DiNotte x-3 or Gemini duo. I'm stalled.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DiNotte x-3 or Gemini duo. I'm stalled.

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these today. I keep going back and forth.
    I like the wireless remote on the Duo, but the Dinotte seems to be higher quality?
    One light, on my helmet, for single track in the Pacific Northwest. Which one would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ser jameson View Post
    ...... One light, on my helmet, for single track in the Pacific Northwest. Which one would you choose?
    A second light. Or at least a good LED flashlight and some way to mount it in the event that your single light fails or gets broken.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    A second light. Or at least a good LED flashlight and some way to mount it in the event that your single light fails or gets broken.
    Yes, obviously. I'll have a back up light. Someday I'll have a second nice light, but for now, I just need to choose one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I second Vancbiker!! I know I'm repeating myself, but as I have had a light fail mid ride and was saved by my second light I can't recommend enough to ride with two lights. If you have a light fail in a black diamond section with no back up, your riding season could be over.

Both lights on your list are good. If you were living in a warmer demographic I would suggest the Dinotte all the way as it handles the heat better than the Duo. But in the PNW your climate is pretty much the same as where I live (Squamish BC). The Duo should be just fine. Wireless remote is pretty sweet if your riding techy terrain as its nice not to have to take your hands of the bars to adjust output in those conditions.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the Duo-R as well but only because you have no bar lamp. My reasoning behind that is that the Duo-R will likely have a slightly wider beam pattern..AND...if you decide to add a second lamp ( which would be the smart thing to do ) if you already own the Duo you will likely have the option to switch optics at a later date to provide a beam pattern more usable to whatever purpose ( bars or helmet ) you wish to use it for.

mtbr member
    I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these today. I keep going back and forth.
    I like the wireless remote on the Duo, but the Dinotte seems to be higher quality?
    One light, on my helmet, for single track in the Pacific Northwest. Which one would you choose?

Choosing between these two for solo light usage I'd go with the Dinotte, more power and a better beam pattern (for solo usage) are the major reasons. Better choice IMO would be a Gemini Olympia. Same price range, wider beam and more throw, more overall power, the remote you like. Also if you can wait a couple of months the Gemini lights will be available in the neutral white tint that I prefer and seems to be universally liked by the comments I read here. Something to consider!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a Dinotte XML3 and a Gemini Xera. The Dinotte is way higher quality in my opinion. I regret not buying a second Dinotte instead of the Gemini.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the XML-3 dual. One is plenty tho but the 2 are great. I have not seen the beam pattern of the Gemini but can tell you the beam pattern of the Dinotte is awesome. Ride w/ up to 15 other riders w/ various lights and the Dinotte always has the best beam pattern. No circles, etc and no hot spot, just a big amount of light in front of the bike from the front tire to about 70 ahead. Mine are 5 years old, they always work. Tho after 5 years the batters are getting tired but I think that would be the case for any light.

They now have a self contained light. So does Glowworm. You may want to check those out as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    I have a Dinotte XML3 and a Gemini Xera. The Dinotte is way higher quality in my opinion. I regret not buying a second Dinotte instead of the Gemini.
    Well, DiNotte is renown for the quality of their builds, no question about that. Still, it's nice to have one lamp that is programmable. I figure if you have the DiNotte on the helmet and the Duo on the bars you should have a very good set-up.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I'd get the gloworm dual instead of the gemini. And the gloworm batteries seems to be better than eceything else (maybe not lupine though).

I have a xera flashlight and its good.

I have an olympia and quite good too but it needs moving air or it will clock down.

I laso have a 3 led gloworm and its my main light. But once cry once. At its lowest setting with the 4 cell gloworm battery it last for a long time. and its a beast on max power.

I initially planned on running both the olympia and the 3 led gloworm but it was just overkill.

If i had to do it all over again I would have gotten a lupine 1,5k lumen or higher with the biggest pack and the xera flashlight (i like the xera for using around the house )
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Well???? Any luck on your decision?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Well???? Any luck on your decision?
    Yes! I ordered the DiNotte. Hopefully it'll be here any day .

I'm going to see how it looks, and then find a second light. I almost just got two of the X-3s, but my cheap side reared it head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I'm going to see how it looks, and then find a second light. I almost just got two of the X-3s, but my cheap side reared it head.

You should be happy as Dinotte makes good products. Don't cheap out on the second light,(buy cheap,,buy twice).

mtbr member
    Congrats! I don't recall ever hearing of anyone dissatisfied with the light you chose. Let us knoiw how you like it.
    Mole

Magically Delicious
    I went with 2 DiNotte XML-3's and couldn't be happier! Superb quality!

The new DiNotte XML-3's now claim over 2000 lumens.

NEW 2016 DiNotte XM-3 Headlight 2000+ Lumens ? DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

~ B A D A S S ~
    Do you run both of them at the same time? How do you like it?

I tried tunning an olympia downwards and my xs straight forward, but in the end it was just too bulky with 2 packs and all, and the xs was good enough on its own anyway.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I went with 2 DiNotte XML-3's and couldn't be happier! Superb quality!

The new DiNotte XML-3's now claim over 2000 lumens.

NEW 2016 DiNotte XM-3 Headlight 2000+ Lumens ? DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store
    I'd be interested to know what kind of beam pattern the new 2016 version of the XML3 is producing. If it was similar to the first versions of the XML3 I would be impressed. I have a feeling though that the newer versions are going to be wider.

@cleared2, What's your impression of the new XML3's beam pattern. Does it have enough throw?

Magically Delicious
    Yepper, both at the same time. One on the bars and one on the helmet.

Magically Delicious
    I don't have the new 2000 lumen XML-3's, mine are several years old and are the earlier 1,500 lumen units. The throw on those are more than adequate for me.

mtbr member
    I don't have the new 2000 lumen XML-3's, mine are several years old and are the earlier 1,500 lumen units. The throw on those are more than adequate for me.
    Ah, okay. I knew what the beam pattern on the earlier versions look like. The link you provided shows that their is a new version now. DiNotte is calling it the "XM-3" but looks like the old XML3. If the new ones are truly in the area of +2K lumen output that would make for a very nice output. I just have a feeling that the beam pattern is going to be wider than the original XML-3. I won't know for sure though until someone supplies a photo showing the new beam pattern at distance.

I wish someone could convince the people at DiNotte to offer a choice of ( NW emitters ) for their best lamps. If they did I bet they would be surprised at how well they would sell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My guess is the lumen claims are probably accurate based on Dinotte's past honest lumen claims. This should really be a sweet light as long as it has a good balance of width and throw. As for anyone outside of Dinotte suggesting to them what leds to use (good luck), Although they make great products, their also known for coming across a little arrogant at times.

Looks like their using a 4C binned led. I'm not sure where that lies in the Kelvin?
    Last edited by indebt; 02-15-2016 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    According to the website, the XM-3 is still $229.00.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Dog View Post
    According to the website, the XM-3 is still $229.00.
    I was scratching my head as I just checked again and it said $316. But now realized the website must have my IP address or something and automatically converted to Canadian dollars. So i'll go correct my other post. $229US no change,,,, and great value for the quality and output.

mtbr member
    I wonder if they would exchange the 1600 lumen one I just bought for one of the new ones.

RAKC
    229 for nothing but a basic light with outdated emitters, base level cells for the battery etc. Just cant see that kind of money for a very basic light.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ tigris, If you're referring to DiNotte's, $229 for 1,600 lumens of dependable quality is a real value.

229/1,600 = $0.143 per lumen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^^ tigris, If you're referring to DiNotte's, $229 for 1,600 lumens of dependable quality is a real value.

229/1,600 = $0.143 per lumen.
    New version is 2000+ lumens. Good value IMO.

RAKC
    Lights, like alot of Cycling stuff to me has alot of "lack of bang for buck". There is lights out there that are just as good but cost similar less while having simple things like a remote, programmable mode levels etc.

The way info reads on dinotte lights they are behind the curve but still charging the higher prices. Not saying their bad lights, just more to be had for the money.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    New version is 2000+ lumens. Good value IMO.

Yep, I'm thinking about the older version. So...

229/2000 = $0.1145 per lumen. A much better value.

Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Lights, like alot of Cycling stuff to me has alot of "lack of bang for buck". There is lights out there that are just as good but cost similar less while having simple things like a remote, programmable mode levels etc.

The way info reads on dinotte lights they are behind the curve but still charging the higher prices. Not saying their bad lights, just more to be had for the money.
    Ok, so, demonstrate who has better value than that. I have own many different lights, and I've yet to find better quality or value.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Ok, so, demonstrate who has better value than that. I have own many different lights, and I've yet to find better quality or value.
    Cleared2land I'm not trying to answer for tigris99,,,,, and although I share your view that the new version of the Dinotte is good value for a proven quality set up. One does come to mind as a bit better value.

The new version Gemini (Olympia). 2100 lumens/ wireless remote/ 6 cell Samsung battery pack/ programmable on each of the four output modes/ proven quality product. Same price as the Dinotte. So yes,, a bit more for your $$$.

RAKC
    There is definitely a lot of lights far worse. Pay outrageous amount for a brand name that's just that, a name, but can't barely compete against decent Chinese lights for quality.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ Bingo! I accept this as a viable challenge to my statement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I fully agree. Dinotte by far has had the highest quality of any light I've owned. My NiteRider lights aren't bad either but Dinotte is just better and the output for the money is great. The beam pattern is the best I've used to date. I had no idea they had bumped up the output and battery capacity recently. I might order an extra battery for use with my 1,500 lumen light for a little extra runtime not that I need it. I'm literally going to buy one of the new 2,000 lumen lights, maybe two of them just because. Maybe a birthday present for one of my friends or a present for me. I was tempted to order the 4 LED version but I love how small and light the 3 LED version is and since they use the same battery I wasn't prepared to lose runtime with the brighter light. Now it seems like you can have you cake and eat it too.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have been night riding long enough that my first light was a NightSun. I have had a Dinotte XML-3 mounted on my bars for a little over 4 years. At some point I had a crash that ripped the wires out of the light. Dinotte repaired it for around $20.00 and had the light back to me in a few days. My original battery is getting a bit tired. I just got a Dinotte XML-2 to mount on my helmet. I am using the new battery with the XML-3 and the old battery with the XML-2. With both lights on the medium setting I can ride over 3 hours without thinking about the lights. I like the small form factor of the XML-2 for the helmet light. I like the helmet light to be a little weaker than the bar light so that it doesn't wash out the texture of the trail. If I ride with only a helmet light I can't see the bumps since the shadows are in line with my line of sight. If you only have one light, I would recommend mounting it on the bars.

Cheap lights are just that, cheap. You may have great luck with them, or you may not. I don't like riding/walking home in the dark.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

DaFaJa
    I just ordered the 2016 2k lm from Dinotte, But it looks like the battery packs are on back order..
    I used to work at a hobby shop building matched cells, What are you guys using to build your own packs?
    Also what plus are you guys using?

Thanks
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

RAKC
    Mosy don't make our own packs. There is a big difference in nicad RC packs and what we use. You can't go about it with any of the same techniques as you did with RC packs. Batteries for these are Lithium Ion, can't solder them (well you can if you have the right knowledge and equipment, but if the cell starts to heat up its over)

You would have been a lot better off buying a light with a pack included or prepared to source a pack from somewhere else.

DaFaJa
    I did order it with the battery But there on back order..
    I was hoping to have it be for the weekend.
    But thank you for the info...

RAKC
    Ah OK. There are options out there for packs all over. I'm not sure if dinotte uses the same connector as everyone else.