Deal Extreme Light light = Awesome. Battery crapped out in 11mos. Now what?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Deal Extreme Light light = Awesome. Battery crapped out in 11mos. Now what?

I have this DX light. 3000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I don't know what it is a clone of, so I'm not sure what battery will work with it. I have another DX single bulb and the 4X18650 won't fit on my battery cable(slightly different sized male/female) I know I could order a battery from DX, but I would prefer a domestic battery for less lead time.

Is there a domestic source for these? How close to the 4400mAh rating do I need to be when I look for a new battery? any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with the Amazon 6 cell battery packs, thing to remember is ONE good Panasonic 18650B cell costs $10-15, you're not going to get a top shelf 6 cell pack for $20.

Action-LED has "real" batteries: Action-LED-Lights BATTERIES

only reputable Chinese battery seller on eBay according to MTBR is Hunk Lee, ebay.com/Hunk_lee&_7.4V+panasonic

Quote Originally Posted by Whipray View Post
    I have this DX light. 3000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Black + Silver (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I don't know what it is a clone of, so I'm not sure what battery will work with it. I have another DX single bulb and the 4X18650 won't fit on my battery cable(slightly different sized male/female) I know I could order a battery from DX, but I would prefer a domestic battery for less lead time.

Is there a domestic source for these? How close to the 4400mAh rating do I need to be when I look for a new battery? any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Patski nailed it.

I have a couple of these Action-LED-Lights ? Magicshine MJ-6030 5600mAh Battery Pack They work great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My current charger and light (female end) both have two small pins that the battery cable (male) fits into. Is this a universal connection and will all the above listed batteries work on that connection? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My current charger and light (female end) both have two small pins that the battery cable (male) fits into. Is this a universal connection and will all the above listed batteries work on that connection? Thanks!!
    I don't think so. The batteries at Action LED have a female connector with one pin, like the light in your link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought a hard shell xeccon (mtbrevolution) battery last year that I've been happy with. It's a 6 cell with the standard magicshine connector. It has the same BAK cells as in the magicshine packs. It was only $50. I think they changed to their own proprietary connector now, but it's worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I've had good luck with the Amazon 6 cell battery packs, thing to remember is ONE good Panasonic 18650B cell costs $10-15, you're not going to get a top shelf 6 cell pack for $20.
    I've had good luck with this pack too. I've been using it for just about a year. The fabric case is kind of flimsy, but I use an additional velcro strap for peace of mind.

mtbr member
    I see that Amazon has a waterproof looking replacement battery now, def still a crapshoot according to the reviews.

I bought some 40mm wide velcro straps that do the trick, slips through the "belt loop" on the pack, even use them on my Gloworm.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I've had good luck with this pack too. I've been using it for just about a year. The fabric case is kind of flimsy, but I use an additional velcro strap for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I don't think so. The batteries at Action LED have a female connector with one pin, like the light in your link.
    The light in the link(mine) has those pins as does the charger. They are tiny pins maybe a 16th of an inch apart. The battery connection has one pin that fits in between them. Is this type a standard magicshine connection?

mtbr member
    The light in the link(mine) has those pins as does the charger. They are tiny pins maybe a 16th of an inch apart. The battery connection has one pin that fits in between them. Is this type a standard magicshine connection?
    DC 5.5mmx2.1mm Power Pigtail Female Male Cord Lead 5 Pairs Black

Deal Extreme Light light = Awesome. Battery crapped out in 11mos. Now what?-6162949-hpl._sl1100_.jpg

I like turtles
    As for straps to hold all of these batteries on your bike, check out:

Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS

The Tube Tourniquet is the one I use and it is bullet proof. I cut off the crappy Velcro strap on the nylon bag that came with my cheapies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deal Extreme Light light = Awesome. Battery crapped out in 11mos. Now what?-uploadfromtaptalk1407030285593.jpg  

Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Your picture is exactly what I have. The top three on the left, is what I'm calling the female end that is what's on my light and charger. The bottom three on the left are what I'm calling male, my battery has one of those. Is that what you get with any of these batteries. I realize this might be a stupid question, apologies for my ignorance.

mtbr member
    That's the standard Magicshine connection. The Amazon battery above has that connection as do most other replacement batteries.

mtbr member
    Your picture is exactly what I have. The top three on the left, is what I'm calling the female end that is what's on my light and charger. The bottom three on the left are what I'm calling male, my battery has one of those. Is that what you get with any of these batteries. I realize this might be a stupid question, apologies for my ignorance.
    Not sure what part of the country/world you're from, but I think you have your genders reversed... Of course, I'm in Calif and I could be wrong...

5.5x2.1mm DC Female Pig Tail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deal Extreme Light light = Awesome. Battery crapped out in 11mos. Now what?-517dfmkbeml._sl1000_.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm looking at the internals. That picture above has a pin that goes into a hole. Ultimately that's the connection. The outer is just reinforcing the connection in my mind. I realize that I may be totally off base.

Thanks for everyone's help. I hope they ship a battery with the right connection, none of the photos show the connections

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Amazon one?

mtbr member
    The Amazon one?
    I'm assuming he's a robot. At least, he plagiarized my post word for word...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just all part of the matrix

mtbr member
    Just all part of the matrix
    Deal Extreme Light light = Awesome. Battery crapped out in 11mos. Now what?-agent_smith2.jpg