Cyclebeam 930Z-1 review - Recommend 18650 batteries- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cyclebeam 930Z-1 review - Recommend 18650 batteries

I just picked up a Cyclebeam 930Z-1 flashlight to use as a helmet light for my night riding.
    https://www.cyclebeam.com/store/prod...ded?taxon_id=7

It is really nice and the mount works well for securing to helmet vents. I find that high power is so bright that it washes out my bar light (Amazon single CREE LED Magicshine knockoff). Medium brightness seems to be the sweetspot. There is also a low beam and 2 different blink modes. The light lasted upwards of 3 hours on medium brightness. The light uses a single 18650 lithium ion battery and comes with a single battery charger via USB.

So I decided I wanted a backup 18650 battery or two to toss in the pack. I was at a Batteries Plus store this weekend for other reasons and decided to try one of their NUON 18650 batteries. I found that it will not fit into the charger I got with the light; the NUON battery is too long. How can this be? Wouldn't all 18650's be the same dimensions?

My other question is can someone recommend me a model of 18650 to purchase as a backup? I think I've read Panasonic as well-liked while scanning through threads.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ho

Does it dim after use on high or does it have the electronics to keep it bright throughout it's run span before the battery hits low mode. How long does this last on high beam.

Thx.

MB

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

The better 18650's have a protected circuit which contributes to the larger size. It's a common problem w/ flashlights. Just as the button vs flat top. If the battery fits the torch, pick up a Nitecore charger which will fit any size battery. Under 20 bucks

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Ho

Does it dim after use on high or does it have the electronics to keep it bright throughout it's run span before the battery hits low mode. How long does this last on high beam.

Thx.

MB
    I haven't noticed any dimming of the light. On my ride this weekend I started out for about 15 minutes with it on high power. I then decided to try different brightnesses and settled on the medium for the next hour. After that I left the light on at medium brightness to see how long it would last. After 2 hours it was still going strong. Then I got distracted and by the time I checked again it was well over 3 hours on. The light was flickering and noticeably dimmer. The Cyclebeam website says that this is the light's low battery indicator. I have not done a full burn on high power to see how long it lasts. The ratings are 1 hour on high, 2+ hours on medium, 10+ hours on low.

Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    The better 18650's have a protected circuit which contributes to the larger size. It's a common problem w/ flashlights. Just as the button vs flat top. If the battery fits the torch, pick up a Nitecore charger which will fit any size battery. Under 20 bucks

Pedaling
    Thanks for the explanation rjedoaks. You know I didn't even try to fit the Nuon battery into the flashlight, I figured if I can't charge it I'm not keeping it. I can buy another Cyclebeam 18650 light from Cyclebeam, but I notice when I search Amazon that there are options with a higher mAh rating. I know to not trust capacity claims on a lot of these too-good-to-be-true listings on Amazon, but that's why I wondered if I could trust a Panasonic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Panasonic is considered one of the best, but you will have the same problem. These modern led's run hot, so quality batteries are more stable and have much longer longevity

Pedaling

mtbr member
    When you say I'll have the same problems with Panasonic, do you mean the same problem of not fitting in the charger? Or that one cannot trust mAh ratings? The Cyclebeam battery that it came with is rated at 2600 mAh. The Cyclebeam web store sells single 18650 batteries for $7 ea, but shipping is $4.75. I can buy two for a total of $18.75 which is on par with Amazon offerings of 2x18650 Panasonic batteries including shipping, but the Panasonic batteries have a 3400 mAh rating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm no expert, these are issues I have run into. The Pansonics are both larger in dia. and a bit longer . Won't work is some of my lights. A quality battery is nice and heavy. The cheap Chinese versions weigh nothing and become very hot, while good batteries stay cool even though the torch is very hot. Also make sure the batteries have button tops if that is what you have. I don't pay much attention to the MAH.

mtbr member
    Thanks, good info. I would have assumed that all 18650's had the exact same external dimensions so I'm glad I got some input here. I suppose I'll just pick up some more of the Cyclebeam batteries to play it safe. But thanks for the lead on the Nitecore charger. I like that it works with any rechargeable AA and AAA, too. I'll probably pick one up.

mtbr member
    Just to update. I confirmed that the Nuon battery I bought at Batteries Plus will not work in this light. The diameter is OK, but it is too long and for some reason it does not even power the light on. The Nuon battery has a raised button at the positive end and the Cyclebeam battery does not. I purchased another Cyclebeam battery as well as the Nitecore charger. I'm really liking this light as a helmet mount, but it is a tad heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Glad you got it sorted. The makers ought to be more specific about batteries.

Pedaling