First night ride tips- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    36

    First night ride tips

    Hi
    Hopefully if my batterys turn up we will be going on our first offroad night ride tomorrow, do you have any tips that will help us to enjoy it to its full potential.
    We will be using our DIY pepperpot handlebar mounted light units
    Cheers

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zen bicycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    463
    Don't worry about the lights too much and have fun

    That is why you are out there anyway

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,790
    Wear glasses to keep the bugs out of your eyes. Any that you eat are just free protein.

  4. #4
    This Space For Rent
    Reputation: jsu1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    112
    If possible, have an option to mount the light to your helmet. Handlebar-mounted lights can dart around the trail a good bit, especially when climbing. Having an option to move the light to your helmet will allow you to try it out half way through your ride so you can see which you like better.

    Obviously, the best solution would be to have both a helmat and handlebar light, but if you're limited to one, I'm guessing most people would probably opt for a helmet mounted unit.


    Also, carry a flashlight with you incase your light goes dead.
    -Brian

  5. #5
    This Space For Rent
    Reputation: jsu1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Wear glasses to keep the bugs out of your eyes.
    In my opinion, glasses should be worn whether it's day or night.

    My suggestion would be to get some clear lenses for your glasses (if you don't already have some).
    -Brian

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by dadandlad
    Hi
    do you have any tips that will help us to enjoy it to its full potential.
    If you're riding in tight wooded singletrack, let someone else go first, so they can use their face to remove all the spiderwebs for you.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XCProphet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    333

    So true!

    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Wear glasses to keep the bugs out of your eyes. Any that you eat are just free protein.
    Mothballs...Mmmm...powdery mothballs

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    120

    minimize lights

    Be sure to use good light discipline - wait till it's actually dark to turn your lights on and turn them off at every opportunity - can't tell you how many times I've been on night ride and had someone shine their lights in my face - or even worse, take a flash photo. Be careful not to "follow the light," a tight light beam does not give you context so you end up following the light instead of the trail - be careful. Ride only trails you already know. I believe a tight beam on helmet to see where you want to go and a flood light on handlebars to see where you actually are work best for me. Oh and I did I mention be careful. What a blast though enjoy!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by jsu1995
    My suggestion would be to get some clear lenses for your glasses (if you don't already have some).
    Or get a pair of safety glasses from the local hardware store.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    180
    ^^^^haha. I pulled that one tonight!
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by tunajuice
    Be sure to use good light discipline - wait till it's actually dark to turn your lights on and turn them off at every opportunity - can't tell you how many times I've been on night ride and had someone shine their lights in my face - or even worse, take a flash photo. Be careful not to "follow the light," a tight light beam does not give you context so you end up following the light instead of the trail - be careful. Ride only trails you already know. I believe a tight beam on helmet to see where you want to go and a flood light on handlebars to see where you actually are work best for me. Oh and I did I mention be careful. What a blast though enjoy!
    Totally agreed.

    I would say that a single spot on headlamp is enough to light the way on a trail you know. I ride a 29er now and find that where I am is generally not as much of an issue as where i'm going to end up so he helmet light is really the key to the operation in my book.

    Rule 1. Stay Safe
    Rule 2. Have Fun!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    36
    Cheers chaps
    Some great tips there especially fightnut's and the spiders webs.
    Unfortunatly batterys did not turn up in time so still nightime virgin
    Will let you know how we get on as soon as we have been out

  13. #13
    Nowt to do with NKOTB!
    Reputation: Dirty Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    If you're riding in tight wooded singletrack, let someone else go first, so they can use their face to remove all the spiderwebs for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by dadandlad
    Cheers chaps
    Some great tips there especially fightnut's and the spiders webs.
    Unfortunatly batterys did not turn up in time so still nightime virgin
    Will let you know how we get on as soon as we have been out
    Its fantastic, I'm a newbie night rider and loving it. I'm sure you both will have a great time.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2
    Last week was my first time too and I have to say It was amazing but I did try a really good light and motion gas filled nicad headlamp. I wouldn't have paid the $500 dollars initially but after trying It, 500 dollars is worth the money. It even made me feel safe riding home on the side of the road after the ride. Too much fun!!!!!!!!!!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    36
    Cheers
    First time out last night,great fun a real blast with handlebar mounted DIY led now need to make a helmet mounted unit,
    I can now understand why people prefer to use both.
    Still a great experience and cant wait till next time

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    156
    the other big deal about a helmet mount is its use in the event of a mechanical problem. removing a bar mount light and using it to light repairs can be a pain in the rear. I make sure to use a helmet mount with my bar mount and keep extra AAA batteries so if I run my bar mount down entirely I have backup with my helmet mount and spare batteries for it too.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    28
    Just did my first night ride after about 15 years and it was a blast. Looking forward to more. Things relearned,

    Get some clear glasses - got a bug in the eye right away. Only light for miles has a way to attract them pest.

    Have two lights and test them before heading out - Do not wait til dark on the trail to see if your light works. BUddy just got his light and had a small issue but we got it going luckily just a bad connection. This also had me wondering with no spare bulb, it wold suck to have it go out and not have another source of light. Buying a helmet light this weekend as assistance to my handlebar light.

    Bug spray - Once again you will attract them. Luckily we sprayed down before out ride.

    Familiar trail - we rode after the rain and trailhad been newly rutted. So familiarity and slower pace kept it safe, even though he went down and I had quite a few close calls.

    And yes, I did get the front rider spider web encounter. Pretty thick and sticky web too. Had me wondering where the spider was the rest of the trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.