Foggy nights?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Foggy nights?

nocturnal oblivion

Foggy nights?

My L&M solo halogen worked great in winter foggy night conditions, but the battery is going...I'd like to get a Dinotte 400L but I know it isn't yellow hued like the halogen. Anybody ever come up with a solution, ie lens cover, without risking overheating?

mtbr member
    I use transparent yellow sola film when it gets foggy and it works great, just put some over the font and hold it on with a rubber band, Shame you live too far away for me to post you some as I have stacks of the stuff.
    Pop into a RC hobby shop (they use it to cover planes)and they will usually just cut you a bit of the roll.

It won't mind the heat as it is designed to be ironed onto a plane.

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/technology.html
    Last edited by yetibetty; 06-24-2009 at 11:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Maybe you'll be better off with led as you can dim the lights to reduce glare?

nocturnal oblivion
    my big concern is overheating the light, but I bet that would work. So long as the film is thin and highly transparent, more infrared would pass through. What light type are you using that on Yeti? I suppose the majority of heat from an LED is in the engine, an LED bulb, given it's efficiency, produces less light in the infrared range. Probably wouldn't use film over an HID, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    my big concern is overheating the light, but I bet that would work. So long as the film is thin and highly transparent, more infrared would pass through. What light type are you using that on Yeti? I suppose the majority of heat from an LED is in the engine, an LED bulb, given it's efficiency, produces less light in the infrared range. Probably wouldn't use film over an HID, right?
    I use it on my DIY quad LED light, you only have to put it on the front and usually it's a good idea to dim the light in fog so that will keep it cool.
    It really helps in the fog, it's almost free and I just keep a small roll in my backpack just in case.

Pics should give you an idea and I'll do some beam shots when it gets dark.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    It finally got dark but you'll have to imagine your own fog

You can see how it helps with the contrast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I live on the eastern slope of the Sierras (at the bottom actually). We rarely, barely ever ever get fog here. Sounds fun. Do ride into clouds a couple thousand feet into the mountains but I've never done it at night.
    I'm riding with dual 10 watt cygolite halogens. I can imagine that would be like running into a wall.
    Going for a night ride tonight up into the foothills and beyond. I can run for 5 hours dual or 10 with one lamp. I usually run one lamp going up and two down. Also have a flashing tail-light thingy for roading.

bi-winning
    When it is foggy, don't bother with a helmet light.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

nocturnal oblivion
    Great pics Yeti, the contrast difference is impressive. Got a reply from Dinotte, sounds like won't be an overheat issue for LEDs. Though they didn't think it would work, at least not to their standard Dinotte recommended buying an amber bulb light version of the 400 lumen Li, but they state the amber bulb reduces output (lux?) by half. Doesn't seem like that's an issue with Yetis 1 cent lens cover. I'm sold to try it.

mtbr member
    Yes, their amber light is more of a "be seen" in the fog road light.

Members who have read this thread: 0