Dinotte or Gloworm for trail commuter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Dinotte or Gloworm for trail commuter?

Hey all,
    I am trying to decide between a Dinotte XML-3 and a Gloworm X2 for commuting at night on an unlighted but not technical trail.
    Sometimes I would also use the headlight for longer night rides of about three hours.
    Two things I like about the Gloworm is it would use the same batteries I have from my now (mostly nonworking) Magicshine light, and the Gloworm has a remote switch so I could quickly dim the light in oncoming bike traffic.
    As for the Dinotte, I like the quality of their products.
    Am I correct about that remote switch on the Gloworm?
    Any thoughts on these two lights, please?
    Many thanks!

mtbr member
    The remote switch is about the best feature a light can have IMO. Especially in the colder weather when riding with thick gloves. I like Dinotte and you cannot beat them when it comes to quality and value for money, but in dealing with them I found the representative to be EXTREMELY arrogant. The Dinotte lights dissipate heat well, but it makes for a really terrible form-factor. They are bulky. Not that the X2 has too many heating issues, so it should not be a factor. It is much more costly than the Dinotte, but I think it's a better overall light.

mtbr member
    Gloworm x2 or XS.
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've got the Dinotte XML-3 and a Gloworm X1, both seem to be of similar quality. Pretty sure they have the same kind of battery connector as well.

The Gloworm does have a remote switch where the Dinotte has the button on the back of the light head. Both are nice lights and put out good light, you'd likely be happy with either one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a Dinotte XML3 and am super stoked on it. I'd buy another in a second...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    The remote switch is about the best feature a light can have IMO. Especially in the colder weather when riding with thick gloves. I like Dinotte and you cannot beat them when it comes to quality and value for money, but in dealing with them I found the representative to be EXTREMELY arrogant. The Dinotte lights dissipate heat well, but it makes for a really terrible form-factor. They are bulky. Not that the X2 has too many heating issues, so it should not be a factor. It is much more costly than the Dinotte, but I think it's a better overall light.
    Sorry but I just had to laugh. In this case I'm nodding my head in agreement because many years ago when I tried to ask the DiNotte people technical questions about their lamps I found them to be ...well...( saying it nicely ) , not very informative. Ask them anything having to do with the technical aspects of their products and you will find them very unwilling to discuss the issues.

I think a lot of the reasons for this stems from the fact that at one time they were one of the "first" manufacturers to make high powered bike lamps with LED's. About a year after they introduced the 600L ( perhaps the first marketed 600 lumen bike lamp ), the S.Koreans came out with the SSC P-7 led which, at the time was the first of a kind "high powered LED".

Soon afterwards the Chinese began to buy these in bulk and started flooding the market with single cell 18650 torches using the P-7 for about $35 each. Since the P-7 could output roughly 600 lumen it soon became very apparent that the American companies that were selling 600 lumen bike lamps weren't going to be getting that $400 that they used to get for their set-ups. Not long after, Magicshine came out with their first 808 P-7 lamp ( introduced at about $75, including a 4-cell cheapo battery ). The rest is history. No doubt this change in market competition helped lead to DiNotte's ( often times ) negative ( and sometimes uninformative ) attitude when asked about their products.

On the upside the DiNotte products have always been well made and prices are now within reason for their base products. Customer service has always been good. I see no reason not to buy a DiNotte product if one is inclined to do so.

mtbr member
    I have 3 of the XLM-3 and have had great success with them. What I like about them is that you can get them upgraded. For instance, I have the older XLM-3s. I am having them upgraded from 1200 lumens to 1600 lumens.