Gearbest?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gearbest?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

New question here. Gearbest?

New to the forum, but very interested in some of the Nitefighter lights. I was interested in hearing about experiences with Gearbest. Their prices are great, but looking at review sites they get a bad rap for slow delivery or sending incomplete orders. My Visa card declined the transaction, because the seller is on a list of sellers that are problematic.

TIA

RAKC
    We all get the lights we discuss from gearbest. The Shipping delay time is something you deal with from ALL china sellers (unless on ebay but still can take over a month). In complete orders are "split orders" due to something being out of stock and sometimes items are forgotten to be shipped when they come in stock. Thing being you get far more complaints the "positive feedback" because for all the people that have a good experience, only a select few will take the time to do a review.

To be 100% sure just make sure you ask them prior to ordering if all the items you want to order are in stock. All the nitefighter ones are unless they show "out of stock" or "backordered"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    We all get the lights we discuss from gearbest.
    I don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    I don't.
    ( snicker ) You are too funny. I believe he meant to say, "Many of us get lights that we discuss from Gearbest". ( Aussie Nit-pickers )...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ( Aussie Nit-pickers )...
    You Canadians are so funny

Light freak
    Rate Gearbest Thread on Budget Light Forums

They don't sound so bad

Have any of you checked your Chinese lights for fake Cree LED's? Fake Cree Awareness Thread May explain some of the tint and performance differences seen between batches. Maybe not. Pretty interesting. Check out the data sheets for the copies.

Light freak
    This picture is interesting from this thread - Nitefighter BT21 2x XM-L2 NW light

Look at the MCPCB and the positive marking on it. There is a small hole on the corner of the LED that is aligned to the positive trace on the underside of the LED.

Lattice Bright datasheet

Look at the drawing in the middle of this spec sheet of the three views of the LED. Hole is aligned to positive trace on LED.

Here is a drawing of the Cree XM-L2 from their spec sheet. Notice the hole is aligned to the negative trace on the LED. That is how I align all my Cree XM-L2's to the MCPCB when I am reflowing them after buying them from Mouser or DigiKey?? Hole on LED is aligned to negative trace on MCPCB.

RAKC
    Scar I have 2 of them, the boards for some reason are set up opposite the marks. The emitters are correctly placed everything works as it is supposed to and they ARE cree emitters.

The detail you leave out from the picture is the positive and negative wires are ALSO soldered in the wrong places.

mtbr member
    Heres gearbest selling batteries with fake cells:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ht-944406.html

mtbr member
    Fake batteries are provided by the people building the batteries packs and then selling them to companies that use them to sell their own product. This means that the middle man ( Gearbest or anyone else for that matter ) has the same problem of not knowing unless they are testing for such things. At least capacity is not something hard to test.

Fake emitters are another issue altogether. I'm not sure the Chinese have the technology yet to create the complex chemistry involved with building a good power emitter. I'm sure Cree has different plants but I don't think any are in China. They did purchase SSC in S. Korea years ago so if both plants can produce similar versions of the same emitter there might be slight differences between those versions. This is all interesting though. I'd like to know where Cree stands on claims of fakes. Has Cree issued any public statements that acknowledge the presence of fake Cree emitters?

Of course at some point the Chinese will develop the technology to build a power emitter but currently the technology is very new and ground breaking. I'm sure they can build lesser quality LED's but I'm not sure they are out to build fake Crees and then selling them as such. Doing so would definitely hurt the Chinese International marketplace for products that are currently marketed as using the Cree products. Not to mention that just building a facility for building fake Cree emitters would be very costly alone ( I would think ). Then making the emitters good enough to fool people would indeed not be an easy thing to do. Like I said before though, eventually it will happen. I just don't think it's time yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    You Canadians are so funny
    Damn, you know I can't say anything about that without pissing off the Canadians...that's not playing fair.

RAKC
    Can't blame gearbest for "fake cells". Its like blaming Amazon for for selling Chinese lights with crap batteries. Its not the retail sites fault, its the place supplying the retailer.

Gearbest isn't perfect but no online selling company is, and Chinese sellers aren't exactly near the top. But gearbest is decent enough as good as most and better than some, worse than some. But one thing they don't do, is know what's inside a sealed battery pack. That's what these reviews are for we do. If there isn't a review thread, then its not worth the time, and then we tell straight up how it is, good or bad.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've long believed that the Chinese lights overstate the bin value of their emitters. Since the end user has no way of telling the difference between a T6 and U2 bin, the manufacturer of a lighthead that is going to retail for <$30 could not resist saving some money by using lower bin emitters. Hearing about fake Cree emitters does not surprise me in the least.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    We all get the lights we discuss from gearbest.
    I think some people "get" lights from gearbest, but most people buy lights from gearbest.

RAKC
    Hey I get some and buy some. Didnt end up with 2 yindings and 2 bt21s for free

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Fake emitters are another issue altogether. I'm not sure the Chinese have the technology yet to create the complex chemistry involved with building a good power emitter. I'm sure Cree has different plants but I don't think any are in China. They did purchase SSC in S. Korea years ago so if both plants can produce similar versions of the same emitter there might be slight differences between those versions. This is all interesting though. I'd like to know where Cree stands on claims of fakes. Has Cree issued any public statements that acknowledge the presence of fake Cree emitters?

Of course at some point the Chinese will develop the technology to build a power emitter but currently the technology is very new and ground breaking. I'm sure they can build lesser quality LED's but I'm not sure they are out to build fake Crees and then selling them as such. Doing so would definitely hurt the Chinese International marketplace for products that are currently marketed as using the Cree products. Not to mention that just building a facility for building fake Cree emitters would be very costly alone ( I would think ). Then making the emitters good enough to fool people would indeed not be an easy thing to do. Like I said before though, eventually it will happen. I just don't think it's time yet.
    Well, fake Cree emitters are here, no doubt. I've experienced one myself advertizing XM-L T6 but got LatticeBright. See my post at BLF and the whole thread : The Fake-Cree LED Awareness Thread. | BudgetLightForum.com