Dogs and Night Riding- Mtbr.com
    That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008

Dogs and Night Riding

I went on my first night ride this weekend and loved it. A little rain, lots of katydids, one copperhead and one crash and I'm ready for more.

Didn't bring the dogs along this time, but I'm curious if anyone does. I worry about not seeing them although they usually follow next to or behind me. I wonder if it messes up their night vision to be going in and out of the frame of the lights. I've hiked at nights with my older dog, but that's obviously at a much slower rate of speed.

Let's hear your experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

Ride Responsibly
    My dog is trained to stay close, so day or night makes little difference. I have never noticed her vision being affected by the lights. As more wildlife is active at night, it seems important to keep them closer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I generaly chuck a little red LED on her collar which helps me keep a vague eye on her. generally she's 100% reliable over the last couple of years but the last ride, i think she stopped to sniff something and I was in the 'zone' and didn't notice I'd left her behind for about 10 minutes of single track in thick bush. simple case of riding back up the trail making stupid noises and we hooked up again without too much drama though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Most breeds of dogs are not set up for long term running. They can't get rid of the heat and die of heat exhaustion. Generally not a good idea. Dogs are "designed" to run a bit then sniff around, run a bit more and sniff some more etc...

Even if they are ok with it, you need to work them into distance running just like you would for yourself.

J.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    To JohnJ

My dogs bike with me 3 times a week. So they are very much in shape and trained. I just wasn't sure about the whole bringing them at night thing......

Everyone else. Thanks, I'll probably give it a try. Maybe just with my older dog first and take the "puppy" another time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I ride with my boxer all the time. At night he tends to stay much closer, and while he runs ahead a bit during the day, he stays just behind me at night. The lights dont seem to bother him. I clip a red light onto his collar clasp (try some different clip points until it stays).

I am somewhat concerned about wildlife - when I ride at night I see a few deer per ride. Chasing a deer would be really fun for my dog (he thinks so at least). They freeze when you shine a light at them, but usually my dog doesn't see them if I don't keep the light on the deer.

Go for it... I bet they wil stick with you closer than during the day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have these little bling flashing LED lights that clip onto my dog's collar... I can spot her for miles at night with that thing on.

Something like these: jazzy lights

As to dogs running: My old Golden retriever used to go with us for 20 mile rides all the time. We weren't that fast on the trails anyway. My new goldie is in training to work up to that... she's currently good for 5 miles on the bike path. Both get tuckered out after, but its great to get them in shape for bird hunting season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kroe
    I ride with my boxer all the time. At night he tends to stay much closer, and while he runs ahead a bit during the day, he stays just behind me at night. The lights dont seem to bother him. I clip a red light onto his collar clasp (try some different clip points until it stays). ....I am somewhat concerned about wildlife - when I ride at night I see a few deer per ride. .
    I think if I had a dog I would probably be more worried about skunks. So far this year I've seen skunks three times. Good thing I have good lights because skunks have little fear until you get too close. A couple weeks ago on a night ride I stopped to rest and turned my lights out. After about a minute or so I turned the lights back on only to see a skunk about 30ft ahead of me. .I'm real glad I turned the lights on when I did. I learned a good lesson that night. Believe me, if you or your dog gets sprayed by a skunk, YOU ARE GOING TO BE HATING LIFE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've only brought my dog on one night ride, and she did fine. I'd bring her all the time, but it's the wife's "rule". I have a couple of riding buddies who bring their dogs all the time and there has never been a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    check with your vet.

j.

mtbr member

A collar made for riding with dogs

Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood
    I went on my first night ride this weekend and loved it. A little rain, lots of katydids, one copperhead and one crash and I'm ready for more.

Didn't bring the dogs along this time, but I'm curious if anyone does. I worry about not seeing them although they usually follow next to or behind me. I wonder if it messes up their night vision to be going in and out of the frame of the lights. I've hiked at nights with my older dog, but that's obviously at a much slower rate of speed.

Let's hear your experiences.

I used to attach a bike red blinky light to my dog's collar, but now I use a collar meant to totally keep track of your dog at night. It is made by Seespot Collars. Check 'em out! I love mine...I never lose sight of Sonny now while I'm riding. It make riding with my dog much more enjoyable. Any Who...It's just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Checked with two vets; as long as they are out of puppy stage, they are good to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You have to be careful that dogs don't overheat. They can drop over through heat exhaustion since they don't get rid of heat as effectively as humans. (They don't sweat).

J.

Jul 2009
    just thought id throw a random pic of LULU, my miniture schnowzer, shes too small/old for trail rides, but is always waiting happily for me when i return..

mtbr member
    Yep, the blinking bike tail light on the collar works great. Even if the dog is behind you, you will see the red reflection of the bushes in front of you and you'll know the dog is there behind you.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

Slothful dirt hippie
    Dog musher chiming in... only try this if your dogs are REALLY steady to wildlife, because the amount you'll run in to is exponentially increased at night.

Skunks suck.

Porcupines are MUCH worse. Carry needle nosed pliers on the trail, an extra course of amox. for the dog & stiff booze at home for you afterward.

Haven't tangled the dogs with bear or cougar yet, and don't want to... so in our area I won't let a dog run loose after dark and only during the day w/ electric collars on and plenty of vigilance. Had our first cougar encounter while running dogs on a cart last January- mostly I'm surprised it took so many years to finally happen. I assume we've passed quite a few without knowing it (and the F&W houndsmen I ran into a few years ago said the same).
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Members who have read this thread: 1