Dinotte XML-3 2500 vs Gloworm XS 2500- Mtbr.com
    eastman

Dinotte XML-3 2500 vs Gloworm XS 2500

Hello - it's the time of year again!

Anyone have any feedback on the two lights above. They're both priced about the same. The Gloworm is a little more $$, but does have a wireless remote, which could really come in handy.

links to website below. Thanks!

https://www.glowormlites.co.nz/produ...-light-system/

2020 DiNotte XML-3 Headlight 2500+ Lumens – DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store

mtbr member
    I'd just go with the Gloworm. Personally I've never liked the beam pattern produced by lamps designed with round lamp heads using one piece multi-optics. With the GW product you can buy various mounts and various optics and dial the beam pattern in to your liking. I like having the option of choosing my optics. DiNotte doesn't give you that option.

If you buy from ActionLED you can also choose the emitter tint that you want if you don't want the standard cool white. There is a small extra charge for the switch-out but it is reasonable. With DiNotte you don't get those types of choices.

I can't comment on the wireless remote feature of the GW as I don't own one that has that feature but in my opinion for MTB'n, the GW products are probably your best "Bang for the Buck" for a premium light system.

eastman
    Thanks, CMD. What's the difference between the two emitters - Daylight and Neutral White?

Also, I'm planning to mount this on my helmet, which I see the kit includes. Will the included extension cable allow enough length for me to put the battery in my camelbak?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I own and really like the Gloworm XS with wireless remote. The wireless remote is great with a helmet mounted light. The mounting options and ability to change lenses is a real plus. Also nice that the light/battery uses a common type connector, so there are less expensive 3rd party battery options available. Action LED is a great company to deal with and has been in business for many years. They can also service/repair the light if ever needed.

The Neutral White is better when riding dirt trails. I ride with my battery pack in my jersey pocket using the supplied extension cord, so it should work fine with your Camelbak.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I'd just go with the Gloworm. Personally I've never liked the beam pattern produced by lamps designed with round lamp heads using one piece multi-optics. With the GW product you can buy various mounts and various optics and dial the beam pattern in to your liking. I like having the option of choosing my optics. DiNotte doesn't give you that option.........
    I too would prefer the Gloworm for greater flexibility of the beam pattern, but is not fair to say that the optics can not be changed on the Dinotte. Dinotte use the Ledil CUTE-3 optic on that light. That optic is available from various suppliers in a super floody 60 degree beam down to a somewhat floody 15 degree beam.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I own the Gloworm XS (with all sorts of lenses) and Dinotte lights for years. Personally I prefer Dinotte because of the overall build quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eastman
    Quote Originally Posted by juergenor View Post
    I own the Gloworm XS (with all sorts of lenses) and Dinotte lights for years. Personally I prefer Dinotte because of the overall build quality.

Thanks, Juergenor! Do you see a difference in the Gloworm vs Dinotte at 100% or 50%? several of the guys I ride with say they only use the Dinotte at 50%, so no need to switch back and forth. I like the idea of having a remote (as with the gloworm), where I could easily flip to 100% in the tricky technical sections and then back to 50% to conserve battery. Our night rides are typically 3+ hours, so battery life can be an issue. thanks again and great to get a comparison from someone who has both lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman View Post
    Thanks, Juergenor! Do you see a difference in the Gloworm vs Dinotte at 100% or 50%? several of the guys I ride with say they only use the Dinotte at 50%, so no need to switch back and forth. I like the idea of having a remote (as with the gloworm), where I could easily flip to 100% in the tricky technical sections and then back to 50% to conserve battery. Our night rides are typically 3+ hours, so battery life can be an issue. thanks again and great to get a comparison from someone who has both lights.
    If the wireless remote is a feature you'll use I think you've answered your own question. Seems like an important feature to me for the ride situation you described.
    Mole

eastman
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    If the wireless remote is a feature you'll use I think you've answered your own question. Seems like an important feature to me for the ride situation you described.
    Mole
    Agreed, Mole! My riding buds keep their Dinotte's at 50% during the entire ride, as the battery life is around 5hrs doing this. they claim the 50%/1,400 lums is more then enough light (so no need for a switch). I think a remote switch would be a great option to use, if and when you may need it and you'd still have plenty of battery for a 3+ hr ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've never used the GW, but have had Dinotte XML-3s for years. (One light, upgraded by Dinotte a couple of times as better LEDs came out, for a very reasonable fee.) They're made in New Hampshire and the ability to get them upgraded rather than throwing them in the trash is a really good thing, IMO.

On longer rides, I often climb on the medium setting, descend on high, and switch to low any time we stop to avoid blinding each other. (All my riding partners also run Dinotte lights.) I run a helmet mount, and it's so easy to reach and toggle between the settings I can't imaging the real need for a separate remote. I frequently drop into a DH section and forget to turn my light back to high, but it takes about 1 second of off-the-handlebar time, about the same as wiping a bead of sweat or a big cobweb off your eye. I also can't compare the beam pattern to a GW, but find it essentially perfect for all the riding I do.

My only compliant is that the battery, while big and long lasting, is pretty chunky to fit in a pocket. It works, but you don't want to fall on it. I wish a more long and flat, "phone shape" version were available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VtVolk View Post
    My only compliant is that the battery, while big and long lasting, is pretty chunky to fit in a pocket. It works, but you don't want to fall on it. I wish a more long and flat, "phone shape" version were available.
    My friends and I have had great luck with KD Batteries, including flatpack for Jersey pockets. I plastidipped mine.

http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...n-Battery-Pack

Dinotte XML-3 2500 vs Gloworm XS 2500-s024761-1-768x1000.jpg

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    My friends and I have had great luck with KD Batteries, including flatpack for Jersey pockets. I plastidipped mine.

http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...n-Battery-Pack

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S024761-1-768x1000.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1284039
    I'll 2nd the recommendation for the KD packs. I've had good luck w/ a variety of the NCR18650B packs (2,4, and 6 cell). Affordable, high capacity, and trouble free.
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I'll 2nd the recommendation for the KD packs. I've had good luck w/ a variety of the NCR18650B packs (2,4, and 6 cell). Affordable, high capacity, and trouble free.
    A lot of peeps on this list have had good luck with Hunk Lee, he ships from NJ.

https://tinyurl.com/y2rgx8yf

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Eastman - I dont bother switching between 50 and 100% - I use GW and Dinotte lights with 6-cell KD battery packs always at full power. I ride mostly on the road and the brighter lights compete quite well with oncoming traffic. This is also another reason why I prefer Dinotte lights - they have a fantastic blinking pattern.

mtbr member
    Thanks, CMD. What's the difference between the two emitters - Daylight and Neutral White?

Also, I'm planning to mount this on my helmet, which I see the kit includes. Will the included extension cable allow enough length for me to put the battery in my camelbak?
    The Daylight or cool white is gonna be the brightest. When it comes to MTB'n brightest is not always the best way to go. That said it really does depend on the type of environment you tend to ride. If you routinely ride tight single track with lots of trees and green foliage lining the trails then NW provides a more natural color to the terrain and has less reflective feedback that could constrict your pupils which of course effects your night vision. NW also tends to not light up particulate matter in the air in the same manner as cool white.

With all this in mind a lot depends on how you are using the light ( bars vs. helmet ) and the type of beam pattern provided by the lamp optics. I prefer NW in the ( 4000 to 4500K range ) for use on the bars. Where I differ is what I prefer for helmet use. If I'm using a multi-emitter lamp on the lid I want the same NW emitters with all spot optics. Because this type of lamp is just brighter it will produce a wider beam pattern and light up more area. That said once again NW helps keep down reflective glare which helps you see more detail in typical wooded trail terrain. If I use a lamp with just a single emitter on the helmet I tend to favor a cool white in the 5500-6000K range but only because it might help add a little more throw and a little more over-all illumination.

If I were to order one of the newer GW's ( the XS with wireless remote ). I would likely ask Jim at ActionLED if he could fit mine with NW XP-L HI's and all spot optics for helmet use. A triple ( in-line ) emitter lamp with all XP-L HI's would have fantastic throw and tons of spill. If for for the bars I'd go with the standard XM-L2's NW and have a wide optic over the middle emitter and then two spot optics on each end.

Keep in mind all the Gloworm lamps are user programmable which is a great feature to have. I've been riding with a GW X2 on my MTB bars since they first came out. For the bars I really don't like using a lamp that doesn't have a remote feature anymore. Having a remote just makes changing modes so much more easier since you never have to take your hands off the bars. I've always wanted a GW wireless lamp for the helmet but since I already have a very good helmet lamp I can't justify the expense just to have the wireless remote.

( Note- not sure if the GW kits come with an extension wire for the helmet but more than likely they do. Go to the ActionLED website and just check to see what comes in the full kits )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Thanks Patski and Baker!

Does that KD battery pack plug right into a Dinotte? The fitting looks the same...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VtVolk View Post
    Thanks Patski and Baker!

Does that KD battery pack plug right into a Dinotte? The fitting looks the same...
    I think Dinotte uses a proprietary connector, so the KD battery pack will not work. This battery pack connector will work with Gloworm, which is a big plus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    I think Dinotte uses a proprietary connector, so the KD battery pack will not work. This battery pack connector will work with Gloworm, which is a big plus.
    Actually the connector is the same - you just have to cut of the outer ring of the KD connector on the battery with an exactor knife.