Entry - Mid Level LED Lights- Mtbr.com

Sep 2009

Entry - Mid Level LED Lights

Hello all

I have a question about headlights.

I do a lot of road and track riding, I ride until the sun goes down. Can any one recommend a LED light set (front and back) that is value for money. I am after lights that are waterproof and have good battery life. I ride on well lit up roads, so I am not after the brightest beam.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you're riding on well lit roads, then I'm guessing you just want a light that lets motorists see you, as opposed to lighting up the road in front of you, correct?

Sep 2009
    That is correct, i want a light to let other know i'm around, but to have some kind of decent beam would be nice.
    There are some may brands to choose from, Cateye, NiteRider, Topeak, Tioga, etc, which to choose?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-k
    That is correct, i want a light to let other know i'm around, but to have some kind of decent beam would be nice.
    There are some may brands to choose from, Cateye, NiteRider, Topeak, Tioga, etc, which to choose?
    They are all much the same. Get ones that use AA batteries as they last the longest. Get some good rechargeables and charge them often.
    I've had good luck with cateye stuff. Currently use el-135s on the front and ld1100 on the rear. Other rear lights I have are planet bike superflash and a few blackburn mars lights.

Sep 2009
    Thanks for the replies, I have narrowed my selection:

1) NiteRider UltraFAZER COMBO 3.0
    2) CATEYE EL135
    3) CatEye HL-EL320
    4) Planet Bike Blaze Headlight 1/2 Watt LED
    5) Planet Bike Blaze 1 Watt

I realise it's still pretty wide in choice, but can any one recommend what is the best in terms of battery life and beam strength.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-k
    I realise it's still pretty wide in choice, but can any one recommend what is the best in terms of battery life and beam strength.
    In general battery life is the inverse of beam strength.

Members who have read this thread: 0