Dinotte 1200 vs xml 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Dinotte 1200 vs xml 3

Looking for some feedback - don't know anyone with experience with Dinotte lights. Trying to decide between the 1200 and xml 3 (at this point not interested in other brands). Will be used in tight singletrack, need a good 2 hours run time, very cold weather. Already have a niterider minewt that I find works well as a helmet mount light, so this will be used on my bars. Is the 1200 overkill for my needs? From reading various reviews it seems like the xml 3 is hard to beat. Just want to buy something that works well and will last (and so don't mind spending a few extra bucks if it is genuinely worth it). Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I did, some useful info, but not a lot of "real world experience", which is what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Chunky

I have the Dinotte XML-3 dual. One is plenty bright. I use them on the bars. The bean is nice and wide, I think better suited for the bars.

I've had them for almost a year now. Batteries work great in any weather. I accidentally pulled the wire out of the back tightening the light head on the bars. Sent to Dinotte for repair, they sent back asap and repaired it under warranty even after I told them it was user error. They say the high beam will run 2.5 hrs. I think it runs for more but never took it to the limit. I would say you'll get 2.5 hrs in very cold weather. Replacement batteries are relatively cheap for the quality of the battery. And of course, the light head is well made.

I would buy another.

mb

Go Bruins!
    I own the XML-3 as well and use it alone on a helmet in the northeast. The high setting is really only needed when going fast or when it first starts to get dark. Under total darkness, I find low and medium capable for most situations. It's easy to cycle through modes. You might find that the Dinotte washes out your helmet light. It's a great light.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    XML-3 is very capable. I have one and primarily use as helmet light with the 1200 on the bars. Lots of spread from the 1200 and lots of punch from the XML-3.
    That said the XML-3 does have a pretty good spread and should work just fine on it's own on the bars or helmet/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks all - went with the xml3. Seems pretty tough to beat, and Dinotte was good to deal with. Will be a huge upgrade to my current set up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the xml3 as well and I mostly run it on the low setting. I am very happy with how it performs. I swap it between bikes so it get road, trail and beach work. Enjoy your new light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dinotte is amazing to deal with - I will echo that. I have the 1200 on the bars. In the cold it does not seem to run as long as claimed, but Dinotte said send it back and they would check it out. I never did since I have stopped riding in sub freezing temps. I like the 1200 on the bars, beam is very wide. good luck.

mtbr member
    after reading through the site i'm going to order a 1200L+ for my bars and a xml 3 for my helmet, along with a 300r for when i'm riding in the city..i like the wide beam pattern on the 1200l+... still curious what battery life people are getting with the current version of the 1200L+

Members who have read this thread: 0