DiNotte XML-3 reviews- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

DiNotte XML-3 reviews

Hi
    I've been using DiNotte's 400R tail light on my road bike for years and
    the quality is tops. Considering the DiNotte XML-3 to be used in conjunction with my Cygolite 800. Any feedback on the XML-3? Also considering the Niterider 950.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sorry, no feedback, but I've been looking at these as well (the XML's not the Niterider). Honestly, the company (DiNotte) looks solid (good reviews, made in USA), the specs are some of the best in class (if not the best) and the price is 30% less than others in the "premium light" category. I'm pretty much convinced at this point myself. I had originally wanted a self-contained light, but I'm finding that I can't really get the brightness and runtimes I'm looking for (Exposure is close but not quite there and they are UK based and $$$). I'd also like to hear others opinions, but I'm probably going to order one this week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have one and like it. The only complaint I have is the function of the button to turn it on and off is a pain. Press twice to turn on. Hold to turn off. It just isn't always that easy to do when it's on your head and you have gloves on... especially if you are riding down a trail. I wish they would just make it one press to turn on and one press to turn off - simple.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just bumping this...I ordered the XML-3 today and hope to get it out on Thursday or Friday night for a test.

mtbr member
    I've been using my Dinotte (whatever was prior to the current xml3 but the same) and it has been running flawlessly for I think >5 years now. Time flies. Battery doesn't last quite as long as it used to, but still gets me through a 3+ hr ride. Quality stuff, and I've always appreciated its beam pattern. Just good things to say.

I can't say the same for several cheap options that I had as backup/second light. but they were cheap, so...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    I have one and like it. The only complaint I have is the function of the button to turn it on and off is a pain. Press twice to turn on. Hold to turn off. It just isn't always that easy to do when it's on your head and you have gloves on... especially if you are riding down a trail. I wish they would just make it one press to turn on and one press to turn off - simple.
    The twice to turn on is likely a safety feature. I wouldn't think that too much of a hassle but the press and hold to turn off ( 3 sec. wait just like some other lamps ) is a real PITA.

A couple lamps that get around that issue are the newer Gemini's. Both the Duo and Olympia have wireless remotes and only require a single push to turn on and a quick press / hold ( one sec ) to turn off. Nice being able to control a helmet lamp without taking your hands off the bars. Works great. The Duo with dual spots on the helmet works great. The Olympia makes for a nice helmet lamp too although a little more heavier. I tend to favor the Duo though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker View Post
    Hi
    I've been using DiNotte's 400R tail light on my road bike for years and
    the quality is tops. Considering the DiNotte XML-3 to be used in conjunction with my Cygolite 800. Any feedback on the XML-3? Also considering the Niterider 950.
    Thanks
    It's a great light for trail riding, lots of flood, good throw and no real hot spots. I have an older XML-3 that started off at 1200 lumens. It has been upgraded to 1600 or so. The new ones are coming in at 2100, so should be even better. I use it as a bar light with an exposure diablo on the helmet. It's bright enough in medium to do most trail riding and I only use the high if I'm doing shorter rides or descending. The light mounts to the bars solidly and doesn't move around. I've ridden in rain and have had no issues whatsoever. I used to mount the battery to the bottom of my stem, but with shorter stems these days I now mount it to the top tube. I think a great feature of Dinotte as company is that they have trade in and upgrade programs and don't build in functional obsolence. After about 4 years my original battery was no longer lasting as long as I needed it to. So for $70 I bought the replacement battery and light is good for at least 4 more years with a longer burn time. Winning! And for $75 I can upgrade the light engine for another 500 lumens. To me the upgradeability is a great feature. I've gone through the incandescents of the 90's, various niteriders, HID's and the early LED's. It's nice just to be able to use what I have instead of throwing in a box when I get the new shiny light. I hope this answers your questions

mtbr member
    I've been using two "original" XML3s (I think they are 1200 lumens?) since February of 2012. The get don't get a ton of use and most of the time I use them on the road, but I do have some decent trail time with them too. In terms of build quality and durability I don't have a single complaint. They are solid and dependable lights that are built to last. They have never given me an issue and I don't hesitate to recommend this brand.

For road riding on the flats the low setting provides plenty of light. I bump it up to medium or high for the descents but that's the only time I need that much light. On the trails I usually keep them on medium since my local park is a bit rocky. Still, I haven't found a situation where they failed to provide enough light.

The 5 year old batteries still give me enough juice for a 1hr road ride (mostly on low) but I have noticed the low battery warning coming on sooner these days. They offer replacement batteries at $89 each, so I'm weighing my options. Either get 2 new batteries or purchase the updated XML3 set, which is $20 cheaper than the price I paid in 2012. As mentioned before you can get a discount for trading in the old lights. Although I never felt I was "underlit", a 900 lumen upgrade sounds enticing!
    Negative rep, please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Same as some of the others. I have a XML3 older version (not certain if 1200 or 1600 lumen), great helmet light as the beam is narrower but has a really good throw. I also have an older Dinotte dual quad, doesn't throw very far, but is super wide, great on the bars. I also picked up a couple of XT40's a few years back to try out. Build quality is no where near the Dinotte, but the light output is ok.

Older Dinotte batteries are still going, but I also picked up a couple for the 4 x 18650 battery packs and some decent 18650s and a charger, so I have all the run time I need.

Nothing but good things to say about Dinotte as they have treated me well over the years. You pay more than the cheap knock off lights but get a better product.

Edit
    Just noticed the OP mentioned the Dinotte 400, I had one of those as well, super light weight little thing, but does not have the brightness or throw of the newer lights. If the OP likes the 400L, the XML3 is sure to be well received.

mtbr member
    I have a total of 5 Dinotte lights (3 XML-3, 1 XML-4, and an older 400L). The XML-3s have been upgraded to 1600 lumens. I prefer the XML-3 over their other lights. They are plenty bright for any type of riding especially if you have them as a handlebar/helmet combo. The only downsides are that they don't have a remote (which can be useful). According to their website, they have upgraded their batteries so they can run 2.5 hours at max. At $239.00, there are very few quality lights that can match this light.