A different bike light design- Mtbr.com
    Light freak

A different bike light design

Adaptive bike lighting? Saw this on Facebook -

https://www.facebook.com/mysticdevic...5288683069401/

mtbr member
    Interesting idea. Their tech demo seems to use a very narrow beam compared to what I have seen mounted to handlebars before, maybe this is intentional to show off the automatic steering of the beam?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BeWGtM5B..._web_copy_link

Also, I am super not a fan of people using lights at twilight when they aren't needed, as in the Facebook video. I guess they were just trying to make a glamorous video, but I hate losing my twilight/sunset vision to people blazing their lights prematurely.

mtbr member
    Kinda cagey about showing much of the light head itself.

mtbr member
    Interesting concept but the throw of the lamp appears to be limited, particularly when going around corners. This is why having a good helmet lamp makes all this idea of a,"self steering lamp" somewhat moot. If you have the right optics on your bar lamp and a helmet light you can aim wherever you want, you already have everything you need.

edit: Possible though that something like this would be more useful for someone riding on the road with just one lamp. Of course with the lamp I use the beam pattern covers almost the whole road so for me owning something like this lamp would be a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    ....I am super not a fan of people using lights at twilight when they aren't needed, as in the Facebook video. I guess they were just trying to make a glamorous video, but I hate losing my twilight/sunset vision to people blazing their lights prematurely.
    Really depends on where you are riding as to how useful "twilight" is. In the fall/winter you can go longer because no leaves are on the trees. If the trails you ride are rather smooth and less technical than once again you might be able to go longer. Where I ride twilight really isn't helping much and where I ride the trails are filled with all kinds of obstacles. Once that sun goes behind the horizon suddenly I can't see some of the stuff I need to see. When that happens I start off in low and increase the output when needed. Now as long as I can see what I need to see I leave the lights off. If I have doubts I turn them on.

EAT MORE GRIME
    right from Facebook :

"seemlessly steering"

says it all

anyway, with the lights I use (any of the ones everyone talks about here)
    I am 5 times more lit up than those riders in the video

can't imagine how bad that will work when navigating tight rock and turning bars left and right quickly and losing side light as the sensor reacts incorrectly
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Says gimmick to me.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It looks like the left and right lights are pointed outwards at an angle. I think they are then turned on at a higher level when the lighthead is tilted when going around a corner. Just a guess.

They could also be rotating the entire lighthead, but that seems like it would be difficult.

Light freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Says gimmick to me.
    Yeah, I agree. I like the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach when it comes to bike lights.

EAT MORE GRIME
    yeah total gimmick

creates a problem, and doesn't solve anything
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Ahhh was wondering if anyone would ever explore this.

Adaptive lighting as I am sure most of you know has been around the automotive space for a while. There is some really crazy stuff being developed by OEM's that we'll see on the roads in a few years (DLP projectors powerful enough to be a headlight for example). Most of the adaptive stuff involves a swiveling projector unit tied to steering angle. But the new way of thinking is lots of tiny reflectors that have very specific regions they light up. Works amazingly well on the road where there are lots of different situations a car may find themselves in, and the environment is pretty chill when it comes to turning and sudden movements.

The adpative stuff might translate over well enough to road biking, but not so sure about MTB. The environment is just too fast. But I can never say never!

EAT MORE GRIME
    love the overhead shots in the video while they are riding clowntown. no light where they are headed until a short delay and the steering is turned that way. lesson ? you still need a headlamp if you want to light up where you are headed next, not where you are now... and then with a headlamp the hydra3 is not needed.

this problem solves itself. do not buy this, and you'll have a better system.

they say "No heavy and expensive headlamp required!"
    ya right...on groomers maybe, so when you can't see, it doesn't matter 'cuz groomer

and I use ZL's as headlamps, lightest headlamp ever

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A perfect example of "just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done".
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    The adpative stuff might translate over well enough to road biking, but not so sure about MTB. The environment is just too fast. But I can never say never!
    we've got a DLP projector that runs at 60hz. I don't think there will be an issue of it being fast enough.

The issue I see is an inability to use the technology in a manner like we are seeing on the road. It's rather easy to detect objects on a fairly flat and wide surface, especially objects that are not moving at the same speed of the environment (vehicles, pedestrians). Riding trail, nope. The best we can hope for is a system that measures the offset of the steering tube to adjust aim, but we don't need that when we can just mount the light to the bar.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!