First night ride in about 6 years- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First night ride in about 6 years

My wife, some friends and I had a blast riding last night. I forgot how much fun it is. We used our new Magicshine 808E customs we bought at Bikeempowerment.com. Great light with a much better housing and mount.

We used to ride with 10w Vistalites. I let one of my friends use it last night and next to the magicshine, it looked like a candle.

Next will be some helmet lights.

Is not amused
    Nice to read about this in here and thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a good time. Any pictures by any chance?

mtbr member
    +1 on the helmet & bar light, enjoy! Try and ride at twilight as much as possible.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    No pictures this time but maybe I will take my camera along next time. Right now we try to start when it is light and then switch on the lights when needed. Usually not too long after starting as many of our rides are in dense forest.

My brother wants me to try a Princeton Tech Apex Pro(200 lumen) on my helmet to see how that works. He is a manufacturers rep for PT. It may work fine as I have noted the helmet light seems more important on slower more technical riding. The bar light is great for fast riding when the bars generally stay pointed in the direction of travel.

mtbr member
    Rode again last night. This time I added a helmet light. I used the Princeton Tech Apex Pro attached directly to my helmet with some Velcro straps through the holes. The Apex advertises 200 lumens. While not as bright as the Magicshine 808e, it did very well to compliment it. I ran it on high with the 808e on low for about 40 minutes and the CR123 lithium batteries held up well. The light color was a little bluer than the 808e but not noticeable and the two lights actually meshed together very well to light up where the bike was going and also where I was looking.

A little extra fun when my dog treed some critter and it was not happy. Maybe a raccoon or a porcupine. Luckily not a skunk. I never did see what it was as the area had some dense ground growth.

Members who have read this thread: 0