Exposure Strada MK6 vs Cateye Volt 1600- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Exposure Strada MK6 vs Cateye Volt 1600

Hi all

I currently use a Cateye El 540 Force and a Exposure Maxx D MK7 on my main bike which I use for commuting, going off the track and everything in between.

Recently I've found my the EL540 insufficient to light up certain parts of my route but where my Maxx D has been complained about for dazzling ppl ( by local police ). Unfortunately, the EL 540's light pattern is concentrated into a square and forces me ride quite slowly as I cannot see much ahead.

To address this, I am thinking about replacing the EL540 with a Volt 1600 or a Strada mk6 which should be able to provide more oncoming car/cyclist friendly lighting at much greater intensity.

As the Volt 1600 uses the same mount as my EL 540 and Go Pro, means a fussfree switch which appeals. On the otherhand, Exposures lights, mounts and remote switches are awesome so putting another one on is no big deal either. Is having a Strada and Maxx D on the bike overkill ? I have never seen the Strada light pattern but from what I have read it's not great for off road. What would you do ?

Nb. My ride is 3 hours so two lights is a must for backup reasons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Both the cateye volt and Strada have round optics which means for commuting purposes, unless you dim the lights considerably
    you're going to get more complaints about blinding people. They do however have remote switches so dimming and adding more power shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing you might want to consider are lights that have a flat cut off to the beam pattern. With these you will be able to run more light without blinding people, the drawback is throw.

The fenix bike light range have the flat cut off beams and provide a nice wide floody beam. I have the BC30 (1200lumens) and don't seem to have problems with slowing down due to a lack of throw.They also make good bar flooders for trail use, although I'd recommend a 2nd more throwy light to complement them for trails. The remote switches only provide a bright flashmode which is only useful as a "light horn", not as good as a proper remote switch but still handy.

Or you could get wide angle optics which flatten the beam profile and add a lot of width, providing a similar cut-off effect. Gemini and gloworm lights have these through action led lights, as well as other optics for different beam profiles. I'm actually in the process of getting a gemini duo, the remote switch, compact size and customizable beams really make these lights quite versatile.