Dynamo lights- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dynamo lights

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Dynamo lights

Have asked this on other fora, but has anyone got any experience of either the Exposure Revo or the Supernova Triple? Are there any other dynamo lights suitable for off-road use?

Thanks,

Andy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    Have asked this on other fora, but has anyone got any experience of either the Exposure Revo or the Supernova Triple? Are there any other dynamo lights suitable for off-road use?

Thanks,

Andy
    I don't have experience with the Supernova Triple but I do have the E3 Pro. I wanted to get a Triple as well but when I realized that I still need a helmet light, I decided against it.

The Triple may be plenty bright but if all you have is that mounted on the bars, it will never be pointed in the direction you need to see.

mtbr member
    Have a look at K-lite's offerings. Kerry often posts here and is quick to offer help also.

kLite.com.au Dynamo Lighting Systems

It seems he keeps his FB page more up to date: https://www.facebook.com/kLite.com.au

Tim

Graveyard Shift
    I have it on good authority that the Exposure Revo Mk1 and it's matched Red Eye rear light are a nice little duo. The ability to use the Revo as a charger is a nice touch and can let you tidy up your cockpit a bit vs. running lights along with a standalone charger like the Plug or Revolution.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Triple may be plenty bright but if all you have is that mounted on the bars, it will never be pointed in the direction you need to see.
    I'd probably look to use my existing Hope R4 as a helmet light, but I'd be lying if I said my usual trails are all that technical.

I have it on good authority that the Exposure Revo Mk1 and it's matched Red Eye rear light are a nice little duo. The ability to use the Revo as a charger is a nice touch and can let you tidy up your cockpit a bit vs. running lights along with a standalone charger like the Plug or Revolution. .
    I think the Revo/Red Eye is probably what I'll end up with if I go down this route. However, the lack of an on/off switch strikes me as a bit of a pain (can't turn the light off when stopped, and I have visions of the garage being like the Blackpool illuminations for up to an hour post-ride). Also, the USB charger is said not to be that great, and plugs into the same port as the Redeye.

Supernova Triple appeals but the bar mount appears to be silly (QR bar mount but cables permanently attached, incuding rear light one). I wonder if one could run a USB charger off the rear light cable though?

Have a look at K-lite's offerings.
    Thanks - will do.

Graveyard Shift
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    I think the Revo/Red Eye is probably what I'll end up with if I go down this route. However, the lack of an on/off switch strikes me as a bit of a pain (can't turn the light off when stopped, and I have visions of the garage being like the Blackpool illuminations for up to an hour post-ride). Also, the USB charger is said not to be that great, and plugs into the same port as the Redeye.
    If you've browsed K-Lite then you've probably already seen this switch, but it looks like a convenient workaround to at least one of the Revo's issues, and running an independent charger (waiting to hear a gamut of reviews of the Reactor, looks fantastic though) would solve the other. I think if I had the money to throw at such a project right now it's the 'ultimate' setup I'd end up going with. A good power/lighting system just begins to stack up in cost very, very fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianCoté View Post
    If you've browsed K-Lite then you've probably already seen this switch, but it looks like a convenient workaround to at least one of the Revo's issues
    Yes and no. An inline switch won't switch the Revo off; it will just switch it into standlight mode while the internal battery runs down.