Dinotte battery question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Dinotte battery question

Hey all

I bought the 800L/400L combo when it first came out and the batteries, which are still pretty good in warm weather will need to be replaced probably when it gets cold as they will be going on 4 years old. One battery has not been recharged as much and is better but I'd like to take apart the other battery and see if I can replace the cells. Has anyone done this.

Also have 2 GEO replacement batteries coming and was thinking about the upgrade to the 6.0 and using one on the Dinotte 800L. I would have to solder new connectors on the GEO battery.

Which way would you guys go on this. I don't see how the Dinotte battery comes apart.

Thx

MB

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

dinotte batteries

My suggestion is to just buy a replacement from Dinotte. when you start pricing out the cells and fooling around with the inards, you won't be saving more than ten or fifteen dollars on you system that cost hundreds. Keep it up to specs.

Got a suspension fork
    How did this story end?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Funny you ask.

Last night was the first night I really needed them for several hours. Summer is a beautiful thing but the sun is setting earlier and we stayed out late.

The 800L only lasted 30 min before the low battery warning. Going on it's 4th Winter season though so I'm not surprised. The 400L was on for 2 1/2 hrs on high and didn't go to low batt.

I'd really like to use the new GEO 6.0 that I have on the 800L as I like the light and know they are bomb proof.

Have a few weeks to decide but more than likely I will just order a $50 smaller battery for the 400L and use the 2 large batteries for the 800L. I ordered the larger battery for the helmet when I bought this and that battery is pretty good still as it hasn't been charged that much. It is not new though either and when the weather turns cold, they may both be useless. I just don't know yet.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Funny you ask.

Last night was the first night I really needed them for several hours. Summer is a beautiful thing but the sun is setting earlier and we stayed out late.

The 800L only lasted 30 min before the low battery warning. Going on it's 4th Winter season though so I'm not surprised. The 400L was on for 2 1/2 hrs on high and didn't go to low batt.

I'd really like to use the new GEO 6.0 that I have on the 800L as I like the light and know they are bomb proof.

Have a few weeks to decide but more than likely I will just order a $50 smaller battery for the 400L and use the 2 large batteries for the 800L. I ordered the larger battery for the helmet when I bought this and that battery is pretty good still as it hasn't been charged that much. It is not new though either and when the weather turns cold, they may both be useless. I just don't know yet.

MB
    I found that the DiNotte batteries work with my MS or Bikeray light heads...however it won't work the other way round because the DiNotte light head plug has the protective outer sleeve on the male plug and so won't work with the MS or BR battery. You can fix this by trimming the outer sleeve from the DiNotte male plug but then you lose your water protection when using a DiNotte battery, hence not the way I would go. I'd suggest that you buy a Y- connector from DiNotte and cut the female plug off to make a patch cord. Simply buy another Y-connector from BR or Geoman and then patch the two together. If you have minor DIY skills ( and some electronic knowledge ) you should be about to do this without too much trouble.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    FYI - I spoke with Rob Dinotte about this. He said that older batteries may trigger the low battery warning prematurely but will actually run for the full duration. I did a test with two on my older batteries and my 800L. In both cases, I got the low battery warning after 1 hour but the lights ran on high for over 3 hours before I gave up.

He also said that the batteries should be stored at 50% charge -- not 100%, which may be how I damaged mine. But after 4 years my 600L and 800L are still going strong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Dinotte told me the same thing about battery storage; store them at 50% charge. That's how I'm storing mine now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Damn. I wish i would have known about the 50% charge thing. My 800L hasn't been used since last winter and now doesn't turn on the lamp at all.

I had it and the 400L alternating on the charger and the 400L has been fine but when I tried to plug in my 800L, nothing.

The charger goes red for about 5 sec and then goes green, so I assumed it was holding a charge. Or maybe it is something else? ( sorry to jack this thread)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    how would you know that your batteries are at 50% charge?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    Damn. I wish i would have known about the 50% charge thing. My 800L hasn't been used since last winter and now doesn't turn on the lamp at all.

I had it and the 400L alternating on the charger and the 400L has been fine but when I tried to plug in my 800L, nothing.

The charger goes red for about 5 sec and then goes green, so I assumed it was holding a charge. Or maybe it is something else?
    ( sorry to jack this thread)
    Your 800L should still work. Step one: charge both batteries. Then check both batteries on the 400L. If the 400L is running with both batteries than it's not a battery issue. Since the 800L has not been out that long I would tend to think that all of your stuff should be fine. I have a 600L and all of my stuff still works although I'm sure the battery(s) have lost some capacity.

If I were you I'd contact DiNotte and ask some questions. If you're lucky, you might get a XML-3 out of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Got the XML-3 dual coming.

Can't wait to light up the countryside. LOL

Sold my 800L/400L. Amazingly easy when there's no competition. Got an assist from Rob at Dinotte though on it. Cudos to him. Sold my MS as well but for peanuts. Yet another reason to pass on the cheap lights if you don't have budgetary constraints.

How do those of you who use the XML-3 on the helmet like it. Is the weight ok?

MB

night riding enthusiast
    I've heard of the Dinotte XML3 but not the dual version. What light are you referring to?
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman View Post
    how would you know that your batteries are at 50% charge?
    On the XML-3, you run the light dry and then charge it for 2 hours. According to the directions that came with the light, that gives you about a 50% charge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    MXL-3 dual is just 2 light heads and 2 batteries. There's a pretty good discount on the second one. 449 delivered for both. One is 259 so basically the second one is 190 so I decided to go for it.

Will be using one on the helmet so hope it's not too big for the helmet. Looks ok though.