dinotte 800/400 or dual 400- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

dinotte 800/400 or dual 400

I know I just made a thread asking about what lights i should get. I've spent a lot of time looking and I've decided against Light and Motion because of the cost. I'm still thinking of a trinewt/minewt combo, but recently some friends have steered me towards Dinotte. I'd really like to get a combo for seeing around corners. There seem to be amazing deals online such as $449 for 800/400 and $369 for 400/400. I've talked my my wife into $500 as the absolute max. Although she really wants me to stay under $400

However, I have a problem with each of there. I want to use them for local night rides but also for 24 hour racing. The $800/400 combo only has a 2.5 hour run time, which isn't enough and it only comes with 1 charger so i can't charge both between laps. The 400/400 combo could work quite well but the problem i have with this is that it looks like the handlebar mount has to go right next to the stem and sticks straight out, thus it won't work with a race number on the front of the bike. Anyone have any suggestions that won't bring me over my budget?

Any further suggestions on a better combo for under $500?

is the 400/400 a good combo?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You can move the Dinotte mount anywhere on the bar there is room. In addition, the light has a pivot up and down and the mount has a pivot for side to side. You should have no problem mounting it and you can aim it where it needs to be.

Also, Dinotte has the cheapest batteries around. Adding another battery is easy and cheap.

I have a 600L now on the bars and am going to upgrade to the 800L just because I'm a lumen addict and I ride really fast. The 400L goes on the helmet.

I wouldn't want the dual 400's, I don't think it would put out enough light.

Bear in mind too that you probably won't have to run the 800L wide open all the time either - like climbing for example. Dinotte's lights are the easiest of all to change the lighting level because of the dual switch thing.

I think the 800/400 package out there is just about the most compelling deal going.

J.

mtbr member
    800 on the bar, 400 on the head, only use full power when necessary and your sorted.

If required you can always order an extra battery pack and/or charger later.

mtbr member
    thanks,

wow i just looked and an extra charger is only $30. that's cheap.

Do any of you have experience with this. What is the 800L like on medium power? If I ran them both on medium would it be enough light?

To be honest i'd prefer a 600/200 combo because it's lighter and has a longer run time. and at the last 24 hour race I did, i only have 700 lumens and it was enough for me. And honestly the 800 is massive. It's a huge light. Look at this picture.

But you can't beat $450 for the 800/400, especially when it's $599 for a 600/200 combo.

What is the weight of the 400 like on the helmet? Do you guys mount your battery on your helmet as well or put it in a pack? I hate riding with a pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The 400 on the helmet is really not noticeable. If you add the small battery, you do notice it but it isn't a big deal.

The 600 is a nice sized light - very small. For trail riding it is probably pretty great. I use mine for road biking a lot and I'd like more light for those fast down hills on skinny tires on not so great roads. For that, I'm looking at the 800.

The 600+400 is a nice combination, but it is sort of squished in between the 400 and the 800. The 400 is a more efficient design than the 600 (newer) so the 600 isn't 50% brighter than the 400. I think they are probably updating the 800 this fall and if that comes out, and from all the beamshots, it looks like the 800 is pretty much the already the same as a Wilma (give or take). Somewhere here, someone did an analysis on the 800 and the Wilma and I think the 920 is the lumens at the LED and the 800 is the lumens after the lens or something like that. In other words, they are largely equivalent.

But, where this really works out is in the batteries. Dinotte charges $50 for their batteries and most of the others are much, much more expensive. Batteries will die just from aging so they are sort of a consumable.

I think the perspective in the picture above probably exaggerates the size a bit. That makes the clamp look awfully large. I have that on my bars now, and it's pretty unobtrusive.

J.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your help. I just placed an order for the 800L/400L combo. Can't wait to get it.

mtbr member
    I'm about to pull the trigger on the same combo, but really worth the money? any advice will be appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, what's worth it to you? that's pretty subjective.

I'm big into Dinotte right now. I have a 600L, a 400L and a 400R taillight. Most of my night riding is on a road bike on twisty narrow hilly rural roads. That means a lot of high speed descents on roads that are not in the greatest shape. The 400L on the helmet lets me look into a corner or illuminate a pothole or crack in the pavement that could be a problem. The 600L provides enough light (but I want more and will buy an 800L) for decent descents at speed.

The 400R is a story unto itself. The thing is so bright that cars coming up behind me slow way down and then pass completely in the opposing lane. They have no idea what I am except that they do not want to be close to me or be going too fast. It's great and highly recommended.

If you are riding narrow singletrack at night, the 600L is probably enough but it tends to be a touch on the narrow side. The 800L is wider and much brighter - about double the lumens at 55 lumens. The 400L and 600L are close in lumens (25 vs 33).

Dinotte customer service is top drawer.

With the current 800L/400L combo on the web, I think you are getting the 400L for something like $20. That is a pretty awesome deal.

J.

mtbr member
    It is an awesome deal. I spent the whole day going over the different options in my head (I'm such a nerd I actually made myself a spreadsheet showing all the lumens, runtime and cost of each system). There are other lights that I think have better beam patterns (trinewt is wide, L &M Seca looks really good), but in the end $449 US (and with the canadian dollar doing well that's only $485 Canadian) for 1200 lumens is the best deal out there. The only think that even comes close is a deal with exposure lights for the maxxx enduro 2 and the Joystick with helmet mount for around the same price. I like the idea of no batteries to mount and no wires and less weight but realistically if the battery dies you have to get a new light. You can't just spend $50 bucks and be right back at it. And they also have a 15 hr recharge time.

When looking at beam comparisons there were other lighting systems I thought had slightly better quality light. But when I really thought about it, dinotte 800/400 is the best deal on the market right now. I couldn't pass it up, or pay more for less light.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I love my 400/400 it is fantastic, cheap and light. Batteries are cheap, service is great. Its a GREAT deal for quality lights!

Ken

mtbr member
    I just got them in the mail and charged them up. I'm excited for dark. I'm going on a ride at 9:30 or 10 tonight. I'll report back later.

mtbr member
    I got the 800/400 combo and am really happy. Did a group ride with about 18 others and I had, by far, the brightest lights. I was following a guy and when I finally told him I wanted around he said, "Okay, but I'm using you're lights!"

Great lights, very bright, and I can't wait to go out Friday night this week.

mtbr member
    I just usedd them for the first time monday night. They work great. Plenty of light. I crashed hard (enough i was limping the next day and people asked me what happened) and people have asked me if it's because the lights aren't good enough. This isn't the case. In fact the opposite. The lights were so good and i was so excited to be night riding with that much light that i was riding the trails harder and faster than i do during the day and I made a mistake.

It's a really good combo. The 800 on the handlebar is wide and provides good light to cover the trail in front of you and the 400 as a tighter beam pattern which works well as a spotlight to really light up exactly where you are looking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup, the 800/400 combo is the way to go. They appear to be rather inexpensive too.