Flashlight handle bar holder - Anyone use one?- Mtbr.com
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator

Flashlight handle bar holder - Anyone use one?

I just bought one of these off fleabay, looks similar to my PVC contraption I made last year:

Flashlight handle bar holder - Anyone use one?-light-mount-kona.jpg

Not the best picture ot see the mounting, but I basically strapped it to the riser that the handlebar clamped to. It worked pretty good, but i did have one crash snap some of the PVC off the riser portion. I was digging around the web today during some slow time at work and found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311755323920

$10.00, so I bought it and it should arrive in 2 weeks. I will post up some pics of mounting and use once I get it. Anyone used something like this?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Your the one with that insane bar light set up lol.

What you ordered is just an extra wide bar extension. Lots of versions out there in different sizes. The one I have is about 4" long and single aluminum mounting bracket. Works good with some mounts, like crap with others. The band mounts on the solarstorms will do good as long as you use the SMALL bands, not the big ones. Band mounts are the ones that I have had zero trouble staying secure (as long as the mount on the light doesnt break)

Can't mount your battery packs on it though, won't support the weight. So you'll have to mount those packs elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Your the one with that insane bar light set up lol.

What you ordered is just an extra wide bar extension. Lots of versions out there in different sizes. The one I have is about 4" long and single aluminum mounting bracket. Works good with some mounts, like crap with others. The band mounts on the solarstorms will do good as long as you use the SMALL bands, not the big ones. Band mounts are the ones that I have had zero trouble staying secure (as long as the mount on the light doesnt break)

Can't mount your battery packs on it though, won't support the weight. So you'll have to mount those packs elsewhere.

yep, that is me. As I mentioned it worked really good last year. I currently just have my lights mounted to the handlebars on my new bike (not riding the Kona anymore) since my old rig will not easily mount to the setup I run now. I can hand the battery packs off the handlebars and just have the lights on the bar I ordered. Seems like it is on a slow boat from China, so I will have to deal with my current setup for a few weeks into the night riding season. I just hate it on the bars because my cables catch the light and my eyes are constantly drawn to them as a result...

MTBR Posting Guidelines

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Shorter cables/hoses would probably help . Pics below show lengths of my stuff, just long enough my bars can spin all the way backwards (and a little more) without damaging anything

Bar extensions are good for that though. Had that issue on my road bike as it had shift cables that exited out the sides, and silver lettering... extremely annoying!

You all are getting ready for "night riding season"...I do it year round. Fall for me means a day checking the fat bike over as "Its Fatty time!" Lol. No snow yet, but trails will be closed much of the time here soon unless we actually get a winter.

Btw, you can get those extensions for only a few bucks more on Amazon with prime shipping (wait a couple days instead of a couple weeks or more). $12-$20 in about any "design" you want. One of the very few things I dont mind buying cheap, chinese grade. Can't really screw those up.

Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    ...I just hate it on the bars because my cables catch the light and my eyes are constantly drawn to them as a result...
    Looking at your Kona I'm trying figure out why your brake lines and cables come up so high. Seems to me whoever put your brake lines on used way too much line, particularly on your rear brake. I ride a Kona too although not one of the longer travel ones like yours. None of the brake lines or shifter cables on my bike interfere with any of my lamps and I have a Gloworm X2 mounted right directly in front of the handlebar stem. Heck, you shouldn't even have a problem because your lines/cables are routed under the top tube where as mine are routed on top of the top tube.

I hope the bar extension works for you. As for the batteries or battery you use I'm going to suggest you buy a good six cell battery and get rid of the duel battery setup. Then buy a "Y" cable adapter and run both lamps from the one battery. Those cheap-o SStorm type lamps aren't going to draw a boat load of amps so I'm betting a good six cell should help save some weight as well. Now as for mounting the battery, rather than having them on the bars you might consider picking up something like this and then buy a nice six cell battery from Hunk Lee ( ebay vendor ) and put it inside the bag. The upside is you'll have a cleaner look to your bike. Downside is the Y-cable isn't threaded but it will still work, although you might need to add a bit of electrical tape to help keep it together.

I run a similar bag on my road set-up and it holds all my basic road kit, tube, pump, levers, 2-cell battery and CO'2 inflator. I would of suggested just mounting the single 6-cell battery to the top tube but unless you have a good battery bag it would flop around. I mount all my larger MTB batteries to my down tube but I have good battery bags.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    That bag is cool, on my current bike (2017 Intense Spider) I have my battery pack hanging from the top tube, but getting a second one on there will be a problem due to how the rear shock mounts.

I never had any issues with the batteries hanging up front last season, I am generally going slower and taking my time when riding at night anyway.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I forgot to mention it came in a few days ago. I mounted it up real quick and took 2 shots.

Flashlight handle bar holder - Anyone use one?-handlebar-light-mount-01.jpg

Flashlight handle bar holder - Anyone use one?-handlebar-light-mount-02.jpg

I finished my setup and did my first full night ride of the season last night, I have 2 of those lights mounted on it and one battery pack hanging from the space between them, the other battery mounts fine to my frame. I run a 3rd smaller light on my helmet with the battery in my camelback.

I keep a few spare batteries on me just in case.

I will post up some more pictures as I forgot to take any shots of it fully setup. Overall I am very happy with how it looks and how it functions.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Update: here are some shots of my setup and how it works even with my Sons seat mounted.

Flashlight handle bar holder - Anyone use one?-spider-275-lights-setup.jpg

Flashlight handle bar holder - Anyone use one?-mk.jak-night-ride-rock-roller.jpg

Flashlight handle bar holder - Anyone use one?-mk.jak-converse-night.jpg

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Idea!

There are a lot of options for increasing the available space on the handle bar:
    bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/1126857-minoura-spacer-light-gadget-mount-di-light-fender-hole-mount.html