Eyewear for night riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Eyewear for night riding

This forum seems to be mostly about the lights. But I want to talk about another essential piece of equipment for night riding: Your eyewear.

I use the following with clear lenses and they seem to work well for most conditions:
    glasses.JPG

Where they don't work well is in severe fog. I ride in SoCal in the early mornings and there is often fog/low clouds clinging to the hillsides. When I ride through one of these fog banks, a lot of moisture condenses on the lenses and they are generally useless for the rest of the ride.

So, what are your experiences? Do you have any glasses that you recommend given the above conditions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wear perscription glasses, so just use a pair of persrciption Oakley A wires with clear lenses for low light riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I'll check them out

Quote Originally Posted by billysan
    I wear perscription glasses, so just use a pair of persrciption Oakley A wires with clear lenses for low light riding.
    Anyone else have some favorite glasses that work in the fog?

she keep you buying rats
    In the last few years I've noticed that some brands inexpensive safety glasses have really improved their optical clarity. After I left my Oakley Zero clears on the roof of my Jeep last year I've been using AO Safety's Virtua model clear glasses.

A trick for anti-fog... (I just learned of this one from a scuba forum) is to rub on some shampoo on the lenses and let dry, then buff off. They won't fog up for 2 or 3 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Nice!

The glasses I mean....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Uvex also makes great safety glasses with a very good anti-fog coating. I have been using them for years at night and all winter long. Also when I use the table saw! Several models work. I am currently using the ignite and Genesis on occasion. http://www.uvex.us/products.aspx#/folder=98

urmb
    urmb.org

mtbr member
    Smith Reactors with clear lenses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a pair of Sette Vexx's from Pricepoint... they are fantastic, come with 3 different color lenses (clear, orange and black), have a fanstastic case they came in... and are cheap at about $20

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ^^^^ I use those Sette Vexxs too and have good results and really like those interchangeable lenses.

A plethora of pinatas
    Oakley Radar's with the clear vented lens work awesome for me!
    Marty

It ain't easy being Green
    Another Oakley fan here; a dab of spit on the lens helps reduce fogging and if it gets too bad you simply tap the edge of the lens against your arm and the water falls right off due to the special coating. Expensive, but worth it. I'm also in SoCal and know exactly what you mean about the foggy mornings this week.

Members who have read this thread: 0