Diffuser lense- Mtbr.com

Thread: Diffuser lense

ride for fun

Diffuser lense

Where can I get this diffuser? I thought I got it from action led but now they don't seem to stock it. Ignore the packaging, I believe it's for another style.

It fits the og magicshine from geomangear, but I'm using it on a new light and my buddy wants the same one.

Attachment 1296317Diffuser lense-mvimg_20191202_224038.jpg
    Last edited by nick d; 1 Week Ago at 06:34 AM. Reason: update picture
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

ride for fun
    thanks, but i have one of those, they have vertical lines that create a "rectangle" of light rather than a total flood effect like the one i posted.
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    thanks, but i have one of those, they have vertical lines that create a "rectangle" of light rather than a total flood effect like the one i posted.
    Sorry but your original post failed to include any picture.

Try again.

ride for fun
    updated original post

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well from the packaging Iíd agree that it was probably from Action. Contact Jim there, he should know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You could also try installing two of the ellipticals back to back 90 degrees from each other so that their channels criss cross. That will give you a squarish but floody spot.

Canít find any related beam shots in my files right now but will take some again for you tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diffuser lense-f8c02d36-b1fa-447e-9a74-bcdbdbd30e56.jpg  

ride for fun
    that is an interesting idea! yeah if you can post some beam shots id appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    that is an interesting idea! yeah if you can post some beam shots id appreciate it.
    No problem, just gotta wait until dark.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Here Ya Go

Not sure exactly what NW emitter I soldered into this Magicshine clone, probably a CREE XHP70.2.

Anyway the first shot aimed low kinda demonstrates the squarish spot generated by the crisscrossed wide angle lenses.

Magicshine Clone CREE XHP70.2 2x Wide Angle Lens by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Second shot was directed closer to the horizon. Again, unsure of the exact angle because I was wearing the lamp on my head while looking down at the display and likely had been drinking.

Magicshine Clone CREE XHP70.2 2x Wide Angle Lens by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Trick to installing the two diffusers at 90ļ is to first align them over the reflector, then press down on the center of the cover lens while screwing on the bezel. If they shift out of position when tightened all the way you can just unscrew the bezel a little bit, the remaining silicone gasket should take up the slack.

Should you or your buddy decide to purchase the Bright Eyes 3-Pack from Amazon, the red lens can help make a pretty high powered tail. But it does not appear very intense in color when lit up, looks kinda orangey. Guess thatís acceptable but I added a couple layers of red automotive lens repair tape to the flat back in order to get the tint closer to the industry standard ruby.

Magicshine Clone (Gift from Kaidomain) Wide Angle Lens (Red) + 2x Red Automotive Lens Repair Tape by andyXchrist, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Excellent work, thanks for showing.

ride for fun
    awesome work, thanks for the pics and info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Oops!

Well it turns out I only had a CREE XM L2 NW in that Magicshine clone, NOT an XHP70.2 (which is significantly brighter in the same lamp body). Unfortunately the latter demands a slightly deeper insulation gasket around the emitter which raises the reflector, leaving not quite enough room under the bezel to fit two wide angle lenses at once. Good news is that just a single one of them is enough to make the beam useful with the XHP (See my comparison of such against the KD BL70S here: https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post14342363 )

Also failed to include any shots of the red lens without the 3M repair tape, Díoh!

Below you can see the XM L2 emitter under the 2x Wide Angle Lenses as well as the original, unmodified red lens that allows the MJ clone to blaze like a road flare.

Diffuser lense-e52f4257-8555-4f5c-b4e9-541f49234633.jpgDiffuser lense-13e538f2-dc99-415f-861a-c4237727feba.jpgDiffuser lense-215d3337-d8ca-410b-873b-c860ae54a40f.jpg

mtbr member
    One thing you could try, if so inclined, is to get two of those lenses, cut one in half parallel to the cylindrical lenses and the other in half perpendicular to the cylindrical lenses and then join halves from each together. The net effect would depend on how light is directed by the reflector through each half.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thatís a great idea, LR! You could back up the two halves with the lampís original glass cover lens for protection.

Another thing that occurred to me, when using a single wide angle lens, is to install it with the ridges oriented horizontally. That could really be of use on single track where you want extended throw rather than a panorama. I should try taking some beam shots of that with my XHP.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    .....Another thing that occurred to me, when using a single wide angle lens, is to install it with the ridges oriented horizontally. That could really be of use on single track where you want extended throw rather than a panorama. I should try taking some beam shots of that with my XHP.
    The best use of this type lens IMO. While many prefer a wide spread of light out to the sides of the bike, I prefer that area unlit. Light to the sides creates weird moving shadows that I find eye-catching and a distraction.

Helmet light provides the light I need to see through tight turns switchbacks etc.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    While many prefer a wide spread of light out to the sides of the bike, I prefer that area unlit. Light to the sides creates weird moving shadows that I find eye-catching and a distraction.
    Not to mention the reflective glare you get on narrow paths through heavy foliage.

Anyway, managed to grab a couple new beam shots from my MJ clone upgraded with the XHP70.2 4000K and Wide Angle Lens oriented
    horizontally, just as dawn was breaking.

Magicshine Clone CREE XHP70.2 Wide Angle Lens, Horizontal Orientation, Vertical Ellipse by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Magicshine Clone CREE XHP70.2 Wide Angle Lens Horizontal by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Magicshine Clone CREE XHP70.2 Wide Angle Lens Horizontal by andyXchrist, on Flickr

mtbr member

Different strokes for different folks!

Considering a lot of the trails I ride are lined with cactus I think I'll continue to run my wide angle lens covers oriented for a wider horizontal beam. I have to use the needle nose pliers I carry in my pack far too often as it is.
    Mole

mtbr member
    The O.P. could also just use DC Fix diffuser film (or even Glad Press-N-Seal saran wrap) to get some flood effect. See this BLF thread for info, links, and photos.

I should do some output testing to see how much light is lost with those MagicShine wide angle lenses, I feel like it may be significant.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

ride for fun
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    The O.P. could also just use DC Fix diffuser film (or even Glad Press-N-Seal saran wrap) to get some flood effect. See this BLF thread for info, links, and photos.

I should do some output testing to see how much light is lost with those MagicShine wide angle lenses, I feel like it may be significant.

-Garry
    That's good info, might try that as well!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Garry! Iím going to try that on my KD BL70S since the bezel is too large to support the Action-LED Wide Angle Lens.

Though I suspect that the d-c-fix would be more lossy as it appears frosty, while the W.A.L. is perfectly transparent.

In any case the diffuser increases the perceived efficiency of Magicshine style lights with their little hot spots and faint spill by creating an even flood. This more than makes up for any losses IMHO.

Hoping the Milky film works as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So the RAVPower 4-Port USB Chargers I just got from Amazon came in these translucent protective sleeves.

RAV Power protective pouch by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Traced the KDLITKER BL70S cover lens onto one side, leaving a mm or two border for depth inside the bezel when I cut it out. Sprayed inside of lens with SpicínSpan (Citrus scent, natch), applied RAV material and smoothed out with middle finger until creases and bubbles were all gone. Screwed lens back into lamp and voila!

KDLITKER BL70S RAV Power protective pouch cut to size by andyXchrist, on Flickr

KDLITKER BL70S RAV Power protective pouch cut to size by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Beam looks good in my living room, soft spot with no rings or color separation. Canít wait for dark to test it outdoors!

Crap, now itís raining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I've used DC FIX and it works great and I was able to frost all my garage windows with the leftover!

Boaz on BLF selling envelope sized sheets for cheap(er).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pardon the rain, but here are a couple beam shots from my KDLITKER BL70s modded with that home brewed RAV Power diffuser.

KDLITKER BL70s CREE XHP70.2 DIY RAV Power Diffuser by andyXchrist, on Flickr

KDLITKER BL70s CREE XHP70.2 DIY RAV Power Diffuser by andyXchrist, on Flickr