Fenix BA4C Case found- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Fenix BA4C Case found

Many of us have been looking for a good 2 cell battery holder, so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately. May just told me they can if there is interest.

Fenix BA4C Case found-image.jpg

The only issue is the need to swap the existing connector with the correct connector since it has a male connector rather than a female. I doubt they will swap it for us.

is there interest in this case?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GJHS View Post
    Yes, definitely!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The only issue is the need to swap the existing connector with the correct connector since it has a male connector rather than a female. I doubt they will swap it for us.
    For these people who aren't willing to do soldering job: it's possible to use simple female/female adapters, e.g. like this one:
    DC Converter Plug Female Female Adapter Cable 5 5 2 1 20cm 3A Copper Wire | eBay

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Interested - depending on the price.

Remember this case does not have protection, so you would charge the batteries out of the case, in a separate charger.

I doubt it would be difficult change the lead coming out of the case. For those that don't want to do get their fingers dirty, and haul out the soldering iron, a simple solution would be to use a Y cable. They're short and will do the gender bending job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Interested - depending on the price.
    I hope the statement about $15 is true:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...l#post11696915

Remember this case does not have protection, so you would charge the batteries out of the case, in a separate charger.
    If used with protected cells, it doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    I'd be interested in trying one if Gearbest can get them at that price.

Connector swap is an easy job. All you need is a soldering iron and some heat-shrink tubing- narrow for the internal wires, then self-adhesive heat shrink for the outer.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Definitely interested!

I would also be interested in the case that comes with the Fenix HP30... it has a battery gauge and USB port which I bet is properly designed unlike the Solarforce one.

https://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-hp30.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For the right price count me in.

But 15$ is too much. You can get the case in Germany for 20.

Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    For the right price count me in.

But 15$ is too much. You can get the case in Germany for 20.
    I wouldn't find $15 to be too much, given the Solarforce is ~ $10 and Fenix quality is significantly better than Solarforce IMHO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm interested also

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If using a regular 2 cell charger that just charges 18650s, is that dangerous because they are technically not getting balanced? ( I suppose they are getting close to balanced, if the charger is properly charging each cell....but...I think that's different than true balance charging from something like a hobby charger, right? )

thx.

Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    If using a regular 2 cell charger that just charges 18650s, is that dangerous because they are technically not getting balanced? ( I suppose they are getting close to balanced, if the charger is properly charging each cell....but...I think that's different than true balance charging from something like a hobby charger, right? )

thx.
    With a reasonable quality charger that charges each cell separately cells would typically be within .01-.02v of each other which is fine.

The concern with cells getting out balance when charged in a pack is they will tend to get more and more out of balance with each discharge/charge cycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I wouldn't find $15 to be too much, given the Solarforce is ~ $10 and Fenix quality is significantly better than Solarforce IMHO.
    +1.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Definitely interested!

I would also be interested in the case that comes with the Fenix HP30... it has a battery gauge and USB port which I bet is properly designed unlike the Solarforce one.

https://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-hp30.html
    I like that even more. This would allow you to power a phone in an emergency.

Would run times on most of the Gearbest 2x/3x/4x LED lights just be cut in half? Or might we see pretty comparable runtimes using quality high capacity cells?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    With a reasonable quality charger that charges each cell separately cells would typically be within .01-.02v of each other which is fine.

The concern with cells getting out balance when charged in a pack is they will tend to get more and more out of balance with each discharge/charge cycle.
    got it, that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I suspect hat the FT-30 Case would be much more expensive. For example it comes with the aluminum holster. While I do like a battery meter, I usually ride on packs that don't include one.

My concern would be if the USB port had the same parasitic drain it caused in the Solarstorm case. If implemented via the on/off switch for the battery meter lights, it would be a superior case, but price would be a deciding factor for me.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of our bike light packs serving double duty as a powerbank. MagicShine and Lupine have implemented them as dongles that plug into the regular end. I've even seen no-name third party ones that I'm less likey to trust. (Can't find a pic at the moment) A dongle does defeat "charge while riding, unless you use a Y cable.
    Name:  MJ-6086-9_medium.JPG
Views: 3484
Size:  12.7 KB
    Magicshine MJ-6086 USB Adapter: $14.95 USD

Name:  Lupine Small.png
Views: 3482
Size:  47.8 KB
    Lupine USB One: $19.50 USD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fenix BA4C Case found-screencap-2015-01-26-002.png  

I'd agree that price and parasitic drain are important reason ditch a USB port on the pack.

Although it'd be great if Gearbest would give us the option of at least trying the USB equipped pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I'd agree that price and parasitic drain are important reason ditch a USB port on the pack.

Although it'd be great if Gearbest would give us the option of at least trying the USB equipped pack.
    It's all about interest and sales. If they will sell a few of the packs, it's not worth the investment to order a lot. They have to deal with minimum orders so they can't just order a few.

I will ask. Please list which one your interested in and yes I know it depends on price. The more we order the cheaper they get, so which do you prefer. I prefer the simple pack without the meter. The old Magicshine pack turned me away from battery meters.

I honestly want whichever pack is cheapest and has the best sealing.

I can always get a single 18650 USB battery pack to keep in the camelback for emergencies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Please list which one your interested in and yes I know it depends on price.
    I'm in for the case mentioned initially: no meters, no protection, no USB power, please!

mtbr member
    I doubt it would be difficult change the lead coming out of the case.
    I have one of these cases. For the life of me I couldn't get to the innards to change out the cable. I would have broke something prying it apart. I'd be surprised if someone could keep the contact board in one piece getting it out to do the swap! I ended up buying the female-to-female adapter cable myself.

GJHS - don't count me for one since I have one, but I'd love to see a seller get these in stock!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I have one of these cases. For the life of me I couldn't get to the innards to change out the cable. I would have broke something prying it apart. I'd be surprised if someone could keep the contact board in one piece getting it out to do the swap! I ended up buying the female-to-female adapter cable myself.
    Hmm, I was thinking all what you'll need to do is, to remove three screws pictured here:

Is there different versions of that case?..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Hmm, I was thinking all what you'll need to do is, to remove three screws pictured here:

Is there different versions of that case?..
    Hmm . . . I can almost guarantee that mine doesn't have screws! I'll post up a pic tonight or at least by tomorrow. Is that one an older model? I got mine from a BLF user who I helped out about a year ago who got a few directly from Fenix. She inquired about more, but they wouldn't sell her anymore. We had interest in them over at BLF too. Tell you what - I'll post a link over at BLF to point those interested over here (though I don't know if they will create account over here or not - or if GJHS wants to create a BLF account either). I could be the mediator if you want.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hmm . . . I can almost guarantee that mine doesn't have screws! I'll post up a pic tonight or at least by tomorrow. Is that one an older model? I got mine from a BLF user who I helped out about a year ago who got a few directly from Fenix. She inquired about more, but they wouldn't sell her anymore. We had interest in them over at BLF too. Tell you what - I'll post a link over at BLF to point those interested over here (though I don't know if they will create account over here or not - or if GJHS wants to create a BLF account either). I could be the mediator if you want.

-Garry
    I checked current pictures of the case and I see screws.

I am a BLF member, I will post there if there is interest.

mtbr member
    I am a BLF member, I will post there if there is interest.
    Ah, I see now you started posting over at BLF. (I've been backing off of my BLF browsing and posting in the recent month.) I've created the thread already. Sorry if I
    stole some of your thunder. I'm not trying to take any credit or anything. The BLF thread is here.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thunder? Credit? Ha ha ha, it's all yours. My rep hasn't changed since the first pages of the Original Yinding thread. Now the Yinding warm tint still has me working way too hard for a free $30 light head. The only reward is getting some great deals for the forum and creating some cool new lights.

Thanks, I'm new on the BLF so I am cautious what to post.

My assumption (I know silly me) was that it would be possible to swap out the cable on the Fenix case, but if it turns out they can't easily be opened up to get access then I would recant my interest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would go for the original case.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    .. so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately...
    You 'd better have asked them wether they know a correct designed 2-cell case for outdoor usage

Fenix is violating all basic design rules, power source -> female connector!
    Even at low voltage! Possibility of a short within a bagpag for example..

Btw..Archie's cable is for indoor use only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchifan View Post
    Fenix is violating all basic design rules, power source -> female connector!
    Not really: it's pretty common.

Even at low voltage! Possibility of a short within a bagpag for example..
    Such connectors use insulating ring at the edge: it's quite difficult to accidentally short it. At least, MagicShine-style is more prone to shortage by, e.g., key or metal pencil's cap.

Btw..Archie's cable is for indoor use only.
    I know, but it's better than nothing for those who don't like to resolder the cable. Many cheap lights are equipped with that type of connector anyway...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Many of us have been looking for a good 2 cell battery holder, so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately. May just told me they can if there is interest.

When you discuss this with Dora and May could you ask if they can order their amount with the correct connector. Or what the minimum would be.
    This would have the added benefit for the manufacturer of not selling something a bigger customer considers part of their product line.
    And it's better for us.

Fenix BA4C Case found-fenix-ba4c-case-found-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    One more thing. I've always thinking Fenix battery box is completely waterproof - but now, browsing various pictures available on the net, noticed that rubber seal inside the cover is sometimes present, and sometimes not:

Review: Fenix BT20 Lights | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

https://images.singletracks.com/blog...1-14.31.20.jpg

GJHS, could you please clarify whether currently discussed one is waterproof or not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi, I am coming from BLF because the possibility of a group buy for this box. I would be definitively interested if a good price can be agreed. For me, this would be around 10-12 eur for the box and up to 14-15 if the standard connector is fitted AND the carrying pouch is included. Right now this box (the original fenix BA4C) can be bought in several sites in central Europe for around 12 Eur, so I don't see much advantage on a group buy unless a better deal is got. In addition, 2s1p pack with charging/protection circuit and good quality batteries and the right connector can be purchased for about 20-25 Eur, so the proce of an empty box without circuitry should be close to 10 Eur to fill it with your choice of branded 18650 and make the ends meet. Anyway, these are just my thoughts. Thanks to GJHS for exploring the possibilities and see you around!

mtbr member
    Some quick pics of my Fenix case. Interestingly enough my box is labeled "Gift" (perhaps due to the way the user I got it from bought it from Fenix).

The black "felt like" covering in the top end does not want to come off. I would have to tear the %$#@ out of it to try and remove it. The board it is attached to does not budge either. There likely are screws underneath, but I didn't feel them (though I didn't search hard and had to grab the pics quick).

No telling how old my sample is. I received it approx. Feb. 2014.

One thing to be aware of is the very short cable! Pair this with a Yinding with adapter cable and you've only got like 18 inches of cable! (By the way, I just used this case with the adapter cable this morning to get my Yinding Tint pics.)

-Garry

I wonder how many we'd need to order to get custom cables.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Iker2 View Post
    Right now this box (the original fenix BA4C) can be bought in several sites in central Europe for around 12 Eur, so I don't see much advantage on a group buy unless a better deal is got.
    Could you post some links, please? Till now, I've only found it in one German web shop for 20 (probably, postage cost will be added, too)...

mtbr member
    If you're timid about cutting and soldering the cable, you could attach that adapter with about 25 cents of heat shrink tubing, and make a waterproof connection with another piece.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Could you post some links, please? Till now, I've only found it in one German web shop for 20 (probably, postage cost will be added, too)...
    I am new in the forum and I don't know your policy about links, so PM sent to a checz store carrying them at 11.50 eur + 6 shipping

The black "felt like" covering in the top end does not want to come off. I would have to tear the %$#@ out of it to try and remove it. The board it is attached to does not budge either. There likely are screws underneath, but I didn't feel them (though I didn't search hard and had to grab the pics quick).
    -Garry
    Definitely don't want to destroy that gasket as I think it would very hard to find replacement material.

If you look at the photo showing the placement of the 3 screws that are (I assume) behind that gasket you might be able to carefully poke a screwdriver thru and extract them and pull the board with the gasket still intact.

mtbr member
    By the way, I used two KeepPower protected Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh cells (pretty long) in this case and they fit fine.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am new in the forum and I don't know your policy about links, so PM sent to a checz store carrying them at 11.50 eur + 6 shipping
    Got it, thanks! So, actual end price will be around 17.50: too much IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Got it, thanks! So, actual end price will be around 17.50: too much IMHO.
    Yeah, 17,27 shipped international.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, let's summarize the questions we currently have for GearBest about this item:

1)- Retail price?
    2)- Waterproofness?
    3)- Mounting pouch included?
    4)- Ability to be disassembled?
    5)- Custom connector (MagicShine or SolarStorm) possible?

GJHS, please be our messenger here!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have been using this Fenix battery case with Callie's Kustoms 18650 3600mah each for a few weeks now. This combo is awesome, I would love a 4 cell!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fenix BA4C Case found-p1060781.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I posted on BLF earlier but I guess it's better to keep track of this thread instead.
    I really want one

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    17.50 with shipping = USD $19.90.

I suspect the price from GearBest will be less, with free shipping.

Guys there is a significant difference between convincing a no-name small manufacturer to make some changes, and getting a name brand to alter their product. Another thing to consider is that Fenix would probably be filling the order from warehouse stock. I'd bet that when they had these made, they built all they thought they'd need for a couple of years. What you're asking is akin to saying "Hey Maytag, we want washers where the drum spins the other way."

Gary, is there an O-ring around the screw on the outside part of the case?

At most they'd consider it water resistant, claiming the foamy top provides enough of a seal. You might be able to add a large O-ring around the lip of the case. It's got a big screw down the middle. Logic says that's very likely a point of water ingress. Some water could work it's way through the plastic strain relief where the cable enters the box. This isn't a battery box for scuba diving.

mtbr member
    Yes, there is a nice fairly thick O-ring on mine. It's tough to see (hidden up under the knob). The O-ring seats on a kind of a raised platform which has a "seat" for the O-ring.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's exactly where I expected it to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What's a good way to mount this to a back of a helmet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't really recommend that, best to put battery in back-pack. I think it adds to much weight on head !!

Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Don't really recommend that, best to put battery in back-pack. I think it adds to much weight on head !!
    I think for a 2x18650 pack it can be OK and if mounted near the back of the helmet actually helps to balance out the weight of the light on the front. For anything more than 2 cells I would agree it becomes too heavy and is better to put in your backpack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Doesn't look like but this pack could be a decent alternative if the cells could be accessed and replaced by good ones:http://http://www.dx.com/p/8-4v-4000mah-waterproof-rechargeable-li-ion-18650-battery-pack-black-260079#.VMkx3WSG_sc

I suppose that the cells included are junk but for the price..... at least the carrying pouch and the connector could be savaged

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cells are probably of junk grade, but the rest seems Ok. In addition to casing, pouch and cable, protection PCB could be used, too - but as usually with Chinese stuffs, after thorough testing only...

Doesn't look like but this pack could be a decent alternative if the cells could be accessed and replaced by good ones:http://http://www.dx.com/p/8-4v-4000mah-waterproof-rechargeable-li-ion-18650-battery-pack-black-260079#.VMkx3WSG_sc

I suppose that the cells included are junk but for the price..... at least the carrying pouch and the connector could be savaged
    I actually ordered on of those a few weeks back and the shipment is waiting to clear customs on my side. My plan is replace the crappy cells with some quality 3400ma (NCR18650B) cells.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    In conversation with May, I think the price will be right. She alluded to being able to get the female connector and said we would talk tonight about it since I was up almost all night working on the 3C issue.

I think by now with the few deals that I have started with GearBest, everyone knows to be patient for the best deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks again, GJHS! Awaiting the details...

In conversation with May, I think the price will be right. She alluded to being able to get the female connector and said we would talk tonight about it since I was up almost all night working on the 3C issue.

I think by now with the few deals that I have started with GearBest, everyone knows to be patient for the best deal.
    Excellent news!

(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GJHS again.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I actually ordered on of those a few weeks back and the shipment is waiting to clear customs on my side. My plan is replace the crappy cells with some quality 3400ma (NCR18650B) cells.
    Cool, that can save me a few $$ and weeks. Please report if the cells are replaceable!!. On the other hand, 3,400 mAh cells may be not the best option depending on which light they are going to be used with: most lights won't be able to discharge these cells down to 2.5 V and use the added capacity, and even if they do the over-discharge protection circuit of the pack will kick in. You can save some money using branded 3000mAh with the same or better results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Please report if the cells are replaceable!!.
    They're definitely not: it isn't a "battery holder", but just 2s battery in rubber enclosure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    In conversation with May, I think the price will be right. She alluded to being able to get the female connector and said we would talk tonight l.
    That is excellent news, thank you. Please don't forget about the mounting/velcro pouch, at least as an option.

Cool, that can save me a few $$ and weeks. Please report if the cells are replaceable!!. On the other hand, 3,400 mAh cells may be not the best option depending on which light they are going to be used with: most lights won't be able to discharge these cells down to 2.5 V and use the added capacity, and even if they do the over-discharge protection circuit of the pack will kick in. You can save some money using branded 3000mAh with the same or better results.
    This pack will most likely have spot welded straps connecting the cells together and connecting to the protection board. The cells will be replaceable only for those of us comfortable with somewhat fussy soldering and the application of heat shrink tubing to hold it all together.

I'll be using the 3400mAh mostly because I have a bunch of them already, but I also think they deliver the best bang for the buck. The discharge curves I've seen show them dropping off rather quickly around 3.2-3.0v (depending on current) so there is very little value in discharging them down to 2.5v and you risk shortening their lives by doing so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'll be using the 3400mAh mostly because I have a bunch of them already, but I also think they deliver the best bang for the buck. The discharge curves I've seen show them dropping off rather quickly around 3.2-3.0v (depending on current) so there is very little value in discharging them down to 2.5v and you risk shortening their lives by doing so.
    Well, having them available is enough of a reason but I don't quite agree with the other. The added capacity of 3400 mAh is because they are designed for discharging at the low 2.5V (that won't damage them) at which most lights and their PCBs cannot use them. If you have a look at this wonderful battery review/comparator site:Battery test-review 18650 comparator and you choose to compare panasonic 3.400 with, for example, LG 3000 mAh D1 batteries at 2.5A or 5A discharge draws, you will see that along their usable part, while they are above 3.20V, the LGs will hold as well or better (although the Panasonic are excellent cells and they keep very well at the beginning).

But hey, I am not expert and this is quite off-topic, please let us know how the dx pouch is built and whether or not it can be somehow reused when you get it!

Well, having them available is enough of a reason but I don't quite agree with the other. The added capacity of 3400 mAh is because they are designed for discharging at the low 2.5V (that won't damage them) at which most lights and their PCBs cannot use them. If you have a look at this wonderful battery review/comparator site:Battery test-review 18650 comparator and you choose to compare panasonic 3.400 with, for example, LG 3000 mAh D1 batteries at 2.5A or 5A discharge draws, you will see that along their usable part, while they are above 3.20V, the LGs will hold as well or better (although the Panasonic are excellent cells and they keep very well at the beginning).

But hey, I am not expert and this is quite off-topic, please let us know how the dx pouch is built and whether or not it can be somehow reused when you get it!

Thanks for that comparison link... very useful. I agree for high current applications (5A and above) the LGs appear to shine, but the NCR18650B will last longer than the LGs at the lower current loads though. The lights these pack are designed for are drawing 3A or less (per cell) so I still feel the NCR18650B are a better choice for that application.

Fenix BA4C Case found-capture.png

I'm certainly no expert either, but I do my research and pick products that are both well reviewed and have worked well for me in the past. The NCR18650B definitely fall into that category.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    hey lets do it. count me in for two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So from my understanding, if I have non protected cells but monitor level via the indicator lights on my headlight it would be ok, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    So from my understanding, if I have non protected cells but monitor level via the indicator lights on my headlight it would be ok, right?
    No. If the cells aren't totally equal (in terms of charge level, capacity, internal resistance), you can't detect it by overall output voltage. Exactly the same issue is currently discussed in "SolarStorm 2s2p case" tread BTW.

If unprotected cells are used in such boxes (without correct protection scheme), weaker cells will eventually become damaged. I won't recommend putting unprotected cells in boxes that are unable to monitor them properly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok, we are trying for the SolarStorm connector. This is a slow process, so please be patient. I'm doing the best I can.

mtbr member
    Ok, we are trying for the SolarStorm connector. This is a slow process, so please be patient. I'm doing the best I can.
    Mike, even if Gearbest could get some of the rubber 2-cell casings as seen in the DX battery pack I suspect we'd buy some to waterproof Hunk Lee packs. I would definitely take a few.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks, I was curious because I have about 16 unprotected panasonic cells that I am pretty sure became unbalanced in their packs over time and I was hoping to salvage what I could from them

Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Mike, even if Gearbest could get some of the rubber 2-cell casings as seen in the DX battery pack I suspect we'd buy some to waterproof Hunk Lee packs. I would definitely take a few.
    I wanted to do exactly this, as the Hunk Lee packs are made with my preferred NCR18650B cells. Only problem (for me) is Hunk Lee wants $12.95 to ship a single pack to Canada so I decided to get the DX pack and re-build it with Panasonic cells.

If you go the Hunk Lee route and waterproof cover, keep in mind you'll need to cut open the shrink wrap and unsolder the power cable so that you can feed it through the hole in that silicon 2 cell casing and then reconnect to the pack.

mtbr member
    I wanted to do exactly this, as the Hunk Lee packs are made with my preferred NCR18650B cells. Only problem (for me) is Hunk Lee wants $12.95 to ship a single pack to Canada so I decided to get the DX pack and re-build it with Panasonic cells.

If you go the Hunk Lee route and waterproof cover, keep in mind you'll need to cut open the shrink wrap and unsolder the power cable so that you can feed it through the hole in that silicon 2 cell casing and then reconnect to the pack.
    I would probably just cut and splice the cable if it's already nicely shrink wrapped.
    Either that or hold my nose and go the plasti-dip route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hernluis View Post
    hey lets do it. count me in for two.
    +1 as well.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Eff it, I'll take two as well. Hopefully with the female plug but if not it isn't the end of the world

Yeah!
    I regretted having to send back the BT20 I puchased solely for the loss of the pack. I'd like two cases.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

1:18
    Great find. I'll take two.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not really: it's pretty common.
    Maybe, but not allowed within EU, the problem is the voltage at the primary side.
    If German custom offices will find them they will be seized, sometimes they will be sent back. Sometimes you can choose, return or destruction.
    A few offices let you import by cutting the power cable at the housing.
    As a private person you have normally no chance.

The "CE" sign on your phote should be Certified Europe, but it's rather China Export
    BTW, it's the most important reason for the "light head only" offers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchifan View Post
    Maybe, but not allowed within EU,
    What? Can you provide any link to official papers?

the problem is the voltage at the primary side.
    If German custom offices will find them they will be seized, sometimes they will be sent back.
    Maybe German laws differ from common EU, but I wonder how mentioned Fenix case is currently sold in Germany then, if the design is illegal?

In any case, I'm living in EU, and such power adapters are quite common today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just a heads up that we are looking at a March release here. In 2 weeks, China will close for a week (18-25th) so that will affect this project. I'm working on it, just don't expect it tomorrow. The connector swap is what is slowing it down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No prob, in for 2 with the connector swap.

So this is being ordered by Gearbest with the female connector and no USB?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If it IS getting the proper connector I'm pumped! If not I'm still in for 2. Pretty excited for this

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    So this is being ordered by Gearbest with the female connector and no USB?
    Work in progress. It didn't have a USB to start.

jja
    mtbr member
    Great, I'm in for a couple also. Thx GJHS!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    In for one

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok I spoke with May last night and we are in persuade mode. The Spring Festival is slowing everything down, since the factories are busy getting ready to close for two weeks. Fenix is going to take some persuading to switch the connector for us, when the right people are free. As I said be patient, this is looking to be an after Holiday project.

I also know the interest in a 4 cell box as well. More info when I get it

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I would be in for 3 maybe 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't care which way the connector goes. Would be fine with the female cable adapter Archie found, even if it isn't waterproof I'm not doing any midnight triathalons. Still like to know though whether there would be an elegant way of mounting this case directly onto either a helmet or at least a head strap. Doesn't seem to have any belt loops like on the SolarStorm; hate having to ductape battery packs to my hair all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Don't care which way the connector goes. Would be fine with the female cable adapter Archie found, even if it isn't waterproof I'm not doing any midnight triathalons. Still like to know though whether there would be an elegant way of mounting this case directly onto either a helmet or at least a head strap. Doesn't seem to have any belt loops like on the SolarStorm; hate having to ductape battery packs to my hair all the time.
    With the 2 cell silicone covered cases I use a velcro strap to attach it to the helmet. This works well because of the sticky surface of the silcone, so I'm not sure how well this would work with a hard case. Maybe putting some rubber around it, like a section of inner tube, would bump of the grip so that the velcro strap could hold it in place better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok update time. Fenix turned down our request to swap the cable and trust me, it wasn't for a lack of trying. Now on to the good news.

The case is waterproof, we should be able to get the Nylon pouch and the price should be $15. All this needs to be confirmed and I'm sorry for the slow info. Next step is to get a good female adapter that will be waterproof.

In one week the Chinese factories will close for 2 weeks so be patient.

Is there still interest or drop it?

I'm still interested in one at least... I will try swapping the cable myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The case is waterproof, we should be able to get the Nylon pouch and the price should be $15.
    Perfect!

Yes, I'm still interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    GJHS, how many straps does the nylon pouch have? Is there a picture somewhere?

Thanks.

Ok, so Fenix wont redo the wiring, but will Gearbest bundle it with an adapter?

Personally, I'd love a female-to-female splitter with a USB output. That'd be sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ok update time. Fenix turned down our request to swap the cable and trust me, it wasn't for a lack of trying. Now on to the good news.

The case is waterproof, we should be able to get the Nylon pouch and the price should be $15. All this needs to be confirmed and I'm sorry for the slow info. Next step is to get a good female adapter that will be waterproof.

I will still buy one but price is not as low as I would expect. The box can be found at 11.50 in some sites in Europe (including VAT), although shipping costs rise that price to 17 Eur (and the shipping would take less than a week). Since GB won't customize the plug, my decision to recommend the deal would be driven by the quality of the pouch and accessories for mounting in the helmet included (I think that these are not included in the 11.50 deal). Maybe you can use that reference price to press a little: GB is not charging for taxes and they will use the cheapest shipping rates so I asume their margin is still high.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Here's the Nylon pouch

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  33.0 KB

I'm sure, as with the other deals before, the price will be as cheap as possible. I'm sorry the info is so slow because of the holiday, though I'm looking forward to a bit of a break. I will get more info as soon as possible. As I said, this isn't the only case we're working on, so stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    that looks sweet, seems to be the real deal. I'll take it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    that looks sweet, seems to be the real deal. I'll take it. Thanks!
    I just found a picture online, not from GB. I'm sure it will be real, May said that it would be hard to swap the connector with a big manufacturer like Fenix. A clone company would be happy to swap things.

As I said, this isn't the only case we're working on, so stay tuned.
    May said that it would be hard to swap the connector with a big manufacturer like Fenix. A clone company would be happy to swap things.
    I see, said the blind man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, I would still take 2. Hopefully this all works out

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Excellent GJHS! Thanks again for your undaunted resolve.

Yeah!
    Still interested in a decent quality product from Fenix. Not so much the cheap chinese stuff, especially when they start throwing in electronics like USB outputs. I've got the cheap non-usb 4-cell case, and while it works, I don't trust it will withstand a 4-foot drop, or swinging by the cable, should it depart it's pouch. It's very apparent the Fenix case is made of higher quality plastic and electrical components.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    What? Can you provide any link to official papers?.
    I'm sorry...I didn't research

..but I wonder how mentioned Fenix case is currently sold in Germany then, if the design is illegal?.
    I'm wondering, too.
    Maybe 'cause it's a big company and official imports are handled by special dealers?

If you - as a private person - try to import you may recieve a letter from your custum office "dangerous item, doesn't consist to European requirements" or similar.

mtbr member
    Hey guys I just stumbled upon this thread looking for batteries for my Cree knock-off lights.

I would buy two of those Fenix 2 cell cases. They look solid. A soldering iron and some shrink wrap should take care of the "wrong plug" issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Still interested, for sure. No need for female adapter, as I have soldering iron.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm interested.

are you also working on sourcing another 4 cell pack ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A flat four cell would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Moguo View Post
    I'm interested.

are you also working on sourcing another 4 cell pack ?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    yep at least 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    May will put the box up for presale tomorrow if you want, so you can preorder to avoid any supply issues and make sure they order enough to avoid waiting for second batches or lack of supply. The info on the presale will be basic and may be updated when the sample arrives. No money will come out of your account until it ships. Or if you guys prefer you can wait until it comes into stock and then buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    May will put the box up for presale tomorrow if you want, so you can preorder to avoid any supply issues and make sure they order enough to avoid waiting for second batches or lack of supply.
    Thanks, but...
    Original/Real Yinding YD 2xU2 found - Page 25- Mtbr.com
    The reason that the some late orders were shipped before the earlier orders was explained. When you order on presale, the money is held by PayPal and not released until the presale is over. When the presale ends, PayPal sends the money for all of the orders at the same time and the orders are released as they are paid, so the original presale order means nothing. Again, maybe not a popular answer yet the honest answer.
    It seems to me that preordering from GB is essentially pointless...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It seems to me that preordering from GB is essentially pointless...
    I was wondering about it too .. but they have a sale going on now ... with coupon codes for about 10% off ... I was hoping to pick up the yinding + this battery case and if the order went in now, i was thinking ( maybe ) that could save a few bucks.

not sure if its worth it...and a bit worried the longer i wait the less likely i'll get the good yindings ( although it seems that the 3c fixed ones are what i would get now which is what i would want )

ah, the fun of ordering from China!

oh, i do see the fenix for "presale" now ( both with and without sleeve - $20/$15 USD )

funny - they give you a full set of 4 18650s for less with a light than an empty 2 cell case. shows the quality of those cells, i guess.

=== EDIT ===
    Can't put "presale" and regular items in cart at same time...so can't apply the better coupon on the higher total basket amount. ( 8% off worked) oh well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

The case is waterproof, we should be able to get the Nylon pouch and the price should be $15.
    Well, from the presale info it seems that the $15 is without the pouch and that is an additional +5$ option. Considering the connector swap needed, and that the box has no protection circuit and can't be used for charging, I am going to re-think it. With quality batteries we are talking about a roughly $35 2S1P battery pack!. I don't see the good deal factor. Sorry to sound disappointed GJHS, I thank you anyway for your efforts. I just expected that the 15$ would be the upper limit for the box+connector+pouch or at least one of these pluses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It was my understanding that it should be $15 for complete set (with nylon pouch), so maybe we'll have to wait for some coupon to get right price?

Thing that concerns me more is, the absence of waterproofing gasket in the case - on current GB pictures, the box without rubber seal inside the cover is pictured. If it's indeed will be shipped in such condition, whole deal seems less attractive to me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Thing that concerns me more is, the absence of waterproofing gasket in the case - on current GB pictures, the box without rubber seal inside the cover is pictured. If it's indeed will be shipped in such condition, whole deal seems less attractive to me...
    Not sure, but looks to me like there is either an I or at least C profile ring set into the lip of the case, rather than there being a gasket inside the cover as is the case with the SolarStorm. Might make sense because the Fenix cover overlaps the case while the SS cover is inset. Again can't really tell from the pic.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  4.6 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok here's the deal: I didn't want a repeat of last time, where people wanted more than GB ordered so I figured if we put up the presale early before they order from Fenix, we wouldn't have the problem because we would have an exact amount. Remember you're not locked in by signing up for the presale.

With that said, we have a few issues such as not being able to give the EXACT price of the item and full information. It will be waterproof and the same case as the BT20 package. Fenix is bigger than SolarStorm and Yinding so they aren't as willing to change and negotiations are slower. Remember that we are breaking new ground once again, this isn't an item that they normally sell separately or can be gotten easily by most. The connector is coming and will all be worked in. Not all want or need it so should it be included in the price? As always with these projects, be patient and at the end everyone will be happy (remember the starting price of the Yinding?). The point was to put the presale up now to show you that it is coming and see how many want it. It was my idea so blame comes here, GB was waiting. I can ask to take it down if you dont think its a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Waterproofness was confirmed by May or so was understood from a previous msg by GJHS. Since it is the original thing, it is waterproofed as reviewed in this video: fenix bt20 bike light review and pictures (see minute 3 and forward).

My cons are:

- Incorrect plug and need of adaptor for most if not all lights.
    - Pouch seems high quality but bulky for the degree of protection offered. Apparently the velcro straps are setup for a "vertical" position in a helmet or bar, whereas most users will prefer an horizontal position on the helmet (can anyone confirm this please, I have not found any picture showing the back side of the pouch and the orientation of the velcro straps).
    - Price is high for an empty box with no charge/discharge circuitry nor protection.

Still, there are few alternatives on 2s1P packs. To mention some, the Magicshine MJ-886 replacement pack is a 2200 Ah compact and sealed unit with the right cable end and moulded-in stirrups for velcro straps, which can be found as a replacement for about $30. A custom hunk-lee pack with premium batteries and circuitry would be a good alternative in that budget range after being rubberized. So the Fenix is a good alternative if you really need to swap batteries on the go, and if price with coupon lowers to $15 it may be a good option for some of us looking for that single advantage. For those looking for a simple 2S1P helmet box, I don't see it as an obvious superdeal at 20$ + batteries.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Not sure, but looks to me like there is either an I or at least C profile ring set into the lip of the case,
    I'm not sure either. Googling reveals that this case exists in at least two variants: with and without rubber layer in the cover - and it's clear from the pictures of the "rubbered" one, that edge of the case is pressed toward that rubber:
    20150126_191446.jpg Photo by garrybunk | Photobucket

Maybe there's another seal indeed; let's see...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    ah, the fun of ordering from China!
    Sure!

mtbr member
    I can ask to take it down if you dont think its a good idea.
    Please dont

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In my opinion shouldn't be offering a presale if they don't have the final price or they don't know what exactly is shipping (Velcro case, adapter, etc. ).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    May sent me pictures of the Fenix Box sample before she went on vacation. You can see the O ring seal and the black felt people were worried about. Any questions? May should be back in a few days
    Fenix BA4C Case found-img_20150212_162527.jpgFenix BA4C Case found-img_20150212_162544.jpgFenix BA4C Case found-img_20150212_162552.jpgFenix BA4C Case found-img_20150212_162556.jpgFenix BA4C Case found-img_20150212_162603.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    GJHS - so its going to come with the male connector that doesn't work "out of the box", is that what I'm getting? Even for those of us that are too lame to solder a fix, that just means buying some cable adapter. I suppose I can live with that

thanks again for all your work on this and the light too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes, at this point, Fenix isn't willing to swap the connector for us. A sample should be sent to me and I will see how easy it is to swap. In the meantime, May is looking for a waterproof click together female to female adapter.

mtbr member
    My Lord, so much kerfuffle about nothing!

The case comes with foam in the cap for noise abation or WHATEVER reason, AND a rubber o-ring in the lip of the base! There is no case without an o-ring! I picked up the BT20 at the start when few stores had them in stock and there has always been a o-ring, albeit hard to see from images that are not close up. It's a firm fit, I was pushing down on the lid firmly while spinning the knob to ensure I never strip the thread or pull out the captured nut.

For those wanting a great deal... this is nothing like the cheap China cases. Appearance is that of good quality ABS, very solid, has some heft to it, no doubt will handle impacts well. There's always that "other" case if you want to save $5, and those "other" battery packs with super thin plastic cases or no case at all and batteries that aren't worth their weight in donkey dung if you want to save even more.

The pouch serves to hold the case onto something, not protect it. If you want protection, stuff some thick Neoprene in there and call it a day. It orients in the vertical if attachiing to a belt, which is probably what they intended, being that Fenix makes a lot of spelunking lamps. You can orient it any way you want if you attach it to a strap of any type that you strap to your helmet. Velcro strips, helmet lamp straps, compression straps, length of paracord, whatever.

Thanks to Fenix for having the foresight to provide this type of battery setup for their lights when no other major brand has stepped up, and also for considering release of the product to help fill a major need for us. And also to everyone working to push this through for us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigflamingtaco View Post
    Appearance is that of good quality ABS, very solid, has some heft to it, no doubt will handle impacts well.
    Have you actually checked that?

The pouch serves to hold the case onto something, not protect it.
    I believe, it adds some degree of protection, too: at least from mud, scratches, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bigflamingtaco View Post
    My Lord, so much kerfuffle about nothing!
    That's the fun of it isn't it?

I agree that maybe we are being too picky on the features of the box but that is what this is all about: given the lack of many alternatives on 2s1p boxes for helmet mount, and the looks of the Fenix, we got excited about the GB. However, since it isn't a cheap alternative and the characteristics were not firmly stated before setting a price, it is normal that some discussion has arisen. Call it kerfuffle if you like.

Personally I will most likely buy the box due to lack of alternatives. However, I see quite a few things that could be improved from a biker's perspective and I was just trying to state them clearly so there might have been some chance to amend them in part for this GB. Unfortunately it is not going to be possible and I understand it, it is certainly not due to a lack of diligence from GJHS.

I also appreciate that Gearbest is willing to distribute the Fenix product, but let's not forget that the product is already available in restricted markets (Germany, central Europe...), at approximately the same price (if we consider sales taxes). And what GB is going to do, apparently, is to bundle it with a cable adapter. Which is Ok, purchasing or not is our decision.... but complaining is our right.

I still don't see the box as my perfect solution due to the reasons commented in previous posts. However, I'll customize it as I have been doing with other setups. But when some of my friends ask me for a good deal on a 2s1p battery pack for their helmet lights, I might be looking elsewhere unless the guy really knows that he is getting an empty box with the wrong connector and a pouch with the wrong orientation, which with premium batteries will be about 35$... It can't be charged directly and has no safety features... but gives you the freedom to use and remove batteries charged elsewhere (freedom that should come with the responsibility of knowing what they are doing if they mix unprotected cells with unbalanced resistance and/or charge). So that single last thing is really what can make it worthy in my opinion.

Yeah!
    Have you actually checked that?

I believe, it adds some degree of protection, too: at least from mud, scratches, etc.
    Had I sent it in for elemental analysis, or received a composition report from Fenix, I could have used more definitive wording than"Appearance". Unfortunately, you have only my anecdotal declaration that stepping on the damn thing while chasing down an obnoxious child didn't phase it, something I know my awesome coitus case would never tolerate. The awesome coitus case feels brittle Vs. the Fenix case. Appearances are the AC case is void of strengthening fibers, but again, no proper analysis has been performed.

Sure, the pouch offers *some* protection, but nothing I would consider useful. The pouch is not waterproof, is not made of kevlar, and doesn't have enough thickness to sufficiently temper the g's generated during an impact. At best, it will retain the case at a location that is away from poundy things should one crash.

Personally, I am going to use a strap to attach the case directly to the bar, and save the pouches for spelunking. It is a durable case.

Yeah!
    That's the fun of it isn't it?
    It's a discussion when there is opportunity to improve the product. When no improvement will occur, its just complaining. Start a crowd fund discussion and the comments gain validity. Here, they only distract from focusing on what matters, namely the packaging of adapters or cable ends, and cost.

Just to be clear, I'm not picking on you personally, I want to narrow this down to the important details as we approach the release date.

Regarding lack of protection, this is a case designed for use of loose protected batteries that are charged elsewhere. As an example, we have several handfuls of flashlights, science projects for the kids, and several power backups they all use loose 18650's, so we already use a few loose chargers. If I wanted to plug in a pack, I'd just take a group of batteries to Batterie Plus, have them weld them up, then add the plug and shrink wrap. It would cost less and be lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    It's a discussion when there is opportunity to improve the product. When no improvement will occur, its just complaining. Start a crowd fund discussion and the comments gain validity. Here, they only distract from focusing on what matters, namely the packaging of adapters or cable ends, and cost. ... Just to be clear, I'm not picking on you personally, I want to narrow this down to the important details as we approach the release date.
    Hell yeah, and by focusing on what matters (at least I have tried) we have discovered that no improvement will occur, and the presale goes out with no further details. Therefore we complain. I find it pretty obvious.

No offense taken at all but c'mon man! this thread is about the case and its group buy. Where else can we discuss its quality/design and the cost-benefits of the deal? Maybe my English is too sloppy and I write too much, sorry if that is the CASE

We can move the technical discussion of the box elsewhere. This may not be the place nor the time, but for me the lack of protection needs to be very well stated and understood by the buyers, and it is also related to the production costs and the retail price that should be paid. People is going to strap this to their heads, and they are eventually going to use unprotected "uranusfire" cells mixing brands, capacities and charge levels. I was just pointing that out

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    We can move the technical discussion of the box elsewhere.
    I think, the place we're currently using is exactly dedicated for discussions like this one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I agree! And for the record, the box appeals to guys (and gals) like me who:

1. are located in the US so can't get the fenix box easily
    2. already have quality protected cells and charger for said cells
    3. don't have any other battery packs or chargers
    4. don't need 4 cell packs cuz we're too wussy to ride for that long in the dark
    5. figure to combine this with the yinging for a perfect combo

mtbr member
    And #6 know that two high quality high capacity name branded cells will run longer and safer than 4 junk Chinese cells.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok Guys, last update. The first batch is 160 pieces because Fenix is asking for a huge order to continue to supply them so order now, first come first serve. Price is $11.99 with coupon code BT20CASE. If you already presale ordered at a higher price, email your order number to May and she will refund the difference.

Fenix is being a bit difficult with this so they now won't supply the Nylon cases at all until again we order a large amount. So as it stands unless something changes, this batch is the last batch. Hopefully Fenix will reconsider. I think this is because the BT20 light will soon, no longer be made and to continue to make the box, they will need a commitment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Could you clarify please: the cases will be actually supplied by Fenix IF at least 160 orders will be placed now, or the 160 pcs. batch is already at GearBest warehouse & ready to ship?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They have or can get 160, after that Fenix wants an order of 1000 to continue making the case. As I mentioned the BT20 is ending production and so is the case I think. So with a big order they will keep making the case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, ordered it. Hope presale order will be processed correctly this time. BTW, the version with pouch is still currently offered for presale on GB site, with "29 pre-orders" note. Some of GB people are still trying to sell it despite lack of supply?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    GJHS can you confirm that the order will come with a female to female adapter as well?
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My understanding is, it was never officially promised...

Does Gearbest even sell a female to female DC converter cable? I can't even find one to order alongside the case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I believe she is still sourcing them and no adapter was promised. All in all this project has been an absolute PITA and the holiday didn't help. Fenix has changed their minds so many times and has made it very difficult, not to mention that information has been slow to get, so I apologize for the delays. If there is great interest in the case, it will continue though I think it may just fade, 1000 is a big order if there is little interest. I think it's a great deal at $11.99. I prefer to use loose 18650 batteries rather than a pack. I use them year round in my flashlights so it's money well spent as opposed to my packs that collect dust in the cold season.

I will see if May has the Female connectors or when she will and post when I know.

Ok Guys, last update. The first batch is 160 pieces because Fenix is asking for a huge order to continue to supply them so order now, first come first serve. Price is $11.99 with coupon code BT20CASE. If you already presale ordered at a higher price, email your order number to May and she will refund the difference.

Fenix is being a bit difficult with this so they now won't supply the Nylon cases at all until again we order a large amount. So as it stands unless something changes, this batch is the last batch. Hopefully Fenix will reconsider. I think this is because the BT20 light will soon, no longer be made and to continue to make the box, they will need a commitment.
    Thanks for fighting the good flight to keep this deal alive. I'm in for one, even though I don't actually need it so much now as I ended up making my own silicon covered pack with soldered NCR18650Bs.

mtbr member
    Thanks @GJHS for doing all this work. I think there are a lot of lurkers benefiting from this information so don't get too down on yourself. No need to apologize to anybody here.

I've read the whole thread and a couple of somewhat critical/anxious posters is to be expected.

I ordered the Fenix case last night and the $25ish 2-light CREE helmet lamp as well. I have a spare plug I cut off a dead battery for just this eventuality... a couple of minutes with my soldering iron and shrink warp and all will be good. I'll pick up a few good batteries and a charger too... and I'll have a cool helmet set up that does away with a cord dangling from my backpack to the back of my helmet. I've been worried that someday I'll snag that cord on a low hanging branch or something which would be pretty bad.

all thanks to you and a couple other super helpful guys.

Thanks.

GJHS, thanks for your efforts. I've ordered one case, let's see how it works mounted on the frame.

mtbr member
    Not having followed the thread closely, who is May that I am supposed to email?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Thanks!

I changed my order to three of these little beauties. Looks like Fenix is trying to get rid of overage they had to purchase, or warrenty replacement stock they never needed to use. Either way, seems like they are trying to get rid of something they don't want to deal with further, so, get them while you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ordered 2.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ordered 3.

Hope I get them!!

RAKC
    Well crap I should have looked further into this sooner, could have ordered a couple with my ssx3

Looks like they started shipping the cases, got the confirmation email today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine has a tracking number already

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just received mine, it is super sweet and small. The cover is definitely waterproof and fits snugly. It will make the perfect helmet pack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just ordered one as well, I didn't want to miss out. I'll have to figure out how to adapt it to my magicshine connectors later.

mtbr member
    Everybody's getting their packs, and I'm just sitting here staring at the word "processing".

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just received mine, it is super sweet and small. The cover is definitely waterproof and fits snugly. It will make the perfect helmet pack.
    Was there a plug adapter in the package?
    Last edited by juhake; 03-19-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Correct website is Gearbest, not Banggood, my bad

RAKC
    No they dont come with any form of adapter, its a solarstorm connector. They do work with other connectors though (magicshine, the yinding style one that everyone uses) just there is no threaded cap on the cable form the light. But they will plug in and work just fine (fit rather tight I might add)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    No they dont come with any form of adapter, its a solarstorm connector. They do work with other connectors though (magicshine, the yinding style one that everyone uses) just there is no threaded cap on the cable form the light. But they will plug in and work just fine (fit rather tight I might add)
    Yes, the connector standard is right, but my question was meant to be about a female-female adapter:

Fenix BA4C Case found- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Another question: do you think this plug

1x LED Strip DC 5 5X 2 1mm Male to Female Waterproof Power Connector Cable Black | eBay

is good enough quality? (to use as a replacement plug in scissors and soldering iron scenario)

mtbr member
    I'd check the solarstorm type cables that Hunk Lee sells on Ebay. Connector, Li-ion 1S 3.7V items in A-OK battery store on eBay!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd check the solarstorm type cables that Hunk Lee sells on Ebay. Connector, Li-ion 1S 3.7V items in A-OK battery store on eBay!

-Garry
    I dig the idea of ordering from Hunk Lee, but the price is little bit deep, $4.95 for one pair
    A Pair Waterproof Power Connector Plug 2pin LED Cable | eBay

The price is good in the 5-pack, $9.95 total so 2 dollars per pair,
    5pairs of DC5 5 2 1mm Waterproof Connector for MagicShine Light Connection Blk | eBay
    but I only need one pair

mtbr member
    Haven't got mine yet. : (

Question for after I get it: How do you guys attach the battery pack to your helmets? Velcro? Zip ties? Duct tape? Spit?

Also: any concern of batteries blowing up and setting the back of your head on fire? I suppose that might make me faster...

Any advice appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I put mine in my backpack. Much more comfortable than carrying that weight on your head.

RAKC
    USE PROTECTED CELLS WITH THIS CASE lol. That's what Im doing when I order mine here in another week with a yinding and 3rd ss case.

Also helmet hold just depends on ur helmet. But basically Velcro strap through vents I think would.be best. But um with others, my packs will be carried in upper part of my hydropack. Easier and more comfy, but this case on 2 cells should simple offset toward weight of light head so may not be bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by markm62 View Post

Also: any concern of batteries blowing up and setting the back of your head on fire? I suppose that might make me faster...

Any advice appreciated.
    Protected quality cells only. Do not combine cells with different capacity/resistence/age/charge. Do not leave cells in the case when not in use. Then go ride, you are OK

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Panasonic ncr18650 - same cells that are used in the Tesla. If it's good enough for a car, it'll probably work for your China lamp, ha.

mtbr member
    Protected Samsungs from either Banggood or Fasttech will be the best bang for your buck (fasttech will be SLLLOOOWWWW shipping batteries though). If your in the US checkout mountain electronics: Mountain Electronics .

-Garry

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I picked up some "Keeppower" cells from Gearbest and a charger. I just noticed they are not "protected." Oops.

I'll check out the protected Samsungs or Panasonic ncr.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I got some Keeppower 3400s from GearBest, they're protected. They are Panasonic cells and protection circuit. They're great batteries. If you bought the wrong ones, write [email protected]

Here's the ones I have, KeepPower 3400mAh 18650 Protected Lithium Rechargeable Battery (3.6V 1 Pair)-22.85 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

RAKC
    Can get Panasonic protected and Sanyo for good prices in the states. Mtn electronics and eBay, even some on amazon. Make sure to buy a decent charger, not just the cheapest.

mtbr member

Fenix BA4C Case found

Thanks for the heads-up on the batteries. I just sent May an email asking to switch the unprotected ones I ordered for the ones you suggest.

THANKS AGAIN!

UPDATE: Gotta love GearBest. They got back to me pronto and changed the order for me, and sent an invoice for the difference. Easy peasy.
    Last edited by markm62; 03-24-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: additional info

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Received my box this monday. Overall impression is very positive: the level of engineering & quality of parts is quite good. The design of box is better, but assembling is worse than I've been expecting from Fenix.

Disassembling is pretty easy: remove soft rubber-like padding (be careful not to tear it: narrow flat screwdriver is handy for that job; start from central hole for thumbscrew) and three screws.

Most interesting part inside is electronics: till now, I've never seen in various reviews across the web any mention of protection PCB used in that box - everyone seems to consider it just "dumb" mechanical device with contacts only. At least, I can't recall reading any information about BA4C overcurrent/short circuit and reverse polarity protection.

Fenix BA4C Case found-pcb.jpg

The MOSFET transistor is Alpha & Omega Semiconductor's AON7403 with integrated bypass diode:
    https://aosmd.com/pdfs/datasheet/AON7403.pdf

PolySwitch resettable fuse F1 is rated 2.6 amp - connecting modern multi-emitter lights might be limited by that. Electrolytic 100uF/16V tantalum capacitor is accompanied by ceramic C2, so voltage spikes & noises propagated from light's PWM driver are blocked.

I've made quick drawing of schematic in case someone needs it:

Name:  schematic.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  13.2 KB

Next surprise is with wiring: when making new battery, repairing the light etc, I myself always use pieces of heat shrink tube to prepare power cable's leads for soldering (it prevents insulation damage) - but this is the first time I see the same done by manufacturer!

Sealing O-rings on box and under thumbscrew were not lubricated.

The PCB is not cleaned at the factory after soldering: flux and, more importantly, micro spherical drops of melted lead were everywhere. Giving the spacing of SMD components used, I won't consider this flaw that minor...

Playing with box, I've noticed suspicious sound like if small metal parts are rattling. It was caused by bottom contact spring: to improve connection, Fenix used small bronze inserts at the tip of each spring - but haven't soldered them. So, instead of improvement, it just added two more contact surfaces to the circuit! Fixing is quite easy, though: simply solder them carefully, keeping upper rounded part clean from lead.

Fenix BA4C Case found-springs.jpg

I've replaced the cable with MagicShine one, and assembled the box back.

Fenix BA4C Case found-ready.jpg

For mounting on the bike frame, I've ordered mobile phone pouch for runners:
    Arm Band Sport Bag Case Pouch for Cell Phone MP3 MP4 Key Apple iPhone 3 4 4S HTC | eBay

Fenix BA4C Case found-ec0159ep0557ed0267.jpg

Its velcro band shouldn't notice the difference between human arm and bike's top tube, I believe. The dimensions of box are 101*52*28mm, so it seems to fit fine.

Traditional thanks to GJHS for making the thingy available!
    Last edited by -Archie-; 03-26-2015 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Picture corrected

mtbr member
    Thanks Archie! You didn't really come out and say it, so this case includes working protection? Proper working for 2 unprotected cells in series?

I could not get the foam out of my old Fenix case. I'll have to try on the new one coming any day now. Should be easy peasy to swap the cable!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thank you for the teardown Archie, surprising and very interesting. Do you know what kind of protection would that chip provide?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Protection of lithium battery is a complex term consisting of many different factors.

In this particular case of Fenix box, as I've already said above, protection against reverse polarity (i.e., cells inserted wrong way) and overcurrent (including shortage) is implemented.

Monitoring of cell's voltage is absent, so there's no overcharge or overdischarge protection. As I understand, Fenix uses protected 18650 anyway, so voltage protection is done at individual cell's level.

To put it simple: do not use unprotected cells with this box.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Reverse polarity and shortage protection are welcome then. There seems to be plenty of room in that plate to accommodate other modding stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the clarification Archie!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You're welcome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the teardown Archie, do you also know if there is any parasitic current drain?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    According to schematics, there are no parts capable to cause any noticeable drain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I was looking for a connector to swap, came across this one

and this other one

The 1st is the cheapest I found, any comments?

mtbr member
    Just try to get the thickest wiring possible (within reason). Too thin and you'll have voltage drop (due to resistance of wire).

There is a well regarded DX extension cable to cut and use, but I don't have the link handy.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There is a well regarded DX extension cable to cut and use, but I don't have the link handy.
    DX cable is for MagicShine standard, while Iker2 needs SolarStorm one, if I understand correctly...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    DX cable is for MagicShine standard, while Iker2 needs SolarStorm one, if I understand correctly...
    Actually I thought that they were both the same connectors, with 5.5x 2.1 mm . If they are different I prefer Magicshine because I have another MJ light and 2S1P pack and I'd like to swap them, but I am confused now. I thought that they were compatible, what is the difference between MJ and solarstorm connectors?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If they are different I prefer Magicshine
    Buy 5.4mm Male to Dual Female Adapter Y-Cable for SKU 29489/30864 (100cm)
    Cheap 5.4mm Male to Female Extension Cable for SKU 29489/30864 (100cm)

what is the difference between MJ and solarstorm connectors?
    Pictures are self-explanatory I think: SS is threaded with nut, MS is a click-on type.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They are both 5.5x2.1mm, it is just a plastic around the connector which is bit different. You can get Magicshine style at DX here: Cheap 5.4mm Male to Female Extension Cable for SKU 29489/30864 (100cm). It is about 20AWG, so less resistance than tipical 22AWG.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    They are both 5.5x2.1mm, it is just a plastic around the connector which is bit different. You can get Magicshine style at DX here: Cheap 5.4mm Male to Female Extension Cable for SKU 29489/30864 (100cm). It is about 20AWG, so less resistance than tipical 22AWG.
    Gearbest sells them too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks very much for the links, it will be the magicshine then . BTW, just found an interesting pouch that could fit the box well and allow both helmet and belt mounting with little tweaking: here

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just received this battery case and had a quick (and probably dumb) question. Which way do the batteries go into the case? On the top, they have some + and - symbols but it isn't clear to me how the batteries are arranged. Anyone have a photo with batteries installed? I don't have my batteries yet so I cannot test myself.

RAKC
    Plus and minus, cells are labeled just match them up when u put them in. One plus and one minus will be towards the lid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Got it - Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    *SIGH* Two weeks later, still "processing"... time to send an email.

Got the case today. As others pointed out, it looks and feels well built. Pleased to report that the long Panasonic NCR18650B protected (flat top) fit nicely.

Question: charging protected cells separately in a proper charger vs. charging them inside the Fenix pack - is the latter option considerably more risky? I'd be using a "Magicshine" or generic charger.

Yeah!
    Anyone heard from May lately? I sent a message last week because my gearbest order still says it's processing, and haven't received a response. Thanks.

RAKC
    With protected cells it doesn't matter except they will fall out of balance in the case. In case charging they will only charge till one cell trips as full even if other cell is only half full. And vise versa in use. Dont need to balance every time but every 10-20 charges (or you notice pack charge time/run time is shorter than normal).

Protected cells are as safe as you get, can't over charge or over discharge. So a li-ion charger is all that matters for safety, generic or fancy. It performance of the cells that is improved by occasional balance/individually charging them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
    Question: charging protected cells separately in a proper charger vs. charging them inside the Fenix pack - is the latter option considerably more risky? I'd be using a "Magicshine" or generic charger.
    This is important. As it has been commented in this thread and elsewhere, this box DOES NOT have a charging driver. You SHOULD NOT attempt to charge batteries inside the box. - EDIT: My bad: I thought that corvette was meaning to charge inside the pack using a power supply and not a charger. With a reliable charger it will be OK to do it every now and then.
    Last edited by Iker2; 04-08-2015 at 06:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This is important. As it has been commented in this thread and elsewhere, this box DOES NOT have a charging driver. You SHOULD NOT attempt to charge batteries inside the box.
    This of course is all wrong if we are talking about quality cells. If you have proven charger and balanced quality cells from the same batch you can safely enough charge them some cycles. How many cycles it depends on many factors (to much to write). It is best to check with DMM behaviour from time to time and balance them ie. charge each cell independently. Checking cells voltage would tell you how they behave on long term.

If someone thinks charger might fail, yes it is right, but also protection circuit might fail. So the regular checking is the best way to go.
    Last edited by ledoman; 04-08-2015 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How risky is it to use non protected cells if i know that I'm not draining to anywhere near minimum capacity? Just curious

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    With qualiy cells you are safe enough. On safety side draining below 2.5V is not an issue. You are yust loosing the capacity. The safety issues happens during charging (overcurrent/overvoltage/unbalanced cells) and high drain currents/short.

Me personaly I'm using only good quality (Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Samsung) unprotected cells, but I'm checking them all the time. I have bunch of different chargers including hobby charger iCharger 106B+ which can send data to computer to plot charge/discharge curves. So I know exactly how the cells behaves. Of course I don't test every one. Checking voltage is good enough once I know how they should behave.

RAKC
    There's nothing wrong with it if you don't discharge below minimum safe, but accidently discharge too much and you rapidly loose life of your cells and can have issues charging if using a cheap charger. Imo its dangerous enough not to be worth it. For me if Case doesn't have protection, use protected cells(just bought a pair of keep power Panasonics for this case), case does have protection, then use whatever.
    Last edited by tigris99; 04-12-2015 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well when I use this it will be mainly as an extra (for redundancy) or to power my smaller lights. I was also thinking of wiring a LiPo alarm in line with a female to female conversion cord and kill 2 birds with one stone. Reason being - I now have a million non protected cells and also cause I'm just cheap and need to find homes for them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast