First night bike ride......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

First night bike ride......

So, Ill be going out to Bent Creek, (Asheville) Monday night.... This will be my first trail ride with the MS XM-L. I'm excited, but nervous. Is one light enough? I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a second light for the helmet, but. This one is so bright, maybe the standard for lighting has been changed. Do we really need 2 lights anymore???

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyginn View Post
    So, Ill be going out to Bent Creek, (Asheville) Monday night.... This will be my first trail ride with the MS XM-L. I'm excited, but nervous. Is one light enough? I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a second light for the helmet, but. This one is so bright, maybe the standard for lighting has been changed. Do we really need 2 lights anymore???
    ALWAYS carry a back up... even a torch
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ah, the voice of reason.....trigger pulled. Thanks BBW.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ah, the voice of reason.....trigger pulled. Thanks BBW.
    The voice of reason said use a torch as backup.

What you've heard was the voice of desire.

mtbr member
    Some quick tips: I know nothing about Bent Creek but hopefully you have ridden there at least a handful of times. I say that because Night time is not a good time to be exploring or to be riding new or unfamiliar trails particularly when said trails have lots of connectors and/or are remote. The last thing you want to do is get lost at night. A back up light is a must have even if it is only a good torch. I've gotten lost at least a couple times at night and believe me it is quite frightening especially when in back country. A compass is a must have item as well because it can be easy to loose your sense of direction at night as well. From the lessons I've learned through the school of hard knocks, "Know your trail well before riding at night". Carry a map and compass, they can be life savers when in remote areas. Lastly, plan how much battery run time you will need and then have at least 1hr of additional emergency battery run time left in reserve.

You won't have to follow this advise for your local everyday trails but real important when going places you haven't been before.

mtbr member
    Two words, bring beer.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Im 38 years old and still get nervous but I swear, its not about the light, its about the freakin woods! I love being in the woods but when I jump a dear or a turkey or the worst, a coyote, I get down right skeered! I dont always get to take a buddy!
    P4:13

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I know the feeling as it doesnt even have to be pitch black out to be scarred of the forest,nor do you have to be alone.I had a mountain lion change it's mind at my front wheel a few weeks back and turn around back into the bush as my buddy rode up behind me.Today they have closed six trails we usually ride because of three different groups of riders encountered a very aggressive cougar(s) and the hunt is on.

In Canmore Alberta Canada a rider from my buddys daughters racing team was out for a short spin and heard a loud commotion comming towards him, so he stopped and just then right in front of him a moose came running out of the woods,then a second later another one, both running for their lives as the third one turned out to be a grizzly on the hunt barreling after them.He didn't stick around for the kill and i dont blame him. So C Health your not alone we all have things that can turn us grown men into jelly.

mtbr member
    I have encountered moose, bear and mtn lions on solo night rides and that's one of the things I dig about riding at night... you're not always the top of the food chain!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...