Did my LED go bad?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Did my LED go bad?

I've got a little Cateye Volt 100 that I use as a helmet commuter light. It's got a nice tight spot beam pattern that makes it good for shining at drivers without completely blinding them.

Recently I feel like in the middle of the beam pattern there is kind of a dark spot. Is this something that happens? Am I just imagining things?

I've been using it for years and it only cost like $20, so if it needs to be replaced I don't really care. More curious than anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I've got a little Cateye Volt 100 that I use as a helmet commuter light. It's got a nice tight spot beam pattern that makes it good for shining at drivers without completely blinding them.

Recently I feel like in the middle of the beam pattern there is kind of a dark spot. Is this something that happens? Am I just imagining things?

I've been using it for years and it only cost like $20, so if it needs to be replaced I don't really care. More curious than anything.
    Could just be a scratch on the front lens or something that is causing the artifact.
    One hundred lumen isn't much of a helmet lamp. Need I say there are much better options nowadays. Dude, if you're shining a lamp at a driver i wouldn't worry about blinding them unless you are using more than 600 lumen and aiming it at them for more than a couple seconds. The idea is you want to draw their attention. One hundred lumen might not be enough. Now if the 100 has a blink mode that might attract more attention. Heck, I have single AA torches that put out more than 100 lumen. One of my single AA torches will actually put out over 400 lumen if used with a rechargeable Li-ion cell. I suggest buying something using a Cree XPG or XPG2 emitter, has a decent flash mode and uses a replaceable / rechargeable battery. Lots of good small self-contained helmet lights out there right now. Pick your poison.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Actually looking at the LED now, it almost looks burnt. It's kind of brown, not just the usually yellow. Very weird.

I know 100 lumens isn't a lot, but it's small and light and honestly it's been working great for me. I do run something much brighter on the bars, I just like having something a little higher up that moves around. When I want something brighter (usually just when I'm on the trails) I've got a Gloworm X1 as well.