Double Lupine Wilma R Setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Double Lupine Wilma R Setup

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered two Lupine Wilma R's. One for the helmet and one for the bar. I spent some time today getting them all set up on the bar/helmet and connecting the bluetooth remote(s) and the iOS Lupine app. I already appreciate the convenience the remote and the app provide and I have yet to hit the trail.

My intent is to run one remote for both lights with four levels for each of the lights and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the brightness level of the bar lamp vs. the helmet lamp as I cycle through each of the four available levels. I currently have it setup as...

BAR/HELMET
    L1: 3200/3200
    L2: 2300/1350
    L3: 1800/1000
    L4: 1000/450

Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Personally I think four levels of adjustment is a bit much and may be a bit confusing to keep track of as your really mixing up the outputs between both lamp heads in each setting. I'm running two Betty-R's off one remote (non Bluetooth) version, using three settings,, each setting has equal power to each lamp head . I'm curious to see if there are any reports of this with the Bluetooth as I have had with mine,, and that is sometimes my helmet lamp responds to the remote a millisecond slower than my bar lamp putting them out of sequence. I couldn't imagine myself trying to keep track of what lamp head was in what setting if I had programmed as you have. That been said, if the Bluetooth remote technology is better performing than what I have then I would recant my concern.

Where I ride there are no bug issues,, and the few minutes of due point issues I encounter I just lower the output if it's really bad but it's not very often. If your riding where nighttime bugs are bad then yes how your programming will be good as in those cases you will want less output on your lid than your bars. But four setting may be challenging to keep track of,,,,,, three would still give you lots of control. It all stems on how well you lamp heads respond to the one remote.

Oh,,,,,, and that's one killer set up you have!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I agree with indebt; four levels is a bit much. After messing with my Bettys for the past few years I've finally settled upon two settings only: 1000-ish and full throttle. IMO, there's little useful difference between the lesser settings. Granted, it was amusing to experiment with multiple settings but I actually found myself paying more attention to my light levels than to my rides!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Because each ride starts with a steep hour climb I have programed 1st setting at 900 lumens for each lamp head. 2nd setting for level tight single track at 1600 lumens per lamp head. 3rd is full throttle for downhill. Of coarse output will be higher once I install my new led boards.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Because each ride starts with a steep hour climb I have programed 1st setting at 900 lumens for each lamp head. 2nd setting for level tight single track at 1600 lumens per lamp head. 3rd is full throttle for downhill. Of coarse output will be higher once I install my new led boards.
    Atta boy! In a way I feel sad because I no longer feel the need to tweak my lights setup anymore. The output, color, and beam shapes all feel just about right. By the way, I don't think I mentioned that I have a Gloworm X2 (wide-angle lenses, neutral white) on the bar to fill in the dark, near-field area left by the bar-mounted Betty. Time to call it a day!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stu06 View Post
    Atta boy! In a way I feel sad because I no longer feel the need to tweak my lights setup anymore. The output, color, and beam shapes all feel just about right. By the way, I don't think I mentioned that I have a Gloworm X2 (wide-angle lenses, neutral white) on the bar to fill in the dark, near-field area left by the bar-mounted Betty. Time to call it a day!
    Funny you said that,,, as I went through the same thing once I got my two Betty-R's. I really loved the previous five years of slowly upgrading my light sets while selling off my old ones to fellow riders I got into night riding. I am looking forward to the new led boards though. Did you happen to notice when you installed yours,, if the boards described what emitters (bin) were been used for the 4900K? I know the stock ones are U-4's.

Also wanted to mention Op should really love his set up. I mean 6400 high end lumens from two 120 gram lamp heads. And wireless.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. Interesting to see you run the same output on the bars and the helmet. I'm not sure why, but I thought there was a benefit to running higher output on the bars vs. the helmet. Obviously not. I'll bump all of the output levels of the helmet light to match the bars and mess around with various numbers of programmed levels and let you know where I land. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Funny you said that,,, as I went through the same thing once I got my two Betty-R's. I really loved the previous five years of slowly upgrading my light sets while selling off my old ones to fellow riders I got into night riding. I am looking forward to the new led boards though. Did you happen to notice when you installed yours,, if the boards described what emitters (bin) were been used for the 4900K? I know the stock ones are U-4's.

Also wanted to mention Op should really love his set up. I mean 6400 high end lumens from two 120 gram lamp heads. And wireless.
    The Gretna site indicates that the upgrade is U4 as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Interesting to see you run the same output on the bars and the helmet. I'm not sure why, but I thought there was a benefit to running higher output on the bars vs. the helmet. Obviously not. I'll bump all of the output levels of the helmet light to match the bars and mess around with various numbers of programmed levels and let you know where I land. Thanks again.
    Actually, I can see the benefit of having more lumens on the bar to give more trail detail. I definitely notice that when my helmet Betty is aimed too close the trail detail is diminished. That's why I typically aim the helmet Betty into the distance in order to minimize the overlap. Ultimately, though, it's up to individual preference. Have fun mixing it up and determining your own "best" solution!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is a benefit,, as having more light on the bars WILL show more shadows on uneven ground which will give a better map to the brain. But I just find i have SO much light from my set up,,,,, it just lights everything up like daylight and I'm not missing the dips or giving up much over daytime ridding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stu06 View Post
    Ultimately, though, it's up to individual preference. Have fun mixing it up and determining your own "best" solution!
    That's one reason I'm excited for the Lupine App. It will make adjustments on the trail hassle free and allow me to dial in my set up in no time. Now if Fox and Rock Shox could only make something similar for suspension tuning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's one reason I'm excited for the Lupine App. It will make adjustments on the trail hassle free and allow me to dial in my set up in no time. Now if Fox and Rock Shox could only make something similar for suspension tuning.
    Wouldn't that be something,,,,,,, to be able to control the dampening by remote. Probably exists but not main stream yet.

I was a bit apprehensive about the app but in hindsight see it would make adjustments easier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I forgot to ask,,,,, have you ever used other off road bike lights before? Based on your OP, it sounds like this may be your first and if so ,,,,, Wow what a first light set up!!!

Just asking because what you just purchased is really top end and wondered if you ever used anything else for comparison?

Please give us an update once you have tried them out and what settings felt best to you. Cheers!!

Also if you have any confirmation that both lamp heads are responding properly to the one remote. Mine will be good on some rides and finicky on others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered two Lupine Wilma R's. One for the helmet and one for the bar. I spent some time today getting them all set up on the bar/helmet and connecting the bluetooth remote(s) and the iOS Lupine app. I already appreciate the convenience the remote and the app provide and I have yet to hit the trail.

My intent is to run one remote for both lights with four levels for each of the lights and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the brightness level of the bar lamp vs. the helmet lamp as I cycle through each of the four available levels. I currently have it setup as...

BAR/HELMET
    L1: 3200/3200
    L2: 2300/1350
    L3: 1800/1000
    L4: 1000/450

Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.
    With respect to the levels, our eyes respond to doubling of light (think f-stops in cameras). What I would do is go back to three levels and set it up like this

Level 1: 3200 (full on)
    Level 2: 1600
    Level 3: 800

Each level is a double of the level prior.

I would not bother with the fourth level. And I'd even consider going to two levels. What scared the crap out of me on some descents with the 4 levels was if I inadvertently switched it past the high end, I was hurtling down some descent with low light. That was a little scary. With the "R" version and presuming you have the two lights set up to respond to one remote, then the effect would be amplified.

What I *really* wish Lupine would do is to to a UI where you could set up lighting on sequential button pushes the way you wanted but then a long push would take you to full bright. That way the high beam would be accessible from anywhere in the sequence.

Dinotte used to do this back in the day when they had a button that cycled the light through the brightness settings and another button that took you to hi beam. Any button push would then take you back to the setting that you were on before you did the long push.

On the Lupine lights now, the high beam is *really* high and most of the time you don't wind up using it unless you really, really need it. So this is much more important now that it used to be.

If that were the case, you could set your lights up for a low beam for climbing and a bright beam for general riding. You could then hit the high beams when you needed them.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    With respect to the levels, our eyes respond to doubling of light (think f-stops in cameras). What I would do is go back to three levels and set it up like this

Level 1: 3200 (full on)
    Level 2: 1600
    Level 3: 800

Each level is a double of the level prior.

I would not bother with the fourth level. And I'd even consider going to two levels. What scared the crap out of me on some descents with the 4 levels was if I inadvertently switched it past the high end, I was hurtling down some descent with low light. That was a little scary. With the "R" version and presuming you have the two lights set up to respond to one remote, then the effect would be amplified.

What I *really* wish Lupine would do is to to a UI where you could set up lighting on sequential button pushes the way you wanted but then a long push would take you to full bright. That way the high beam would be accessible from anywhere in the sequence.

Dinotte used to do this back in the day when they had a button that cycled the light through the brightness settings and another button that took you to hi beam. Any button push would then take you back to the setting that you were on before you did the long push.

On the Lupine lights now, the high beam is *really* high and most of the time you don't wind up using it unless you really, really need it. So this is much more important now that it used to be.

If that were the case, you could set your lights up for a low beam for climbing and a bright beam for general riding. You could then hit the high beams when you needed them.

J.
    I second those output recommendations. Very similar to what I run.

1st Level -900lumens

2nd level - 1600 lumens

3rd level - 3600 lumens

For me this has been the best, but may not be for everyone.

mtbr member
    I forgot to ask,,,,, have you ever used other off road bike lights before?
    I've had several sets of lights prior to my Wilmas. My first set were Nite Riders, followed by Light & Motion Arcs, and my most recent, another set of Nite Riders. I also purchased a 2nd generation Lupine Piko which I use predominately on my road bike.

JohnJ80, I give your setup a shot and report back. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride with the Wilma's yet because I'm battling a nasty cold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've had several sets of lights prior to my Wilmas. My first set were Nite Riders, followed by Light & Motion Arcs, and my most recent, another set of Nite Riders. I also purchased a 2nd generation Lupine Piko which I use predominately on my road bike.

JohnJ80, I give your setup a shot and report back. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride with the Wilma's yet because I'm battling a nasty cold.
    Now that you have the R versions and can use the smartphone app, be interesting to see what you discover. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I really, really wish Lupine had the ability to go full bright from a long button push. That would make applications like this really functional.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    test