dual xml on helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

dual xml on helmet

Just finished making a simple bracket to mount two 2 xml lights on the helmet. Will try tomorrow night and see how they go. Twice the weight so just need to get use to the extra weight. Picked up 25x3mm ally bar from Bunnings this morning, some small 4mm screws and nuts, locktight and marine sealant to improve where the wires go into the light housing.

what a joke
    Any more details?
    Beam shots?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I hope you are riding in areas with no overhead tree branches! It is irritating to have your helmet nearly yanked off your head or to stop to re-align your light after it catches on something.

mtbr member
    I think the issue here is too much weight on the helmet. Yes, it does look a tad high as well. Considering both of these issues helmet stability would be a major problem.

Nothing wrong with the duel mod though. It looks very nice. Using the duel hex build would work great ( and look great ) on the bars but you might have to use a bar extension to make it fit. ( due to extended width )

This still leaves you without a helmet light. I would suggest the single MS 808E ( XM-L emitter lamp ). The MS looks to have a tighter beam pattern and should work better on the helmet. My suggestion would be to find a way to mount the light for lower profile as I don't like the helmet mounting for any of these O-ring type set-ups.

Going forward, I think one single XM-L lamp on the helmet is more than enough for most kinds of riding. Two would be sweet if there were no weight/balance/mounting issues.

Beam shot of this set-up would be nice if you have a camera.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I would suggest the single MS 808E ( XM-L emitter lamp ).
    Not sure if you were aware Cat-Man but the OP sells these lights on trademe - nz equivalent to fleabay and not magic shine so probably not interested in hearing about any qualities of the opposition.

He also likes quoting mtbr as authority for various aspects of his sales, eg "Using a testing method seen on mtbr.com" and "see 2011 Bike Light Shootout at mtbr.com"

The forum rules permit retailers etc to post here on certain conditions, including that "All Manufacturers / Vendors / Shop Owners / Sponsored Riders should declare their status as a Retailer / Manufacturer in their signature".

Perhaps I am overly cynical, but I am wary of being used as someone's marketing tool. Then again suggesting the use of a competitor's product will probably ensure that doesn't happen.

mtbr member
    Yes you are right find_bruce I slipped up not putting in the signature that I retail bike lights. I have now setup the signature to show this. As you can see I joined the forum last month and fairly new to using forums and have overlooked adding in a signature. I think Cat-man -do does know I also sell this hex bike light as Cat-man-do has posted on an earlier thread of mine. I have been linking to the mtbr web site as there is a wealth of information here on bike lights to help people who want to research before making a decision whether the light I sell or someone elseís. I maybe look at getting a MS 808E soon to compare as I see there is now a U2 version listed
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member

Smile

The light does sit up high. It is only 3mm higher than the standard single light but with the extra weight difference it is very noticeable and would definitely improve it if closer to the top of the helmet. The only benefit using the standard o-ring/mount setup is that is quick to swap back to a single light. I do normally run two lights on my bars and one on the helmet. Currently half way through a 7 week night racing series run by Blue Dog Events at Mcleans Forest Park NZ and last Wednesday at the end of the race both my bar lights lens were covered in mud from the muddy puddles and riders in front of me, my helmet light was only slightly splattered. This is the reason I thought I would try a twin helmet light and one on the bars. I did a training ride tonight at McLeans Forest Park and was pleased with the extra light I was able to direct on the track and up and coming corners. It didnít take me long to get use the extra weight on my head and back pack. We have our local clubs weekly ride tomorrow night and will get to use the twin light again before Wednesdays race. This Smithís Stream track has the odd overhanging branch you need to duck for but thatís something I am already use to doing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dereknz View Post
    Yes you are right find_bruce I slipped up not putting in the signature that I retail bike lights. I have now setup the signature to show this. As you can see I joined the forum last month and fairly new to using forums and have overlooked adding in a signature. I think Cat-man -do does know I also sell this hex bike light as Cat-man-do has posted on an earlier thread of mine. I have been linking to the mtbr web site as there is a wealth of information here on bike lights to help people who want to research before making a decision whether the light I sell or someone elseís. I maybe look at getting a MS 808E soon to compare as I see there is now a U2 version listed
    Yes bruce, as dereknz says, I am aware of his retailer status. New people sometimes don't know all the forum rules, nevertheless no big sales push was made on the earlier thread. Matter of fact we had to request the links to find out where the XM-L Hex light was sold.

Dereknz, if you want to actively sell the light on forum I believe this is allowed if you take out a classified ad on MTBR. PM a moderator for details.

bruce, I see no problem with someone quoting or using MTBReview as reference for marketing their product as long as the reference is valid and there is no misrepresentation. ( now if that is happening I would like to know the details about it ) If the people who run MTBReview have no issues I can't see why someone else should care. Heck, I use MTBreview as reference myself sometimes. Anyway, so far Mr Dereknz has behaved like any other person using the forums. Okay, so he's a retailer. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Rather than bury him for some minor faux pas, why not be a little more friendly and offer some friendly words of advice. No one likes a tattle-tail but a friendly correction is usually well received. Diplomacy! diplomacy !...Oh, I almost forgot, did I say we need more Diplomacy?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks Derek,

What concerned me was that you seemed to be fishing for comments to use, but it seems I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ... a friendly correction is usually well received
    As it was by me

Cheers

Bruce

mtbr member
    Thanks Cat.Man-Do and Bruce for your comments. I do not intend to sell lights via the forum here at this stage. I have only started using and buying/selling bike lights for a little over two months and before that knew very little about bike lights. I was just going to buy one off Trademe myself but after a bit research here and on other sites realised claims seen on listings of 1000-1200LM and 4hr run time etc that I didnít really want to buy from these sellers and found it was easy to buy direct from the manufacture.

I have only started cycling again since November and before that it has been over 25 years since I have been on a bike. With my new revived passion I find this site with itís forum and reviews and a number of other sites including Utube very helpful in gaining knowledge.

Last night club ride was close to a non event. We had 2 big earthquakes during the day 5.5 and a 6.3. Only one other club member turned up for the club ride. I find as long as the helmet is a snug fit there is no issue with the extra weight on the head. If I intend to use the twin lights on my helmet on a regular basis I would make up a mount to get the lights as close to the helmet as possible. Actually also used two xmls on the bars too, some may think it's overkill, not me

I have ordered a Magic Shine MJ-808X Xtreme U2 version which I hope to have by the end of the week. So may wait till then before I take beam shots as I can do them all at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry to hear that there were more quakes in Christchurch. NZ is known the shakey isles, but on top of the damage caused by the earlier quakes, it has got to be draining. Glad to hear you are ok.

It occurs to me that I should have been clearer about the issue I am so passionate about - if I am wrong about that then feel free to skip this post.

Like you, I have found this forum and others to be excellent sources of information. The value to me is that people are free to say positive and negative things about the product. I personally place a lot of value on reviews written by someone who parted with their own money for the product.

I have no difficulty with discussion & reviews from people with a vested interest as long as they are open about it. Sure potential customers will be a bit wary where the person has been given the product in question and outright sceptical when the comments are written by someone who makes money from the selling the product, but that is the whole point.

As you are in NZ and appear to be new to the business of selling, you might want to consider the impact of the Fair Trading Act which prohibits false and misleading consumer information. The commerce commission website seems to be a good place to start. A consumer can be misled by omission and can be misled unintentionally.

Consider a person in NZ looking to buy a bike light. They look at an ad in trade me and note the reference to this forum, so they wander over to this site for a look. In it they see discussions and photos of the same light, but there is nothing to alert the potential buyer that the person talking about the light is actually the same person who is selling the light. Regardless of whether you intended to mislead the person, the potential is there for someone to mistake you for an independant voice.

It seems as if you have the right intentions, because if I was in the business of selling light in NZ there is no way I would be making exagerated claims about measurable facts, such as lumens.

mtbr member
    Thank you find_bruce for making me aware of "misled by omission". My signature at the bottom will now clarify that.

I use my real first name derek here on the forum and on my Trademe profile. I run a small picture framing business with my wife and use our trading name Artprint as my Trademe name. A google search here in NZ for artprint my web site will show on the 1st page. When I am looking at buying on trademe I look on the sellers profile and feedbacks and if a business name will google search if I want to find more information. I think someone who follows the reference on one of my listings to mtbr will check my profile and realise Derek is dereknz.

One of the reasons I am here is to learn what I can on bike lights and I find I can learn quicker if I ask questions and starting a thread like this light brackets one to get comments from other members.

mtbr member
    last night was the final of the night racing series and had earlier in the day hastily made another bracket to mount the two lights on my helmet. This worked a lot better, no top heavy feeling. I think if the bracket was altered so it was closer to the helmet and slightly closer to the center it would be even better. This allows me to still use the o-ring mounting system to quickly swap back to a single light. Another option I may try is to just use a flat bracket and mount the lights upside down on the bracket so they can be close to the plastic helmet bracket

last night wasn't so bad. two Wednesday's ago you couldn't see the lenses for the mud

mtbr member
    I have had a chance to do a beam pattern photos of this light and the MS MJ808X I purchased last week to compare. Still need to get around to taking beam shots outdoors

the indoor setup using white foamcore board to show the beam pattern