cygolite or dinotte?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! cygolite or dinotte?

hey guys. which light system combo would you choose.

1 cygolite mitycroos on helmet and tridenx on handlebar

2 dinotte 400l dual

these are going to be my first bike lights and i really need some advices.
    my budget is about 350

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Everyone's gonna say how Dinoote is the best etc. I don't deny they are a great company.

I think for $350 you should be able to pick up an excellent set of lights.

Me? I run a TridenX on the bars and that was just about plenty (fast singletrack riding). Then, I mounted my Fenix L2D torch light on my helmet for an additional 180 lumens of filler light. The final product is close to 700 lumens for a grand total of about $270. Done. Plus, I get to unstrap the Fenix and walk my dog around the neighborhood at night and use it to go take a leak at night without waking the family. Let's see you do that with any other system.

BBW
    mtbr member
    read the reviews (If you haven't). DiNotte all the way man... just read about their quality, service, reliability, etc

mtbr member
    Hey killa how do you mount the Fenix to your helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by atvkilla
    Everyone's gonna say how Dinoote is the best etc. I don't deny they are a great company.

I think for $350 you should be able to pick up an excellent set of lights.

Me? I run a TridenX on the bars and that was just about plenty (fast singletrack riding). Then, I mounted my Fenix L2D torch light on my helmet for an additional 180 lumens of filler light. The final product is close to 700 lumens for a grand total of about $270. Done. Plus, I get to unstrap the Fenix and walk my dog around the neighborhood at night and use it to go take a leak at night without waking the family. Let's see you do that with any other system.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Gosh, I asked around on some other forums on how to do it, but then I just tryed to rig it my own way.

My Specialized helmet is slightly concave in the center, so that helps nestle it in. Then I found some 1/16" thick rubber "silverware-drawer-liner" kind of stuff (an old innertube would work too but I didn't have any) and wrapped that around the light. Then I just happened to have a strong piece of velcro with a nice plastic loop on one end so I can cinch it down reasonably tight.

I'm kinda F'd though, once the velcro gets too worn, because I don't remember where I got it, and don't know who sells strong velcro with the plastic loop ends. It works good though, and is just as tight at the end of the ride as in the beginning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by samy2222red
    hey guys. which light system combo would you choose.

1 cygolite mitycroos on helmet and tridenx on handlebar

2 dinotte 400l dual

these are going to be my first bike lights and i really need some advices.
    my budget is about 350
    Based on your budget: After checking some prices on the Mitycross vs. the Dinotte 400L I don't think you could buy a duel set-up with either for $350. Dinotte has the better service record. While the Mitycross is cheaper than the 400L, the 400L would be the better choice for helmet mounting with it's tilting mount and interchangeable optics. If you went to the Dinotte website and contacted them via e-mail, they might give you a couple choices for a combo set-up at a discount.
    In your price range I would be thinking: 200L for the bars, 400L for the helmet ( or vise versa ). If you go this route try to get the 200L with Li-ion battery. This is important > If you want the 200L for helmet use you might need the long wire. With Li-ion set-up the wire might be included (?) If you get the 200L 4xAA set-up and you plan on helmet set-up you will need the long wire. Personally, if it were me I would use the 200L bar mounted ( flood optic ) with the 400L helmet mounted ( spot optics ). Later when you get some more buck$ you can supplement the 200L bar mounted lamp with a MTE P-7 torch for additional boost when needed ( 600lm ) if you feel you need a little more light up front. ( Note: MTE P-7 2-mode with charger+ 2x18650 batteries+ bar mount would cost about $80 USD )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-14-2009 at 02:44 AM.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf
    Hey killa how do you mount the Fenix to your helmet?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Well, that solves that!

Is Dealxtreme a reputable company to deal with or will I find all kinds of charges on my credit card from a kid in China? It says free shipping,, but I'd imagine it takes a while to get here to the east coast?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Cat-man-do][B]....If you get the 200L 4xAA set-up and you plan on helmet set-up you will need the long wire.....

I have this setup for my helmet except with the short wire and much prefer it. Having everything on the helmet eliminates routing the cable to the camelback, having enough slack, making sure I don't have TOO much slack, having the helmet tehtered to the camelback, etc. I mount the battery pack toward the rear of the helmet and the light toward the front, so the whole thing is balanced and barely noticeable. YMMV.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Thanks for the mounting tips guys.

atvkilla if you can't find the velcro at your local Ace or whatever then try McMaster-Carr, they have everything you can think of. Here's a link to their hook and loop offerings:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hook-and-loop/=1vkkoh

Grainger is another outfit similar to McMaster.

Members who have read this thread: 0