Durable Light?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Durable Light?

aka bOb

Durable Light?

After a short lived Seca (great beam cheap housing) I am looking for a decent light I can use on the bars that has a better chance of surviving a crash. I would like it to be at least 1500 lumans and be of excellent quality.

Thanks in advance

RAKC
    Man there are ALOT of them out there. just like a bike, you need to have a budget in mind more than anything. And if your running a helemt light too, worry less about lumens on the bars (people need to STOP requesting lumen numbers, and start by deciding on beam pattern) and more about the way you want the light on projected. More spot, a lot of spread, good mix?????

And most survive crashes pretty well, that just have plastic mounts that give instead of trashing the light. and cheap to replace (or use huge rubber orings that help avoid any damage to anything) Just avoid anything that has alot of plastic on the outside of the housing, stick with full machined aluminum.

Beyond that, read through this sub, ther eis 100 good choices from cheaper chinese lights that are great and hold up well, to xeccon, magicshine, and glowworm up to lupine and trailled.

Again like bikes, everyone has what they need for what they do, you gotta set some perimeters on what you want before we can give you decent advise.

aka bOb
    I think I asked pretty specific, excellent quality, bar mount, and durable. Luman can vary that's fine. I said I like the beam pattern on the Seca so that should give some clue on beam and excellent quality should rule out the cheap lights. I'm not a light expert so I'm not sure what beam I need and if I was I would probably have the answer and wouldn't need to ask but like I said I liked the Seca beam.

edit: It seems a lot of this forum has turned to the cheaper lights and it's hard to find info on the better ones, I'm outta here thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you were using a Seca I'm safe to assume you have a good budget in mind. I guess i'll start at the top. I myself are running two Lupine Betty-R's which lets face it is overkill for most. I have bad night vision with these older eyes and do a lot of solo night rides where there are lots of interaction with wild life,, so for me the more light the better.

The new 2016 Lupine products will be coming out shortly and all except the Neo will be Bluetooth controlled with a small wireless remote. Personally I think their best value is the Wilma. The 2015 version is an honest 2800 lumens and is $595. The 2016 Wilma is bumped to 3200 lumens but more important is those lumens are well projected in a wide and stupidly far reaching beam. I would still give the overall beam quality nod to the Seca but the Wilma is no joke!! If you don't need that much output the Piko at 1500 lumens will be a good choice as well. Quality is as good as there is period.

One other light I will throw into the mix is the Gloworm XS. At 2200 lumens it has the output your looking for and has interchangeable optics so you can customize your beam somewhat.

As tigris99 mentioned there are lots out there so I started with three of the high end ones that first came to mind, and of coarse two were Lupines as I'm a little bias.

You can shop for the Lupines at gretnabikes.com or the Gloworm XS at actionledlights.com.

aka bOb
    Perfect indebt thanks!! Gives me a good place to start, I don't mind doing research but this sub is very hard to do that if you don't know technical light jargon to begin with

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Your welcome bdundee,,, I've been running Lupines since 2009 so if you have any more questions about them I'd be happy to help!! Cheers!!

RAKC
    Sorry nothing in the op about liking the seca beam pattern. But indebt hit it on the nose pretty well from what I know. I dont own anything like lupine, too much money for a glorified flashlight (seriously though any bike light pretty much is) in my opinion. But too you get what you pay for and im simple.

Trailled is another high end, rave reviewed light set up. None of the extra features of the lupines or glowworm lights though.

Personally id go with glowworm, the xs would fit your request rather nicely, and can make the beam pattern whatever you want. Glowworm seems to be the "sweet spot" for performance vs cost.

Ive seen some other crazy lights out there but not even seen them mentioned here so can't recall the brands.

Xeccon is another good brand but the options for lights are somewhat limited in the beam patterns.

Oh and from what ive seen, niterider is another company (like magicshines eagle series lights and the seca) that has an issue using a bunch of plastic in the housing, so avoid those.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Sorry nothing in the op about liking the seca beam pattern. But indebt hit it on the nose pretty well from what I know. I dont own anything like lupine, too much money for a glorified flashlight (seriously though any bike light pretty much is) in my opinion. But too you get what you pay for and im simple.

Trailled is another high end, rave reviewed light set up. None of the extra features of the lupines or glowworm lights though.

Personally id go with glowworm, the xs would fit your request rather nicely, and can make the beam pattern whatever you want. Glowworm seems to be the "sweet spot" for performance vs cost.

Ive seen some other crazy lights out there but not even seen them mentioned here so can't recall the brands.

Xeccon is another good brand but the options for lights are somewhat limited in the beam patterns.

Oh and from what ive seen, niterider is another company (like magicshines eagle series lights and the seca) that has an issue using a bunch of plastic in the housing, so avoid those.
    Thanks I am seriously looking at the x2 and x3.
    And yes my original post said seca ( great beam cheap housing) and for sure going to stay away from plastic.

RAKC
    X2 with dual spot optics (dont recall optics it comes with) makes for great helmet light, then mix them up (again dont recall which optics come stock in xs either) on the XS and you'll have great mix of light coverage. I use yindings (duo/x2 clone) or a bt21. Not an x2 but fit the same optics and the glowworm spot optics work great. If your into a little extra effort, a couple bucks will get you tighter beam optics that are just as good quality. Optics themselves really dont vary much in quality from most expensive to the budget lights we talk about. Well till you get down to the no name eBay crap. All use pmma or optical acrylic and made the same way.

In fairness to the companies that use alot of plastic, I wouldn't call it cheap, plastic has its place but not in something that sticks well above handlebars. Good for mounting as that's a cheap replacement and avoids trashing a light. I ride xc, crashes are rare but still I will always steer away from a plastic shelled light no matter how "awesomely amazing" it is. That's one thing at least most of the Chinese lights get right, housings are aluminum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    bdundee do you use a helmet light as well? If so, what are you using? If not I couldn't recommend enough going for the X-2 on the lid and the XS on the bars if your going with Gloworm product. This would be one heck of a set up for you and one I think you would be blown away with. I know there was only one issue a while back with the remote wire been a little to short for those using wider bars, but believe that has been resolved. Maybe cat or anyone who went through that issue can confirm.

aka bOb
    Yeah last winter I was running a cheap Chi on my helmet which was actually pretty nice but the wires are getting bad and need a little more punch so on the hunt for a new lid light as well. I also use a helmet light for grooming winter single track on the snowmopile as well. Been pretty much only riding daylight over the summer but now that the light is going away the need for new lights is back especially after last nights crash that took out the Seca ;(

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Your OK right,,,, no injury?? Have you decided on the Gloworm products?? Not trying to complicate things for you but there is another biker on this forum that builds lights, his name is Scar his products are called (Amoeba's). He will speak to you and will use custom reflectors,,, led bin's suited to your preferred color rendition,, expected run times in battery capacity. He and his products are very well respected by many on this forum. He is well priced and uses good quality parts in his products. Just another option if your still undecided.

RAKC
    Wow, didn't realize your post came right after the crash that killed the light, hope your ok!!!

I didn't think to mention scar either, the more I see his activity here the more respect I have for the guy. Fact he literally builds lights to order for the prices he sells for is pretty awesome. And in my past curiosity of digging up about him and his lights, he uses top of the line everything. Only thing he's missing imo is options for using optics vs reflectors. But some prefer reflectors for the tighter beam patterns. The effort that guy puts into each person that contacts him is awesome though.

His amoeba on the lid and a XS on the bars I think would be an insane combination. He uses the ultimate throw emitters when you want them, beam shots ive seen of them, hard to beat helmet light.

aka bOb
    Yeah thanks just a broken toe pretty use to it just the way I ride, on the edge and stupid. Not getting any smarter with age, actually getting worse I think. I will look up Amoeba's for sure!!! I do remember him from a few years back and seeing his cool stuff but I couldn't remember what they where called, I was hoping someone would bring it up. Thanks again.