Dressing wrong for night rides..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dressing wrong for night rides..

I hate when I do this. I hate when I underestimate how cold it is and under dress for my ride. Takes the wind out of my sails even before I've ridden more than 5 minutes. I keep forgetting how fast the temperature can drop this time of year when temps are hovering around 50F and the sun is setting. Totally screwed the pooch today. Should of worn the wind tights ( riding on the road bike ) and should of worn the windbreaker jacket rather than the vest. Good thing I decided to turn back. A half hour later it was 45F and definitely would have turned me into a Popsicle if I had done the planned ride. Over-dressing I can handle. Under dressing and I start to freak.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's definitely tricky in the cold this time of year. I know when I exercise in the cold, it's hard to guess the temp once I really get going and have enough clothing for it, if it cools down or I slow down. I also hate having to shiver for the first minutes of the run as not to overheat later.
    I have found some very lightweight, very packable jackets like the North Face Better Than Naked Jacket which packs down tiny. Another great one though not as packable is the Marmot DriClime wind shirt. The key is to find things you can leave in your bike kit or on your bike, in case you dress wrong. It definitely takes planning which is tough if you just want to go for a quick ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I usually tend to start out dressed OK and carry some extra clothing for when it gets colder in the night. It works OK most of the time and I feel like I chose just right when the only clothing item left in the pack at the end of the ride is a long sleeve thermal shirt. Sometimes I get back to the truck wearing everything and sometimes get back carrying too many things.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Last year I did a ride in the early spring that really back-fired. Started out at the house at ~ 70 F. I was wearing a wicking short sleeve undershirt and a jersey along with my baggie shorts. Being safe ( or so I thought ) I carried my windbreaker, glove liners and Velcro attachable leg warmers just in case the temperature dropped. Long story short, this was a day road ride, temperature dropped 20 in less than an hour. Even when I put the other clothes on it wasn't enough. I hate being cold! Problem was the windbreaker ( which is unlined ) offered no insulation to my lower arms. If I had brought along a long sleeve wicking undershirt I'd of been fine. I did finally warm up a bit when I hit a series of long climbs but I was still cold.

Today I just needed my long sleeve windbreaker. I forgot to put on my baggie shorts over my Lycra shorts and although I had a pair of knee warmers on I really could of used the baggie shorts to cut the wind from the Lycra. My upper body though was just getting too cold. I thought about bringing other clothes along but when I do that I use a small fanny pack. I hate to use the fanny pack though unless I have to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Learning your lesson or not? Got a frame bag or camelbak? Both work well to hold that extra layer. 50 F and cold? That's funny. Cold is when your gatorade freezes solid. Try this, take a lined, windproof jacket, put a polypro hat in the pocket, twist up and tie around your waist. YRMV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I always like to carry a rainsuit just in case, as it doubles as a windbreaker and keeps me a bit warmer. In winter the rainsuit helps keep the snow from melting on me.

Scott Novak

mtbr member
    I've commuted by bike for a long, long time. The advantage of being outside every day in whatever weather presents itself is that when it comes time for a fun ride, you tend to know what to wear and how to adapt. Arm and knee warmers are invaluable. If you are riding at night and expect the temp to drop a little, maybe dress for the conditions near the beginning of the ride and throw the arm warmers into your pack. Also, I find I really start to get warmer after about 10 to 15 minutes. It's OK to be a little chilly during the first 5 minutes or so.