few people ride at night?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

few people ride at night?

I noticed there are few people who are willing to ride at night.

I and 1 other guy were the only people ride at night on the trails.

why don't people ride at night?
    is the cost of lights prohibitive?

Cycologist
    @*Onespeed*, whatdayathink, do we have a winner?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Downcountry AF
    Picard asks another hard hitting question...

I ride in the dark Picard, all by myself. It's actually wonderful.

few people ride at night?-img_5978.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    @*Onespeed*, whatdayathink, do we have a winner?
    Why wasn't this posted in General? He used to focus a lot of his energy there and just allow mods to relocate as necessary.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Nothing to do with prohibitive costs. In many places its cold. That is the biggest issue. As well as the inherent extra dangers of riding at night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

With cheap LED lamps or torches costing less than $20, cost has nothing to do with it. Then again it's possible a lot of people don't know how the cost of bike lights have dropped over the years. Don't be fooled though. There are people who ride at night. Factors that might play into the mix might be; Working hours; If you work during the day you are a "Day person". Day people just tend to ride their bikes more in the day. Some people are night owls. They work and play at night, if possible. Local laws prohibiting riding local trails at night; Depending on where you live the local trails could legally be closed at sunset. Although this doesn't stop everyone...*cough*....the people who do poach the closed trails usually don't say much about it. ( Not that most people really care who's rides a bike in the woods at night ). Last but not least another prohibitive factor ( depending on where you ride ) could be nocturnal threats from wildlife. I don't live in an area where there are bears, wolves, coyotes, mountain Lions or poisonous snakes. If I did I likely wouldn't ride too much at night.

I ride almost exclusively at night. Much of that is due to the lateness of my working hours which, over the years has laid waste to my circadian rhythms and has transformed me into a zombie-like night owl. Now that eastern standard time is back and darkness arriving sooner there are still a few Day people who like to get their "after work" ride in by using lights. Being a night owl I can't do that myself anymore. If I did I'd be riding at 3:00 in the morning and that would be a little too weird even for me.

Co Springs
    I ride at night and it's mostly the occasional plan with one or a few others. It's worked more recently for me due to my work hours and meet-up's with others. They can get out by 17:30-ish and I can ride before going in later on.

It's been fun times and a bit chilly but no surprises by bear or mtn lions. Dark as hell up there in the park just this north side of NORAD overlooking the city.
    I tend to think if one doesn't like crowds or enjoys the solitude of night time off path/city street areas, it's ideal as long as you know to contend with potential dangers and dress for the conditions. I have a pretty economical set up with two lights at 750L , helmet and bar mounts. approx $170.

It's likely anyone can cross paths with undesirables, vagrants or genuinely dangerous types so be alert and better yet, ride in groups. My pictures are from just over a week ago around 8 pm. We started out in 45 degree temps, moved though some waves of low 50's then dropped to 36 in some upper road elevation / tunnels. The uphill kept me toasty and the speeds of return offers some windchill and the opportunity to out-drive the lamps.

Night rides are F U N ; Approach with caution and reserves for margin of error and risk mitigation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails few people ride at night?-20171025_193430_1509968007561_resized.jpg  

few people ride at night?-thumbnail_20171025_193442_1509968009548_resized.jpg  

bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Almost exclusively at night here too. It's just what works best for me with work/family. I go for about 1hr, leave home 9:30pm. In bed by 11

mtbr member
    For many people who work 9 to 5 not riding at night means riding only in the weekends.

Our group tend to do night rides once or twice in weekdays. Short loops mostly on familiar trails, just to stay in touch with the bike. Weekend rides are not enough, plus sometimes you can't go riding both days.

My goal during tha past two years is to ride at least 3 times a week, that usually involves a couple of night rides.

Some people consider it dangerous, which can be true depending on where you are located. Others just can't be bothered leaving their cosy homes to get cold and muddy. Can't blame them, sometimes it takes a bit of self-persuading for me to get out and ride.

mtbr member
    I ride at night sometime in the winter, especially after DST ends, but I have temperature limits. Iím not a huge night-enthusiast but itís my preferred workout. Iíd rather brave the temps and the dark than suffer on the trainer. I havenít ridden the local single track, mostly just the 5 or 6 miles of abandoned railroad grade close to home. Itís pretty tight and pretty densly overgrown, like riding through a tunnel. Itís beautiful in the winter, especially at night. Lots of wildlife I wouldnít typically see, all non-threatening. I use a Flux Elite light and thatís really a great light, but I also have a cheapo Chinese light mounted on my helmet so that I can light where Iím looking. If Iím riding my road bike in no-snow conditions, I have two or three red blinkers facing backward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by link1896 View Post
    Almost exclusively at night here too. It's just what works best for me with work/family. I go for about 1hr, leave home 9:30pm. In bed by 11

What lights do you use? It is damn bright

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Zombies are more active, plus the stalker prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What lights do you use? It is damn bright

That's 20watts of Cree xml2.

Plus another 10watts on the helmet.

Yes, it's bright.

Tribe Member
    We do Thursday night guys ride every week in the summer. 2hrs of singletrack and then to the local pub for dinner and beers. Many a nights that we have ridden home at 1 or 2am with no issues.
    Most of us live within a couple of miles of each other so it's easy.

Tonight starts the Monday night fatbike rides. 90 minutes starting at 6p. With it being dark here at 5p there is no other option.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by link1896 View Post

where did you buy the lights?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    where did you buy the lights?
    Cheap Chinese lights like these

https://m.alibaba.com/product/606885...877&redirect=1

Mounted to GoPro handle bar clamps.

Each light runs off a remote control helicopter lipo battery shoved in a plastic pipe that sits in the drink bottle cage.

Helmet light is a real solarstorm

About three hrs run time. Car headlight brightness. I can go full speed down hills with no issues.

mtbr member
    My question for night riding is how safe is it as far as Predators go, and I don't mean mountain lions they don't scare me, I was thinking of carrying a can of bear spray works on Humans to
    I guess my first choice would be Redwood Park, Wildcat Canyon seems like there would be a better chance of mountain lion attack there.

I'm thinking of doing Redwood Park tomorrow after work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Mountain lions and bears are more afraid of you and you noisy bike and bright lights than you are of them.

The only concern that you should have about riding wildcat or redwood at night are the two-legged users that are paired with green SUVs and wear a badge while carrying a gun.

They are only a concern if you get caught straying from the boring fireroads, get caught riding faster than 15mph, or get caught anywhere in the parks after 10pm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustedone View Post
    Mountain lions and bears are more afraid of you and you noisy bike and bright lights than you are of them.

The only concern that you should have about riding wildcat or redwood at night are the two-legged users that are paired with green SUVs and wear a badge while carrying a gun.

They are only a concern if you get caught straying from the boring fireroads, get caught riding faster than 15mph, or get caught anywhere in the parks after 10pm.
    Well I definitely wouldn't be out past 10 I see no reason in that it only takes about 2 hours to get around Redwood.
    A Ranger would actually be a welcome sight better than two armed thugs looking to mug someone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bikesexual
    Saw this and thought of this thread.... Not for me though!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This light only produces 950 lumens. Is this your light?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    what battery do you use?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Just finished a night ride on the fat bike, then got to play with new light bar and fog lights on the access road.

Some people just like playing after dark more than others. I like my sun light but nothing like the peacefulness after dark when no one is around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    We ride 2x a week at night on our local trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This light only produces 950 lumens. Is this your light?

Xml2 datasheet theoretical maximum is 1050 lumens.

what battery do you use?
    RC helicopter batteries. Don't recall the Ah rating, but close to 3hrs run time

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    1050 optimal if in open air. Depends on the bin because they can go around 1200 lumens last I saw. But still loosing a couple hundred at the optics. Also means 3Amps drive current per emitter to reach that as well (Lipos are good for high drain at least)

So 900ish per light is reasonable, based on the size though they could push A LOT more lumens per light if your into messing with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    1050 optimal if in open air. Depends on the bin because they can go around 1200 lumens last I saw. But still loosing a couple hundred at the optics. Also means 3Amps drive current per emitter to reach that as well (Lipos are good for high drain at least)

So 900ish per light is reasonable, based on the size though they could push A LOT more lumens per light if your into messing with them.

Previous iterations, I was pushing XML2's on sinkpads well past 3 amps.

I'm happy enough with the current setup, but do have a system designed somewhat.

Wanting to do an rgb system, or maybe xml2 with green infill, bring the brightness up to a total 5000 lumens, and add automatic brightness control, a off-road and on road mode so I don't blind motorists, and swap to lithium ion cells instead of soft packed lipo. I found a gas pipe that protected 18650 fit inside just lovely, which I could stack on the downtube for a dozen or more cells. And a charger that has an individual controller for every cell, maxim Semi has some nice, inexpensive charge controllers when I last browsed. Unsure I can pull that off without having to pull apart the battery enclosure every time I need to charge, so I'd aim for a big run time.

I ride 90% at night, so lights are a critical component for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Current flood lights on the bars don't have TIR lenses fitted, just a glass face to keep crap out. Glass is 98% transmission Schott Amiran I found from work.

Flood is huge. 120 degrees. Works well for the tight single track i ride in combination with the 15 degree spots (dual xml2's in a magicshine) on the helmet.

Co Springs
    Interesting and helpful info on lights.
    I'll probably be fine for a while with what I use but in the back of my mind, I thought about a wider degree of coverage and going with a second light of different design. I have 2 niterider 750's now as helmet and bar mount and they are nice but a fairly narrow beam.

If I later go to a wider flood as the second light, is that best on the bar or helmet ?
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Interesting and helpful info on lights.
    I'll probably be fine for a while with what I use but in the back of my mind, I thought about a wider degree of coverage and going with a second light of different design. I have 2 niterider 750's now as helmet and bar mount and they are nice but a fairly narrow beam.

If I later go to a wider flood as the second light, is that best on the bar or helmet ?
    I like flood on the bars, spot on the helmet. This way the helmet light tracks where you are looking. Often the bars are pointing a different direction to where you are looking.

mtbr member
    I ride @ night a TON. If this darn forum would allow me to post photos I'd gladly share.

I ride 2-3 days a week at dark in the woods.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    I ride @ night a TON. If this darn forum would allow me to post photos I'd gladly share.

I ride 2-3 days a week at dark in the woods.
    Imgur.com is your friend

mtbr member

The number 1 reason not to ride a bicycle:
    safety.

50% of bicycle deaths happen at night.
    3% of bicycle rides happen at night.

Lights are worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    safety.

This is why setting a blistering good strava time on a downhill section at midnight is so bloody thrilling. Everyone else is asleep, I'm getting a dose of adrenaline. I won't jump high or far at night, but I'll still hit 30 km/h on narrow twisty single track with trees half a bar length away. I do this 3-5 times a week

Co Springs
    safety.

Did you mean to say;
    "The number 1 reason not to ride a bicycle at night:safety." ?

I'll bet many hit something they didn't see and/or other mitigating factors ie; Lighting related, skill or experience related, alcohol/chemistry or traffic related like hit by a motorist.

I see this in car and motorcycle incident reports too. Some tend to drive in their familiar habitual way no matter if it's less light out, slippery roads or foggy condition's. They simply do not adjust risk factors into the equation and end up pushing the envelope without even knowing it, not to mention leaving little or no room for margins of error. Unfortunately this is looking for trouble and standing a better chance of finding it.

Also, got to be thinking of the "What if" as when other vehicles or bicycles within your sphere of influence can demand your quick-thinking and evasive action making the best of choices if or when they screw up. I'll bet safety/protective gear play a role in those stats as well.

Knowing or reviewing some of these points is a good start to having some confidence and feeling in control of risk factors but the only way to guarantee you won't get hurt or die on a bike is never getting on one.

You can still own a bunch though !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Summer time here midnight bike rides are epic, no outside light pollution and pitch black trails with only your light for miles. The night wild life is quite pleasing as well, coyoteís, Foxís, raccoon, bear, mountain lion, marmot and the elusive badger. 95% of my night rides are solo and mid summer temps are in pleasant 70ís.
    I have specialized flux exp light and itís all i use. Backup turbo and a led flashlight in my back pack.
    For me the speed thrill of night riding is awsome in tight single track with heavily bushed trails makes you feel as if your triple your speed and if you make a mistake I️t hurts much less then daytime speed.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    safety.

As pointed out many of those are mistakes of driver and cyclist. Drivers being impaired (which is a huge issue during the day too due to cell phones).

But many mistakes of those on bikes:

Lack of adequate lighting, especially for viability. I see many on bicycles without tail lights.

Using wrong lights. Smaller issue but some will use lights that are far too powerful, blinding others and causing issues. This is why the EU is regulating bike lights. Bright lights (either high powered or just cheap but focused beams with insane glare) are dangerous to use on roads.

Dark clothing: HUGE ONE. So many are more worried about how they look versus being safe.

Not using reflective bits so increase visibility.

Basically riding at night on roads being dangerous is just as much the fault of those riding bikes as those driving. Talking numbers overall. Probably half of those hit by a car is due to not being properly visible. Other half is people that should have never been given a license in the first place. Just like the majority of day time fatalities. Most are impaired drivers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We seem to be talking about some vastly different venues for night riding here. In the context of MTBR night ride conversations, I had falsely assumed all riding was on dirt, but not so.

My night rides contain 25% back street residential areas with a 15mph speed limit, foot paths and dirt. Let's say 65% dirt.

Seems RAKC Ind you're talking about street riding where cyclists are intermixing with cars.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Prior to the "safety" issue being brought up I was referring to dirt mostly. I ride road after dark too but most of my night riding is done on my trail bike or fat bike on trails.

Riding trails there is no more safety concerns than daytime really (unless you live/ride where even being out side after dark is rather risky). Only safety matter there really is making sure to have 2 lights in case something goes wrong.

Co Springs
    I might have side-jacked the topic a bit but was wanting to elaborate more on the safety issue after seeing an opportunity with some pretty general stats posted by chrisx.

When isolating some of the behaviors and attitudes that are part of taking on something risk inherent, it has always helped me put things into a better or more personal perspective.
    Black Swan events will happen, and yet looking over a list of factors, you can decide to wear a helmet or other protective gear, good lighting, moderate speeds, contrasting or bright colors, no over consumption, etc... and see the stats change accordingly.