First night ride. Completed solo.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

First night ride. Completed solo.

Just completed my first night ride last night. Not knowing anyone at my skill level who does night riding and the fact that none of my ride buddies are really interested ,I decided to go for it alone.

Had to decide on whether I should be taking some of the XCish trails that are easy but long and I am less familiar with or more DH type of trails that are technical but short and I am very familiar with.
    I ended up picking the DH trail as I don't want to be left in the dark a long way from home if anything goes wrong.

Had one of my riding buddy shuttle me up at the trail head and wait for me at the end of the trail and off I went.

The woods does look intimidating at first but once you dive in, build up some speed and begin to plow though the technical stuff you start to realize that you will be needing 100% of your concentration to control the bike. As I begin to concentrate, the fear in my mind goes away and is replaced with a sense of calmness. I have never felt this calm on a DH trail before!

I was riding with a Niterider Pro 1500 Race on the bar and Exposure Diablo on the helmet. Being the first time riding at night, everything was set to full power. With 1500 lumens to play with, the guys at Niterider had designed an amazing beam pattern for the light. Not only does it have sufficient lumens to produce a HUGE bright center spot penetrating deep into the dark, there was still sufficient lumens left over to light up the peripheral nicely. The diablo does a great job as well. The beam is not as wide but have great penetrating power lighting up wherever I look and compensating for where the bar light had failed to point at.

With a total of 2400 lumens on hand and my lack of biking skills, I have yet to out run the lights even on the fastest sections. Night riding really isn't much more difficult compared to the day and as you can only see where your lights are pointed at, there will be much less distraction allowing you to concentrate on the trail.

After driving me for two shuttle runs. I think my friend is getting interested in joining too.

turtles make me hot
    I love riding at night by myself. My wife thinks I have a screw loose.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I love riding at night by myself. My wife thinks I have a screw loose.
    I like riding at night too. It's fun.

My wife also thinks I have a screw loose. I'm also pretty sure it has nothing to do with the night riding.

j.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Congrats mgv101 for crossing over to the other side. I think all of us who have ventured out into the mountains on solo night rides have been accused of a screw or two been loose. It gets even better when wild life introduces itself to your ride. Before when my technical ability wasn't what it is now, i found i actually rode better at night as i just reacted to what was in my beam of light as apposed to worrying about a tough section i could see a half a minute away which would mess with my head.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I like riding at night too. It's fun.

My wife also thinks I have a screw loose. I'm also pretty sure it has nothing to do with the night riding.

j.

I like riding at night too!

My girlfriend thinks one day I will run into a tree. lol

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    After about 10 yrs of riding i finally joined the darkside.I love riding at night now very peaceful tons of wildlife out .Already want another light

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet bill View Post
    After about 10 yrs of riding i finally joined the darkside.I love riding at night now very peaceful tons of wildlife out .Already want another light
    And that is the biggest issue of night riding.

J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Congrats mgv101 for crossing over to the other side. I think all of us who have ventured out into the mountains on solo night rides have been accused of a screw or two been loose. It gets even better when wild life introduces itself to your ride. Before when my technical ability wasn't what it is now, i found i actually rode better at night as i just reacted to what was in my beam of light as apposed to worrying about a tough section i could see a half a minute away which would mess with my head.
    Indeed, people are starting to call me crazy already but really, they should give night riding a try instead. It's really not as difficult, dangerous or crazy than what most of them think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Agreed. It was difficult and sometimes dangerous when 200 lumens was a bright light. Then it was a bit of an adrenaline thrill on trails that previously seemed easy. Now, with 1500 lumens, it's safe and fun and can greatly extend your riding opportunities.

j.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I thought I had a screw loose too when I thought I was talking to fellow riders ahead of me and it turned out to be a owl hooting at me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I commute home after dark. I never leave before 9:15 so that traffic from the stores that close at 9 has a chance to die down. But sometimes I get stuck at work and don't leave until midnight. I LOVE those late rides home. Quiet, no traffic. It's as peaceful as it gets in the suburbs. People at work think I'm crazy. I think they are crazy riding with a ton of traffic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mgv101 View Post
    ...Had to decide on whether I should be taking some of the XCish trails that are easy but long and I am less familiar with or more DH type of trails that are technical but short and I am very familiar with.
    I ended up picking the DH trail...
    Take the XC trails next time. The fun doesn't really start until you're on a slow climb and you "just know" something is stalking you from behind.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Take the XC trails next time. The fun doesn't really start until you're on a slow climb and you "just know" something is stalking you from behind.
    That's funny as hell. I'm 6'4" and like 240ish and I always think like that. Really want to freak? Watch a couple episodes of The Walking Dead on AMC and go night riding alone. I always end up asking myself How old am I??
    I like turtles

Oh Yeah Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Really want to freak? Watch a couple episodes of The Walking Dead on AMC and go night riding alone. I always end up asking myself How old am I??
    Thats good stuff for sure

I think deep down we all like a good scare from time to time.

Ive been looking at lights for about a week now. Ive got a 500 minute night race coming up in September. I cant hardly wait !!!!!
    Misfit Psycles diSSent
    Trek CrossRip Comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeThenDie View Post
    I commute home after dark. I never leave before 9:15 so that traffic from the stores that close at 9 has a chance to die down. But sometimes I get stuck at work and don't leave until midnight. I LOVE those late rides home. Quiet, no traffic. It's as peaceful as it gets in the suburbs. People at work think I'm crazy. I think they are crazy riding with a ton of traffic.
    Sounds like my schedule, and I agree, however the rabbits can get irritating.

mtbr member
    ..........I think this is a universal phenomenon when riding trails at night. I found it interesting that when I first started riding at night, I had a tendency to push myself more on climbs than during the day. No doubt from The: "Is something behind me?" adrenaline rush.

Tonight I got hit with a sudden "out of the blue" thunder storm at the half-way point in my ride. At the time I was sitting down resting when I saw the first flash of lightning ( no thunder ). That drew my attention. Minutes later flashes with the rumblings of thunder. That ended my break and got me moving. Ten minutes later I realized that the storm was moving really fast and I wasn't going to beat it back to the car. I carry a piece of cheap plastic ( very thin plastic ) picnic table cloth in by bag for emergencies like this in case I have to hunker down for a big one. Dang it !... I hate getting caught back in the woods with lightning flashing around! I've had it happen in the mountains before too which is worse because you are higher up. Anyway... Nevertheless, I found a nice log to sit on and threw the sheet over me. Moments later it was raining buckets. This was no light shower. Thankfully it only lasted about ten minutes. ( * Oh how I wish I had one of those fancy cell phones with internet access so I could check the weather radar while on a ride. )