Gemini Lights USA- Mtbr.com
    Gemini Lights

Gemini Lights USA

Hi everyone,

Iím James from the Gemini Lights team based in Southern California. I wanted to introduce myself as a resource here for anything Gemini. Feel free to shoot me any questions about our lights. Technical questions, comments, and feedback are welcome too. Thanks and have a great day!

James

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey James. I think one question I know a few members would like to know is, the new neutral tint leds going into production,,, can you confirm if they are going to be the same bin used on some pre production lamps? One member here did a review and found the tint a little cooler than some other offerings claiming (neutral) tint. Can you confirm bin or at least the Kelvin?

Gemini Lights
    Thanks for your question. The new models will indeed get neutral white emitters @4900K as seen in some pre-production lamps you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx for the info!! Cheers!!

mtbr member
    James, is this the same emitter tint as the pre-production Duo I have or is the 4900K ( kelvin ) emitter a decided change?

Gemini Lights
    Hi Cat, the new production lamps will get 4900K emitters which are a tad warmer than the pre-production lamps you tested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Lights View Post
    Hi Cat, the new production lamps will get 4900K emitters which are a tad warmer than the pre-production lamps you tested.
    Is there any ETA on when these new emitters will be available from Gemini Lights

Thanks,
    Victor

Gemini Lights
    Hi Victor, no hard ETA at the moment but we'll keep you all posted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Can you compare the quality of your batteries to the hardcase, non smart core batteries from lupine, as far as safety, weather and waterproofing, durability, especially from impacts, and longevity?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lighty View Post
    Can you compare the quality of your batteries to the hardcase, non smart core batteries from lupine, as far as safety, weather and waterproofing, durability, especially from impacts, and longevity?
    Seeing as your directing your question to someone who deals with Gemini only I'm not sure he will be helpful.

I have been using Lupine products for six years and Gemini for about five years. Unless the two brands of battery's are lab tested for comparison you can only guestimate. In my experience the Gemini battery's have passed all tests. I'm still using four year old battery's that still perform well. It rains a lot where I live, and although I try not to make a habit of crashing the battery's have held up there too.

In summery, although I think the Lupine battery may have an edge, the Gemini battery's use high quality cells and will work fine. Maybe be better for you anyway if your still looking for a battery for your DS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    What all regulation and ratings do the gemini batteries have? And how exactlynare the pouch batteries constructed? Do they have a hard case in the pouch?

RAKC
    Li-Ion battery packs are not regulated. They never are. All their battery packs have their capacity ratings posted for them.

Doesn't matter who makes the pack, if they use quality cells the only differences are hard case or soft rubber with pouch. And whether or not they have a built it "fuel gauge" They all have a protection circuit.

That's it. Nothing more. Definitely over thinking the battery pack issue . Just buy one and go. And if your worried about the cable pulling out don't do like most guys and let the entire length of cable of light and battery just hang, flapping in the wind. Use Velcro straps to secure access slack. supposed to do that anyway, never a good idea to leave wires flopping around loose more than is needed

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    What about balancing?

RAKC
    Doesnt exist any pack that I know of. That's the point of using quality battery packs. They are balanced during assembly and they stay that way for years.

Action LED Lights
    There may be some slight difference in the efficiency of the protection circuit but I expect it is pretty small. I've tested a few packs with and without the circuit and the same cells gave a somewhat higher capacity without.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Doesnt exist any pack that I know of. That's the point of using quality battery packs. They are balanced during assembly and they stay that way for years.

Lupine's smartcore battery's have a self balancing mode. I own four of them. But I do agree with you that lighty is overthinking this. I think I've seen three different battery threads from him. Lighty,, just get your battery as all the Gemini/Gloworm/MS/Xeccon battery's use good cells!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If I used a pre-assembled pack, I'd build it with a balance plug and balance charge with a hobby charger. IMO you will get longer life and better performance out of the pack that way. Whether or not that really makes a big difference is up to you. Most packs without balancing will do OK for 3-5 years. Balancing while charging will get the same pack to 5-8 years.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Lupine's smartcore battery's have a self balancing mode. I own four of them. But I do agree with you that lighty is overthinking this. I think I've seen three different battery threads from him. Lighty,, just get your battery as all the Gemini/Gloworm/MS/Xeccon battery's use good cells!!
    I figured some company was using them, should known Lupine would use a balance circuit. Don't have any of their packs (too dang expensive) but not hard to rebalance a pack after a couple of years

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's a combination of a balance circuit in the battery assuring equal draw from each cell, while Lupine's Charger One balances the pack during charging .

View Larger

6.6 Ah Smartcore Battery
    1x velcro long and 1x short to mount the battery

Read 3 ReviewsWrite a Review

ShareThis

The SmartCore battery comes with powerful electronics: simply push the control panel and the remaining battery capacity will be indicated in increments of 10%. The advantage is obvious: The capacity can be checked at any time no matter if the battery is in use, being charged, or has been laying in the hall for two weeks waiting for the next adventure.

A tail- and running-light function may also be activated by the push of a button. (((The integrated balancing function increases our batteries' performance and life.)))

Stock: Yes

Item No.: 844

Price: US $190.00

Qty:

- See more at: 6.6 Ah Smartcore Battery

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    It's a combination of a balance circuit in the battery assuring equal draw from each cell, while Lupine's Charger One balances the pack during charging .

View Larger

6.6 Ah Smartcore Battery
    1x velcro long and 1x short to mount the battery

Read 3 ReviewsWrite a Review

ShareThis

The SmartCore battery comes with powerful electronics: simply push the control panel and the remaining battery capacity will be indicated in increments of 10%. The advantage is obvious: The capacity can be checked at any time no matter if the battery is in use, being charged, or has been laying in the hall for two weeks waiting for the next adventure.

A tail- and running-light function may also be activated by the push of a button. (((The integrated balancing function increases our batteries' performance and life.)))

Stock: Yes

Item No.: 844

Price: US $190.00

Qty:

- See more at: 6.6 Ah Smartcore Battery
    You do realize all packs pretty much draw current evenly. That's normal properties of a battery pack.

The balancing function is for charging. It monitors cell voltages and controls charging of each cell so they are charged back up evenly. Avoiding some cells having a lower "fully charged" voltage than others. This is part of what you see when a pack looses capacity. The protection is tripping early because 1 or more cells are hiring the cutoff voltage sooner because they aren't being fully charged.

This is why you see lipo balance chargers for RC, to ensure cells being evenly charged every time. Lupine has simply put the balance feature into the pack itself avoiding the need for special charge and balance connectors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lupine uses a proprietary PCB designed for Lupine Chargers so yes without knowing the specific tech I'm assuming there is a communication between the two in the charging for optimal balance of all the cells. Hope I'm making sense.
    Last edited by indebt; 04-08-2016 at 02:40 PM.

I win.
    Any new info on when the neutral white versions will be out? I've all but made up my mind on purchasing some Gemini lights but my next lights will be NW.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Popper252 View Post
    Any new info on when the neutral white versions will be out? I've all but made up my mind on purchasing some Gemini lights but my next lights will be NW.
    Which lights are you considering. I could swap them out for you for a nominal charge and you would have to wait.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Which lights are you considering. I could swap them out for you for a nominal charge and you would have to wait.
    Hmm interesting. What color temperature are the leds you'd swap in? Also would the warranty still be in tact after modification?

I had my eyes set on an Olympia and Duo set.

I'm not in any kind of rush though so I don't know if it's worth it to have them modified or to just wait?
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

Action LED Lights
    They are 4800K - 5000K and yes, I would still warranty them. (we are the US warranty repair center for Gemini)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Gemini Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Popper252 View Post
    Thanks for the interest. The NW versions will roll out with the next production run, which is still TBA. We'll keep you posted about the release dates.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm thinking about buying two Duos for my wife and I. Is the Gemini web site the only place to purchase?

RAKC
    www.Action-led-lights.com

I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasbubba View Post
    I'm thinking about buying two Duos for my wife and I. Is the Gemini web site the only place to purchase?
    I just placed an order for a Neutral White Duo and Olympus from action lights. I'll let ya know how it goes when I get them.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    action-led-lights.com

Thanks for the referral tigris99.
    We have been selling Gemini lights since they first hit the market back in 2011. We also are and have been there US service center that whole time.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Gemini Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasbubba View Post
    Hey there and thanks very much for your interest. Gemini can be purchased in the USA via the Gemini website as well as:

Action-led-lights.com

and

Lagunabicycles.com