Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Hey All

Well, we've been keeping our lips tight about this one for a while. But, finally, after a lot of testing and tweaking we can leak out some info on the new Gloworm XSV (excessive).

Utilising the 3 x Cree XHP 50.2, we have created an small form factor 3400 lumen lamp that is only slighltly larger than the XS but with 36% more output.

The XHP LED allows us to run the light at very low but efficient currents, meaning that when operating at 2500 lumens it is far more efficient that the XS at the same output.

We'll follow up soon with some more specifics (price, weight, beamshots etc) but for now feel free to ask questions - we'll try to answer them!

Cheers

Bruce and Vag
    Sounds great! Extra lumens are always nice but extra runtime and a more thermally efficient light are far more useful to me at this output level. Curious to what degree the efficiency is improved @ the 2500 lumen level? Also will current optics work with these emitters and if not will we have a selection similar to what's currently available for your other lights? Looking forward to specs. + beamshots.
    Mole

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Sounds great! Extra lumens are always nice but extra runtime and a more thermally efficient light are far more useful to me at this output level. Curious to what degree the efficiency is improved @ the 2500 lumen level? Also will current optics work with these emitters and if not will we have a selection similar to what's currently available for your other lights? Looking forward to specs. + beamshots.
    Mole
    Have you seen this? Cree Product Characterization Tool

One thing to keep in mind is all the XHP.2 series leds have poor colour distribution across the beam. It can be corrected by doing some colour mixing in an optic or orange peeling a reflector but that decreases efficiency a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It will be very interesting to see what Gloworm has come up with.

One thing I found with the first generation XHP emitter was that it took a 35mm or larger optic or reflector to get a nice beam. The large die size did not play well with 20mm optics. Too much light in the foreground and too little throw.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    The XHP LED allows us to run the light at very low but efficient currents, meaning that when operating at 2500 lumens it is far more efficient that the XS at the same output.
    Great news. Can we get logarithmic steps in brightness to cover the range better? And a really low low?

Gloworm Lights
    Mole
    Appx (very appx) you're looking at about 14% (22W vs 19W) more efficient at 2500 lumens. Regards the optics, we made them about 5% larger to get the most out of the LED in relation to the size of the light. We will have a similar selection of optics for this model.

Its worth noting that this light was designed with the purpose of being a bar light with massive spread compared to the other options in the range. The XHPs paired with a small optic gave us the beam we were aiming for which put light out slightly further than the distance of the stock X2. The beam is very even right across the spectrum with not too much light being lost on the ground just in front of the bike.

We're working on some beam shots over the coming couple of weeks......
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Great news. Can we get logarithmic steps in brightness to cover the range better? And a really low low?
    We've been working on a very low low using PWM due to limitations of the boost driver. Works very well!

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    It will be very interesting to see what Gloworm has come up with.

One thing I found with the first generation XHP emitter was that it took a 35mm or larger optic or reflector to get a nice beam. The large die size did not play well with 20mm optics. Too much light in the foreground and too little throw.
    The beam we were aiming for has been designed for the bar and with width in mind - hence why we've chosen the XHP50.2. The beam we have actually looks very nice.

We did some testing with the XHP50 and the beam was completely different and not 'pretty' at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Have you seen this? Cree Product Characterization Tool

One thing to keep in mind is all the XHP.2 series leds have poor colour distribution across the beam. It can be corrected by doing some colour mixing in an optic or orange peeling a reflector but that decreases efficiency a bit.
    Thanks for the link. Nice tool!
    Mole

Rollin 29s

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR

Any details yet on XSV availability date, cost, and assuming it will have the same wireless compatibility as the XS and X2?

Edit: Decided to order the XS and X2 wireless combo with neutral white. That will be more than enough light for me!
    Last edited by isleblue65; 10-28-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Any details yet on XSV availability date, cost, and assuming it will have the same wireless compatibility as the XS and X2?

Edit: Decided to order the XS and X2 wireless combo with neutral white. That will be more than enough light for me!
    Good choice!

THe XSV pricing is still to be finalised but should be ready to order by the end of November.

Will follow up soon with some beam shots!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Sweet!

Rollin 29s

Iím charging my GW batteries for the first time. Are there supposed to be charging indication lights? The outlets are working, but there are no lights on the charger or batteries. What are the indicators that the batteries are charged?

Edit: I located online instructions. Only CX shows battery indicator while charging. XS and X2 need to be plugged into a light head and the light head turned on to indicate state of charge.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by isleblue65; 11-03-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Found instructions online
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Gloworm Lights
    Iím charging my GW batteries for the first time. Are there supposed to be charging indication lights? The outlets are working, but there are no lights on the charger or batteries. What are the indicators that the batteries are charged?

Edit: I located online instructions. Only CX shows battery indicator while charging. XS and X2 need to be plugged into a light head and the light head turned on to indicate state of charge.

Thanks

Hey There - there should be indicator lights whilst charging. However once fully charged the fuel gauge will no longer indicate.

I suspect that is what has happened here - you've left them chargin and come back to check the state of charge and they are not indicating anything?

Please let us know otherwise you may be experiecneing some sort of strange behaviour!

Cheers

Bruce

Rollin 29s

Hey There - there should be indicator lights whilst charging. However once fully charged the fuel gauge will no longer indicate.

I suspect that is what has happened here - you've left them chargin and come back to check the state of charge and they are not indicating anything?

Please let us know otherwise you may be experiecneing some sort of strange behaviour!

Cheers

Bruce
    Hi Bruce,
    Yes, there is now an indicator while charging! My batteries must have arrived to me fully charged because out of the box, I plugged them in and there was nothing. That was confusing to me.

The other thing that was confusing is in the instructions.

This indicates that X series lights show charging indication lights:

The next instructions I found online, at least as I read it, indicated that only the CX shows indication when being charged.

So all seems to be good and working properly. Best of all, the lights were terrific on my first night ride with them last night!

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hi Bruce,
    Yes, there is now an indicator while charging! My batteries must have arrived to me fully charged because out of the box, I plugged them in and there was nothing. That was confusing to me.

The other thing that was confusing is in the instructions.

This indicates that X series lights show charging indication lights:

The next instructions I found online, at least as I read it, indicated that only the CX shows indication when being charged. Tapatalk wonít let me attach a second photo to this post for some reason, so will attach to a second message.

Yes Bruce,
    If there is a weak link with Gloworm it is the conflicting and not up to date instructions and instructional videos. This criticism is only meant to be constructive, Iím sure it is a time consuming task to update that stuff but it truly needs it to help us Gloworm owners.
    Otherwise I love my lights from Gloworm!

Rollin 29s

Edit: Bruce called me and explained to me how to enter programming mode. I was holding the power button when the light was off, which caused the light to reset to factory defaults (10 off/on flashes). I should have first turned on the light and then held the button to enter programming mode. When He walked me through this on the phone, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks for the great personalized customer service Bruce!

Hereís my original message:

Iím very impressed with my Gloworm XS and X2 after two rides so far! Great quality lights that change the game for me in terms of visibility and riding confidence at night.

I would like to also see more clear instructions, which would only enhance ownership of the excellent product.

Are there a different or updated instructions for programming 2018 X series lights than what Iím finding here?

Unless Iím doing something wrong (which is definitely a possibility), following these instructions, a 20 second button hold results in the light flashing off and on 10 times, and it does not go into programming mode. Following the flashing lights, If you quickly press the button twice, it just turns on and goes to the second brightness level. If you press twice at that point, it goes to the brightest and then the lowest level. It is clearly not in program mode. Iíve tried this sequence while paired with the wireless remote and not, but only using the button on the light head. I even tried the fast double click while the 10 flashes were occurring, and I varied the speed of my double clicks.

I canít figure out how to get it to program mode. The same behavior happens in both X2 and XS.

I find the brightness on the X2 between low and mid to be slightly too far apart, and want to lower the mid level a bit.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited by isleblue65; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:18 PM. Reason: Thanks for the call Bruce!
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Does Gloworm offer/use neutral white LEDs or do you have to order through Action LED to get them this way?
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
    Does Gloworm offer/use neutral white LEDs or do you have to order through Action LED to get them this way?
    Only through Action, Gloworm does not offer NW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I would love to hear feedback from gloworm on why not considering the night riding community seems to overwhelming prefer nw. Why not make nw the default?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CopeIt View Post
    I would love to hear feedback from gloworm on why not considering the night riding community seems to overwhelming prefer nw. Why not make nw the default?
    I was told, in so many words, by Gloworm, that they didnít feel it was necessary to change out the emitters. Hopefully Bruce will chime in with a better explanation than I have.

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGT View Post
    I was told, in so many words, by Gloworm, that they didnít feel it was necessary to change out the emitters. Hopefully Bruce will chime in with a better explanation than I have.
    Hey Guys - hopefully this will go some way in letting you know why we haven't turned to NW as standard.

We have been approached only a few times to ask for neutral white - probably due to the fact that Jim offers such a good service.

The question above has also been asked - why don't we just offer NW as standard?

CopeIt has stated that he beleives the riding community overwhelmingly prefer NW. I think this statement is true when referring to the MTBR community but not the mountain community as a whole.

Our lights are marketed to everyone from beginner riders to advanced and very knowledgable cyclists. With a majority of our sales being through distribution channels and local bike shops and not online.

One of the issues with marketing a light with NW LEDs is that at the same lumen output in a cooler colour temp looks less bright. Now I know that brightness is not everything, but when you are selling to the wider market, to those who compare like with like, they look for the brightest and not really the lights that may perform better (in the opinion of some).

So when making a product that is sold to the wider market we have to look at it from a sales/marketing point of view (it is a commercial product after all). So we have taken the decision at this stage to remain with the current colour temp as it is what is understood by a majority of our customers/potential customers and therefore what forms a majority of our sales.

Now, this doesnt mean it is off the table. As I do beleive if we could somehow educate the masses to show them that NW somehow has an advantage over cooler colours, then we may have something and may even be able to treat it as a competitive advantage. But until we come up with that strategy we will continue to run with the status quo.

I hope that helps?

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks Bruce. The answer is what I suspected. Really appreciate the direct response... Makes the decision to buy gloworm easy.
    Hey Guys - hopefully this will go some way in letting you know why we haven't turned to NW as standard.

We have been approached only a few times to ask for neutral white - probably due to the fact that Jim offers such a good service.

The question above has also been asked - why don't we just offer NW as standard?

CopeIt has stated that he beleives the riding community overwhelmingly prefer NW. I think this statement is true when referring to the MTBR community but not the mountain community as a whole.

Our lights are marketed to everyone from beginner riders to advanced and very knowledgable cyclists. With a majority of our sales being through distribution channels and local bike shops and not online.

One of the issues with marketing a light with NW LEDs is that at the same lumen output in a cooler colour temp looks less bright. Now I know that brightness is not everything, but when you are selling to the wider market, to those who compare like with like, they look for the brightest and not really the lights that may perform better (in the opinion of some).

So when making a product that is sold to the wider market we have to look at it from a sales/marketing point of view (it is a commercial product after all). So we have taken the decision at this stage to remain with the current colour temp as it is what is understood by a majority of our customers/potential customers and therefore what forms a majority of our sales.

Now, this doesnt mean it is off the table. As I do beleive if we could somehow educate the masses to show them that NW somehow has an advantage over cooler colours, then we may have something and may even be able to treat it as a competitive advantage. But until we come up with that strategy we will continue to run with the status quo.

I hope that helps?

Cheers

Bruce

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by CopeIt View Post
    Thanks Bruce. The answer is what I suspected. Really appreciate the direct response... Makes the decision to buy gloworm easy.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. It does mean a lot

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

One of the issues with marketing a light with NW LEDs is that at the same lumen output in a cooler colour temp looks less bright.

Bruce
    Is this correct or should it be the opposite - the same lumen output in a WARMER colour temp looks less bright?? Or maybe I have it backwards?

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by Samo831 View Post
    Is this correct or should it be the opposite - the same lumen output in a WARMER colour temp looks less bright?? Or maybe I have it backwards?

I think youíre right. The warm NW LEDs look less bright but show contrast and shadows much more distinctly, and are easier on the eyes.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Can the 25% discount be used for the purchase of one of the 2017's found that are listed at 199 sale price? Thx

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Samo831 View Post

This is always confusing. A higher color Temperature (6500K) is a cooler color. A warm white color is a lower color temperature (4000K) I always have to stop and think before talking about the color of light.

I've been doing some research on light spectrums lately for my other hobby of growing aquatic plants. We think of white light as having the full spectrum in it. But LED light at 6500K has a lot of blue in it and very little green and a low amount of red. When you're in the woods a lot of what's around you is green or brown (brown has a lot of red) So those colors tend to look grey or black. Neutral white has much more green and red so those colors stand out more and you see more detail.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    OK, Gloworm has a 25% off Black Friday sale going and in turn Action-LED-Lights also has the same deal and I'm ordering a new light! No it's not the XSV although that looks like an great bar light. New CX is what I'm adding to the collection. CX always looked interesting to me in the past but couldn't decide between the trail and urban and having been super impressed with my Alpha my dream CX would have been the Urban's XPG-3's with the 1200 lumen output of my Alpha and the larger battery of the Trail which is exactly what the new CX is. Only $5 more than the old Urban + 25% off, I didn't have to think too hard on this. Old Urban/Trail are on sale now for $79/$99 from Action (not sure if 25% off applies to these prices) but I'm getting the one I want (2019). Would have been nice if it had the wireless remote too but hopefully it will be a retrofitable option in the future. Runtimes should be great on this light + you can usb charge while in operation for really long rides.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    OK, Gloworm has a 25% off Black Friday sale going and in turn Action-LED-Lights also has the same deal and I'm ordering a new light! No it's not the XSV although that looks like an great bar light. New CX is what I'm adding to the collection. CX always looked interesting to me in the past but couldn't decide between the trail and urban and having been super impressed with my Alpha my dream CX would have been the Urban's XPG-3's with the 1200 lumen output of my Alpha and the larger battery of the Trail which is exactly what the new CX is. Only $5 more than the old Urban + 25% off, I didn't have to think too hard on this. Old Urban/Trail are on sale now for $79/$99 from Action (not sure if 25% off applies to these prices) but I'm getting the one I want (2019). Would have been nice if it had the wireless remote too but hopefully it will be a retrofitable option in the future. Runtimes should be great on this light + you can usb charge while in operation for really long rides.
    Mole

XSV is pricey yikes! Any option for NW on the new CX?

mtbr member
    Jim did the NW conversion on my Alpha so my assumption is the same is possible with the new CX. Guess I can't order till I contact Jim though.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Jim did the NW conversion on my Alpha so my assumption is the same is possible with the new CX. Guess I can't order till I contact Jim though.
    Mole
    No option at purchase which had me wondering.

Action LED Lights
    No option at purchase which had me wondering.

Yes, we can change the new CX to Neutral White.
    Iíve just added in that option.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Action LED Lights
    Yes, but you can pre-order with the Blackfriday18 25% discount.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Jim did the NW conversion on my Alpha so my assumption is the same is possible with the new CX. Mole

Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Yes, but you can pre-order with the Blackfriday18 25% discount.
    very tempting.... Jim, if you're selling many lights in Folsom/Roseville/Granite Bay, CA it's because they were blown away by my 2014 Gloworm X2/XS combo!

mtbr member
    Yes, we can change the new CX to Neutral White.
    Iíve just added in that option.
    Thanks Jim! Will put the order in tomorrow morning.

I also have a couple of questions. I was trying to help another member in another thread find a light for a 24 hr. race but he stipulated he didn't want any internet only lights just ones he could get in a bike shop. Even though Gloworm's would normally be something I would recommend I didn't because I never see them in shops. Thinking about it there's not any reason any LBS couldn't sell Gloworms is there or are there some shops that already do and I just don't know about them? It's also been a long time since I've seen anything new tested on your beam comparison page, are you not doing that anymore?
    Mole

2ac
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Iím wanting to preorder the XSV but the discount code isnít working for me.

Also, can a big step down in output be expected when choosing NW? Iíd like the neutral option, but Iíll stick with white light, if it means keeping a few hundred more lumens.
    Last edited by 2ac; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ac View Post
    Looks like there's a glitch or two in the system. I tried to order a new CX and when I selected the neutral white option the "add to cart" button changed to "sold out" and wouldn't allow me to select the item. I didn't get to try the discount code but am sure these problems will be quickly fixed.
    Mole

***Was looking at the email I got and is clearly shows discount doesn't start till tomorrow. Black Friday Sale doesn't start till Black Friday, makes sense***

Action LED Lights
    Looks like there's a glitch or two in the system. I tried to order a new CX and when I selected the neutral white option the "add to cart" button changed to "sold out" and wouldn't allow me to select the item. I didn't get to try the discount code but am sure these problems will be quickly fixed.
    Mole

***Was looking at the email I got and is clearly shows discount doesn't start till tomorrow. Black Friday Sale doesn't start till Black Friday, makes sense***
    MRMOLE, My mistake on the out of stock. It should work now.
    You can use the code BLACKFRIDAYVIP if you want to order today.

For your friend asking about local shops. The number of shops carrying Gloworm light is growing all the time. If his favorite shop doesn't have them they can contact glowormlites.us to get signed up.

About the beam shot test. We moved our warehouse last year and lost the space for beam testing. (plus we've been extra busy) I might just have to set up outdoors at night to get some of the new lights tested once the XSV arrives.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Action LED Lights

Also, can a big step down in output be expected when choosing NW? Iíd like the neutral option, but Iíll stick with white light, if it means keeping a few hundred more lumens.
    I just checked the CREE spec sheet and depending on which part number we can actually get here in the US there will be little or no drop in lumens for neutral white (though the perceived brightness is usually less)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

2ac
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks for the response fellas, and I got excited and missed the discount timeframe! But thank you for the alternative code

mtbr member
    MRMOLE, My mistake on the out of stock. It should work now.
    You can use the code BLACKFRIDAYVIP if you want to order today.

For your friend asking about local shops. The number of shops carrying Gloworm light is growing all the time. If his favorite shop doesn't have them they can contact glowormlites.us to get signed up.

About the beam shot test. We moved our warehouse last year and lost the space for beam testing. (plus we've been extra busy) I might just have to set up outdoors at night to get some of the new lights tested once the XSV arrives.
    Thanks Jim. Useful information for future use. I've been doing a lot of self-contained testing lately so quite excited about the new CX.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the response fellas, and I got excited and missed the discount timeframe! But thank you for the alternative code
    Missed the discount timeframe? Itís Nov. 23-26 correct?

2ac
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Missed the discount timeframe? Itís Nov. 23-26 correct?
    Yes, I meant I misread, or basically didnít read that part of the email.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, I meant I misread, or basically didnít read that part of the email.
    Ahh lol. It is exciting news. Love Gloworm products...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just got my Gloworm X2 and XS from Action LED and had the NW upgrade and the 25% off. Holy BALLS does the NW make a difference compared to my old blueish LEDs. It was like going from black and white to color out in the woods.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

2ac
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Iíd normally want the NW, but if Iím understanding it right, the new XSV is designed around the new Cree XHP-50.2 LED emitters. I wonder if changing to NW wouldnít be the best idea...?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Iíd normally want the NW, but if Iím understanding it right, the new XSV is designed around the new Cree XHP-50.2 LED emitters. I wonder if changing to NW wouldnít be the best idea...?
    Depends on what version of the emitter Gloworm will use. That emitter is available in a wide range. As cool as 7000k which is very much on the bluish end of the chromaticity scale. The 5000k which is on the cooler end of NW is the highest output version. A 3C in that emitter would be a really good choice.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

2ac
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Depends on what version of the emitter Gloworm will use. That emitter is available in a wide range. As cool as 7000k which is very much on the bluish end of the chromaticity scale. The 5000k which is on the cooler end of NW is the highest output version. A 3C in that emitter would be a really good choice.
    Iím thinking the fail safe way for today is grab the daylight at 25% off, as I can always have the led changed out once itís been sorted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just got my Gloworm X2 and XS from Action LED and had the NW upgrade and the 25% off. Holy BALLS does the NW make a difference compared to my old blueish LEDs. It was like going from black and white to color out in the woods.
    Have the same, totally agree, much more true to life color. In snow it is even more pronounced without that blue glare.

mtbr member
    Agree. Also I run about one stop lower in brightness with NW, can do a 2-2.5hr ride with 2 cell battery pack.

I quit e-MTBR
    All the info in this read has been great for helping me decide what to get, thank everyone and especially Mole.

I do a year-round weekly nightride with a pretty quick group. I had a Yinding on the helmet and an Amazon cheapie on the bars. I've had a few other lights over the years, notably a Lupine Piko. When the Yinding gave up the ghost, I opted for an X2 from Action-LED. I got it with CW because no one in the group I ride with has NW.

Very happy with the X2. I'm not super-picky about lights, but the improvement from the Yinding is quite noticeable. The wireless remote is easy and reliable (although I haven't tried it in the cold yet) and the 2-cell battery gets me through my ~2-hr rides.

Beware: the remote attaches with a standard band, and mine came off while driving with my bike on a rack. Lucky for me Action-LED sells replacement remotes.

I jumped on the current black friday 25% discount to pick up an Alpha kit for the bars, which I plan to run w/w. Should be a nice upgrade too.

My experience with Action-LED has been positive, too--consistently quick, helpful responses anytime anything has come up.

Anyhow, figured I'd post my good experience as another data point for others thinking about what and where to buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    All the info in this read has been great for helping me decide what to get, thank everyone and especially Mole.

I do a year-round weekly nightride with a pretty quick group. I had a Yinding on the helmet and an Amazon cheapie on the bars. I've had a few other lights over the years, notably a Lupine Piko. When the Yinding gave up the ghost, I opted for an X2 from Action-LED. I got it with CW because no one in the group I ride with has NW.

Very happy with the X2. I'm not super-picky about lights, but the improvement from the Yinding is quite noticeable. The wireless remote is easy and reliable (although I haven't tried it in the cold yet) and the 2-cell battery gets me through my ~2-hr rides.

Beware: the remote attaches with a standard band, and mine came off while driving with my bike on a rack. Lucky for me Action-LED sells replacement remotes.

I jumped on the current black friday 25% discount to pick up an Alpha kit for the bars, which I plan to run w/w. Should be a nice upgrade too.

My experience with Action-LED has been positive, too--consistently quick, helpful responses anytime anything has come up.

Anyhow, figured I'd post my good experience as another data point for others thinking about what and where to buy.
    How do you like the Lupine Piko compared to the X2? Specifically size and weight? The X2 has been an awesome bike light, but I'm looking for something lighter but still powerful for trail running.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Agree. Also I run about one stop lower in brightness with NW, can do a 2-2.5hr ride with 2 cell battery pack.
    Thatís what I do. The flexibility with programming is amazing with Gloworm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Question with the X series... when the battery gets low, does the light automatically switch out of the high output modes? IE, out riding last night, near end of battery. Normally on my X2, I have three levels available in Trail mode. When the battery is low, I only get two levels, the third ďclickĒ doesnít change the light. Three clicks, two levels.

When I swap to a fresh battery, this behavior goes back to ďnormalĒ - three clicks, three levels.

I assume this is normal? Just making sure.

PS... the lights are awesome. Love them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DAK656 View Post
    Question with the X series... when the battery gets low, does the light automatically switch out of the high output modes? IE, out riding last night, near end of battery. Normally on my X2, I have three levels available in Trail mode. When the battery is low, I only get two levels, the third ďclickĒ doesnít change the light. Three clicks, two levels.

When I swap to a fresh battery, this behavior goes back to ďnormalĒ - three clicks, three levels.

I assume this is normal? Just making sure.

PS... the lights are awesome. Love them.
    Yes, my X2 does the same.

mtbr member
    Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-delivery.jpg
    CX on its way . Excited and a little nervous too. Previous CX trail is one of the few Gloworm lights I've seen meh reviews on. 2019 changes were things I would have wished for and if it ends up being a self-contained Alpha I'll be happy with it. We'll find out soon!
    Mole

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAnotherClimb View Post
    Yes, my X2 does the same.
    This morning was the first time my X2 battery power went down enough to also observe this behavior. I also see that when the battery is low when turning the light on, it initially flashes low to medium for several seconds. Thatís a great feature to alert you that the battery is very low!

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    CX on its way . Excited and a little nervous too. Previous CX trail is one of the few Gloworm lights I've seen meh reviews on. 2019 changes were things I would have wished for and if it ends up being a self-contained Alpha I'll be happy with it. We'll find out soon!
    Mole
    Sweet Mole,
    I have the Alpha NW with 2 cell on its way. Ordered the car charger as well for those on the go charging scenarios.

mtbr member
    Sweet Mole,
    I have the Alpha NW with 2 cell on its way. Ordered the car charger as well for those on the go charging scenarios.
    Prepare to be shocked how quickly the batteries charge after a ride. Even after having the light for a while it still feels unnatural.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Got my X2 Adventure yesterday, what a sweet light. My only gripe is that it's a huge PITA to get it into Program Mode!

Turned on the light, went to the middle setting to adjust it, double click the button and nothing. Been trying all morning, was able to somehow setup the low mode but can't seem to get it back into program mode for the middle brightness. Ugh.

Edit: Called Action and spoke to Jim. I was apparently looking at the wrong set of directions. He got me straightened out and I was able to program the middle setting to my needs. Thanks Jim!!

For anyone wondering or having some issues getting into Program Mode, this is how you do it:

1) Turn the light on.
    2) Hold down the button for 20 seconds, the light will turn off then back on.
    3) Get to the level to be programmed, then double click the button. You should see 2 quick flashes of the light indicating it's ready to be programmed.
    4) Set the brightness level. Single click increases the brightness by 10%, holding down the button decreases the brightness by 10%.
    5) Double click the button to set brightness, it will flash twice to indicate it's set.
    6) Turn off the light as normal, 5 second hold of the button.

That should be it.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post
    Got my X2 Adventure yesterday, what a sweet light. My only gripe is that it's a huge PITA to get it into Program Mode!

Turned on the light, went to the middle setting to adjust it, double click the button and nothing. Been trying all morning, was able to somehow setup the low mode but can't seem to get it back into program mode for the middle brightness. Ugh.

Edit: Called Action and spoke to Jim. I was apparently looking at the wrong set of directions. He got me straightened out and I was able to program the middle setting to my needs. Thanks Jim!!

For anyone wondering or having some issues getting into Program Mode, this is how you do it:

1) Turn the light on.
    2) Hold down the button for 20 seconds, the light will turn off then back on.
    3) Get to the level to be programmed, then double click the button. You should see 2 quick flashes of the light indicating it's ready to be programmed.
    4) Set the brightness level. Single click increases the brightness by 10%, holding down the button decreases the brightness by 10%.
    5) Double click the button to set brightness, it will flash twice to indicate it's set.
    6) Turn off the light as normal, 5 second hold of the button.

That should be it.
    Hey Chad

Thanks for your feedback on this. Our previous user interface was criticised heavily for being able to access program mode accidently. We changed it recently to the process you mentioned above. Honestly we have only had two occasions when users have provided negative feedback. Just so you know the history!

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hey Chad

Thanks for your feedback on this. Our previous user interface was criticised heavily for being able to access program mode accidently. We changed it recently to the process you mentioned above. Honestly we have only had two occasions when users have provided negative feedback. Just so you know the history!

Cheers

Bruce
    No worries Bruce! It's actually a simple process once. I totally understand changing it around if people were mistakenly entering into program mode.

BTW, this light is freaking awesome! So bright that I was riding at the medium brightness most of the night lol. Love it.

Curious, you guys going to have the travel cases back in stock anytime soon?
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

Rollin 29s
    I agree, the X2 and XS are amazing. Iíve been running them on low for the whole climbing portion of my rides, and this morning I realized that I can easily program my X2 helmet light to run a lower power on the lowest setting. Itís still super bright! Thatís the beauty of the programmability.

The wireless remote is beautiful as well. This morning as I was flying down a rocky technical section of the trail, I wanted more light. Being able to keep both hands tightly on the bars while changing my helmet and bar light brightness independently with one finger is really great! Before the Gloworm lights, I had to carefully decide my light settings at the top because there was no possibility of making adjustments without stopping or slowing way down on rocky sections.

Natural white is so so nice as well!

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    CX finally arrived today while I was out riding. I just got a chance to open the box and turn it on. All I can say so far is nice looking light, wow it sure comes with a lot of extra stuff, and the top mouinted mode button has a very nice light action and positive feel to it so first for the button. Much more to follow!

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-003.jpg

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-007.jpg

mtbr member

CX first ride

First ride was educational. I ran the light with the double spot optic which provided excellent throw and a fairly narrow beam (just like my Alpha). As I mentioned in the last post the mode button is an awesome 1 finger to operate affair (nice feature that makes the light a joy to operate). Mounts I'm not sure about yet. I'd read other reviews on previous CX models that mentioned the Garmin style mount lacked stability which I agree with. Gopro adapter works much better but need to get a good rough mtn. ride in before I make my mind up. Normally I really like the Gloworm mounts and I didn't have any trouble on the ride but I'm concerned the weight of the light might be pushing the limit of what the mount can handle "gracefully".

Now for the educational part. Was surprised/disappointed how quickly the battery life indicator changed colors as long runtimes were what I expected the standout feature of this light would be. I actually had to cut my ride short and ended up doing the last couple of miles with a flashing red indicator, WTF. I had plugged the light into the charger the previous night and it showed a green light which I assumed meant it was fully charged (wrong!). I've owned several Gloworm lights (but never a Gloworm battery) so figured I didn't need to read the operating instructions (wrong again). After looking up the charging instructions I now realize the green indicator only meant it was more than 40% charged and will flash green when fully charged. Operator error strikes again, lesson learned. Next time I go out will be doing actual testing of battery capacity not my lack of good judgement! Also want to get some light meter reading off the CX though expect them to mirror the readings of my Alpha (which is a good thing).
    Mole

mtbr member

CX - 2nd ride

Last night's ride with the CX was one of my weekday after dinner rides that totals 34 mi. of pretty much all paved MUP. Charging the battery correctly gave me more expected results as there was no change in the battery indicator light for the whole ride and charging afterwards still showed battery charge level in the 40-99% range. I also reset the presets from the default of 30/60/100 to 40/70/100 to allow a little more usage of the lowest setting. That worked for the S/S optic I'm currently running but may require another adjustment when I switch to the S/W which I think will be more useful for how I plan on using this light. I also have owned a Alpha for a while so am familiar with how these optic work. S/S would be my choice for helmet use or fast road riding but has more throw than I need typically and the additional beam width of the S/W will be more useful/comfortable for side street/MUP use. Any off road use would only be done with the W/W optic. Time will tell but looks like this is going to be a very nice self-contained light especially for those who use their lights frequently and for longer periods of time. More to come!
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 3 Days Ago at 02:42 PM.

Gloworm Lights
    Last night's ride with the CX was one of my weekday after dinner rides that totals 34 mi. of pretty much all paved MUP. Charging the battery correctly gave me more expected results as there was no change in the battery indicator light for the whole ride and charging afterwards still showed battery charge level in the 40-99% range. I also reset the presets from the default of 30/60/100 to 40/70/100 to allow a little more usage of the lowest setting. That worked for the S/S optic I'm currently running but may require another adjustment when I switch to the S/W which I think will be more useful for how I plan on using this light. I also have owned a Alpha for a while so am familiar with how these optic work. S/S would be my choice for helmet use or fast road riding but has more throw than I need typically and the additional beam width of the S/W will be more useful/comfortable for side street/MUP use. Any off road use would only be done with the W/W optic. Time will tell but looks like this is going to be a very nice self-contained light especially for those who use their lights frequently and for longer periods of time. More to come!
    Mole
    Hey Mole

Thanks for the updates on how you are using our products, the pros and cons in your eyes. Its all very valuable info.

Thumbs up!

Bruce

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Sad day. Finally got to use my lights for the first time. Loaned one to my friend so we could both go out. He promptly wrecked and severely scraped up the housing on some rocks. Pretty bad over the bars wreck scraping the light down a rock ledge.

Light still functions flawlessly but looks pretty rough. Disappointed to have happen before I even used it myself but an opportunity to upgrade to a bigger light. Pretty amazing the light is still functioning!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey Mole

Thanks for the updates on how you are using our products, the pros and cons in your eyes. Its all very valuable info.

Thumbs up!

Bruce
    More user feedback here. I have an Alpha for helmet use off road, and really dig everything about that light, with the exception of lens choice. The spots are too spotty, and the wides are too compressed top to bottom for helmet use IME. Iíve tried all three, S/S, S/W, and W/W, but none have the smoothness and coverage of the Flood lens offered on the X1 and X2.

Any chance youíll offer a Flood lens option for the Alpha?

mtbr member
    I finally got a chance to get some light meter testing done on the CX. Timing worked out well as "wetestlights.com" added tests on the similar rated Bontrager Ion 1300 and Nightrider Lumina 1200. I also ran the tests side by side with my Wiz20 but for any future reference I make to that light you need to take into account it is a 2 yr. old light with original batteries. So as shown on the chart below the CX was able to maintain 1000+ lumens for the first 2 hrs., faded to just under 600 lumens @ 2.5 hrs., and I ran it another 15 minutes after that with a final output of just over 150 lunens.

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-bvnvg.jpg

Red line represents the output curve of the Gloworm CX and as you can see they all start out about the same but from initial turn on the CX out powers and out lasts both the single cell lights handicapped by lower battery capacity. Extra battery capacity also means the CX weighs in about 60 grams more. Price of the CX is also higher but once you factor in the extra cost of a helmet mount that's only included with the Gloworm and the extra optic and how much nicer the mode button ease of use and feel is + the additional performance the CX looks like a better deal to me.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just came across Gloworm in my search for a new light. Missed the BLACKFRIDAY Sale.
    Are there any other discounts out there? Or are you guys aware of other sales coming up?

Magically Delicious

X2 Wireless Remote Switch Problems Continue...

Unfortunately, my problems with the wireless remote switch seems to plague me. I continue to have remote switch problems controlling my pair of X2's. After having both of my light heads swapped out in hopes of getting my remote switching back as intended, I continue having issues. Most of the time, I can initially pair up the lights when connecting the battery to the switch, but after a short period of riding, I have no remote switching control. I thought this was simply a weak battery so I replaced the batteries, but no joy. On occasion while riding, I might get one lamp to work from the remote switch, but not both.

The wireless remote switch was my predominate reason for purchasing these lights. I really like these lights for numerous reasons, but I have continually disappointed by the problems experienced with the remote switching. I will say that I have been exceptionally pleased with the outstanding customer support from Bruce (NewZeland Gloworm and Jim at Action LED). I don't where to go next. I guess I will continue to use these by using the manual switch on the light head.

Any suggestions?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Unfortunately, my problems with the wireless remote switch seems to plague me. I continue to have remote switch problems controlling my pair of X2's. After having both of my light heads swapped out in hopes of getting my remote switching back as intended, I continue having issues. Most of the time, I can initially pair up the lights when connecting the battery to the switch, but after a short period of riding, I have no remote switching control. I thought this was simply a weak battery so I replaced the batteries, but no joy. On occasion while riding, I might get one lamp to work from the remote switch, but not both.

The wireless remote switch was my predominate reason for purchasing these lights. I really like these lights for numerous reasons, but I have continually disappointed by the problems experienced with the remote switching. I will say that I have been exceptionally pleased with the outstanding customer support from Bruce (NewZeland Gloworm and Jim at Action LED). I don't where to go next. I guess I will continue to use these by using the manual switch on the light head.

Any suggestions?
    You got a remote switch with each X2 lightset. Do both have the same issue?
    Have you asked for a replacement remote switch?

If you have eliminated the light heads as the issue, it would have to be the remote switch or some kind of interference of the signal.

The wireless remote was a primary motive for me too, and mine have worked flawlessly with the wireless remote.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member

Additional mount stability

Gloworm Lights back on MTBR-005.jpg

I've been a little concerned this CX light's stability on really rough ground (not yet tried). It hasn't moved on me yet on smoother surfaces which is helped by its good balance over the mount (shown) but tightened as tight as I can get it with my fingers the vertical aim will change with not much more force than what's needed to change modes. I tried one of my "Vancbiker" mounts which worked much better but also noticed how smooth and shiny the Gopro adapter surfaces were so I roughed the surface up with this file. Made a Biiig difference and I think it will be enough but need to do a real mtn. ride to confirm.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aredemann View Post
    Just came across Gloworm in my search for a new light. Missed the BLACKFRIDAY Sale.
    Are there any other discounts out there? Or are you guys aware of other sales coming up?
    I got an email from Jenson USA today that had a 20% off code (SAVE20) for a single full priced item. Hope you get to take advantage of it for your new light!
    Mole

Gloworm Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post

Any suggestions?
    Hey

Drop me an email at bruce.davey@glowormlites.co.nz with your number. I'll give you a call and see if we can solve the issue. Hopefully its something simple.

Cheers

Bruce

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234