Geoman recall battery performance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Geoman recall battery performance

To those who have received their "recall" replacement battery from Geoman, can you please comment on how much run-time you are getting on High mode? I use High mode exclusively at night on my Magicshine 900 headlight, and I presume many other bicyclists do too.

I ask this question because my "recall" battery yields only about 2 hrs run-time on High.

The two batteries I got from Geoman in 2009/2010 would go 3.5 hrs on High Mode when new. The battery I got from Nova Bike Lights on eBay still goes 3.5 hrs on High even after 6+ months and 75+ recharging cycles. None of these 3 batteries required any special conditioning to achieve this performance from the first time used.

Magicshine specified a 3 hr run-time on High mode for these 4400ma batteries, likewise for the GMG 4500ma battery.

I realize that sometimes new batteries need to go through a few charge/discharge cycles to reach maximum performance, but my Geoman recall battery is giving me only 120-130 minutes run-time consistently after 3 cycles now, and I'm starting to think I got a dud.

Thanks in advance for useful feedback.

mtbr member
    Since you've not had any problems with the other batteries you own I doubt the charger is a problem. If the new battery is suppose to get over 3hrs on high I would contact Geoman via e-mail and try to arrange a replacement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am getting just over 3+ hours on HIGH with both of my new Geoman batteries. The only odd thing is that one of the light indicators will turn to "RED" after 2 hours but the light will burn bright for another hour before the indicator starts blinking Red... then the light goes off in about 10 more minutes.

mtbr member
    Seeker, Any follow up on the Geoman battery problem? Just asking because yours is the first reported "New" Geoman battery that is having a problem. ( as far as I know ).

To me it almost sounds as if half the battery is not functioning. Could be just a loose wire somewhere on the PCB connections. If this is true it could present a danger if the entire charge current is going through only half the battery. If you notice any warming of the battery when charging be sure to isolate the battery when charging.

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if Seeker is going by the light indicators or the battery running out. the battery indicators on some of the MS light heads don't read accurately with these batteries, I think this was covered in another thread like MOM said hers go's red and she still gets another hour, I wouldn't know personally as I upgraded to the 6.0s and I rarely get out of blue. http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=284
    Last edited by Rakuman; 06-15-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMtbiker View Post
    I am getting just over 3+ hours on HIGH with both of my new Geoman batteries. The only odd thing is that one of the light indicators will turn to "RED" after 2 hours but the light will burn bright for another hour before the indicator starts blinking Red... then the light goes off in about 10 more minutes.
    I'm using the recall battery with a newer-generation MS900, the one with the green-blue-yellow-red-flashing red voltage indicator.

On my good batteries, I'll stay green for ~50", then blue for 50", then yellow for 50", then red for 50", then flashing red for 5-10", then automatically switches to off - just like the control circuit is supposed to work.

On the GMG recall battery, I'm green for perhaps 20", then blue for 20", yellow for 80", red for a few minutes, then it's off.

So, it's as if the recall battery charges to normal voltage, rapidly declines to a lower voltage state where I get most of the run-time, then off due to reaching the low voltage cut-off level.

MOMtbiker, your batteries actually sound pretty good - I'd be happy with 3 hrs run time. IIRC, on my first-gen MS900 I would stay green for 2.5 hrs, then red for 0.5-1.0 hr.

mtbr member
    Yup sounds like you got a dud Gman will take care of you just hit him up.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just received two replacements today. Popped them on the chargers - and both charger lights remain green - not red as expected if in charging state. Put them on the lightheads to make sure they were not already fully charged and the light heads show red. What gives? Anybody had this happen? Will follow up with geo if no one assures me this is for some reason normal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrestroller View Post
    I just received two replacements today. Popped them on the chargers - and both charger lights remain green - not red as expected if in charging state. Put them on the lightheads to make sure they were not already fully charged and the light heads show red. What gives? Anybody had this happen? Will follow up with geo if no one assures me this is for some reason normal.
    If you are using the original charger, that may be the problem. The same thing happened to me, and I contacted Geoman. Geoman said some of the older chargers don't work with the new batteries (not a quote, but a paraphrase). He sent me out a replacement charger free of charge.

The new charger works fine, but I'm a little concerned about the run time (from green to red on the LED, not time to actual shutoff). I get about 40 mins on high, with another 40 on SOS, then the LED is red.

I know there have been some issues with the lighthead accurately reading the new battery, so perhaps there's plenty of juice left even with the red LED indicator.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrestroller View Post
    Since I don't own one of the Geoman batteries I couldn't help but think that maybe this might be a problem with connector compatibility (?) ( the new battery and the old charger/ old lighthead) It's time's like this when owning a multimeter comes in real handy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Geoman is shipping me new chargers. Despite small annoyance at the delay in the recall process - I'm still pretty stoked with their customer service.