• 05-28-2009
    Pedalfaraway
    Does anyone else have problems with mounts??
    I have 2 Niterider lights. 1 older HID (storm I thing) and a Trinewt. I seems I am always fiddling with the mounts. The Helmet mounted HID pulls my helmet forward on desents and the onlt way to stop it from doing so is to tighten my helemt so much its uncomfortable.

I bar mount the Trinewt and the cables interfere with it and push it skyward as it gets shaken off road. I shoved it back down and then it comes up and I shove it down. I had to move my brake levers out way father then I like them to even get the light on the bars in the first place. Today the screw came loose on the back of the trinewt causing it to bounce around and eventually fall off. I had to shove it under then leg of my shorts to carry it home, and had to get home before dark which sucks cause I wanted to nite ride.

So my question is does anyone know if you can get some mounts for these lights that don't suck. I understand they want to be able to install them tool free, the mounts plain just don't work all that well. I think a better fitting Helmet will help with that one, but does anyone know of a better mount for a Trinewt?? I am picturing either something that mounts to the faceplate bolts of the stem or possibly the stem itself and then hold the light more like a light on a 4 wheeler or motorcycle. There has to be something better then a Rubber band.
  • 05-31-2009
    Junkyard
    All mounts suck.

Helmet mounts, always make your own custom job.

Bar mounts urrrgh. I don't get it, plastic and mountain biking don't mix, but all you can get is these rubbish "commuter" grade mounts.

Alloy is the only way for a bar mount but good luck finding one. I've resorted to steel hose clamps in the past, heavy and not easy to get on or off, but they are certainly solid .
  • 06-01-2009
    Climber25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard
    All mounts suck.

Not all mounts suck!
    See Exposure Lights...

[email protected] USA
  • 06-02-2009
    California L33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    I have 2 Niterider lights. 1 older HID (storm I thing) and a Trinewt. I seems I am always fiddling with the mounts. The Helmet mounted HID pulls my helmet forward on desents and the onlt way to stop it from doing so is to tighten my helemt so much its uncomfortable.

I bar mount the Trinewt and the cables interfere with it and push it skyward as it gets shaken off road. I shoved it back down and then it comes up and I shove it down. I had to move my brake levers out way father then I like them to even get the light on the bars in the first place. Today the screw came loose on the back of the trinewt causing it to bounce around and eventually fall off. I had to shove it under then leg of my shorts to carry it home, and had to get home before dark which sucks cause I wanted to nite ride.

So my question is does anyone know if you can get some mounts for these lights that don't suck. I understand they want to be able to install them tool free, the mounts plain just don't work all that well. I think a better fitting Helmet will help with that one, but does anyone know of a better mount for a Trinewt?? I am picturing either something that mounts to the faceplate bolts of the stem or possibly the stem itself and then hold the light more like a light on a 4 wheeler or motorcycle. There has to be something better then a Rubber band.

If the mounts are slipping- plastic to metal or metal to metal (at least handlbar mounts) go to the hardware store and get some 'friction tape.' Put one layer on the handlebar, then re-install the mount. Tighten it, get it good and snug without going crazy and breaking the mount, and the light won't go anywhere no matter how hard the bumps you take- unless the light hits a branch or something solid, in which case the moved light will be the least of your troubles. My old halogen Cygo-light stays where I point it this way.
  • 06-14-2009
    Picard
    Dinotte handle bar mount is also not secure. The quick release mount tend to come loose. I prefer the old fashion Jetlite screw down mount. Quick release is only suitable for seat post but not for bike light mount.
    I have to use duct tape to secure the quick release lever on Dinotte mount or else it would unravel during the ride. :madmax::madmax:
  • 06-15-2009
    Pedalfaraway
    So
    can you sell me a mount that will work for my light?