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    for those using the lights on your helmet, does it make a big difference to carry the 2-cell instead of 4-cell on your bib pocket, seems like it would make some difference if it's attached to the helmet but if you carry in your pocket using the extension cable, does it make sense to save $30 bucks or so and get the 2 cell instead of the higher capacity battery? weight is almost irrelevant for regular trail riding jra, the size difference seems to be more important and might end up being a hassle to carry in your bib pocket the bigger battery.
    I always carry the battery in a jersey or bib pocket and always use a 4 cell so can't give an opinion on 2 vs . 4 cell. What I can recommend is getting a flat 4 cell pack over the usual block of 4. Much less bulky in the pocket. I had HunkLee make mine 2S2P 4x18650.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I always carry the battery in a jersey or bib pocket and always use a 4 cell so can't give an opinion on 2 vs . 4 cell. What I can recommend is getting a flat 4 cell pack over the usual block of 4. Much less bulky in the pocket. I had HunkLee make mine 2S2P 4x18650.
    Another option is to buy two 2-cell batteries and carry both if you think you will ride longer than 2 hours. This way you have less weight either on your helmet or jersey pocket at any one time, assuming of course you carry the spare somewhere other than on your person or on your clothing. This is not hard to do since it would be very easy to strap a spare 2-cell to the frame of your bike. The only downside I see to this is that a 2-cell battery might not be able to provide the current needed if you are using a lamp with more than two emitters and are using the highest output modes. That said there are currently newer cells being sold that not only are higher capacity but able to supply a more stable/higher current output for a longer period. A 2-cell set-up using 20700 Li-ion cells should work right nicely while powering up a good 3-up Cree XM-L2 emitter type lamp.

Personally I use a hydration backpack when mountain biking so carrying a typical 4-cell battery is no big problem. In the future though I'll likely switch to a 2-cell 20700 setup when those become *commercially available. ( *AFAIK, no one is selling 2-cell ( or four cell ) 20700 bike batteries. You can buy the larger cells and make your own though if you have some DIY skills. )

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I'll second this ^. A flat pack 4 cell fits the pocket much better than a square 4 cell pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I'll second this ^. A flat pack 4 cell fits the pocket much better than a square 4 cell pack.
    This for sure - i just got a couple and am looking forward to giving them a try. The flat-4 is a nicer feel in in a jacket or even in a smaller hip hydration pack.

Ed

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Just purchased my first Gloworm the other day. An X2 with a 25% Boxing Day discount...nice! Already on it's way.

Action LED Lights
    I was planning on getting 4-cell batteries in either case. I wasn't aware the Alpha can be set up S/S. I see the option for S/F and S/W on Action LED's website.
    Sorry about that. The Alpha does come with a spot/spot optic installed and a spot/wide in the box. I've corrected the listing.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sorry about that. The Alpha does come with a spot/spot optic installed and a spot/wide in the box. I've corrected the listing.
    Thanks! X2 and Alpha with 4-cell batteries and neutral white emitters ordered. Can't wait to start night riding!

Magically Delicious
    I received my two X2's and 4 cells. I tracked the DHL flight from NZ, through Hong Kong to arrival and landing. It was made easier by looking out of my office window to confirm the flight.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-img_4400-i-crop.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-img_4402-i.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Lost my light after the last night ride. My guess, it's sitting on the side of the road somewhere. Good news is that I wanted a new light as it were.

My previous light was a fluxient 4xR5 rated at 1600 Lumins. Does anyone happen to know how the x2 and alpha compare? My price range is more alpha territory, though if I need to drop the extra cash to match what I had, so be it.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckster View Post
    Lost my light after the last night ride. My guess, it's sitting on the side of the road somewhere. Good news is that I wanted a new light as it were.

My previous light was a fluxient 4xR5 rated at 1600 Lumins. Does anyone happen to know how the x2 and alpha compare? My price range is more alpha territory, though if I need to drop the extra cash to match what I had, so be it.
    Mole has the X2 and Alpha. He's posted about them somewhere, but I don't think I can point you to the exact post. Your search skills may be better than mine. I'm sure he will chime in soon.

mtbr member

Fluxient
    Very wide floody beam with limited throw. 879 actual lumens per 2013 MTBR Light Shootout.

GW Alpha
    Forte of this light is throw distance at the expense of beam width. Beam can be widened using the included spot/wide optic but is still quite a bit narrower than the Fluxient. Preceived throw of the Alpha vs. Fluxient is considerably greater. 1200+ real lumens.

GW X2
    Similar to the Alpha with very slightly more throw and noticeably wider beam, more powerful (1700+ lumens) and more features. As delivered beam is still quite a bit narrower than the Fluxient but with more optic options than the Alpha, the X2 can be made to have an even wider beam than the Fluxient and still be brighter and have more throw because of it's far greater power.

Both Gloworm lights would provide a considerable upgrade in power, quality, mounting systems, adjustability. A lot depends on what your looking for. If you liked the beam pattern of your old light spending the extra money on the X2 would be my advice. Hope this is what you were looking for. Any other questions?
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Perfect, thank you very much. X2 it is.

mtbr member

If you just want something similar to what you had the BT40S comes pretty close. Same basic form factor although with NW emitters.. You can pick these up on Amazon for about $54, including a decent battery. You can also buy these from Gearbest ( China ) for slightly less money but then you have to wait for the shipping which can take about 16 days to over a month.

On the other hand if you want more throw and like the idea of a wireless remote you can go with the X2....but it'll cost 4X as much. Both the Fluxient and BT40S are advertised as 1600 lumen but I'd rate the 40S I have somewhere around 1100 lumen. Still, for the money they are decent lights. ( Recommend for bar use only though ) The Gloworms are great either on the bars or helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    X2 is already on it's way. Maybe put the c.f. on the helmet if it ever goes wireless.

mtbr member
    just got my x2's and have kinda dumb question, which one is the spot and which one is the flood optics. the lights came with a clear and a frosted optics. I'm guessing the clear one is the spot but I'm not entirely sure, since I got a wide/frosted spares.

also I'm guessing people are using a spot/spot for the helmet, how about the bars?
    wide/wide or wide/spot?

thanks!

mtbr member
    just got my x2's and have kinda dumb question, which one is the spot and which one is the flood optics. the lights came with a clear and a frosted optics. I'm guessing the clear one is the spot but I'm not entirely sure, since I got a wide/frosted spares.

also I'm guessing people are using a spot/spot for the helmet, how about the bars?
    wide/wide or wide/spot?

thanks!
    Spot optic is the clear one. Definitely want to replace flood with another spot for helmet use. Lots of factors will affect what works best for you for your bar setup. Best to just experiment. Replace the flood with the wide angle and see how you like it. If you think you want something wider run 2 wide angle's. I've run mine both ways and it really depends on the type of trail as to which one I prefer.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Spot optic is the clear one. Definitely want to replace flood with another spot for helmet use. Lots of factors will affect what works best for you for your bar setup. Best to just experiment. Replace the flood with the wide angle and see how you like it. If you think you want something wider run 2 wide angle's. I've run mine both ways and it really depends on the type of trail as to which one I prefer.
    Mole
    thanks! yeah seems like I will have to reach out to see how I can get a replacement!

mtbr member
    thanks! yeah seems like I will have to reach out to see how I can get a replacement!
    Jim has taken care of everything for me! Outstanding customer service and really fast response on a pre holiday Saturday!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was planning to buy an Alpha (helmet) and x2 (bars). I debating whether to pay the upcharge to change from daylight to neutral on one or both lights. Will switching to neutral reduce the throw of the light? All of my night riding will be on heavily wooded trails. I know it's largely personal preference, but would appreciate input from anyone who has experience with the daylight and/or neutral lenses.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All my older lights were the cool white tint. I always felt they were fine. Then about 4 years ago I tried a neutral white, just to see how it worked. All my cool white lights sit in a box now and I only use the neutral whites. Easier on my eyes and I like that things look more "natural". Cool white does look brighter, but in use it makes no difference for me. My neutral whites light things up 300 feet away quite well.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knoxpossum View Post
    I was planning to buy an Alpha (helmet) and x2 (bars). I debating whether to pay the upcharge to change from daylight to neutral on one or both lights. Will switching to neutral reduce the throw of the light? All of my night riding will be on heavily wooded trails. I know it's largely personal preference, but would appreciate input from anyone who has experience with the daylight and/or neutral lenses.
    I have a hard time seeing trail features even running without neutral whites. Rocks and leaves seem less defined even at slow speeds.

Edit: Post a review of the x2 and alpha. I've considered buying that exact combo or two x2 lights.

mtbr member
    I still use both cool and neutral white but there's no doubt in my mind that neutral white is better. Mixing tints doesn't work very well though so either do (both lights) or don't with the upgrade.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I received my X2 and Alpha neutral w lights on Saturday. I charged the batteries, slapped the X2 on the bars and the Alpha on my helmet and hit the trails. Way more than enough light with both on the lowest setting. This pic makes it appear darker than real life.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-i-xmrljm6-x2.jpg

I was out for 1.5 hours in temps around 0 degrees F. The Alpha battery, wrapped up in my emergency down jacket in my backpack was still at 100% when I got back. The X2 battery was strapped to the top tube, and read 80%. I think I'll try one of those "gas tank" bags that goes on the top tube near the stem, and see if I can insulate the battery in there to see if that helps. In any case, I'm extremely happy with the performance of these lights.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for your feedback, I ordered the Alpha in neutral white. I decided to hold off on the X2 until I get the a chance to use the Alpha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My first Glowworm experience. (alpha)
    Can't seem to find any documentation what the color and number of flashes the power button on the lighthead makes upon plugging in means.

Systematically using, testing, charging, testing...... it seems to show a state of charge of the pack at that instant. Maybe.
    3 or 4 quick red flashes appears to be full charge.
    I've also seen 2 red, then an orange then a green ??

Gloworm Lights
    My first Glowworm experience. (alpha)
    Can't seem to find any documentation what the color and number of flashes the power button on the lighthead makes upon plugging in means.

Systematically using, testing, charging, testing...... it seems to show a state of charge of the pack at that instant. Maybe.
    3 or 4 quick red flashes appears to be full charge.
    I've also seen 2 red, then an orange then a green ??
    Hey BME,

Thanks for the message!

This indication is simply a self test being conducted by the light. It basically indicates that the light is successfully connected to the battery and is ready to go.

The reason for this is that there are two electronic boards within the Alpha - one has the button the other the driver. Due to the way they are connected the indication just tell you that they are communicating properly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bruce and Vag

mtbr member
    Colors look much better with NW.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-img_4430.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm looking at adding either a Gloworm Alpha or a Gemini Xera 950, and I need some clarification on an item.

Some older youtube reviews on the X2 and other Gloworm lights seems to show that the light head itself does not have a button, but that it is remotely controlled by a button that splits off of the cord. Is this how the lights are still designed? I see a button on the back of the Alpha 1200 photos, so does it also have a remote button?

This light will be for my wife, who will use it on two different bikes for commuting. She's currently using an orig. Magicshine MJ-808, and is very used to the simplicity of a quick mount of light and battery before riding. She will not enjoy positioning a third item each and every time she rides...nor keeping a button "base" on her nicer bike when she's not using the light.

If the Alpha 1200 has its controls self contained in the button on the back, with no split in the cable, I'll consider it as an option. I'm simply not interested in upgrading the required effort along with the light.

Thanks,

-Jeremy

Action LED Lights
    Jeremy,
    The new 2018 X2 has both a button on the back of the light and a wireless remote button.
    The Alpha has just the button on the back.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Jeremy,
    The new 2018 X2 has both a button on the back of the light and a wireless remote button.
    The Alpha has just the button on the back.
    Thank you for the quick answer. So since the remote's have moved to wireless, none of the current model lights have the Y-adapter and button built in?

-Jeremy

Action LED Lights
    The XS at this point still has the wired remote button.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    2018 Gloworm X2 with wireless remote- Running this light on my bars with a wide angle and spot. Great for the single track and battery has plenty of juice for my 2-3 hour rides. Good thing they have the single control button on the back of the light because my wireless remote becomes detached about 30 min into the ride. I have reached out for resolution and waiting for next batch of hardware so they can swap out. Previously we tried a new battery did not resolve the issue.

Action LED Lights
    We've gotten complaints about the battery connectors on the new wiring harness being too hard to separate once they have been snapped together. Especially in cold weather. I've worked out a solution to the issue I thought I'd share.
    I take a heat gun (or blow dryer) and heat the boot around the battery plug until it gets a little soft. Then plug the light in to it almost all the way. You want to stop at the point of maximum stretch just before it snaps over. Then let it cool. This gives it a little less interference and the fit is much better. You can then add a little silicone spray or grease to make it slide even better.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Magically Delicious
    I have experienced this and appreciate the proactive advisory. I tried a small amount of silicone grease (Dielectric compound - Dow Corning DC-3) with minimal improvement. I will try the heat gun as directed. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    We've gotten complaints about the battery connectors on the new wiring harness being too hard to separate once they have been snapped together. Especially in cold weather. I've worked out a solution to the issue I thought I'd share.
    I take a heat gun (or blow dryer) and heat the boot around the battery plug until it gets a little soft. Then plug the light in to it almost all the way. You want to stop at the point of maximum stretch just before it snaps over. Then let it cool. This gives it a little less interference and the fit is much better. You can then add a little silicone spray or grease to make it slide even better.
    I noticed this too, it’s pretty bad..
    I was thinking synthetic grease would work but I guess I will have to try the blow dryer trick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Contact grease helps but I think Jim's idea is right on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast