Days are getting shorter. What are you lighting plans?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Days are getting shorter. What are you lighting plans?

The days are getting shorter. What are your plans for lights this year?

My plan: I just bought the 400R taillight from Dinotte. The 140R worked great, but the more lumens out the back, the better for me. I'm also looking at an 800L especially if they update it and it gets even brighter.

What are your plans?

J.

Mai
    mtbr member
    This combo Dinotte 400L and 800L

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For off-road, or on-road?

Off-road, looks like I'll be using my DiNotte 600L combined with a helmet-mounted flashlight, either my Fenix L2D Q5 or one of my 18650-powered lights. I'm selling my Seca 700 Ultra to help balance my budget (anyone interested in a Seca 700 Ultra?). I'll slap on a SuperFlash or Cherry Bomb and reflective legbands to get to/from the trailhead with some visibility.

On-road, it'll probably be the 600L combined with my Dereelight DBS V2 super-thrower, and either the DiNotte 140L or the Nova BULL in back (depending on which bike), plus a SuperFlash or Cherry Bomb on the helmet, plus a bike decked out with lots of top-of-the-line reflective tape, reflective-sidewall tires, plus reflective legbands and vest. No health insurance, can't afford to get hurt here

stay away, cars!

ballbuster

I like....

... the reflective stickers inside the rims. I should do that to my commuter bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... the reflective stickers inside the rims. I should do that to my commuter bike.
    For sure. No weight penalty, and cheap. This outfit has the high-end Reflexite V82 tape in small quantities if you need a source: http://www.night-gear.com/dot-reflec...-reflexite-638 Trim to fit with scissors. Sticks real good.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    TurboCat S-47 will get me down up and down the trails in fine fashion.

www.turbocatusa.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't ride road after dark but for offroad, I'll be using a Betty (soon to be upgraded) on the bar and a Tesla on the helmet.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Will be riding with a Lupine Wilma wide angle and "old" P4's and a Tesla on the helmet... Have been thinking about the upgrade for the Wilma but for some reason I don't think I need more lumens
    I think we are in a race of getting more and more lumens If I can ride at the speed of day, why do I need more lumens for?
    I'm happy although a little bit obssesive so who knows

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The lumen battle is going to top out pretty quickly. At some point, you have all you need. I'm thinking that all intents and purposes, that is probably at about 1200-1500 lumens out the lens (not lumens estimates based on power in like how Lupine does it). Next, you can see the beam patterns are getting better faster. Check out the Niterider beamshots here:

http://acidinmylegs.blogspot.com/200...eam-shots.html

If that is what it looks like, that is about the nicest beam out there.

The opportunities for innovation are starting to be eaten up and the lights are rapidly becoming commoditized. Not all that hard to believe, this isn't exactly rocket science technology - pretty straightforward. I mean, when you have a light that has as much customization as this NR1200 has, it's hard to see what else is left to add in terms of features.

Once commoditized, the prices come down fast.

J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    For off-road, or on-road?

Off-road, looks like I'll be using my DiNotte 600L combined with a helmet-mounted flashlight, either my Fenix L2D Q5 or one of my 18650-powered lights. I'm selling my Seca 700 Ultra to help balance my budget (anyone interested in a Seca 700 Ultra?). I'll slap on a SuperFlash or Cherry Bomb and reflective legbands to get to/from the trailhead with some visibility.

On-road, it'll probably be the 600L combined with my Dereelight DBS V2 super-thrower, and either the DiNotte 140L or the Nova BULL in back (depending on which bike), plus a SuperFlash or Cherry Bomb on the helmet, plus a bike decked out with lots of top-of-the-line reflective tape, reflective-sidewall tires, plus reflective legbands and vest. No health insurance, can't afford to get hurt here

stay away, cars!
    thats actually really awesome. props to you

Members who have read this thread: 0